Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Eagles Return

Options
  • 10-10-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

A program is starting on rte one on tuesday 12th october at 7pm about the reintroduction scheme of Bop into Ireland. Should be good.Ger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

great programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just watched the two episodes online.

Well worth the watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Good post 1squidge,
    Yes, saw two programmes so far. Can't wait for tomorrow! Their a great bunch of guys doing a job they LOVE. Very nice of the Norwegians for giving us a lifeline. Looking at last programme showing the dead raptures found on farm land shows that the farmers still are totally ignorant. Poison bait traps STILL been used??? We ALL have a part to play here. I REALLY hope these stunning white tailed eagles and other birds of prey get they're chance to thrive in this beautiful country.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Not being a prick sables. But it's ''raptors''. And yes it's swuch a weird irony that so many well intentioned people's efforts are negated by such a few rednecks. It's also scarily coincidental that new laws coincided with the airing of this series. Many of us have been appalled and unrepentent in our condemnation of poisoning for years and voices went unheard. Another example of what a shower run our country. Any takers on a bet that the Healy Raes will be on shortly looking for compensation for Farmers in North Kerry for time lost due to new laws? What will they do without their poison?

• Advertisement

Hi cuddlycavies,
    Thanks for that vowel correction:''raptors''. Ah poor 'ole Jackie Healy Rae. He's a poor farmer' didn't you know? I understand you point though: If compensation was brought to the table in the UK about eagles or any birds of prey - there'd be UP-ROAR!...no question. We're..(farmers/over paid politicians mostly) greedy in this country. Look where we are now...and John 'gormless' Gormley is our 'Minister for the Environment..hello! If they.. (the eagle trust) don't get this eagle introduction working with some sucess, you can thank the Government (funding) and their money grabbing 'cronies' for utter lack of respect and down right ignorance of animal welfare. Richard Boyd Barrett's party is called: 'People Before Profit' - well, turn it on it's head..that's what most of us want! Will 'we' EVER learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

Not being a prick sables. But it's ''raptors''. And yes it's swuch a weird irony that so many well intentioned people's efforts are negated by such a few rednecks. It's also scarily coincidental that new laws coincided with the airing of this series. Many of us have been appalled and unrepentent in our condemnation of poisoning for years and voices went unheard. Another example of what a shower run our country. Any takers on a bet that the Healy Raes will be on shortly looking for compensation for Farmers in North Kerry for time lost due to new laws? What will they do without their poison?

I must claim Healy-Rae as our premier intellectual south Kerry national representative, not north Kerry's. He's ours I tell ya! :o Back on topic, how about the NPWS bringing in a sort of local rangers reserve force like the AGS reserve force. We have to get over our whole 'informer' paranoia in this country. The only people these people are harming is us, not British rule! ;)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I must say I found tonights programme rather depressing and a pretty poor advertisiment for sheep farming in parts of Kerry. The attitude of some of the farmers interviewed was alarming given the level of ignorance on display and was in stark contrast to the enlightened views of their counterparts in Norway. On the back of this I don't hold out much hope of next Spring being much of an improvement on this years grim totals of eagle and kite deaths:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

I passionately believe in direct action so here's the IFA contact page (Kerry's at the top), let them know what you think...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

3 episodes now and yes its quite depressing. It shows Ireland in a bad light to the outside community. It only takes a few bad eggs to do this. Maybe not even bad just ignorant and uneducated, That imo is how some of our sheep farmers came across. I think the ifa have some responsibility aswell. All in all it has been a very good series with some excellent panoramic views. I think there should be some proactive information given again to the sheep farmers in these areas about biodiversity,poisoning and new laws so ignorance and lack of knowledge can not be used as an excuse. May I might stress that it seems to be only a minority of sheep farmers that are doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

1squidge wrote: »
    3 episodes now and yes its quite depressing. It shows Ireland in a bad light to the outside community. It only takes a few bad eggs to do this. Maybe not even bad just ignorant and uneducated, That imo is how some of our sheep farmers came across. I think the ifa have some responsibility aswell. All in all it has been a very good series with some excellent panoramic views. I think there should be some proactive information given again to the sheep farmers in these areas about biodiversity,poisoning and new laws so ignorance and lack of knowledge can not be used as an excuse. May I might stress that it seems to be only a minority of sheep farmers that are doing this.
    Farmers (like those Norwegian sheep farmers) educating our problem farmers might be a more effective solution. They are more likely to listen to each other rather than conservationists!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Spot on Feargal. The amount of money required to bring in some Norwegian and Scottish farmers to talk and providing interpreters as required would be very small in the overall cost of the reintroduction project. Farmers listen to farmers best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

so what would you do if you saw an eagle take a sheep?
    "Well boy. i'd shoot it" you FOOKIN Nonce Farmer!
    so you would go to jail for a few years for a sheep..Brains to Burn that guy has!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Farmers (like those Norwegian sheep farmers) educating our problem farmers might be a more effective solution. They are more likely to listen to each other rather than conservationists!

