Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What irritates you most about your closest friends!

Options
  • 11-10-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Is there such thing as a best friend? We chop and change friendships, best friends and other relationships throughout our lives. People grow out of friendships and move on. Is there anything that really annoys you about your friends. Are they inconsiderate, annoying. Does moving in with friends change how you feel about them? Tell All!! What do you guys think?;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I don't get to see them nearly as often as I'd like to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

One of my best friends can have the biggest heart but can also be the biggest b*tch.

She never likes any of our bfs and always tries to offer poor relationship advice and tries to push it even thought she's never been in a relationship. She can be very judgemental of what you're wearing and thinks that she's a serious fashionista (she's really not). She would say stuff like "she was so big, about your size or maybe a bit smaller" and I know I'm carrying some weight but I'm a 16 ffs! She gets thick over the smallest thing and she's quite immature compared to the rest of us despite being 3 weeks younger than me. She's obsessed with maintaining friendships with people that clearly have no interest and insists on going to the world and its mother's 21st.

She can just be so bitchy and nasty but then she can turn around and show that she has a heart of gold, it's like she's two personalities.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

oh when they are all talk about their new BF and going into all the details, forgetting in their excitment you've just had your heart broken.
    Its not intentional on their part, as they are very supportive and all about the "getting back out there" - but I really don't want to hear about all the rosemantic things their new beau is up too...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭tough__cookie

I hate when they stop making an effort to meet up / ring you and then your the one doing all the ringing and trying to meet up with them. :mad:

That's exactly why I don't hang around with them anymore, you can only do so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Well I'm not saying anything on here. As I know a few of my friends in real life are on boards. Not that I have ANYTHING bad to say :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 stick_figure

I have a friend who can't make a decision to save her life. Everything is "I don't mind, I'm easy, I'll do anything, I don't mind, I don't mind, I don't mind, I don't mind". I didn't ask to be the captain of your ship - grow a spine and make a decision already!!!

Indecision really grates on me, in case you hadn't noticed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pinkpigs

Love my b.f. to bits but lately she is really full on and she thinks that she is always right. I've had to make a lot of tough choices and while I am the one who has to live with them if they go t*its up she loves saying 'I told you so'. Normally I would give as good as I get but I feel very worn down at the mo and couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag. Why do some people have to be opinionated??

P.P

Oh I just thought of another one, the friend who never puts their hand in their pocket!!!:mad:

Its never her round!! It annoys me even more then when I see her taking drinks from friends of friends that she doesnt know and then never buys one back. This is the kind of girl who comes to a party with her hands empty. I mean supplying the grub is grand but come on like, bring a bottle of wine or something!! Or if you're sharing a taxi she always only has a 50!! ALWAYS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Let's not forget the friend, ladies, who's a size eight and constantly complains that she's SO FAT, generally to her plus-size friends. Yeah, love, it must be so hard for you, what with your size constantly on sale everywhere.

Oh! Or the one who borrows your clothes and then gets upset because they don't fit. "I'm even more fat than YOU!" I'm sorry?

Or the friend who actually is a lot fatter than you but makes out that you're the fat one :mad:

• Advertisement

YES. This is the same friend who squeezes herself into your clothes, stretches them out, probably claims you're the same size and not so privately thinks she's smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Dealing with their drunkenness on a night out.

Too many assumptions are made about non-drinkers being happy to be sensible, but many times I'd have liked to leave them to it and go home but as the only sober one I feel too responsible.:(

Other than that, the ones who gossip all night about people you don't even know, and expect you to show actual interest. I. Don't. Care.

And the drama queens who complain about being treated badly by people they allow to treat them badly. If he's that bad, walk away. Don't expect me to listen to the same story every week when you know the cure!

Oh, and the ones who go out and spend all night checking out who's looking at them. The night is usually one long pose.

I've had a bad weekend, sorry for the rant :D.

YES. This is the same friend who squeezes herself into your clothes, stretches them out, probably claims you're the same size and not so privately thinks she's smaller.

oh my god oh my god do we have the same friend!!!! thats her!!!!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

When they don't realise that I am ALWAYS right, like always, they should know by now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

I have great friends, but there are quite a few things that annoy me about them
    Friend 1: is a nurse, and yes she does work nights, but my God sometimes it feels like she is the only one working the way she goes on. Ya you work hard, but so do i, i just don't go on about it!

