Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I live in Utrecht. It's a lovely, lively wee city.

Overvecht is the only place I know to be best avoided, but I live fairly close to there and shop in the mall over there and it's not awful.

Accomodation is plentiful but can be on the dear side, you can check out rental prices here: http://www.funda.nl/huur/gemeente-utrecht/

Public transport is brilliant, plentiful, regular and clean. We mostly have buses in Utrecht, I think there's some trams that go in the direction of the University but I live on the north side. You will want to get an OV chipcard, either a personal one with your picture on it linked to a bank account, or an anonymous one that costs 7.50 that can be charged at a machine and used by anyone. Your OV chipcard can also be used on trams and buses all over NL and if you activate it for train use and keep more than 20 euro on it can be used in place of train tickets too. Cash fares instead of OV chipcard can be almost double, so you'll want one of these ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Super! Much appreciated.
    Also - What's it like for a non-Dutch speaker?

Not much of a problem at all. Utrecht attracts a lot of international students so English is the lingua franca in the centre, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Hi boardsies, I was in the Gemeente last week registering at my address and only checked it now but they have given me a different number than the temporary BSN I've had for the last year?! I thought when you went from a temporary BSN to registering at an address the number was supposed to stay the same. I know i should have checked it when I was in there but I was in a rush and just assumed it was the same number. I get my 30% rule through my temporary BSN so I assume this is going to cause an issue?

Hi stickybookmark, I don't know the answer to your question but you should get on to them right away to get it sorted. Have you got a DIGID log in to see if you can check it out from there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Nope. As I've only just registered I'm waiting to get my first DigiID

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

if anyone have questions how things go in Holland send me a pm, I'm dutch :)

Advertisement