Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ghost-Hunting TV Series - To View Or Not To View?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I missed it.

The best shows on this genre are when they put history into the programme. Some fantastic locations. I know many people who watch paranormal programmes just because of the locations and they can get a look around the place lol.

Not enough focus on that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'm assuming this sh1te is going to be on tv3, the term lowest common denominator springs to mind. Tv3 have really been churning out some awful stuff lately;

Gangland Ireland
    Underbelly:crime boss
    Irish dream debs 20010
    Piers Morgans life stories
    Boozed up Irish Abroad

and now this sh1te, they also had some program on recently which was about teens in Ireland which basically made out that all our teens are off drinking taking drugs and riding in bushes at every hands turn. The station makes RTE look like the height of high brow broadcasting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Yeah, I used to think similarly about that film, until a guy and a girl I know watched it alone in their respective homes while everybody else was out recently and it spooked them royally. They said that they had experienced no such reaction when they had seen it in the cinema previously.

Put someone in a house alone while watching it and their mood changes entirely. :)

I watched it alone, at night, and in a house not dissimilar to that in the film and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, although I don't think that there is any credible evidence for the supernatural, I certainly love the dark charm that good ghost stories and hauntings have. I just felt that Paranormal Activity was utterly lacking in that respect. The acting was appalling, the supposedly frightening paranormal presence was boring both in description and how it manifested itself and the conclusion was completely lacking in suspense. Give me the original Haunting or even the Sixth Sense, but this superficial garbage isn't fit to stand as a representative of the ghost/horror film genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Biggins wrote: »
    You do realize where you have posted the original question?

Of course I'm aware of the rep. this forum has, but I also stated originally that what was sought only was whether people would or would not watch a show like this. Is that so difficult for forum members of adult age (at least I think that's the case here - correct me if I'm wrong, seriously) to answer? Is that too much of a challenge, or was I too unclear?

Ramblings about glowing eyeballs and a dick talking to Elvis is meandering, pointless drivel that's best reserved for either a plastered night on the tiles with your mates, or a creative writing class.
    Honestly, if you wanted more standard critic answers, AH is not the best place.

What is then, in your opinion?

I watched it alone, at night, and in a house not dissimilar to that in the film and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, although I don't think that there is any credible evidence for the supernatural, I certainly love the dark charm that good ghost stories and hauntings have. I just felt that Paranormal Activity was utterly lacking in that respect. The acting was appalling, the supposedly frightening paranormal presence was boring both in description and how it manifested itself and the conclusion was completely lacking in suspense. Give me the original Haunting or even the Sixth Sense, but this superficial garbage isn't fit to stand as a representative of the ghost/horror film genre.

To each their own.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What is then, in your opinion?
    As already somewhat mentioned, if done with an absolute professional manner, with professional people, it would be a good start.
    Otherwise its just inevitably more of the same, just dressed up in a different visual structured format.

I see it was Kinnitty castle. Watching it now, the voice over guy is not needed tbh. In that stupid voice anyway. Is that an act lol.

I'm assuming this sh1te is going to be on tv3, the term lowest common denominator springs to mind. Tv3 have really been churning out some awful stuff lately;

Gangland Ireland
    Underbelly:crime boss
    Irish dream debs 20010
    Piers Morgans life stories
    Boozed up Irish Abroad

and now this sh1te, they also had some program on recently which was about teens in Ireland which basically made out that all our teens are off drinking taking drugs and riding in bushes at every hands turn. The station makes RTE look like the height of high brow broadcasting.

Right, I'm assuming from all this that you would not watch a show about Irish-based paranormal investigation then. That's grand.

As already somewhat mentioned, if done with an absolute professional manner, with professional people, it would be a good start.
    Otherwise its just inevitably more of the same, just dressed up in a different visual structured format.

No, what I meant by "What is then, in your opinion?" was what is the best place to be posting a thread like this?

Because you had stated that AH was not the best place to be posting a thread like this, which is evident already.

No, what I meant by "What is then, in your opinion?" was what is the best place to be posting a thread like this?

Because you had stated that AH was not the best place to be posting a thread like this.
    Tried the "Reality" or "Television" sections on boards.ie?

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I see it was Kinnitty castle. Watching it now, the voice over guy is not needed tbh. In that stupid voice anyway. Is that an act lol.

God, yeah, the voiceover was really stupid alright.

Tried the "Reality" or "Television" sections on boards.ie?

No, but will do. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

I personally would not watch such a show. For one, I don't believe in spirits or ghosts and for two, I don't have a tv any longer :p! I threw it out in protest at the trite stuff that passes for programming these days.

