Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

Options
  • 08-10-2010 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

33% of 34-year-old Irish men still living at home 08/10/2010 - 14:41:35

A third of Irish men are still living at home at the age of 34, according to a new survey.

A Eurostat report shows young men between 25 and 34 are twice as likely as young women to still live with their parents.

The figures also show that Irish women are the least likely in Europe to be living with a partner - while Irish men are the least likely to commit by the time they are 34.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/33-of-34-year-old-irish-men-still-living-at-home-476939.html#ixzz11mduYiOJ

Is this true? Is the recession to blame for this? I am 26 and living at home but plan to move out within the next year. Whether that materializes or not is the question.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ya gotta love the mammies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not surprised. Irish mammy syndrome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭xalot

Really??????????? Thats horrific. Seriously, nearly half your life living at home?
    Couldn't do it. Couldn't 'do' anyone still doing it at 34.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Echospace wrote: »
    Is this true? Is the recession to blame for this? I am 26 and living at home but plan to move out within the next year. Whether that materializes or not is the question.
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

No.
    Irish Mammies that do everything for their sons are to blame. Seriously, I know a lot of men that can't use an oven, microwave, get skid marks out of jocks simply because Mammy has always done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Cosmic Penguin

I knew things were bad, but to think that 67% of 34 year old men are homeless is very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Perhaps that's what you get in a culture of house buyers as opposed to renters?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd say the recession plays a big part in it. I know a few people who have moved back home in the last year either because they were made redundant or their housemates moved out and they can't replace them or afford the rent on their own. In a way they're the lucky ones because they didn't yet have families of their own and were only renting so not fully committed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Surely this is bo**ox??

I'm 26 and am struggling to think of more than 1 of my friends that still live at home. Plenty of them don't even live in Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yay. I'm a statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think it's not fully related to the recession. Lots of Irish men and women just tend to live at home longer. 34 is very old for it, but I think with prices so high over the past years they had to live at home to save perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Just shows you men would rather have their mammies than the Irish women available these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ah they're just waiting for the folks to croak it...gaff for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Just shows you men would rather have their mammies than the Irish women available these days.

Meaning????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Ruu wrote: »
    Not surprised. Irish mammy syndrome. :)

totally agree i know soooooo many guys still living at home, its kinda sad really by 21 they should have moved out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Terry wrote: »
    Yay. I'm a statistic.

So your strange lodger is actually your mother?

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_PUBLIC/3-08102010-AP/EN/3-08102010-AP-EN.PDF
    Eurostat pdf

It's 32% of men aged 25-34 rather than 32% of men aged 34

24 and out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

These stats would be skewed towards men living at home. If you were to take young farmers as an example they majority would be men, many of whom would still be at home looking after their parents. Quite often they wouldn't build their own home until they get married. The same thing could be applied to other male dominated careers such as the construction industry or that require a lot of travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

That sounds impossibly high to me. I'm just past 34 and can't think of a single one of my network of friends that lives in their original family home. I always take these stats with a large helping of saxa though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Surely this is bo**ox??

I'm 26 and am struggling to think of more than 1 of my friends that still live at home. Plenty of them don't even live in Ireland anymore.
    How many of them are 34?

What about 30 or 35 year olds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

/cough losers cough.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I'd say a lot of them either can't afford to rent on their own, don't know their way around the benefits system or are saving for a deposit for a house.

The rest are dysfunctional & probably a high proportion of those 33% post on boards when you think about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

OisinT wrote: »
    I think it's not fully related to the recession. Lots of Irish men and women just tend to live at home longer. 34 is very old for it, but I think with prices so high over the past years they had to live at home to save perhaps?

yeah, depends how often they go out boozing... :P

in contrast though... my folks in their early 20's 26 years ago were able to afford a resonable mortgage on a resonably priced house. With only 1 of them working.

I wouldn't be able to afford a mortgage and I'd be earning more now, then what my mother would have been earning then.

I find that contrast shocking. I'd expect to be able to afford a reasonable mortgage on a reasonably priced house on my own salary. But I'd struggle to be able to afford an over eager mortgage on an over priced 1 bedbroom shítbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm 35 and know quite a few men and women around my age who still live at home. Part of the reason is that they're urbanites and have no reason to move out until they meet someone special and settle. Also, they either can't afford to move out or they're staying in the family home for inheritance purposes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

gurramok wrote: »
    Part of the reason is that they're urbanites and have no reason to move out until they meet someone special and settle.

C'mon. I think living at home later than 20 is just plain embarrassing.

Morlar wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of them either can't afford to rent on their own, don't know their way around the benefits system or are saving for a deposit for a house.

The rest are dysfunctional & probably a high proportion of those 33% post on boards when you think about it.

Sure you can get a room in a houseshare for 200 euros a month? Even cheaper if you look. Electricity/gas/refuse bills split between 3/4 people is managable.

Theres really very little excuse to be living at home at the age of 34. Unless they have a genuine disability. They must want to live at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

C'mon. I think leaving at home later than 20 is just plain embarrassing.
    I find stupid statements like these embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Sure you can get a room in a houseshare for 200 euros a month? Even cheaper if you look. Electricity/gas/refuse bills split between 3/4 people is managable.

Theres really very little excuse to be living at home at the age of 34. Unless they have a genuine disability. They must want to live at home.

but who cooks your meals ,pays for your food,gives you lifts,washes your clothes,lets you use their stuff etc etc? mammies house wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

C'mon. I think leaving at home later than 20 is just plain embarrassing.

You mean living?

Not all urbanites have that urge to move. Some in Dublin for example won't move out when at college as their college would be just down the road. They'd milk it while they can until they get a job when leaving college.

Also, you have to remember the reluctance to rent mentality. They'd rather stay at home and then buy skipping the renting option altogether.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    but who cooks your meals ,pays for your food,gives you lifts,washes your clothes,lets you use their stuff etc etc? mammies house wins.

Yeah thats acceptable when your 18 - 25.

34 year old man living with mammy? Forget about women so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I imagine some of them are guys that moved out got married then got screwed on the divorce so moved back home when they hadnt a pot to piss in.

Also are you living at home if you moved your mother into the garden shed and called it a granny flat?

Advertisement