Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

animaal wrote: »
    Kinda.

"I'm staying at home cuz I like mammy's cooking and washing" = fail.

"I'm staying at home because I can't get a job" = unfortunate. There but for the grace of God...

Thread should have ended after the above post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Agricola wrote: »
    Thats pretty lousy on their part IMO. Im not even a parent and have no particular gra for kids at all. But Im pretty sure if I did, I wouldnt be counting the minutes til they come of age so they can get out of my sight and let me go back to the good life and I certainly wouldnt be speaking to someone outside the family trying to undermine my own kid.

Theres 2 kinds of people in the world it seems. Those that dont bring kids into the world lightly and who live for them when they do, and those that just think its the done thing to pop afew sprogs in your twenties and then try to get shut of them in your 40's.

Being a friend of the person and a friend of his mother who said it to me I read it that they were actually concerned for the well being of their 28 year old son who was still living at home. Wanted them to get out in the world and not be depending on their parents, because they were worried when they got too old or they died that their son wouldnt be able to cope.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Echospace wrote: »
    Is this true? Is the recession to blame for this? I am 26 and living at home but plan to move out within the next year. Whether that materializes or not is the question.
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

I have to say that I have noticed that Irish men have this odd tendency to keep living with their parents until they find a wife/girlfriend to look after them.
    I always found it very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

That's a load of bollox. What about all the people who are left homes in wills? Are they also failures in life, just because they avail of something which is there for them to avail of? If you lost your job would you still be 'self-sufficient' as a few of you keep putting it? That would make you wonder what sort of yardstick you're measuring success with in the first place

It's about being able to support yourself as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I stay on college campus all week but go home most weekends,

Kinda worried about what the parents will do without me when I move out properly after college.

Most people I know who live within an hour of the college will commute. Its very common in Dublin especially since accommodation is so expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

It's about being able to support yourself as an adult.

I know a couple of people who make very nice money and are still living at home. They could afford to rent, but it just suits everyone concerned to live in the family home.

They're fully able to support themselves, and do in fact cover most of the running cost of their homes now (in the case of one, his parents spend a lot of their time at another house anyway).

I dunno, it just suits some people. Suits the parents, suits the 'children'. It's not always about dependence on parents per se.

Noodleworm wrote: »
    I stay on college campus all week but go home most weekends,

Kinda worried about what the parents will do without me when I move out properly after college.

Most people I know who live within an hour of the college will commute. Its very common in Dublin especially since accommodation is so expensive.

If you use your parents postal address for correspondence and alot do in this scenario then your probably counted as living at home!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Each to their own desires and circumstances.

Couldn't do it myself but I'm currently lucky enough not to have to. If they have the room and you both want to live there, why not?

Nice to see the usual type of experts holding forth: the ones whose assumed knowledge of a situation appears to be directly proportional to their lack of experience of the subject of hand (see also: parenting, "scumbag" areas and unemployment).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'm 29 and considering moving home to try and clear my debts,

00's Ireland FML...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A lot depends the individual i wouldn't be a fan of adult children living with their parents especially if they are in their thirties.

If the adult child is genuinely contributing the full cost of their keep, was doing their own washing, cooking etc doing their own thing and its not causing hassle on either side then thats grand,... but if they are their because they are looking for a free ride in regards to money or looking after themselves.... or have dropped out of college a few time... never really had a job, don't know what they want then i wouldn't be very happy with the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I find the stat hard to comprehend. My Mum lives with my sister who is 38, Mum stays with me for the odd weekend and when my sister goes on holidays and I'm 36!

With mothers having children at an older age, sign of times to come?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Scary thread. If my kids are still living at home at 21 I'm having them adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My parents moved house 40 miles away when I was 18 to "encourage" us all to move out. It worked. I lasted 6 months in the new house before I got sick of sleeping on people's couches 5 nights a week and moved in with my brother.

