Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

So I saw something 'different' yesterday at work here I thought I would share.

I work for a company that has a factory. The factory is comprised of people from all around Europe, but mostly Polish. There are lots of Polish working here in Holland right now, most of which drove here from Poland.

Apparently the government has had problems with foreigners coming into the country and never switching over their car and registering it here. So they passed a law saying if you have a foreign reg car and the tax is out of date by a certain amount, the government can legally seize it. Not only that, they crush it within 24 hours, usually less.

It was a big scene here at the factory as the police came into the car park and just started towing cars away and loading up scooters and motorbikes on lorries and taking them away.

No warning, no chance to retrieve anything you have in the vehicle, just they police come to a car park, do a sweep, see a foreign reg with expired tax and they take it directly to the junkyard and crush it then and there.

Lots of angry workers finishing up their shifts coming out to find their transportation is no more.

I thought to myself, there would be war in Ireland if they ever tried to implement such a law!

Also if you are moving here make sure to switch your car reg over pretty soon after arrival or make damn sure it is taxed up in Ireland at least until the time you leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

CptSternn wrote: »
    So I saw something 'different' yesterday at work here I thought I would share.

I work for a company that has a factory. The factory is comprised of people from all around Europe, but mostly Polish. There are lots of Polish working here in Holland right now, most of which drove here from Poland.

Apparently the government has had problems with foreigners coming into the country and never switching over their car and registering it here. So they passed a law saying if you have a foreign reg car and the tax is out of date by a certain amount, the government can legally seize it. Not only that, they crush it within 24 hours, usually less.

It was a big scene here at the factory as the police came into the car park and just started towing cars away and loading up scooters and motorbikes on lorries and taking them away.

No warning, no chance to retrieve anything you have in the vehicle, just they police come to a car park, do a sweep, see a foreign reg with expired tax and they take it directly to the junkyard and crush it then and there.

Lots of angry workers finishing up their shifts coming out to find their transportation is no more.

I thought to myself, there would be war in Ireland if they ever tried to implement such a law!

Also if you are moving here make sure to switch your car reg over pretty soon after arrival or make damn sure it is taxed up in Ireland at least until the time you leave!

Its not expired tax their looking for (Its not possible to tell if their Tax is up to date)

Its the Plate.

Its been like that for as long as I can remember, I cross the border every day and you see the super checkpoints setup by the Douane (Customs)

You have 6 months to switch over to a Dutch Registration, during this you can apply for a BPM (Belasting van personenauto's en motorrijwielen) exemption, pretty much the same as VRT in Ireland.

We had a colleague in work that was registered with the Gemeente in Den Haag driving a German registered car from Sixt, car was siezed and the Douane wanted 9000 euros to release it, even though he didn't own the car.

It was sorted out in the end once he was able to prove that his Dutch residence was not his Primary residence.

If you are registered with the City Hall in the Netherlands and have resided there for over 6 months, you cannot rent, own or borrow a foreign registered car (unless you apply for an exemption up front)

http://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/bldcontentnl/belastingdienst/prive/auto_en_vervoer/belastingen_op_auto_en_motor/vrijstellingen_bij_kort_gebruik_auto_of_motor_in_nederland/temporary_exemption_from_passenger_cars_and_motorised_vehicles_tax_motor_vehicle_tax

Funnily enough the exact same rules apply in Ireland, if you are resident in the Republic and are caught driving a foreign car you can pay the VRT on the spot or its seized immediately, even if the car is on private land.

They seize around 140 cars a month in the Republic.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/customs-seizes-cars-from-ukreg-tax-cheats-28895239.html

By the way, they don't crush them, they go up for Auction after a specified period.

http://www.domeinenrz.nl/domeinenrz_nl/0b45d282e3fc1da4c302a872fa747719.php?veilingen=2013-08

But yeh, they are there over 6 months then they are dodging tax, a neighbor of mine is saving around 2500 euros a year not having to pay Dutch motor tax on his car.

Its not just Polish cars either, I'd say there are more German cars seized than Polish ones.

E.G. This one was seized:
    http://www.domeinenrz.nl/domeinenrz_nl/0b45d282e3fc1da4c302a872fa747719.php?veilingen=2013-08&kfrom=1&search=Mercedes&images=1&pamount=25&show=Toon&meerfotos=7216&kterug=7216

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    But yeh, they are there over 6 months then they are dodging tax, a neighbor of mine is saving around 2500 euros a year not having to pay Dutch motor tax on his car.

