Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One to keep an eye on!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I won't be around much today so can't keep you updated on what is happening but please post anything interesting you find. Will be back tonight and will catch up with myself then.

NINGTYAS SIDHI on November 6, 2010, 10:26 AM
    @Damien,
    vulcanic material from merapi that willl become lahar flowing the rivers is so huge.
    Please see these two pictures to get some perspective.
    Picture1 is an old picture of Kali Gendol headwaters in Merapi. The local resident said that the depth of the ravine is about 30m.
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/kali%20gendol%20ngarai/bozhart/e85d4dd9.jpg

Picture 2 is is today’s news. The 30m ravine no longer can be seen because Kali Gendol headwater is full of soon-to-be-lahar materials. And there have been heavy rain these days. Imagine the danger!

http://www.republika.co.id/berita/breaking-news/nusantara/10/11/06/145096-hulu-sungai-gendol-jadi-bukit-lahar

Well I hope some experts here will explain it to us.
    No wonder the authority repeteadly warn the people of the danger, but many people still take no heed.

Very scary to see the difference in those two pictures especially when factoring in the size of the mining lorries in the gorge.

On the subject of the Nigerian volcano eruption there is this. A bit long but might be of interest to some.
    A volcanic eruption has occurred at the mountainous Mkomon district of Kwande Local government of Benue State with one person feared dead while properties worth millions of Naira have also been destroyed. Residents of the affected community have deserted their homes in search of safer place. Sources of portable water have been polluted by the heavy magma emitted from the eruption. Vanguard gathered from eye witnesses that there were heavy vibrations around the mountains at the border with Cameroun Republic, followed by eruptions at six points on the mountainous terrain. The vibrations spewed magma which covered streams and hand dug wells and the entire community leaving the people without portable water. At the moment, there is panic amongst the people who are said to be cut off completely from the rest of the world as a result of the occurrence and damages to roads and bridges which was occasioned by the heavy vibration.
    LEON ROBERT GRAVESTOCK on November 6, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Thanks Richard i was just to about write that. the report is cautioned because the volcano is unknown and worrying due to the eruptions of six points. http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php this is only information we currently have on the net at min they also want more info

RENATO RIO on November 6, 2010, 11:59 AM
    @Leon Robert: I’m most intrigued by your comment on reported volcanic activity in Nigeria. SVI records only show one volcanic field in that country but much farther Northeast and in Cameroon, 300 km to the Southeast, but still very far away. Any guesses?

RENATO RIO on November 6, 2010, 12:04 PM
    @Richard: Thanks for the post. From the Google location provided by Leon there are no volcanoes in the area. Weird!

DANIEL LE CURIEUX on November 6, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Well there is a vlocanoe in Nigeria at the Biu Plateau which would correspond to the location in the report.

http://www.volcanolive.com/biu.html

However checking the news in Nigeria there is no mention of this. And an even such as this would probably get big headlines since it has not erupted in over 800.000 years. And that it would have 6 vents opening up simultaneously would give even larger headlines.

KULTSI LE ARCHER on November 6, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Another form of Nigerian Letters?

WILLIAM M BOSTON on November 6, 2010, 12:08 PM
    Yes, I too thought that the Indonesian Institute of Volcanology and Mitigation of Natural Disasters was being excessive when they decalred that “20 volcanoes in Indonesia were ready to erupt” …

<span style="color:maroon">

<strong> Twenty Indonesian volcanoes “ready to erupt”: </strong> Ralph at the Volcanism Blog has a great new post today about a report in the Jakarta Globe claims that at least twenty volcanoes in Indonesia are “ready to erupt”. This is supposedly based on a report by the the head of the Indonesian Institute of Volcanology and Mitigation of Natural Disasters that has raised the alert status at 17 volcanoes from 1 to 2. Now, as Chris Rowan from Highly Allochthonous pointed out in a tweet, these volcanoes are not likely any more “ready to erupt” than they were last year. However, as with any random distribution of events, sometimes the said events will appear to “cluster”, like the activity currently in Indonesia. You can see a great map of the alert status of all the Indonesian volcanoes here – but my guess is that what this might reflect is better monitoring on the part of Institute of Volcanology and Mitigation of Natural Disasters rather than a volcanopocalypse. – Posted by Erik Klemetti on October 1, 2010, 10:56 AM, titled Friday Flotsam: Indonesia “ready to erupt” …, url = http://bigthink.com/ideas/24321

</span>

But now I give the Indonesian experts props, as only a month has gone by and there have been 3 eruptions, one of them being of historic proportions. I’m now a believer. So, thats 17 more which are ready to blow. … If they predict a <strong>“volcanopocalypse”</strong>, I’m paying close attention.

(Also playing with this textism stuff … but the documentaion for it is seriously lacking in clarity and detail.)

