Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs of Aging?

Options
  • 06-10-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Was just wondering what signs of aging all you lovely ladies are starting to notice? I understand it will differ a lot depending on people's ages but was just wondering if people are starting to notice any changes!

I'm about to turn 27 in a few weeks and think my skin looks in better condition than it did ten years ago when I drank and smoked like nobodies business but I think I can see the first tiny few fine lines under my eyes when I'm tired or put a drying concealer there! But they may have always been there...just think I'm getting paranoid because I'm turning 27!:)

What about you?:)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't take much notice of ageing looks wise, I only really notice about the things my body finds it harder to do now. I'm 30 and it's much harder to lose a few pounds now.

I'm sure some day I'll catch a glimpse of myself and think "Who is that!". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Linguo I have two little wrinkles that appear under my right eye when I'm wrecked tired, freaked out a while ago that they were age related but I remember having them during the Leaving Cert for definite :p

The only thing I've noticed, and it isn't a cosmetic thing, but I sleep much lighter now, I'm only 25 but in the last year I sleep lighter and wake up earlier. We call my mom The Vampire because she goes to bed at about 12-1am, sleeps about 4 hours altogether and gets up anywhere from 7.30 onwards, drives her mad, I hope I don't get that bad, I love my sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I don't plan on thinking about wrinkles etc until I'm 40.

Worrying about that kinda crap is what gives you wrinkles in the first place :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The only place I show the (dreaded!) signs of aging (I'm 27) is around my eyes. I usually wear eye make-up though, so I'm fully prepared to get an eye lift when I'm fifty!
    I also discovered my first grey hair a couple of months ago (not very noticeable as I'm blonde) but I don't mind a few grey hairs, I hope they might make my highlights last longer. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Xiney wrote: »

Damn you and your wisdom. :p;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Haha I'm not worried about wrinkles, I'm actually just interested to see what other women are noticing, I think it's interesting!

Also you see the amount of people that never have the chance to reach old age because of tragedy and realise how lucky you are to get there in the first place!

Just being nosy and seeing how other girls are finding getting older:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well I'm 28, a few things I've noticed recently is a line by my mouth (only on one side though, my smile is lopsided and has been for years, luckily the OH thinks it's cute!) and I've developed a lot more facial hair than I ever had before, it's very disturbing. But my Mam was the same, so it's not freaky, but still disturbing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am 36 and my daddy has said that I have "laughter lines" around my eyes but no grey hairs yet (but expecting them any day)...the way I look at it, I am just glad that I am getting old enough to have these features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I'm 28 and I've noticed my skin is a lot more uneven. I've a fair few red blotchy patches.
    I've also noticed my eyes are a bit more puffy.

Then again, I don't exactly live by the "rules", don't drink enough water etc so it's probably self inflicted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Xiney wrote: »

Yep. At 40 you get the face you deserve.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Am 36 and my daddy has said that I have "laughter lines" around my eyes but no grey hairs yet (but expecting them any day)...the way I look at it, I am just glad that I am getting old enough to have these features.

Wow. That is an amazing way to look at it. Thank you so much for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't think you have to worry about being old at 27 :D

I haven't noticed anything beyond having some grey hair. I like my grey hair! It's great :D

I don't look for any wrinkles or anything though. Can't imagine I have any yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Just turned 29 (where's Galvasean freaking out at how old I am?!!:p) and haven't noticed anything yet...I always get people saying I look younger so I hope that trend continues for another while....doubt it will bother me when the wrinkles/grey hairs start appearing though, that's life. Everyone ages, it's natural. I won't ever bother with botox or any of that malarkey either, I'd rather have a few laughter lines instead of looking plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I've had crows feet and grey hairs since I was a teenager. Probably more now, don't really know. I try not inspect my face on the close up mirror. I am short sighted and look damn fine from a mirror further away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I noticed a few grey hairs in a bathroom at work about a year ago. That bathroom has much better lighing then any other in the building, so I don't use it anymore :o Denial all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm only 21... and... I have some grey hairs! :eek::o:) My dad went grey really young though, in fact I've only ever seen him in photographs with dark hair. So my grey hair doesn't mean I'm getting old, it just means I have my daddy's genes! Grr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm 26, and I have wrinkles on my forehead, though everyone says they're not noticeable, I have constantly wrinkles under my eyes so I always look tired, and where my cheek meets the bit under my eyes I've a few little creases there. I have a few grey hairs, but can't see them at all.

For the past couple of years I've been wearing sun cream every day, because I'm trying to lighten up my freckles, so that should stop my skin from aging a lot I suppose.