Friend 2: moans about not ever having money. She owes me 100eur. Yet she is the first always on wkends away and new clothes:mad:

Friend 3: too insecure. Literally will bring everything back to herself. Gives out to me because i work in the public sector and have a secure (enough) job and she has a job that isin't so secure. My reaction is always, "Well if you didn't feck off to Oz for 2 years, while i stayed at home and worked my ass off for the job, than maybe you might have secured something better."
    Rant over

I have a friend who must have been born on the dole. All he ever does is bang on about how tired he is from nights out drinking :mad: really pisses me off! I never go on about how tired I am from my full-time job and my training. Oh and then he feels the urge to text or ring me at 3am the weekends to tell me gossip when he knows I work the weekends. (always keep phone on silent coz of this but its still annoying)

(not having a go at people on the dole, this guy just doesn't want to work, lazy out)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Regarding a few, not all of my friends: They don't have enough ambition. They are really intelligent, learn new things so quickly, could have a conversation on any topic under the sun, yet have no interest in getting any formal qualifications, or even a job that would let them learn new things or demonstrate their ability.
    They're happy to just stay on the dole, and drink their money away at weekends.[This is even when there was jobs]
    It's very frustrating, because they have so much potential, but just were never taught to see themselves as college or career type people. All their life they will just 'settle' for a job they hate, or else just for the easy but repetitive boring type of life of doing nothing everyday, and living for the weekend.
    Some of them are happy like this, so that's ok, but some are unhappy so I try to tell them of all the opportunities that are available to them, and to make them see that they ARE capable of doing anything they set their mind to.
    It's very hard to change the perception of someone who has no self belief though, and it upsets and frustrates me, but I'll always keep trying.

[Just in case anyone jumps on me,I wouldn't try to change a friend who didn't want to change, but for the ones who do I will offer help and support.
    I'm by no ways perfect myself, but am trying my best to get my degree, and hopefully a career I love in the future, and they all support me, so I try to support them too, no matter what job/hobby/dream they decide to follow.]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

For me, moving in with or going travelling with a best friend usually ended the friendship. I've noticed that is a lot of other people's experience as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

I hate when they stop making an effort to meet up / ring you and then your the one doing all the ringing and trying to meet up with them. :mad:

That's exactly why I don't hang around with them anymore, you can only do so much.
    I don't mind if that's the case for the first year of their new relationship but after a year I think it's time to .... throw in the towel?

oh my god oh my god do we have the same friend!!!! thats her!!!!!! :eek:

Nah, we all know one of them. Same friend who is constantly on a diet, constantly not losing any weight and constantly eating around you.

• Advertisement

Best mate #1: It's not exactly her fault but she has a severe lack of confidence. Especially when it comes to dating. Even if someone clearly has an interest in her she insists that they must have an ulterior motive. She just doesn't see what a pleasant, attractive person she is.

Best mate #2: He's another story. He's a cocky little so-and-so that always has to tell you everything about his conquests, and expects the same back. His entire routine revolves around whoever he's seeing at the moment - to the point where he'll skip his friends' birthdays and other special occasions. Sometimes I really wish he'd prioritise a bit more :(
    He also leeches his poor parents dry.

It's not that I don't love them. They just irritate me... a LOT ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

Ok so my last message was a little in jest :D but I've honestly been racking my brains for something that annoys me about my friends & can't think of anything.

I am a bit of an introvert and it takes me AGES to get to know people and let them in so I suppose when you get into that group it means you are pretty special. I have only about 7 people that I consider good friends and I think they are great. Of course no-one is perfect, we can call each other on things if needs be but there isn't anyone that has a quality or does something repeatedly that annoys me (maybe I'm the annoying one in the group :eek:)

Of course there are loads of people who I am friendly with that annoy me but I just don't give those people much of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I wouldnt have that many friends (just not that sort of person) but the ones I do have are fantastic they drive me crazy sometimes with stupid thungs but Im certain that I drive them crazy too so I expect them to say nothing and vice versa!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

How bad they are with their money/finances :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Let's not forget the friend, ladies, who's a size eight and constantly complains that she's SO FAT, generally to her plus-size friends. Yeah, love, it must be so hard for you, what with your size constantly on sale everywhere.

