Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What irritates you most about your closest friends!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

I reckon I must be the luckiest girl ever cos I have 2 of the greatest friends anyone could wish for!! Now dont get me wrong, there have been times when the annoy me, but I know I do the same. :)

My best friend has been away for almost the last 2 years travelling and I miss her soooo much. :( She was home for a couple of weeks not long ago and it was brilliant to have her around "in person". I miss the everyday banter with her (obviously phone calls to Oz everyday would NOT be very cost effective!) Even though there are thousands of miles between us our friendship hasnt changed. They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder.....it definately does!

My other friend is always there for a bitch and a moan, but also there to offer advice and support. We love each others children like they are our own. I cant imagine letting 2 or 3 days go by without speaking with her or seeing her.

I've learnt that friendship is a 2 way street. I've spent far too much time worrying why so and so hasnt returned my calls...is it something i did or say etc. Like any relationship both parties involved must put the work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I'm glad that only one of my close female friends has extreme issues with her weight (I mean, she's the only one that verbalises it). It is beyond annoying and makes everyone around her paranoid about their weight. I love her to bits other than this problem she has but I have to assess sometimes if I am able psychologically to see her if I have other issues going on. I know on the one hand this might seem rather selfesh of me but it has been going on a long time. I have tired to help her before to admit there is a problem and try to start a road to recovery but until she realises a problem exists, all I can do is make sure I am around to help her then and maintain my own mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

Mashyling wrote: »
    Is there such thing as a best friend? We chop and change friendships, best friends and other relationships throughout our lives. People grow out of friendships and move on. Is there anything that really annoys you about your friends. Are they inconsiderate, annoying. Does moving in with friends change how you feel about them? Tell All!! What do you guys think?;)

What annoys me most at the present moment is; one of them fair enough has alot going on or had, as have I but it's all built around HER and HER NEEDS, and my crap (just as bad) is just pushed to one side, also she picks at any man I'm friends with or have had any kind of date/thing with at present. Ie: look he ignored me you don't want to be friends/have a bf like that. He hasn't done this yet... bla bla bla

Her sh*t is man related, but when I'm going through crap and she's knows this I've NEVER bitched about a guy she's had a thing with, or complained about situations she's in ect ect. It's like I'm getting the feeling her friends can't be happy unless she is, ie: job wise, man, house ect. I want to work abroad and she keeps trying to put me off, because all her other friends are tied down in some situation be it children or their partners. I just think it's very unfair of her and selfish. I've been there for the past 3 years with this person and have done everything I can to cheer her up when he's let her down, but i'm about to crack. I also want time to hang out with other people and she's always here, like she pops out when her other friends are busy, it's very annoying. I've had to tell her to bugger off on saturday night because it was my actual best friends 21st, and she was trying to get me to cancel just so we could do what we seemingly do every bloody Friday, stay in get drunk and watch ****ty chick flicks.

I need a break - I grew up with this girl, and at times I find it hard to just tell her to piss off LOL I sound very harsh right now, but I've still got to deal with my own crap. I have to stop taking on own peoples sh*t and maybe then I'll learn!! It just makes me want to scream!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

My friends starting stupid fu*ckin threads like this irritates me!

Fu*ckin moany bitches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

One of my closest friends is bulimic. I want to help her, I really do, but if anyone mentions anything about it to her there is a big row. I try to turn a blind eye - but its so hard. I love her so much and its breaking my heart seeing her, with her bones sticking out, referring to herself as fat!

My best male friend is fantastic. Funny, smart, cute - everything!!! He is Polish.... I love him to bits - sometimes things get lost in translation - his english is improving every day though!!!

I love my friends - if they were perfect - they wouldn't be my friends as I am far from perfect myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

One of my closest friends is bulimic. I want to help her, I really do, but if anyone mentions anything about it to her there is a big row. I try to turn a blind eye - but its so hard. I love her so much and its breaking my heart seeing her, with her bones sticking out, referring to herself as fat!

Going through the same thing. We noticed it first about two years ago. It gradually got worse and worse. Now all she talks about is food and exercise or about other peoples. At the time, we did subtly mention things and try to bring it up. Other times, things got so intolerable we tried harder to help her realise there was a problem but she would shut us out more and more then or ignore us completely for a time.