Its not just Polish cars either, I'd say there are more German cars seized than Polish ones.
    <snip>
    how much are dutch motor tax rates then so?
    Have you a link to a table for the various cc or emmissions motor tax rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I had another story to share for anyone who is going to Holland - avoid Texaco.

There are a few Texacos around Holland. Many of them are fully automated petrol stations. They have a few pumps, and a machine which you put your card in and pay for petrol.

You have to watch out for these as they put a 'hold' on funds when you put your card in to one of these. I went to one in Dongen and thought it was a brilliant idea. Quick, easy, and you don't have to go inside, just put your card in the machine and start pumping.

I got €30 worth of petrol and away I went. It was not until later that evening I found out what had happened. See, up to €75 in petrol they automatically bill your card for €150. After ten (10) working days (two weeks) they drop the difference back into your account. So they took out €150, and then two weeks later I got €120 back in my account from them.

A mate of mine got caught out the same way. His was worse though, as he was filling up a larger truck and got €75 in petrol, and they put a hold on his account for €250.

So if you do not have the money, you will be overdrafted. If you do the the money, the bank takes it out of your account for two weeks and you cannot touch it.

I was stuck living on €20 till pay day due to the fact they took an extra €120 out I was not planning on.

And this is not limited to just the automated stations or even Holland actually. Turns out Texaco are doing this in many countries at automated stations and stations with actual cashiers.

http://www.kxan.com/news/money-being-held-hostage-at-gas-pump-

I rang them up and went round and round with them over this. They tried to claim it was MY BANK who did this, but after a bit of sleuthing on Google and of course speaking with my own bank I found this is not only a lie, but something they are trained to tell you to get people to stop bothering them. The hold is not put on my account by the bank, it is put on by THEIR bank. I rang PTSB and they even told me the bank which had the hold on the funds, and it wasn't my bank. When I rang up and confronted the Texaco rep with a few links and the name of his bank, he hung up on me.

Anyway, I thought I would share that. I mean, that is just dangerous. If I were on holiday for a couple weeks travelling with my family and stopped off the motorway for petrol and the ONLY petrol station for five miles either way was this automated one and I got €75 in petrol and therefore lost €250 for the next two weeks, that could cause problems on my holiday.

Luckily I had money coming in to my account soon enough that it only caused a slight bit of bother for a limited number of days, but I could see people easily getting caught out like this, as the places they have these automated stations are close to the motorway in areas where there are no other stations.

Just a heads up.

how much are dutch motor tax rates then so?
    Have you a link to a table for the various cc or emmissions motor tax rates?

There's a calculator here:
    http://www.belastingdienst.nl/rekenhulpen/motorrijtuigenbelasting/

E.G. Diesel Range Rover Sport 2.7 Diesel is € 2808,00 per year or 700 euros per quarter in Noord Brabant

A 2 liter Diesel Octavia Estate is € 1300,00 per year or 325 per quarter.

In Germany you pay roughly 326/year for the same Octavia Estate and save yourself a whack of money on the purchase price from new.

Motor Tax in Poland/Germany/The UK/Ireland is way less hence why people tend to stay on non Dutch plates as long as possible.

Also there is no Plate Database sharing agreement between Poland and the Netherlands, UK or Ireland either, so they are pretty much immune from speeding/parking fines.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Holiday money is very common here, you get about 8% of your yearly wage as a holiday bonus. If it's in your contract you get it, Irish or not. Enjoy. :D

Wow, this sounds really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CountingClocks

Usually it's included in your gross salary so it's not really a bonus. It just means that 8% is held back each month and then paid out to you in May each year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Fraggle Rock

Hi folks,

Long time lurker here.

I came back from living abroad 6 months ago and I'm ready to move again. I've been a teacher in recent years but would like a change. I'm not looking for big money, just enough to get by and would be willing to work at pretty much anything within reason.

Is it possible to get work in the Netherlands without having the language? I'm thinking along the lines of working in a factory, bar, warehouse etc. I'm just looking for a job that will pay my keep over there or anywhere in Europe for that matter.

Is it possible at all?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

Language is not a major barrier here in Holland. Everyone speaks English, so you could get by easily in many positions, much more so as in, for example, Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Who's watching the Clare v Cork on Sunday? Hubby's away so might head into O Sheas in Eindhoven :D

• Advertisement

minnow wrote: »
    Language is not a major barrier here in Holland. Everyone speaks English, so you could get by easily in many positions, much more so as in, for example, Germany.

