Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gambler31

Im 25 and live at home. And I often wonder if I'll ever get out. Im afraid to leave because my mother is an alcoholic.

A few years ago I moved out, but had to move back after 5 months because she just went on a downward spiral. She kicked my father out (he still hasnt came back) she stopped paying bills and was pretty much on a 5 month binge :( When Im here I keep an eye on her and dont let her get too out of hand.

Thats why I have never and will never so much as taste a drink, if I ever get to have kids Im not going to be a burden on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Yeah thats acceptable when your 18 - 25. 34 year old man living with mammy? Forget about women so.

there's room for your mammy and another woman in the kitchen,don't be so pessimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I don't live at home but it's my official residence. I switch homes nearly every 6 months I'd say for different reasons and it's handy to have all my documentation go to the one spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

in contrast though... my folks in their early 20's 26 years ago were able to afford a resonable mortgage on a resonably priced house. With only 1 of them working.

They must not have been living in Ireland then, or at least must still be paying off there 15% interest mortgage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

imitation wrote: »
    They must not have been living in Ireland then, or at least must still be paying off there 15% interest mortgage.

happened with mam and daddy with a 2% mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

27, jobless and back at home for months now. It really saps your mojo so it does.

The economics and conveniences of it are nice and all, but it's just not the way of things. I cannot wait to get back out on me own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

pmcmahon wrote: »
    there's room for your mammy and another woman in the kitchen,don't be so pessimistic
    True. They could make competing dinners, ironing competitions, cleaning contests...

Competition is key to getting the full potential out of your women. Keeps them on their toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Being away at college and funded by Mummy and Daddy isn't the same as moving out of home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    True. They could make competing dinners, ironing competitions, cleaning contests...

Competition is key to getting the full potential out of your women. Keeps them on their toes.

Is that all women are able to do?:rolleyes:

Think your forgetting about about knitting, heated discussions on fluffy kittens & frocks. The dear dear things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

This is caused more by the boom than the recession, houses and rent are still way more expensive than they should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Technically, doesn't everyone live "at home"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

It's remarkable how so many people insert their own age as "I can't believe people are living at home beyond [insert age]". What matter is it to you whatever age people move out?

Different people live their lives differently to you, deal with it.

Incidentally, I wonder how quick a lot of people would be to call others losers when compared with ... say ... our next door neighbours in the UK where anecdotally many have moved out before they're 18 (uni students "living away from home" not included). Amusingly, most of those calling others losers would be considered losers in turn.

So, yeah. Whoooptyf*ckingdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

How many of them are 34?

What about 30 or 35 year olds?

Weel, i presumed that stats were for males aged from 24-34 year as opposed to 34 year old males.

Would be a strange anomoly if 33% of Irish males aged exactly 34 still lived their parents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Meaning????

Ehhhhhh they aren't good enough for the women is what I meant *fiddles collar*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Lemming wrote: »
    It's remarkable how so many people insert their own age as "I can't believe people are living at home beyond [insert age]". What matter is it to you whatever age people move out?

Different people live their lives differently to you, deal with it.

Not necessarily anyone judging. I just find the statistic hard to believe based on the people i know within that age range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Just to add to the anecdotal evidence, out of maybe 40 men in their early to mid 30s I know well, 3 are at home. 1 due to redundancy, one was thrown out by his partner for philandering and the other is chronically lazy and unemployable (but a great guy all the same).
    Maybe the reason people don't seem to know many men like this is because a lot of them are anti-social or have mental health issues that hinder friendships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

TBH in Spain/Portugal it is the norm for being to live at home until they are 30.

I am 23, since 19 I have been out of the house but have moved back in the last 6 months. I suppose the free dinners, etc have something to do with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Just shows you men would rather have their mammies than the Irish women available these days.

Incest FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lemming wrote: »
    It's remarkable how so many people insert their own age as "I can't believe people are living at home beyond [insert age]".
    What particularly makes me laugh is 21-year-olds who are in college and still living with the folks passing those kinda judgements when they haven't the slightest clue as to whether they'll get a job after college and move straight out - certainly not looking that way now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I find stupid statements like these embarrassing.

What's stupid about it? we had this debate before but if you can't support yourself by mid twenties you're a bit of a failure imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I'll be movin into a bedsit soon meself.

What's stupid about it? we had this debate before but if you can't support yourself by mid twenties you're a bit of a failure imo.

Well then your talking through your hole. imo.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You seem to be also forgetting that presumably not all the 34 year olds living at home have their clothes cleaned and dinners cooked and pay a fair amount for their dwellings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well not when 14% of the population are unemployed. Although I do know alot of Dubs that would never dream of sharing with strangers or even their mates, they will stay at home until they have their own house and in this economy that ain't all that likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Kinda.

"I'm staying at home cuz I like mammy's cooking and washing" = fail.

"I'm staying at home because I can't get a job" = unfortunate. There but for the grace of God...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Well then your talking through your hole. imo.;)

I just don't think mooching off your parents is sign of success.

Anyway, would living at home in your twenties not stifle your life a ton?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I moved out fully at 28.

It was either that or Kill myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Dudess wrote: »
    What particularly makes me laugh is 21-year-olds who are in college and still living with the folks passing those kinda judgements when they haven't the slightest clue as to whether they'll get a job after college and move straight out - certainly not looking that way now anyway.

+1

Slightly off topic, my little brother is 22 and is at college and still living at home and was giving me lip about still renting at 30 instead of buying, saying I was mad and it was dead money etc. The little f**ker is in for a bit of a shock when my folks show him the door next summer ;)

Back on topic, I wonder what the stats are on Irish women living at home are? I'd say it's quite high but obviously alot less considering that single mothers get huge rent allowances. I personally know of three women over 30 still living at home, two have children but the third has no commitments and has a good job plus she is a total looker which makes me wonder why she is still under her folks feet :confused:

Everyone has very different reasons and circumstances I suppose.

• Advertisement

I just don't think mooching off your parents is sign of success.

Anyway, would living at home in your twenties not stifle your life a ton?

Theres a lot of people in this country at the moment who can't 'support themselves' for reasons beyond their control & they're not failures. They've been left high & dry by our current downturn. Happen to notice the thousands of people who have lost their jobs in the last few years?:rolleyes:

Like Dudess said, mooching money off your folks to support being moved out is not really moving out. Or if mammy & daddy are well off & decide to buy you a flat. Lucky you but in a way your still just a baby without responsibilities.

Advertisement