DANIEL LE CURIEUX on November 6, 2010, 12:12 PM
    And if you look at the map there are alot of cindercones and traces of volcanig activity. That is one scarred area.

http://maps.google.se/maps?q=biu%20plateau&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:sv-SE:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=sv&tab=wl

DANIEL LE CURIEUX on November 6, 2010, 12:14 PM
    Ok that link didnt turn out as i wanted. But the “Biu, volcano” And zoom in a bit.

ERIK KLEMETTI on November 6, 2010, 12:20 PM
    I just posted on the eruption near the Nigeria/Cameroon border. I’m pretty sure it is from the Oku Volcanic Field ~ but the information on the eruption is sparse.

YVONNE MALINOWSKI on November 6, 2010, 12:23 PM
    On Nigeria… Danielle, r u placing it just about north of NW of Cross River?

The RSOE site… http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?cid=28428…. click on google map from there … have a blinking “event epicenter” alert.

Google Earth doesn’t have a Volcan mark in that area so must a rewakening or the mentioned “nigerian letter”.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

The problem with the african one is much like the world was in the 1800.
    it will all be by word of mouth intill we get sat pictures of the area.

can not think there be much info for a few days at least.

just found these

Meanwhile there is some alarming data about lake Nyos:

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/news/2495-fg-allays-fears-on-rumoured-eruption-of-lake-nyos.html

just in, and from tweets its starting to go off again.

23:42 Huge volumes of lava followed by pyroclastic flow moving towards south and west.

stentorian voice rumbling like a train passing
    [23:31] north of Prambanan was heard loud rumbling voice to trim via the glass to vibrate

• Advertisement

New Zealanders getting warnings now. Volcano warning. Tapuo eruption biggest ever?? VEI 8

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4317059/Eruption-threat-real-warns-expert

Jake1 wrote: »
    New Zealanders getting warnings now. Volcano warning. Tapuo eruption biggest ever?? VEI 8

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4317059/Eruption-threat-real-warns-expert

i think a few are jumpping on the band wagon now in a way to highlight what could happin and to be ready.

which is not bad in its self. but could cause panic for no reason.

while NZ does have 2 vei 7 and above there both not going to start fireing as they are both asleep at the moment (famours last words)
    and if they did awaken then i think ash would be the least of NZ problems, as there would not be a NZ left.

few pics from early days of merapi.
    http://foto.vivanews.com/read/2577-terkubur-dalam-debu
    vary eariy looking.
    and some not for the faint hearted :eek:

The ongoing eruption at Mount Merapi, Yogyakarta certainly affect the increase in volcanology at Mount Semeru, Lumajang, East Java. Among the three volcanoes in East Java, Mount Semeru eruption is estimated to most powerful.

"Among Mount Semeru, Bromo and Kelud, Semeru, which has the most powerful eruption after Merapi," said the expert, Geological Institute of Technology 10 November Surabaya (ITS) Amin Widodo, Friday, November 5, 2010.

It is said, to watch the hot and cold lava flood. That caused the presence of high peaks exceeding Semeru volcano Merapi, which is 3676 meters the highest in Java.

"Currently, Semeru was collecting lava on the summit," continued the GMU alumni who are currently taking courses S3 it.

He mentioned, although magma chamber of each mountain is local. Mount Semeru has a long history with a series of Merapi. Merapi volcanic levels higher than Semeru. According to him, if the increased volcanic activity of Merapi, Semeru certainly also be turbulent.

Meanwhile, Kelud in Blitar and Kediri region also need to watch out. Because there is no record in 2007 and then in the mountains had been formed lava dome.

posted on the 5th,
    if its funny reading it, its because it was translated from a news page.

2 more in the region have been stepped up a lvl.
    Mount Batur Volcano
    Mt. Bulusan Volcano
    both in the Philippines, have shown signs of abnormal state.

normaly im not one to think of these things as strenge. but you have to admit the amount of these things coming on line in that area is a cause for concern

23:45. Observed glide lava with a large volume with sliding distance upstream memsuki Gendol times. There was a big roar, hot volcanic ash was observed to glide toward the South and Southeast. Please remain vigilant.

15 km hear rumbling sounds, not toughness lava slide
    [02:15] lava visible tip of a faint two craters, the signal wave, colleagues observation post please alert

monitored: increased signal seismograph, there are flashes of the top mtmerapi

[02:56] there is a slight increase in amplitude, indicated there is increased activity of magma
    [03:05] glide lava with great volumes of smoke towards the west along a pretty solid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Advertisement

FORUM
    Republika OnLine » Breaking News » Archipelago
    Sequence Heat Clouds on Mount Merapi Still Continue to Happen
    Saturday, November 6, 2010, 19:13 GMT

Throwdown / Republika

Areas which was destroyed by hot clouds of Mount Merapi
    REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, JAKARTA - The series of hot clouds on Mount Merapi is still happening on Saturday (6 / 11) all morning to evening. According to the monitoring of Investigation and Technology Development Center Kegunungapian (BBPTK) Yogyakarta, from 00.00 am until 12.00 am, eruption of Mount Merapi still occur with high intensity.