Thanks for your reply.

Would any company realistically take someone on though? Are there companies who find it hard to find non-skilled staff? Or is unemployment high like it is in Ireland therefore making it an employer's market?

(I have a skill, it's just not useable in The Netherlands).

Thanks for your reply.

Would any company realistically take someone on though? Are there companies who find it hard to find non-skilled staff? Or is unemployment high like it is in Ireland therefore making it an employer's market?

(I have a skill, it's just not useable in The Netherlands).

What skill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Bit late to answer this I know but might be useful to others:
    sheekst38 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I have been offered a job with ASML in Veldhoven and was wondering if there was anyone reading this thread that was working there and could answer a few basic questions. I was wondering how bad the Tax is on about €36k a year salary, there is also something called "Holiday money" in the contract that I cant fully understand, I goggled it but cant figure out if its a lump sum payment each year and if I would qualify for it or not being Irish
    I've been working in ASML since January this year. If you've any questions, welcome to shoot.

By the way looking at my salary before I got the 30% rule (know if you're eligible for that?) I was only getting taxed 32% so I'm not sure where the 42% number is coming from. Those online tax calculators are way off I found. Then there is pension and >€100 per month health insurance etc.

I could send around an email to the Irish mailing list in ASML if you were looking to share accommodation. That's a personal choice. Other Irish housemates give you a good kickstart into the way of life and is very practical too (insta-social life) since you save a LOT of money sharing (I pay €390 per month including bills). Then living alone gives you a bit more independence and personal space but is much more expensive.

As far as ASML goes, I like it personally, but it does depend where you're working in within it, some positions are not so fun I hear. Feel free to pop me a PM if you like.
    I will also need to set up a bank account and was wondering who are best to go with or if it matters and how would I go about getting a Tax number organised.

If you've to do it yourself the sequence is:
    1. Get your lease signed
    2. Make an appointment at city hall (Gemeente) to get your BSN (tax) number
    3. Get a bank account

Also bear in mind if you go through a housing agency to find a place, you have to pay their fee, which is usually equal to 1 month's rent plus ~20% tax. So if you get a small single person apartment for €800 a month you're looking at a lump sum payment of €800 rent, €800 deposit and €960 agency fee, so €2560, before you even start your job.

What skill ?

I'm a teacher. And while I could teach in an international school over there, I don't want to. Just looking for casual work for a while so I can concentrate on the living aspect of life rather than the working aspect if you know what I mean?

I'm open to living anywhere in Europe really.

I'm a teacher. And while I could teach in an international school over there, I don't want to. Just looking for casual work for a while so I can concentrate on the living aspect of life rather than the working aspect if you know what I mean?

I'm open to living anywhere in Europe really.

Ah fair enough,

There are some openings in the International School in Eindhoven for substitutes, perhaps less hours, might be worth investigating:

http://www.isecampus.nl/Flex/Jobs/Display.aspx?PageID=491&id=13&lang=UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

just wondering does anyone know if it's handy enough to get from Haarlem to Eindhoven airport? I havent moved over yet but I will be in 10 days but I've to fly home for graduation and flight prices from amsterdam are outrageously high so I plan on flying from Eindhoven.

Actually, what is the cheapest way of getting home from Amsterdam??

cheeeeeers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

You can get the train from Haarlem to Amsterdam and then into Eindhoven handy engh, it takes about an hour and 40 minutes.

What about flying Amsterdam - Belfast with Easyjet and getting the train down to Dublin (your current location)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

nbar12 wrote: »
    Actually, what is the cheapest way of getting home from Amsterdam??

Depending on the day I've flown home from Amsterdam, Eindhoven and Maastricht (I live in Eindhoven though). Aer Lingus from Amsterdam are reasonably priced if you book far enough in advance, it's a crap shoot from Maastricht or Eindhoven but usually much cheaper in the short term.

I've never tried the easyjet belfast route.

You can use ns.nl to calculate train times and tariffs from stations. From actual location to location (say a postcode to eindhoven airport, including buses etc.) you can use 9292.nl.