The last straw was when she collapsed in the shower one morning last year and even when I didn't know this I refused to let her go to work because she looked so frail. She hadn't eaten in three days straight either. When I found out these plus about this risky diet drugs she'd been taking, I decided I needed to create some distance for my own mental health. I am still in her life but not to the same extent. I am here for her when she realises the problem but I can't do anymore to help her until then, especially when her mother is the main influence in her life and approves of her current "lifestyle".

Sorry for oversharing.

All my male close friends are amazing and some of the best people I have ever known. As someone above already said, no one is without faults, but they also make a person who they are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

No matter how thin you are I don't think anyone ever thinks they are thin. Hands up who here has ever thought they were thin?

I wouldn't even think of other bigger girls in the room, cause ya know that's their body and this is mine. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest if they're bigger than me, I'm still not happy with my body! People are only ever thinking of themselves, we're all insecure.

I am baffled by the first point, it is definitely not normal for people to never ever think they are thin no matter how thin they are!! There was one time in my life I was thin, and I knew I was thin and I knew I looked great! (I wasn't too thin or anything, I was just thin).

And to say that everyone is only thinking of themselves and not about the bigger people in the room - that may be true but doesn't make it OK! It is why this behaviour has made it on to this thread in the first place, it is irritating to friends. And as others have said, it can and does make other people feel bad about their own bodies when they mightn't otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    My friends starting stupid fu*ckin threads like this irritates me!

Fu*ckin moany bitches

Did anyone invite you in here? No? See ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

ONe of my friends is the biggest drama queen ever. Especailly with new relationships.
    She manages to create drama with even the most nicest and easy going guys. Dunno how she does it. Love her to bits tho :)

Also really REALLY bugs me when they all go on about their boyfriends/potential boyfriends. I don't talk about my boyfriend 24/7 so why would I want to listen to mundane details about yours?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mashyling

Seriously, reading through all your replies, I am not surprised. Women seem to be constantly in competition with each other. Even good friends. I notice that when I dress for a night out, yes I like to look good for my boyfriend, but yes I do like to dress up to look better than my friends. I think its human nature. Now dont get me wrong, I dont rub the fact that I dress better than some of them in their faces or anything. I just happen to be friends with a group of really laid back girls. I would be the girly one so we do dress differently. Its amazing though I see other girls looking me up and down when I walk into a pub, and I look back at them and think, wow they look really good, or wow id love to look like her. I dont know are we all just kidding ourselves worrying about how we look compared to our friends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really get this thread. :confused:

My closest friends are my closest friends because I think they are the greatest people on this planet and I am hopelessly in love with every single one of them, otherwise they wouldn't be my closest friends.
    Nothing irritates me about them, and if it did I'd probably talk to them about it.

I had a lot of issues with 'friends' growing up, and lost almost all of them when I went to college, but in a way I think it was a good thing, because when my TRUE friends came along during/ after college I knew just how wonderful and important they were and have been friends with them ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Fiii wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't really get this thread. :confused:

My closest friends are my closest friends because I think they are the greatest people on this planet and I am hopelessly in love with every single one of them, otherwise they wouldn't be my closest friends.
    Nothing irritates me about them, and if it did I'd probably talk to them about it.

I had a lot of issues with 'friends' growing up, and lost almost all of them when I went to college, but in a way I think it was a good thing, because when my TRUE friends came along during/ after college I knew just how wonderful and important they were and have been friends with them ever since.

While I see what you're saying I take the view that you love your best mates despite their irritating flaws, you don't love them because they don't have any!! And I don't believe all their irritating habits are things that need to be 'talked about'.

From my point of view, one friend will happily go along with any plan I make, but will NEVER come up with a plan of her own. Basically of the 'I don't mind' sort mentioned earlier.

Another is ALWAYS late. Always. In fact two of them are. I definitely talk to them about that one, but nothing changes!

Another is a bit passive aggressive, in the sense that she won't tell you directly if something is annoying her, but she will make it very clear in other ways.

Advertisement