Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands

Options
  • 10-10-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just putting this out there to see if any other boardsies are in Netherlands. I started work placement here in September. Will be here until next September. Living in Utrecht

Have found it easy enough to meet people. Having an Irish accent seems a good conversation starter!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

According to data here, something like 3% of Boards traffic overall comes from the Netherlands, so there must be a few around...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

wow. whats with the massive amount of german traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I work 4-5 days a week at the moment in Amsterdam. Company pays for an apartment here as it's more cost-efficient than a hotel in the long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I live and work in Amsterdam, been here for 12 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Myself and the fella are in Eindhoven, have been here for a year and were in Den Haag for two years before that. Unfortunately don't meet enough Irish in Eindhoven :(. I had canvassed here before for a meetup somewhere central enough but there wasn't any interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

I live in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Living in Eindhoven with about two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Good to see a few others based in Eindhoven.

I pm'd a few of you.

I wonder if there is enough people to make an Eindhoven thread?

judas101 wrote: »
    I wonder if there is enough people to make an Eindhoven thread?

It would be great to get a boards beers going, with a view to an Irish club or something- I know there's one in Amsterdam but we're lacking it here.

Well the public transport is pretty excellent.

I suggest Utrecht;) - very central and has a decent Irish bar

• Advertisement

Mick O Connells is it, haven't been down that way in a while so count me in if we can get a few together.

I'd be up for that.

Aye Mick OÇonnells in the centre I think would be most suitable, spacious, nice food too. Another place O'learys is a smaller place.

Perhaps Mid November?

Aye Mick OÇonnells in the centre I think would be most suitable, spacious, nice food too. Another place O'learys is a smaller place.

Perhaps Mid November?

How about the weekend of 13/14 November?

Razzle wrote: »
    How about the weekend of 13/14 November?

I can't make it that weekend.

It would have to be the following weekend for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I lived in Amsterdam for about 5 months, may be going back there in a few months again. Just posting here to keep track of this thread!

Anytime in nov provisionally fine with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 vinny_963

yea im over in eindhoven and theres an absolute tonne of irish here, where i work theres at least 50 of us and theres more on the way over, o sheas any night of the week will have a few in fact im going there now

I've just started a Twitter account for the Eindhoven crew, if anyone is interested in joining up? We could get more organised :)

https://twitter.com/#!/EindhovenIrish

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

It would be great to get a boards beers going, with a view to an Irish club or something- I know there's one in Amsterdam but we're lacking it here.

Im heading over to Eindhoven in the new year, my boyfriend moved over to work so providing I can find work I'll be staying too. Anytime Ive been over to visit we went to O Sheas Irish bar, plenty of Irish people in there and he likes it because they show all the sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 miss smeldon

hi there ,
    i live in horst , a half hour from eindhoven and love an good ol pint of guinness in o'sheas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bread

I was wondering what are the best job sites/agencies for job searching in the netherlands. I am in Dublin hoping to move to either london or amsterdam or anywhere. I work in HR at the moment and suppose I would like to get a job in that area. Is it a big issue not speaking dutch if working there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Wow, did not realise there were a few boardsies in the Netherlands. I've been in Den Haag since the start of september, really enjoying it :)
    bread wrote: »
    I was wondering what are the best job sites/agencies for job searching in the netherlands. I am in Dublin hoping to move to either london or amsterdam or anywhere. I work in HR at the moment and suppose I would like to get a job in that area. Is it a big issue not speaking dutch if working there?
    Not speaking dutch makes it a bit more difficult to find a job, but the Netherlands is a very "international" country in terms of business, so you should still be able to find something without much difficulty if you have good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Daddio wrote: »
    Wow, did not realise there were a few boardsies in the Netherlands. I've been in Den Haag since the start of september, really enjoying it :)

Not speaking dutch makes it a bit more difficult to find a job, but the Netherlands is a very "international" country in terms of business, so you should still be able to find something without much difficulty if you have good experience.

Lived in Den Haag for 2 years, wierd ol spot. Invaded by Expats, De Paap and De Pijperlaan are about the only 2 late night bars :)
    Try out legalaliens
    www.legalaliens.eu good few meetups, pool nights, beer tastings etc.
    Dean and John the lads that run it are great :)

Den Haag is not a very Dutch town, pain in the arse to learn Dutch , people always reply in English no matter what you do !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Any other boardsies in Haarlem?

Living here til next August with 5 other Irish students on an internship. Fair few ex-pats in the company we work in and also lots of Irish in the area. The owners of the local Irish pub Tierneys have just opened a shop selling Irish goods (Irish rashers, sausages, butters, cheese and Cadburys!) so bit of an Irish invasion going on here at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

What are you doing in your internship as a matter of interest?

I'm working as a freelancer over here, really enjoying it but the amount of paperwork is ridiculous. Doe anyone know if there are any citizens advice bureaus around Den Haag? Everything is in dutch, and trying to understand the long lists of regulations and BTW returns etc etc is doing my head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Am thinking of bailing from eire to the netherlands - whats the best job searching sites for an architect currently back in college studying software development?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

robby^5 wrote: »
    Any other boardsies in Haarlem?

Living here til next August with 5 other Irish students on an internship. Fair few ex-pats in the company we work in and also lots of Irish in the area. The owners of the local Irish pub Tierneys have just opened a shop selling Irish goods (Irish rashers, sausages, butters, cheese and Cadburys!) so bit of an Irish invasion going on here at the moment :D

You're joking? Deadly! Where abouts is it?

Dunphus wrote: »
    You're joking? Deadly! Where abouts is it?

A Taste of Home (Gedempte Oude Gracht 42, Haarlem)

There's a facebook group you can join too where they post about what they're getting in and when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Also, if your hanging for some proper cheddar, Jumbo Supermarkets sell Rashers (most rashers sold in Ireland come from bloody Holland in the first place) and Cathedral Cheddar, Heinz Baked beans (Witte Bonen in Dutch) although the Jumbo own brand are nearly the same.

Burts Crisps are nice too and they even sell Coolmore cakes, Scones and clotted cream, if your into that sort of thing.

http://www.jumbosupermarkten.nl/Over-Jumbo/De-Jumbo-winkels/Alle-Jumbo-winkels/

Try out some of the sausages there as well, well decent, not like the Denny Skinless though !!

The expat shops are grand for the odd bit of Bisto, but tbh they are a bit pricey to be going to the whole time.

Myself and the G/F load of 15 kilos of stuff into a checking bag when were coming back from Ireland, I brought back a load of lucozade :D

If your in the Hague theres Kellys:
    http://www.kellys-expat-shopping.eu/

Advertisement