One time I wanted to catch a really early flight from Maastricht, that was too early for train/busses. It was actually dead handy and cheap (€40) to rent a car for one night and drop it straight into the airport. Still worked out a lot cheaper than flights from Eindhoven for those dates anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Lingua Franca and ApeXaviour thanks a million for your advice! I'm in the process of booking flights from Eindhoven and getting the bus to and from Amsterdam. Thanks again

Just so you know, you can get a card from NS that entitles you and three other people with you to a 40% discount on train travel aswell. You can top it up and use to pay for most (if not all) train and bus travel. The card is about €50 per year but a couple of trips and you've actually saved yourself that much money anyway. I wouldn't trust getting a bus from city to city if you have to catch a flight, although I've never actually done it myself so I'm not speaking from experience.

My experience with flying from Eindhoven vs Amsterdam is that if you can get a cheap (ish- taxes at Schiphol are an automatic €65) flight then Amsterdam is great but we have the added bonus of having to rent a car in Ireland and drive to Cork/ Tipp/ Kildare/ wherever we've been summoned to by the family fairies :). We normally fly from Eindhoven as it's cheaper and more convenient for us. We have been to Maastricht a couple of times but the upside of it being dirt cheap is that it is a pain to get to. Having said that, the departure times are a little bit nicer, from there and from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Just so you know, you can get a card from NS that entitles you and three other people with you to a 40% discount on train travel aswell. You can top it up and use to pay for most (if not all) train and bus travel. The card is about €50 per year but a couple of trips and you've actually saved yourself that much money anyway.

FYI, there's an offer atm to get this product for the first year for 29euro instead of 50. It's on the ns.nl website under Producten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

elefant wrote: »
    FYI, there's an offer atm to get this product for the first year for 29euro instead of 50. It's on the ns.nl website under Producten.

Alternatively if you have an OV Chipkaart, you can get what is called a Daluuren abonnement (for off peak travel), same as the discount above only for one person. It's 10euro, and if you use public transport regularly it MORE than pays for it's self.

elefant wrote: »

Yes someone had said it to me that this happens every year in November, I think it might actually be the case around March or April aswell. It's a fantastic deal.

Thanks for that tip Rachael, I never really understood how the daluren thingy worked :). Might be useful for the future!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Yes someone had said it to me that this happens every year in November, I think it might actually be the case around March or April aswell. It's a fantastic deal.

Thanks for that tip Rachael, I never really understood how the daluren thingy worked :). Might be useful for the future!!

It's dead handy, instead of paying 1.34 for my journey (for example) into Eindhoven centre, I pay .84 cent, that's for a tenner a year. Even at peak times it's a little cheaper, so it's well worth the 10euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has exprience of getting an A1 cert (formerly known as the E101 cert I think) from Ireland - this shows that becasue you pay Irish PRSI, you don't need to pay Dutch PRSI.

I just got one and my agency over here are in process of sending it to the dutch authorities etc. I asked the accountant of my agency if this means I don't have to get dutch health insurance and I got this reply:

Dutch health tax
    An employee working in the Netherlands as a general rule is also covered by the Dutch social security system, including the obligatory state health insurance system. The only way to escape the Dutch health insurance system is to escape the Dutch social security system in total. That is: to apply for an E-101/A1 declaration

However they've never actually processed this for a real case.

The proof is in the pudding so....anyone on here actually gotten this excemption from dutch health insurance through paying PRSI in the old sod?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has exprience of getting an A1 cert (formerly known as the E101 cert I think) from Ireland - this shows that becasue you pay Irish PRSI, you don't need to pay Dutch PRSI.

I just got one and my agency over here are in process of sending it to the dutch authorities etc. I asked the accountant of my agency if this means I don't have to get dutch health insurance and I got this reply:

Dutch health tax
    An employee working in the Netherlands as a general rule is also covered by the Dutch social security system, including the obligatory state health insurance system. The only way to escape the Dutch health insurance system is to escape the Dutch social security system in total. That is: to apply for an E-101/A1 declaration

However they've never actually processed this for a real case.

The proof is in the pudding so....anyone on here actually gotten this excemption from dutch health insurance through paying PRSI in the old sod?

I got the E101 for Working in Germany on secondment from the Netherlands.

The question is really simple:

Where do you live and work ?

If you live in Ireland and travel to the Netherlands only for work and return to Ireland on a regular basis due to family ties (Wife and Children) Then its possible to do what you mention.

