Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ghost-Hunting TV Series - To View Or Not To View?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

Hello. We were discussing whether we would or would not watch an Irish TV series about ghost-hunting/paranormal investigation on Irish television over on the Paranormal forum. The reaction was fairly mixed, tbh.

It was suggested to bring the question over here to see what typically non-paranormal-minded folk would think of a show of this kind. There's a poll for this as well, so it would be appreciated if people would cast their vote. It doesn't matter whether or not you believe or don't believe in stuff like ghosts and the afterlife in general - what matters only is whether or not the programme would attract your interest.

Now, ideally, the programme would not run along the lines of the more well-known and infamously farcical 'Most Haunted' (most of you have heard of Derek Acorah, its chief clown, I presume?). Hopefully, it would feature a professional team conducting paranormal investigations of allegedly 'haunted' buildings and sites around Ireland. Also, the investigations might be attended by willing, everyday members of the public.

The show could also be an intriguing opportunity to confirm or to quash any long-standing rumours of various places supposedly being 'haunted' by white ladies, black dogs, headless monks, screaming babies, or whatever else. I'm sure most people can think of at least one place in their hometown, or near it, that has a spooky story or two attached to it.

But, aside from the possible format of the show, do you think you would be inclined to watch a TV show of this nature?

Would you watch an Irish TV series about paranormal investigation of Irish places? 44 votes

Yes, definitely.
    0% 0 votes
    No, I would avoid watching it.
    20% 9 votes
    Maybe. My curiosity might get the better of me.
    79% 35 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Don't bother, its all crap! Yet another cheap rip-off of similar rubbish on other stations.
    I won't be tuning in for this cheap rubbish. More useless brainfodder for the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Id watch it if it was nothing like most haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If it's taking the subject matter too seriously it'll be boring. If your having a laugh you'll only insult all the biddies that believe this stuff. I'd give it a chance the premise is interesting, it would either be great or crap, more than likely crap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It wouldn't interest me personally. I don't believe in ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Biggins wrote: »
    Don't bother, its all crap! Yet another cheap rip-off of similar rubbish on other stations.
    I won't be tuning in for this cheap rubbish. More useless brainfodder for the masses.

Erm, if you re-read what I said, I wrote that, ideally, it would NOT be a rip-off of, or an imitation of, crap like 'Most Haunted' and all those similar shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

You need to get Derek Acorah on.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

If it could show conclusive, irrefutable evidence that ghosts exist then I would definitely watch it. Otherwise no

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Hmm i dunno. I used to watch them type of programmes, and tried watching a bit of the new one that was on on RTE the other night, bit of a lurker in the paranormal forum,so had seen about it there, but when i heard some grown woman say she was going to wear nappies during the night, i switched over quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Topless ghost hunting, now that I could watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I like things like this and Ireland has a huge history of folklore/haunted castles etc that it could be good viewing but it's RTE and you just know that no matter what they do they're going to f*** it up so I probably won't bother.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    If it's taking the subject matter too seriously it'll be boring. If your having a laugh you'll only insult all the biddies that believe this stuff. I'd give it a chance the premise is interesting, it would either be great or crap, more than likely crap though.

Well, that was more-or-less what we were saying over in Paranormal. I mean, the reality is that paranormal investigation is fairly banal, analytical, and tedious by its nature. That's the reality you don't see portrayed on TV ordinarily because, yes, it probably doesn't make for exciting television.

But what might make it interesting is the human interest side of it - the local people around Ireland who have stories to tell, the factual history behind some of the sites, and the honest, unedited experiences of the Joe/Josephine Soaps who attend the investigations.

A balance between serious investigation and some fun would be the ideal premise.

[... ] but it's RTE and you just know that no matter what they do they're going to f*** it up so I probably won't bother.

Lol.

What if it wasn't RTE though? What if it was TV3?! :D

Erm, if you re-read what I said, I wrote that, ideally, it would NOT be a rip-off of, or an imitation of, crap like 'Most Haunted' and all those similar shows.
    So you can confirm that its going to be an actual scientific study of ghosts, with quantifiable verifiable results - a show each week with those who will put their scientific reputations on the line and state their opinions one way or the other?

...Or is it just going to be presenters rambling around Irish places, just like an English version?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Just put a bag of potatoes in the middle of the floor and all the famine ghosts will be all over it.

"If there's any ghosts in the room, please throw a potato across the room"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So you can confirm that its going to be an actual scientific study of ghosts, with quantifiable verifiable results - a show each week with those who will put their scientific reputations on the line and state their opinions one way or the other?

...Or is it just going to be presenters rambling around Irish places, just like an English version?

Shiny eyeballs in a dark shed with the occasional screaming, and some dick telling you what Elvis just said to him.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Shiny eyeballs in a dark shed with the occasional screaming, and some dick telling you what Elvis just said to him.
    ...And Elvis ridding down a country lane on Shergar, being lead by Lord Lucan's calling! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Mary loves dick!