My understanding is that before the Golden Eagles were first reintroduced a member(s) of the Scottish equivalent of the IFA came over more than once to talk to the Donegal farmers.

By all accounts he allayed a lot of fears and signs by, the attitude among farmers up in Donegal seems to be far more tolerant than that in Kerry.

megadodge wrote: »
    My understanding is that before the Golden Eagles were first reintroduced a member(s) of the Scottish equivalent of the IFA came over more than once to talk to the Donegal farmers.

By all accounts he allayed a lot of fears and signs by, the attitude among farmers up in Donegal seems to be far more tolerant than that in Kerry.

That would be my impression as well - AFAIK the majority of the problems in Donegal were caused by one particular farmer adjacent to Glenveagh NP who I've heard is reckoned to have poisoned at least half a dozen birds before the authorities copped on to the source of the problem. He now knows he's been watched closely so hopefully that will but an end to his disgusting criminal acts. There is however ongoing problems in the North Of Sligo with a gent known as the "Ballinatrillick" poisoner among other nick names and this is a real concern given the number of sighting of Donegal Goldies in that area, not to forget the terrible fate that befell poor Conal in the same area this Spring.:(

Hi megadodge,
    Let's hope that attitude among farmers spreads EVERY WHERE in the country: not just Donegal..(fair play to the farmers, they need to be given applause) We need a tolerance level on all aspects of respect - not just to raptors, but all wildlife in general. I'm delighted the Scottish F.A has come/came over and given 'us' a wake-up call.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jkforde wrote: »
    I passionately believe in direct action so here's the IFA contact page (Kerry's at the top), let them know what you think...
    did i really hear the IFA spokesman say something along the lines of 'what's in it for us?' at one point, referring to the reintroduction program?

that made my jaw drop; the attitudes of a lot of the farmers was not surprising, albeit depressing, but i would have hoped the IFA spokesman would be a little less ignorant.

did i really hear the IFA spokesman say something along the lines of 'what's in it for us?' at one point, referring to the reintroduction program?

that made my jaw drop; the attitudes of a lot of the farmers was not surprising, albeit depressing, but i would have hoped the IFA spokesman would be a little less ignorant.
    AFAIK the IFA in Donegal were for the re-introductions of the Golden eagle:), but the Kerry branch were against the Sea eagle re-introduction:(.

I work with a fella whose family are from near the Killarney National park. His extended family are sheep farmers and most of them were protesting when the Sea eagle chicks first landed in Kerry.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/farmers-feathers-ruffled-as-wild-eagle-chicks-fly-in-704785.html

My work associate was talking to his uncle and his uncle said to him "The eagles were got rid of a hundred years ago and for good reason":mad:

Over the years IFA spokespeople have done little to promote a positive view among the general public of farmers as regards their attitude towards conservation/environmental issues - and last night was a prime example of that:(. Which is a terrible shame since the majority of farmers I meet are very aware of their responsibilities in the area and enjoy the nature thats around them as they go about their working lives:(

My work associate was talking to his uncle and his uncle said to him "The eagles were got rid of a hundred years ago and for good reason":mad:

No doubt the "good reason" was old wives tales of eagles lifting babies from cots:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Over the years IFA spokespeople have done little to promote a positive view among the general public of farmers as regards their attitude towards conservation/environmental issues - and last night was a prime example of that:(. Which is a terrible shame since the majority of farmers I meet are very aware of their responsibilities in the area and enjoy the nature thats around them as they go about their working lives:(
    This was from the Limerick Leader newspaper:
    IFA against the Hen Harrier:mad:
    'Shoot the bastards'
    By PATRICIA FEEHILY

Threatened and threatening: the hen harrier

OVER 800 people attended the IFA's public meeting in Templeglantine on the Dúchas hen harrier protection plan.

It was one of the biggest meetings ever held in the area, and seldom was the mood so raptorial or so trigger-happy.

It would have been comic if it weren't so serious--serious for the farmers whose lands and livelihoods are threatened by special designation and for the bird which has been in decline since 1900 and which almost became extinct in 1954, apparently from "persecution", although the farmers claim that they lived in harmony together for generations until Dúchas appeared.