Really don't understand the attachment that some parents have to caring for their offspring all their lives. I would hazard a guess that it's mainly mothers (or fathers) who never pursued anything else with their lives and spent 20-odd years of their life with no interests except their children. When their children grow up, they're scared that they will have nothing to do and that their kids won't be able to fend for themselves.

I have never heard a parent say, ever, that "I wish my kids had never moved out". Seriously, move out before you're 21. It's much more fun than living at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

There is only 1 woman in my life

& that's my mammy

She scrubs my skidmarks with Mr. Muscle Dirt & Grime
    Cooks my dinner
    Washes & irons all my clothes
    Buffs my shoes for work
    Has the dinner on the table when I arrive home
    Gives me lifts & buys me drink in the offo for the weekends
    Cleans & hoovers my bedroom, changes my sheets etc...
    Did I mention that I don't have to pay them rent or bills etc...
    Completlely disposable income

I also have a partner for the last 8 yrs who comes over at the weekends to give me my long awaited weekly long shag and then fooks off home on Sunday so I don't have to listen to her crap all week long

so best of both worlds really
    I am close to 30 yrs old now.

But reaslitically with me & her working we can only get a crap mortgage to pay for a house which isn't worth a 3rd of what it is priced at, no thank you. & I am not paying some other a$$holes rent / mortgage

When the house prices come down and the banks can give more I might consider it.

Right now I like my maid and my weekly shag and free living

I will wait for mammy's house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There is only 1 woman in my life

& that's my mammy

She scrubs my skidmarks with Mr. Muscle Dirt & Grime
    Cooks my dinner
    Washes & irons all my clothes
    Buffs my shoes for work
    Has the dinner on the table when I arrive home
    Gives me lifts & buys me drink in the offo for the weekends
    Cleans & hoovers my bedroom, changes my sheets etc...
    Did I mention that I don't have to pay them rent or bills etc...
    Completlely disposable income

I also have a partner for the last 8 yrs who comes over at the weekends to give me my long awaited weekly long shag and then fooks off home on Sunday so I don't have to listen to her crap all week long

so best of both worlds really
    I am close to 30 yrs old now.

But reaslitically with me & her working we can only get a crap mortgage to pay for a house which isn't worth a 3rd of what it is priced at, no thank you. & I am not paying some other a$$holes rent / mortgage

When the house prices come down and the banks can give more I might consider it.

Right now I like my maid and my weekly shag and free living

I will wait for mammy's house
    If there was more as smart as you this country would'nt be in the state it is today.

Congratulations for not letting "them" brainwash you and

Continue your good practises.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Adults living in their parents home can be mutually beneficial. If the child is working and living at home he can be contributing to the mortgage but in so doing paying less than what they would pay in the free market (assume they cover their other living costs as well). This means the parents can use the portion of the mortgage payment that the child is covering on other interests. The outcome is that the parent and child both have a reduced living cost. This comes about due to the fact that adult offspring living in the house are not intrusive (in the way an outsider would be) to the household.

Of course this scenario can slide to either side of the scale in that one party benefits more than the other. This would be where a child is helping to support the parent in a monetary or non monetary way due to their special relationship. On the other hand the parent can also support (see "Mammy" in SPECIFIC cases) the child by allowing them live rent free or doing washing/cooking for them.

It all comes down to circumstance as we have seen from all the previous posts. The fact that someone is living at home doesn't really tell us anything about the dynamic in which it is occurring and as such the initial statistic is fairly redundant.

Also in a lot of cases adult offspring live off the parent till early to mid twenties due to the increasing normalisation of 3rd level education as the standard level of education. So when the separation of dependency is no longer based on reaching adulthood but on reaching an academic standard the stigma of an adult living with/off their parent(s) is already broken down. I think this is one of the reasons along with Tiger renting/buying prices and the Recessionary job losses that the reversion to parent child cohabiting begun. And a reversion it is, the family home has been multi generational up until recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Personally I'd of thought it'd be closer to the 100% mark since most people live in a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I'm living at home and I consider myself a failure.