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Mary loves dick!
    Maybe Mary loves Jane instead! ;)

I can't confirm it 100% yet because this is merely an attempt to gauge a reaction from the general public first. If said interest was weighty enough, the project could then be developed further and a definite format could be put in place.

But one thing that most of the guys (and girls) who are active in paranormal investigation in Ireland have agreed on thusfar is that, yes, a show like this should only go ahead if it's serious, rational, comprehensive and balanced investigation of paranormal phenomena.

We've all heard tall tales about 'hauntings' of this and that, so it's fair to say at this point that people want some truth.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

If you could put cameo reenactments of the events that presumably led to the haunting that might be good, like that show "A Haunting", quite entertaining stuff, which led directly to "Paranormal activity", the movie that almost got banned in Italy. It sort of spoils the illusion when you see eyewitnesses on one show appearing in entirely unrelated hauntings in other shows though. :rolleyes:

It might be good if you took a mythbusters approach as well, hard eyed yet tongue in cheek investigations and attempts to provoke spiritual events, backed up by instrument recordings and say a third party who is a recognised authority like a physics professor. You could ask people to send in their stories and go debunk them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Saw it the other night, reminded me of a cross between most haunted/xfactor.
    Ooooo look door is moving. Will we check if maybe window is open? Yes , but not till the next morning.
    Id watch it again, just to see if it got any better.

Unless its a documentary show filled by measured results, carried out by trained professionals, who's reputations are beyond just "celeb status" - in all seriousness, it will swing towards the others rubbish format of light presenting by non-professionals and just be yet another wasteful show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But what might make it interesting is the human interest side of it - the local people around Ireland who have stories to tell, the factual history behind some of the sites, and the honest, unedited experiences of the Joe/Josephine Soaps who attend the investigations.
    That sounds ok, if you got good storeys from around the country and there is loads and even that would be a good way to catalogue those storeys from good storey tellers before they disappear. My mother has storeys about the grandfather walking home from the pub and taking a short cut through a field. Back then they thought if you got lost it had nothing to do with being drunk and was because fairies where messing with you so he used to spin around 10 times and out he's coat on inside out to confuse them.

You do need to find something worth talking about instead of just making a show on the subject. I think if you just want to make a show for the sake of it, it'll fail miserably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    If you could put cameo reenactments of the events that presumably led to the haunting that might be good, like that show "A Haunting", quite entertaining stuff, which led directly to "Paranormal activity", the movie that almost got banned in Italy. It sort of spoils the illusion when you see eyewitnesses on one show appearing in entirely unrelated hauntings in other shows though. :rolleyes:

It might be good if you took a mythbusters approach as well, hard eyed yet tongue in cheek investigations and attempts to provoke spiritual events, backed up by instrument recordings and say a third party who is a recognised authority like a physics professor. You could ask people to send in their stories and go debunk them.

The only reason I can posit as to why "Paranormal Activity" would almost get banned is that it is comfortably the least entertaining thing ever rendered in the medium of film, and in forming that opinion I include the 3 hours and 42 minutes I accidentally recorded when I didn't turn off my new video camera properly, and left it facing a grey wall while I went into town.

That's your own personal opinion, which is appreciated. Thank you.

ejmaztec wrote: »

:confused:

Helpful input.

That's your own personal opinion, which is appreciated. Thank you.
    Your quite welcome. :D

:confused:

Helpful input.

You do realize where you have posted the original question?
    Honestly, if you wanted more standard critic answers, AH is not the best place.

Post a question here, you might have opened Pandora's box! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The only reason I can posit as to why "Paranormal Activity" would almost get banned is that it is comfortably the least entertaining thing ever rendered in the medium of film, and in forming that opinion I include the 3 hours and 42 minutes I accidentally recorded when I didn't turn off my new video camera properly, and left it facing a grey wall while I went into town.
    Made ridiculous amounts of money though.

A few more ideas, you can assume you're going to fail to find anything in each show, so you need to make failure entertaining, not slapstick but maybe smartarse, openly mocking the spooks and spirits. Call it the Dead Files or something, anything with "Files" in the title will get the conspiracy crowd on board.

Actually the scope for blending reality and fantasy in a show like this is massive. Purely for PR, you could get one of the redshirts to stalk off, pale faced, in the middle of another debunking, and never say anything, before quitting the show (you won't be pursuing the contract obligations, a little off-set discussion, some anger, some drama). Introduce a tiny artifact in one of the episodes that isn't spotted until weeks later by someone unrelated to the show, and if you wanted to go out with a bang, have it abruptly cancelled halfway through the season, no reason given, members are unavailable for interview.

Could be a lot of fun!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I used to think similarly about that film, until a guy and a girl I know watched it alone in their respective homes while everybody else was out recently and it spooked them royally. They said that they had experienced no such reaction when they had seen it in the cinema previously.

Put someone in a house alone while watching it and their mood changes entirely. :)

Advertisement