Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU to rejoin USI, your thoughts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭MonaghanPenguin

OrionsBelt wrote: »
    The yes side had Gary and Steve Conlon. the No side had Declan Traynor and Dara McGann.

Originally former DCUSU President Niall McLaimh was supposed to speak on the No side but had to pull out prompting Dara to step in. He seemed hungover

I like that you used my Irish name.

When's counting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Daysha wrote: »
    But what I do know is USI aren't at fault for allowing reg frees to double or quadrupled in the last few years, and they're going to go up again next year regardless of whether we're with USI or not. But at a time when the countries education system is going to face possibly its biggest challenge in the history of the state, paying 8 quid to join forces with 250,000 other students in an organisation which CAN have a say if we work with them is something I can live with.
    You see I do disagree with this, primarily because it shows a complete failure to see the reality of the situation. I've spoken about this before in other threads so I won't repeat myself again here but the idea that the USI will stand there screaming for no fees and no increases rather than actually sitting down and suggesting a viable alternative (such as that found in the UK) is completely idiotic. To make matters worse, are you said yourself, they are actually in the best position to lobby the government, at least from the students perspectives, on this issue and they've chosen to waste it on this silly campaign which will only hurt the universities and as a result, the students, in the long run. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tomar-re

Gotta go with gizmo on this, there have been ten years of good times to find an alternative system of funding to 3rd level education. They are mandated by their voters who are the worst hacks of SU politics and the USI is run by carreer union heads who are waiting to bounce onto a county council seat rather then be there for the students.
    If you want a more equitable model look at australia or some of those with graduate fees.

What was the problem with the speakers for the no side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

As a random aside, where the no side debaters wearing poppies? Thought I saw them, but I was too far away to say for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Jesus get over it, does Northern Ireland affect every aspect of your life?

• Advertisement

discus wrote: »
    Jesus get over it, does Northern Ireland affect every aspect of your life?
    Huh? I ask because I said earlier that I had not seen anyone wearing them, then I remembered the lads from last night. Was just wondering, no need for the overreaction. Im not gonna get into a debate on it here, I was just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tomar-re

I heard that too, it appears that the badges look like poppies from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

no stickers of some sort maybe? seemed too small from what i remember to be poppies.

stickers of some sort maybe? seemed to small from what i remember to be poppies.
    Yeah maybe, they put them on just before the debate started, from where I was sitting they looked like metallic poppy pins(I was at the back) I thought it was very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Yeah maybe, they put them on just before the debate started, from where I was sitting they looked like metallic poppy pins(I was at the back) I thought it was very strange!

Aye, I'm pretty sure they're the Vote No badges. Never occurred to me to think they look like poppies, but they probably do from afar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN! I am proudly wearing my poppy.

Any word on voting yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Nothing wrong with wearing a poppy anyway, Ireland was involved in and Irishmen gave their lives in World War I remember.

Anyway back on topic, when are results out? Has counting begun?

robby^5 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with wearing a poppy anyway, Ireland was involved in and Irishmen gave their lives in World War I remember.
    I suggest you look up what the poppy actually stands for. I will say no more on it here however.
    Anyway back on topic, when are results out? Has counting begun?
    Well there is still voting going on today isn't there?

I heard that there only needs to be around a 1000 or so votes cast for this referendum to be "legal". Does anyone else think thats a bit low?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭myk

I heard that there only needs to be around a 1000 or so votes cast for this referendum to be "legal". Does anyone else think thats a bit low?

Usually I would say not, but in this case, where a Yes vote levies a fee on all students including future students I would have thought it would be more appropriate to raise the threshold of quorom for a Yes vote to be valid. It is academic now anyway.

myk wrote: »
    Usually I would say not, but in this case, where a Yes vote levies a fee on all students including future students I would have thought it would be more appropriate to raise the threshold of quorom for a Yes vote to be valid. It is academic now anyway.
    It will be interesting to see the level of voter apathy among the student body anyways.

It will be interesting to see the level of voter apathy among the student body anyways.

Usually only about a quarter of full-time students vote in SU exec elections; 1,900-2,000 out of 8,000. This being earlier in the year, students, especially first years might be more involved. However voting on an organisation (USI) rather than multiple candidates seeking votes, perhaps turn-out levels will be down on SU exec elections.

My guess 1,400-1,600. And a further completely uneducated guess on the results 55%-45% No!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I admit I've been surprised by what I've heard around campus recently. I assumed based on this thread that No was going to run away with it, but it could be a lot closer than the poll would lead you to believe. Met a LOT of Yes people yesterday.

Quit all this poppy-talk as well by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Daysha wrote: »
    I admit I've been surprised by what I've heard around campus recently. I assumed based on this thread that No was going to run away with it, but it could be a lot closer than the poll would lead you to believe. .

This is to be expected, this thread was always preaching to the converted. And people who don't know better either way will say yes by default because it sounds more positive, and "unity is a good thing". I know I've voted for things for that reason while in DCU. It's a side effect of only having a tiny minority of students involved in the SU in any way.

So?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Probably a stupid question, but I'm not very observant and haven't seen an answer.
    When will we know how it went? I assume some time next week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StiLL-TrAiNinG

It depends on when the votes are counted I suppose. It's possible we'd have a result tomorrow :o

Next week sometime is more likely though.

It depends on when the votes are counted I suppose. It's possible we'd have a result tomorrow :o

Next week sometime is more likely though.

Well votes for exec elections used to be counted on the night. This one should be much more straight forward; just sorting and counting. No quotas, no preferences. It would be possible to count in an hour tops. No reason to delay till next week!

Usually the returning officer would know the amount of people who voted throughout the days the polls are open. Any indication on turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It's a no. Somewhere around 70% have rejected re-affiliating with USI.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Russell_James

DCU votes NO to USI.

Total Poll 1114,

Spoiled votes 4,

Total Valid of 1110.

Yes 339
    No 771

-Returning Officer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ronanohart

Great result
    I am delighted DCU students still believe that USI representation is not for them.

Maybe now USI will realise that they may actually need to reform before DCU and other institutions will re-affiliate
    I live in hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

Good Stuff, Brilliant Result.

Congrats to all involved with the No campaign.. that clears that up, for another 2 years anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Wow. Well done DCU :)

Was not expecting that at all (despite the poll on this thread), congrats to the no campaign. Should send USI a strong message.

Well done DCU students, and well done to those who led the No campaign.

When USI reforms, improves and lowers its costs then it will be time to consider this issue again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

faith in students++

Well done to the no campaign, we're safe for 2 years!

Advertisement