But good luck with your endeavour friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Don't believe in ghosts or anything but I'd imagine a lot of people would watch it purely through curiosity, particularly when the people/places are closer to home than 'most haunted' or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Nope.. load of me hole TV... Wouldnt even consider watching it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AxJSbGOBU8&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Hopefully, it would feature a professional team conducting paranormal investigations of allegedly 'haunted' buildings and sites around Ireland.

Ahhh you're hilarious!
    It's an entertainment show, end of. No proof of any ghost has ever been recorded and while peeps may believe in them just like gods/tooth fairies etc, you're not gonna find anything serious on a show like this. The Most Haunted thing was so successful because it didn't really take itself seriously and you could easily tell they all had a good laugh making the show. Even sceptics watched that because they enjoyed the show and maybe the sight of someone else in their living room being genuinely scared.

Don't dress up as professional and it might be watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No way, watching the washing maching wash my clothes would be more interesting. Can't understand why anybody would watch such utter sh**e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

No, but will do. Cheers.
    Ah I wouldn't get too discouraged by some of the reactions here, you mention anything paranormal to some people and they go into a paroxysm of received righteous rage as if you'd told them the earth was flat. It is entertainment, just like almost everything else on TV, and everyone loves a good ghost story, the trick is to find an angle that works and keep people interested.

I doubt anyone wants to see a dry scientific documentary about repeated failures to find anything, but that doesn't mean you won't find a wide audience if you hit the right notes.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    ...doesn't mean you won't find a wide audience if you hit the right notes.
    Just at the mo, don't get Cheryl Cole to sing them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Post a question here, you might have opened Pandora's box! :pac:

The dirty slut!

• Advertisement

I personally would not watch such a show.

Okay, that's fine. Thanks.
    For one, I don't believe in spirits or ghosts and for two,

As I stated originally, I was not seeking people's opinions on whether or not they believe in ghosts/spirits.
    I don't have a tv any longer :p! I threw it out in protest at the trite stuff that passes for programming these days.

You shared some info about what you did with your television and the reason behind it. Right.

Ah well, who needs a TV when you have an Internet connection?
    But good luck with your endeavour friend!

Thank you, but this isn't my personal endeavour. All I did was throw a question out there.

Just at the mo, don't get Cheryl Cole to sing them! :D

Why "at the mo"? Does she have tonsillitis, or something? :rolleyes:

Greyfox wrote: »
    No way, watching the washing maching wash my clothes would be more interesting. Can't understand why anybody would watch such utter sh**e

:)

Why "at the mo"? Does she have tonsillitis, or something? :rolleyes:
    If your into television and media, you should be well able to answer your own question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

Okay, that's fine. Thanks.

As I stated originally, I was not seeking people's opinions on whether or not they believe in ghosts/spirits.

You shared some info about what you did with your television and the reason behind it. Right.

Ah well, who needs a TV when you have an Internet connection?

Thank you, but this isn't my personal endeavour. All I did was throw a question out there.

I'm almost sorry I endeavoured to respond now :p

This should be moved to the paranormal forum. Its there for a reason.

Ah I wouldn't get too discouraged by some of the reactions here, you mention anything paranormal to some people and they go into a paroxysm of received righteous rage as if you'd told them the earth was flat. It is entertainment, just like almost everything else on TV, and everyone loves a good ghost story, the trick is to find an angle that works and keep people interested.

In my experience, this is a reaction typically found in some sections of Irish society. The French, English, and the Americans, sure God love 'em, whom I've met haven't got anywhere near as infuriated and almost 'offended' by a benign topic such as this as some Irish seemingly do.

God, some people seriously need to relax and save their ire for matters that are really worth getting worked up about.
    I doubt anyone wants to see a dry scientific documentary about repeated failures to find anything, but that doesn't mean you won't find a wide audience if you hit the right notes.

No, it could never be too academic in its approach because it wouldn't find an adequate audience. There would have to be a happy medium, so to speak.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    This should be moved to the paranormal forum. Its there for a reason.

Sure, Keith, I've seen you grace the Paranormal forum many a time with your presence - I thought you, of all the people around here, would already know that the thread and poll was first posted there yesterday? :confused:

I'm almost sorry I endeavoured to respond now :p

Ah no, sure it wasn't a response in vain on your part at all. After sifting through your rant, I was still able to realise that your answer was "No, I would avoid watching it".

Very good. :)

• Advertisement

Sure, Keith, I've seen you grace the Paranormal forum many a time with your presence - I thought you, of all the people around here, would already know that the thread and poll was first posted there yesterday? :confused:
    Nah. I missed the show yesterday. I just watched it on youtube.

A few things about it, basically a few of them went in expecting stuff to happen and a number of them didn't get anything really. It really only got a bit interesting and actually more 'entertaining' when the paranormal group came in and it kind of had more of a flow to it.

I think it could be a good series if they scrap the voice over guy and replace that medium with some one who isn't sensational.

Advertisement