Oh! Or the one who borrows your clothes and then gets upset because they don't fit. "I'm even more fat than YOU!" I'm sorry?

To be honest I do this (the first one). I'm thin but I would say I'm unhappy with my figure cause I've a really massive stomach, I just put all the weight on there.

So if there's a bigger girl around and she say she's unhappy with her weight, I say 'yeah me too' and I'm greeted with scornful looks of"you? There's not a pick on you!"

Would they prefer me to go around saying "I have such a great body don't you agree"??

Annoying! I'm not happy with my body and I don't think any woman ever is!

I agree with you about not everyone is happy with their bodies but a size 8 is nowhere near fat!

If a girl is an 8 I and she's moaning about being fat to her friend who's double her size, how big do you think that makes her friend feel??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

I agree with you about not everyone is happy with their bodies but a size 8 is nowhere near fat!

If a girl is an 8 I and she's moaning about being fat to her friend who's double her size, how big do you think that makes her friend feel??

I don't think this is fair, it's all relative to the individual.

I might want to be a size 8 but if my size 8 friend is whining about having a fat day i'm not going to dismiss her feelings just because i'm a bigger size than her. Just because she's a size 8 doesn't mean that she's not allowed have some insecurities about her body shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

maple wrote: »
    I don't think this is fair, it's all relative to the individual.

I might want to be a size 8 but if my size 8 friend is whining about having a fat day i'm not going to dismiss her feelings just because i'm a bigger size than her. Just because she's a size 8 doesn't mean that she's not allowed have some insecurities about her body shape.

But it is just so insensitive to talk about being fat to someone who is clearly and objectively fatter than you? It's just common decency?

Would you moan about not having enough spending money to someone on the dole? Would you give out about your mum being annoying to someone who's mother has just died? Those feelings are real too, but there's a time and a place!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Kooli wrote: »
    But it is just so insensitive to talk about being fat to someone who is clearly and objectively fatter than you? It's just common decency?
    Yes, but you're assuming that the larger person has issues with their own size. What if they don't?

And I don't think it fair that someone more slender than you (not you personally Kooli) not be allowed have a fat day and have a moan about feeling fat.

Obviously there is a difference between having a genuine I'm having a fat day moan and a fake I'm having a fat day moan. But I don't think that a skinnier person shouldn't be allowed have a moan too.
    Would you moan about not having enough spending money to someone on the dole?
    Again, within reason yes I would. Just because i'm not on the dole doesn't mean that i'm not allowed have a whinge about being skint. Times are tough and alot of people have been affected by cuts.

Again using common sense, I wouldn't start moaning about only being able to afford a 30 euro mascara instead of my usual 50 euro one. That's just ridiculous, but no I don't see any harm in having a genuine rant about things.
    Would you give out about your mum being annoying to someone who's mother has just died? Those feelings are real too, but there's a time and a place!
    That, I think is an extreme example and of course discretion would be required in this circumstance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

No matter how thin you are I don't think anyone ever thinks they are thin. Hands up who here has ever thought they were thin? I certainly haven't, its in our nature to pick at ourselves. To focus on what needs fixing and what needs changing.

It's like when I am talking to my mother about getting wrinkles, she said to me once "god will you stop, if you look old what do I look like!", and I wasn't even thinking of her at all, she was thinking I was implying: "wow she's REALLY old" .it was me I was picking at. We always pick at ourselves!

If there's a bigger girl near me saying how fat she feels, I never EVER think "HA yes you're really fat, I'm thinner than you haha!, instead I IMMEDIATELY think of what I don't like about my own body.

Similiarly the odd time I might come out with a comment first, something along the lines ofL "ugh I really want to tone up my stomach" I wouldn't even think of other bigger girls in the room, cause ya know that's their body and this is mine. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest if they're bigger than me, I'm still not happy with my body! People are only ever thinking of themselves, we're all insecure.

I'm sure alot of women can agree with me on this.

Advertisement