If you were sent to Netherlands by your Irish employer then its also possible (e.g. Secondment)

If you live in the Netherlands and work in the Netherlands for a Dutch Employer (Registered B.V.) then the Dutch Rules apply no matter what.

http://www.cvz.nl/binaries/content/documents/zinl-www/documenten/rubrieken/verzekering/buitenland/1304-working-in-the-netherlands/1304-working-in-the-netherlands/Working+in+the+Netherlands.pdf

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/social-security-forms/
    Other examples for E101/E103/A1
    Statement of applicable legislation. Useful to prove that you pay social contributions in another EU country – if you are a posted worker or work in several countries at the same time.

From previous experience though, it is far better to declare your primary place of residence as your actual one. Otherwise you can really end up with some bizarre problems. Especially if you are trying to sort everything out yourself.

More information here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/working_abroad/working_in_the_eu.html

In you want to chance it and go with the A1, do not register with the City Hall. Just get a SOFI number from the Belastingdienst.

If you need to apply for an A1 form contact is here:
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/postings-abroad/formalities-conditions-employees/ireland/index_en.htm

For tax if you are declaring you primary place of Interest as Ireland (which you will need to do if going down this route) then get a Tax consultant as you'll probably be liable to do a return in Ireland even if you have no income sourced in Ireland and your tax bill will probably be zero.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/paye/guide/employers-guide-paye-foreign.html

Whole heap of other stuff:
    If you need to claim Social Welfare you'll be expected to go back to Ireland and claim it there (In Principal its possible to claim off the Dutch system through foreign contributions but incredibly difficult)
    You won't be able to drive any foreign plated car in Ireland as your place of primary interest is Ireland (VRT)
    If your house is vacant in Ireland and you have a mortgage you can claim Dutch Mortgage Interest relief.
    Any tax benefits in Ireland will more than likely not be applicable on foreign income.

In you want to chance it and go with the A1, do not register with the City Hall. Just get a SOFI number from the Belastingdienst.

.[/quote]

Sound, thanks a million Keith!

If I go to Belastingdienst and get SOFI instead of going to town hall and getting BN can I still get the 30% rule?

My Irish accountant got the A1 for me already as a sole trader in Ire so no need for me to file Irish tax return (if I had gotten it thru my Ltd co I woulda had to keep filing tax returns). I pay Irish class s1 prsi so no dole entitlement anyway, don't have a mortgage or a foreign reg car.

My employer here has my 30% rule application all ready to go cept for d BSN/SOFI number
    -I've an appointment made in town hall next week for that think I should cancel it so and make app with Belastings office instead?

Sound, thanks a million Keith!

If I go to Belastingdienst and get SOFI instead of going to town hall and getting BN can I still get the 30% rule?

My Irish accountant got the A1 for me already as a sole trader in Ire so no need for me to file Irish tax return (if I had gotten it thru my Ltd co I woulda had to keep filing tax returns). I pay Irish class s1 prsi so no dole entitlement anyway, don't have a mortgage or a foreign reg car.

My employer here has my 30% rule application all ready to go cept for d BSN/SOFI number
    -I've an appointment made in town hall next week for that think I should cancel it so and make app with Belastings office instead?

If you just go for a SOFI number you'll be off the radar but the clock on the social and health stuff will start ticking from when you start working.

If you register with the City Hall you will get letters for local city taxes, CVZ Insurance stuff, SVB stuff.

If you don't register with the City Hall you won't be able to get a Digi-D or use the services available to residents.

Couldn't answer the 30% ruling thing but it is not a sure thing in any case.

IMO your situation sounds potentially expensive and problematic.

I would get some good advice first and get a letter from the SVB and CVZ in advance before you do anything stating that you are exempt.

If you go down the road hoping everything will be ok they will just backdate everything at source and in true dutch fashion you'll spend hours on the phone to people every day that may or may not choose to speak English to you. You will become accustomed to the phrase "That is not possible" :pac:

'dat kan niet' yes I've heard about that!
    OK appointment with town hall cancelled, appointment with Belastingsdienst made instead. Should be able to get 30% rule with Sofi # I'd say.
    C'mere thanks a mil only for your posts I would never have known there is a diff between Sofi# and BSN #

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just wondering if there are still many boardsies in The Netherlands, especially Utrecht. Am looking for general info on living there - any tips & tricks for apartment rental (places to avoid, and oddities on Dutch contracts), using public transport (discount options, etc.), any other useful info...

Advertisement