Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

Options
18910111214»

Comments

I live at home, just turned 30. It's only me and Dad, give him a decent few quid a month, suits him (I do the ironing ;) ) suits me. Was working away in Dublin and Galway for a few years but home is home. Don't intend moving out in the near future unless I move away for work or move in with a romantic interest.

Can I ask how people who still live at home think it effects their dating and social life? I'm 30 and have just moved back home because I lost my job, boyfriend and am broke. I want to meet someone but can't imagine that saying the words "I'd ask you in but my parents would kill me" are a turn on. Have you any funny stories to tell on this topic or any comment?
    Would it put a guy off if he was dating a girl and she didn't have her own place, i.e: She's moved back home and was living with her parents for whatever reason? Guys?

I can't see anyone being particularly bothered to be honest. I broke the ice with a lovely lady last week who has caught my eye for ages and ages. I hope to get talking to her again soon, don't know what she does for a living, who she lives with, where she's from etc, couldn't care less to be honest. None of that is remotely important. (providinig she is single of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 myinkisblue

Okay, you wouldn't mind, but on the flip side, I've been reading comments from girls who typically aren't interested in guys who are living at home. It's interesting, the general consensus is that women still see men as being the provider and that a man who isn't independent and is living at home just isn't that appealing. Women want to know that men can take care of them if they want to start a family or whatever. So, I was just interested to know how it worked the other way around, i.e for men dating women who live at home and so far I don't think the same stigma is attached for women as men.

Okay, you wouldn't mind, but on the flip side, I've been reading comments from girls who typically aren't interested in guys who are living at home. It's interesting, the general consensus is that women still see men as being the provider and that a man who isn't independent and is living at home just isn't that appealing. Women want to know that men can take care of them if they want to start a family or whatever. So, I was just interested to know how it worked the other way around, i.e for men dating women who live at home and so far I don't think the same stigma is attached for women as men.

I hope you're wrong as I live with my Dad and I'm 30 :pac: Financially though if I was in a happy place in a relationship providing for her etc wouldn't be an issue. However I have no interest in folks who rate prospective partners on material grounds (within reason :) )

I know plenty of lads who would like a lady with her own place so I see where you're coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lowprofile.

Echospace wrote: »
    Is this true? Is the recession to blame for this? I am 26 and living at home but plan to move out within the next year. Whether that materializes or not is the question.
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

Wow thats a lot of mamas boys;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 myinkisblue

RoverJames wrote: »
    I hope you're wrong as I live with my Dad and I'm 30 :pac: Financially though if I was in a happy place in a relationship providing for her etc wouldn't be an issue. However I have no interest in folks who rate prospective partners on material grounds (within reason :) )

I know plenty of lads who would like a lady with her own place so I see where you're coming from.

It's not that I could be wrong, rather that you need to find a girl that isn't bothered by the fact that you're living at home. Of course every case is different. I feel like a hypocrite somewhat as I am 30 and have recently moved back home but I would be far more attracted to a guy who has stability in his life than one who does not. Women (and perhaps I'm only speaking for those in their 30's) find a man who has security in his life far more appealing than one who doesn't. For me, it's not a case of wanting material things, rather I want to feel secure and seeings as my life was turned up side down by the recession, it would be great to have someone who is on track, unlike me...though I will get there eventually. I think that dating someone who is in the same position as me would stunt the relationship even more. I want to find someone I can settle with, have a future with and that is going to take forever if we're both living at home, getting no privacy and still living like teenagers. I know it's tough times out there, so I'm just stating what I would prefer ideally, however I doubt I'm going to be in a position to pick and choose considering the volumes of us that have moved back home and of course, if I met the right person, it probably wouldn't matter....probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Not every situation is the same obviously but there definitely is a culture of this in Ireland. I'm 28 and I started living away from home when I went to college at 18 but I was home most weekends. It is a bit shameful though that I know fellas my age who can barely fry an egg or live on their own. I still visit my homeplace about one weekend a month. I have three brothers in their twenties at home now and with the house breakins that are happening down the country at the moment I'm glad that they're there.

if I met the right person, it probably wouldn't matter....probably.

True no doubt :)
    Unless ye are both on the scratch renting ye're own place should be an option. You won't be out of work forever. I really see it as a non issue though, although in my case specifically I bought a place 5 years ago that is now rented out as it's up the country and I earn decent money. I live with the ole lad as Mum passed away years ago and he'd be on his own otherwise. Buying a 2nd property on my own isn't an option really and housesharing though good craic (did it until March this year in Galway for a year as I was working up there, also I still gave Dad the rent I give him now even though I was working in Galway, I could have been a tight bastad and saved that up to be more self sufficient for some money grabbing cnut I have yet to meet but I'd sooner Dad had the cash to be honest) doesn't really appeal to me in Cork as Dad is more or less my best friend too. Any lady I hooked up with that has a serious issue with my circumstances (fair enough, I know most would like if I had a 4 bed fully detached with no mortgage, wouldn;t we all) I would consider a cnut :)

If I met Mrs right in the morning I'd have no prob moving into a lovenest with her when the time was right.

Advertisement