"From 12:00 am until 17:00 pm, there is no monitoring reports, but basically still the same condition with the condition three days ago," said Muljani, Staff Section of Mount Merapi in Yogyakarta BPPTK when contacted by telephone by the Republika, Saturday (6 / 11) afternoon. This is justified by Surono, Head of Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation (PVMBG) Geological Agency. "The condition of Mount Merapi is still the same as the conditions on the 3rd of November, still alert status or level 4," said Surono, when contacted by telephone by the Republika, Saturday (6 / 11).

Muljani said the tremor, avalanches and pyroclastic continuing still occur. Starting at 00.00 am until 06.00 pm, Mount Merapi closed dense fog. From 10:00 am until around 17:00 pm, continued Muljani, had been a rain of sand. "If it rains there's sand in some places, like in Selo, Boyolali district. In Muntilan, Yogyakarta, also had been a rain of sand today, "said Muljani.

Muljani said at 11:51 pm there is a cloud of smoke followed by hot flashes of fire as high as 3000 m to the west, north, to the east. "The potential for lava flood is possible because of the increasing material erupted along the river channel from the top tipped G. Merapi and the high intensity of rain in the vicinity of Mount Merapi, Until late afternoon, still raining in the vicinity of Mount Merapi, "said Muljani. He added the area safe for the refugees are outside a radius of 20 kilometers from the summit of Mount Merapi.

When asked for confirmation regarding the extent of volcanic ash from Mount Merapi, both Surono and Muljani could not answer. "For volcanic ash I do not know already to what extent, because I was under," said Surono. Muljani said the monitoring of volcanic ash just in the Yogyakarta area.

Regarding the summit crater formed by the eruption of Mount Merapi on 26 October, Surono and Muljani says not yet received a report about it. "From BPPTK also have not done pemfotoan about the formation of craters on the summit of Mount Merapi," said Muljani.

Head of the Yogyakarta BPPTK Subandriyo said that since the eruption of Mount Merapi, which occurred October 30 last, has formed the crater with a diameter of 400 meters at the peak of Mount Merapi. Because of the shape of the crater, the eruption of Mount Merapi, this time spelled similar to the eruption of Mount Merapi in 1872.

Random photo of volcanic cloud above regular clouds.

http://twitpic.com/34gid5

Terrain views

http://www.crisp.nus.edu.sg/coverages/Merapi2010/index20101029-1.html

http://www.daylife.com/photo/05BebO9fBt9dg?q=volcano

now what film does this reminded you off

Various updated maps of the Merapi area.

http://geospasial.bnpb.go.id/

Link deleted. Sorry folks. I only look at the first page and the Merapi pictures. I think I am going to cry. Would you delete the link where you quoted it please, Jake and don't be tempted to look.

And another taken fifteen minutes ago.

http://plixi.com/p/55628421

wow.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

wow.:eek:

I wouldn't advise looking at any other pics on this link !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

http://totallycoolpix.com/2010/11/the-mount-merapi-eruption/

More pics !

*****Warning some Graphic Content*****

dak wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise looking at any other pics on this link !

Why? I didn't see anything awful in the others on that link. I am trying to be careful about that. :confused:

ETA: I went back and looked at all of them and saw what you meant. Christ! Thanks for putting me wise. I had only looked at the few on the first page.

• Advertisement

DominoDub wrote: »
    http://totallycoolpix.com/2010/11/the-mount-merapi-eruption/

More pics !

*****Warning some Graphic Content*****

some vary good pics in there.

also them few pics of the graphic content just shows you how quick it does it from the postions that they are in

Why? I didn't see anything awful in the others on that link. I am trying to be careful about that. :confused:

ETA: I went back and looked at all of them and saw what you meant. Christ! Thanks for putting me wise. I had only looked at the few on the first page.

Dont worry about it. We all know they arent going to be pretty.:)

I really was just saying Wow at the power of it all. Its just so impressive the power of Nature. The size of the ash clouds.

Dont worry about it. We all know they arent going to be pretty.:)

I really was just saying Wow at the power of it all. Its just so impressive the power of Nature. The size of the ash clouds.

These weren't Merapi victim photos that I could see (no ash present) but what looked like fresh and old road kill to put it baldly and one ambiguous photo which is just as distressing. My worry now is that the account holder and presumably the taker of the photos is also the author of the contents of the photos in question. I'm not sure what to do though. I had horrendous nightmares last night.