Everything was up in the air at the meeting. An attempt by Dúchas director, John Wilson to put the hen harrier in "its historic, legal and scientific context" left the farmers of West Limerick totally unimpressed.

With no real clarification of anything, they emerged from the Devon Inn threatening to "shoot the bastards".

"The hen harrier will need a rosary beads around his neck from now on," growled one of them ominously.

It seems that you'll never take the gun out of Irish politics. The EU already has the gun to the heads of the Dúchas people over the designation of SPAs . "There's a threat of court action if we don't get on with the job," Mr Wilson pleaded.

And IFA leader, John Dillon was cheered to the rafters when he told the meeting how they used to deal with birds of prey hovering over his mother's chickens in the farmyard at home when he was young.

"When this fellow appeared in the sky, the first thing we got was the gun to sort him out."

The Dúchas officials were horrified.

Mr Dillon was at his fiery best, and has banned Dúchas from the lands of West Limerick, North Cork and North Kerry until the farmers get justice and fair play. The hen harrier may yet be a party to the partnership talks, but as someone remarked at the meeting, the cost of the Government's jet fleet will be peanuts compared to the cost of keeping him in the air.

Hi. This is the typical attitude: "The eagles were got rid of a hundred years ago and for good reason".. (The Kerry farmer who you mentioned).We are NOT like the Scots or the English when it comes to animals in general - they CARE in general for their animals. Take an example of pets: Look at the woman who ditched the cat in the wheelie bin this summer in London...she was HOUNDED out of it. A media swamp and humiliation.

Hi Feargal,
    Love the heading of the Limerick Leader :This was from the Limerick Leader newspaper:
    IFA against the Hen Harrier
    'Shoot the bastards'
    By PATRICIA FEEHILY. This is Totally SICK! Shame on John Dillon and his FF cronies. It'll take some 'pen pushing'...(or money in the hand for them bunch).. for our birds of prey to survive from typical 'power lords' like Mr Dillon.

Watched the lastest aired episode last night (recorded).

It's quite clear to me that this country as a whole doesn't deserve those magnificent creatures gracing our skies.

Theres a deep rooted malaise on this island and we're a long long way from weeding it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

E39MSport wrote: »

It's quite clear to me that this country as a whole doesn't deserve those magnificent creatures gracing our skies.

Ah that's not fair! We do deserve them, there's way more people who love to see them then don't.

Feargal - when was that article published?

Theres a deep rooted malaise on this island and we're a long long way from weeding it out.
    Well put E39MSport - We DON'T deserve these raptors.(Some) Bloody idiot farmers will never learn, especially as they get older. I'm sure their view is something like: "te' hell with these 'bird huggers'...i'll show 'em".

I KNOW for a fact we'll hear soon that more birds of prey will be found in some ditch or side of a river with poisonous matter in it's carcase.

Hope to God I'm wrong....(i don't think so unfortunately) I'll eat my hat if i am!

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Ah that's not fair! We do deserve them, there's way more people who love to see them then don't.

It's not fair on the rest of us, but until we collectively do something about the minority thats ruining it for us then it would appear to be doomed and those birds that remain will likely suffer.

Surreptitiously announcing penalties for poisoning to coincide with the RTE show is farcical.

MB Lacey wrote: »

http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/t-3468.html
    Couldn't find the exact article but pasted it from this link. I assume 2003. I do remember reading it at the time

Shortly after this episode a Hen Harrier was shot and posted to the Kerryman Newspaper. They will following John Dillon advice no doubt.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2003/06/07/story763750139.asp

My impression was that rural Kerry has more then its fair share of Gombeens:( - the farmers I meet in these parts seem alot more clued in and knowledgeable about conservation issues though of course you can get bad apples anywhere that can do a totally disproportionate amount of damage in any area. Personally i thought Kerry was the wrong choice for this once those ridiculous protests started which highlighted the deep-rooted ignorance of the issues among some in the farming community there. Somewhere like the upper Shannon Lakelands may have been more suiteable!!

• Advertisement

It's not fair on the rest of us, but until we collectively do something about the minority thats ruining it for us then it would appear to be doomed and those birds that remain will likely suffer.

Surreptitiously announcing penalties for poisoning to coincide with the RTE show is farcical.
    E39MSport

Your right E39MSport. It's a NO WIN fight. There has to be some kinda legislation/implementation of 'guide lines' SET down. A written contract/Co-Co between farmers and the eagle trust with farmers getting a copy to each person, sign the dotted line in agreement to stop poisoning the dead lambs/sheep or other animals within their boundaries of land. It's more 'formal' than the current legislation set down. 'Cause this current legislation is to loose and scattered.

Advertisement