Mind you, I also considered myself a failure when I worked a life-sapping desk job and paid some ****ing asshole extortionate rent for a crummy apartment. We're not exactly Maasai tribesmen here. Bring back a dead lion and I'll be impressed. Hell, a mountain goat would do. Jerking yourself off because you've the mental capacity to make a couple of clicks on Monster and a couple more on Daft doesn't quite do it. Let's be honest, most of the smugly self-sufficient masses are failures too. Not all of them of course, but the odds of you falling into this category do rise steeply if you like to spend your time clucking about it on your Crackpot Central soapbox.

I still like this post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I still like this post :D

Reminds me of Kevin Spacey in American Beauty.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 myinkisblue

Can I ask how people who still live at home think it effects their dating and social life? I'm 30 and have just moved back home because I lost my job, boyfriend and am broke. I want to meet someone but can't imagine that saying the words "I'd ask you in but my parents would kill me" are a turn on. Have you any funny stories to tell on this topic or any comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

I love been a statistic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Someone get onto Alison.

I heard she has a room goin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mp3kid

Someone get onto Alison.

She's already here !!
    I'm broke. Have you any funny stories to tell on this topic or any comment?

Are the figures, i.e: the 33% or Irish men still living at home particularly high because of the recession or has this number remained stable since pre- recession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 starman1

I must admit i'm always a little jealous when I hear these stories of lads being pampered by mammies. I was kicked out at sixteen and never taken a penny off the folks since. We get on great now I'm nearly thirty and it was the best thing that couldve happened as the need for food and warmth focused my mind almost immediately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What's stupid about it? we had this debate before but if you can't support yourself by mid twenties you're a bit of a failure imo.

Right, because everyone living at home in early twenties is there because they "cant support themselves". Nothing to do with supporting themselves AND their parents, perhaps. Or any other number of reasons.
    People making stupid comments like this make me really annoyed, and listening to how I was being lazy and mooching when I was doing nothing of the sort also p* me off when I was at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Distorted

Imagine going out on a first date with some hot babe.
    She asks you where you live.
    "With me mammy"...... OUCH!!!

And since we're n statistics i bet 90% of single women wouldnt date a man living at home. But 90% would say they would if asked.

I'd be in the 10% then. As well as the 90%. Just wouldn't know what to think of a man still living at home at an age when I'd already left home for a few years. Heard so many horror stories from female friends about dating mummy's boys who don't know how to pay bills on their own, or get a mortgage, or what to do when something in the house breaks, or clear up their mess after themselves...just would never go there! Plus theres the financial aspect, if I've gone out into the world and bought my own place, I'm not letting someone else move out from the family home straight into mine - I'd really be looking for them already to have their own place, so as to show motivation, independence and be interesting enough for me to date. I accept other people think differently though!

And then theres the practicalities - you would always have to go round to the girl's place, or if you went round to his, you would either have to sneak in to a room he'd lived in as a child and possibly still decorated in the same way, or bypass the parents first and be scrutinised by them...help, get me out of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

A Lot of people here assume that those that live at home are automatically mammies boys. Well, in my case that couldn't be further from the truth. I still live at home and have always contributed towards the bills, paid rent and do my fair share when it comes to cooking, cleaning and shopping.

I would rather pay my parents rent money and help out with the bills and housework than living in some grubby flat - forking out money to a landlord - or paying for some overpriced poorly built dog box out in the middle of nowhere.

Besides, how many of those here who don't live at home are being subsidised by the taxpayer via rent supplements? They gone from the teat of mammy unto the teat of the taxpayer.

Would it put a guy off if he was dating a girl and she didn't have her own place, i.e: She's moved back home and was living with her parents for whatever reason? Guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Would it put a guy off if he was dating a girl and she didn't have her own place, i.e: She's moved back home and was living with her parents for whatever reason? Guys?

it wouldn't but then I evaulate people on a contextual basis rather than applying a universal rule to everyone so I'm not representative of general opinion probably.

Advertisement