I think I will enquire over on the photography forum as to what the protocol is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

upforanything, I hope you are okay. Didn't see the pics that have upset you but I hope you get a chance to talk them over with someone.

Thanks, Eskimocat. I emailed Plixy and asked them what I should do and they replied asking for the link which I have sent to them along with a warning of what they contain. Maybe I'm making a bit fuss over nothing. He may well have lifted them from rotten.com or one of those sites where they love those things. I feel better for having done something about it though.

edit.
    posting about the wrong topic. sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Magnitude 5.4
    RegionJAVA, INDONESIA
    Date time2010-11-09 07:03:31.6 UTC
    Location8.65 S ; 110.13 EDepth74 km
    Distances100 km S Yogyakarta (pop 636,660 ; local time 14:03:31.6 2010-11-09)
    80 km S Bambanglipuro (pop 44,713 ; local time 14:03:31.6 2010-11-09)

Nothing new from Merapi. Still ongoing eruption but yesterday's news seem to show that it was winding down a bit. Maybe only for one day, maybe for the long run. Fingers crossed it is for the long run. They could do with a break there.

The local rescue teams are begging for volunteers from amongst the refugees because they are shattered.

Looting seems to be a big problem but judging from the state of one looter in a photo yesterday who seems to have run into not one but several trees before being officially apprehended, the locals have a way with dealing with them.

Medical teams are having difficulty with treating people with respiratory problems, burns and gas poisoning problems because the refugees keep moving from camp to camp.

Schools opened in the refugee camps yesterday. Play time over kids. :D

This off the Big Think blog (American time but not sure which time zone). The Bobsey Twins are relatives of his who do rescue work in disaster situations.
    M. RANDOLPH KRUGER on November 8, 2010, 11:52 PM
    No thermals registering at this time. It might have gotten tired.

There are bands of looters on the roads trying to get back into the area.

From a different view, it would appear that most everything inside variably 14 kms to as far out as 17 kms is not inhabitable mostly to the West. The area to the West and SW of the volcano is decidedly worse than the east for just the numbers of structures standing. .

I was looking earlier and LandSat images show roofs that I thought were okay but not really. The roofing materials (tiles? Is that what they use? ) have fallen off of the rafters. No ceilings and lots of dead animals. The death toll will increase sharply I think in the next few days for obvious reasons as they give the all clear or lower the level.

Not sure how its going on the ground for recovery efforts right now. Erik’s toll of 270,000 refugees is apparently very close to right. People are housing strangers in their homes voluntarily as this is not unlike Katrina here. Bobsey Twins are on the east side of the volcano at about 15 kms and everything up the hill they said just looks bombed out. The idea is that they will continue to circle in closer and closer. They have made dozens of river rescues yesterday and today. Not getting into the water mind but log jams. They are not allowed by the locals to actually get into the areas where the water is because of acidity.

I in a short cellphone call got to ask one question and it was what does it look like?

Vietnam after a B52 air strike was the analogy. Trees laid over, homes gone, no visual reference points. Their GPS tells them they are in a town and they say that if there was a town there, its hard to tell it.

They said the people on the East side for the better part did heed the warnings and are in far better shape. The West and its heresay on their parts, say that they didnt start to move until the volcano really started to get ugly. Many were caught on the roads trying to escape.

Best thing I can say right now is that there are NO thermal indications on top of the mountain. It could change but maybe not.

Boris/Erik…That big blob of semi-incandescent material that built up in the last couple of lava shots before it blew. Was that the “dome building” that was mentioned or was it just misinterpreted as such?

Were they just fooled or never saw a load of material in the throat of one before? If it was a dome could it have just melted off at the base and been lifted?

All I saw was that it got hotter and hotter on the satellites and said so. I didnt know what I was looking at, any chance they didnt either?
    DAMIEN DEFFIEUX on November 9, 2010, 5:11 AM
    @ Monika : so if I understand correctly, the tectonic earthquake that just happened about 100km away from the volcano is a conseqeunce of the eruption?

Can somebody explain if there is and what is the relation between Merapi eruption and the tectonic movement which created an hearthquake?

KULTSI LE ARCHER on November 9, 2010, 5:25 AM
    @Damien:

None, zip, nada; no connection – well, one: they are both products of the plate subducting (going under of) another, they are parts of a volcanic arc, where both earthquakes and volcanoes are abundant. The quakes are caused by the moving plates rubbing against each other, the volcanoes come from the down-going plate melting and sending magma to the top.

Of course it’s not quite that simple, but you get the idea.

Merapi and the recent quake onle have the connection that the quake happened when Merapi was erupting, and the quake may have affected the eruption slightly; the other way round: not a chance.

• Advertisement

Popping off a lot over there today according to RSOE

5.3 Tonga area too.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

Advertisement