Ironically enough with all my wrinkles and grey hairs people are always saying I look much younger than I am. At the zoo last week I was asked if I wanted a child or adult ticket :rolleyes:

What I don't understand is you always see these creams that are out for anti aging, and de-wrinkling but they're all made for people with wrinkles, but is there anything for people that trying to take care of their skin before they get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

stupidusername most of the anti ageing/wrinkle creams are marketed to people who already have them because the companies know that that is who will buy them, people desperate to reverse the damage that has been done. Using suncream is the best start to protecting your skin later, and keeping it hydrated, not smoking, not drinking excessively, all things which will keep your whole body healthy, and will keep your skin healthy as a nice side effect.

My Grandad was out with my Mom a few days ago, he met a man he knew in the 1980's. He asked my grandad how old he was now, Grandad said "How old do you think I am??", the man said that he knew my Grandad had to be at least 70 but he didn't look it. Cue Grandad declaring proudly that he's 79 :) He never drank or smoked and barely has a wrinkle, he is my idol!

I'm going to buck the trend of all you optimistic/not superficial people and tell you that I am *terrified* of ageing, all aspects of it, absolutely break-into-cold-sweat terrified. I don't look for wrinkles yet but only because I know I don't have them, but I thought I found a grey hair a few weeks ago and I was nearly hysterical, turns out it was just a very light random blonde one :o My boyfriend said the day I do find one he's going to hand me the icecream and then leave the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'm 31 and am just starting to notice fine lines running from my nose to my mouth, which I hate, especially considering thet I've NEVER smoked, and so really don't deserve them! :mad: The rest of my skin is fine though. I have oily skin so if the old wives tales are to be believed then hopefully I won't get too many wrinkles. My friend is a year older than me, doesn't smoke either, but has dry skin and is starting to get quite a few wrinkles, so maybe there is something in it?

No grey hairs yet though thankfully :) I'll probably jinx myself now saying that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What I don't understand is you always see these creams that are out for anti aging, and de-wrinkling but they're all made for people with wrinkles, but is there anything for people that trying to take care of their skin before they get them?
    Worse the wrinkle cream ads usually show 16 year old models as examples. :rolleyes: :) That I could never understand. Like the diet/"fat free" food ads. They usually show someone who ate a stick of celery two weeks ago.

From what I've read skin aging is down to genetics, diet, exercise levels, smoking and sun exposure. With the latter apparently most damage is done before your 20's. Look at the black ladies (and men). Built in sunblock and far less lines on their faces. Like they say black don't crack :) Genetics you can do sod all about. Yet anyway. So diet and exercise to keep insulin control would be a biggy.

More and more it seems insulin regulation is one of the major factors in longevity and aging. Studies of very old people, show all sorts of lifestyle diffs. Some drink, smoke, eat crap and still make it to 100. One of the consistent things is they have genetic protection that gives them a better regulation of insulin. Most dont have those protective genes, but lifestyle, like exercise and diet(lose the sugar and simple carbs basically) and not smoking, will give much the same effect. Groups of people that traditionally have high exercise levels and very low sugar intake(tribal types basically) when they move to western lifestyle go greyer earlier, the men go balder earlier too. The Japanese a good example. Male baldness was rare among them as a population. After world war two their rates approach the wests. So if you do the health thang I'd reckon the younger you are physically the younger you'll look cosmetically.

Author may or may not be following own advice. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

I've got fine crows feet at my eyes. And the bags/black circles under my eyes are much more pronounced now if I'm tired whereas a few years back I used to be able to get away with it. There's a few grey hairs in there too.

I don't look my age, my Mam has glorious skin for her age so I'm hoping that I've inherited her youthful looks. Unfortunately Mam hasn't got the same yen for delicious red wine. :D

I got asked for ID in the supermarket the other week, mind you I think that was just an opportunistic young lad looking for a Sugar Mummy. :D

My face tells of the journey I've been on thus far in my life, I'm ok with it looking a little shop worn. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Actually one thing I really have noticed is my eye sight has gone to pot. I find myself squinting at the tv on a regular basis trying to read the program synopsis on sky :p

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

I'm 26, my skin seems to be fine so far. I have a few small fine lines around my eyes when I laugh and a small line on one side of my mouth when I smile, but that's about it. There has to be some upside to being a tee-totaling, vegetarian non-smoker!

However, I made the mistake of looking at my face in the illuminated magnifier mirror that my Grandmother bought me, which was horrifying. Those things are evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Wibbs wrote: »
    Genetics you can do sod all about. Yet anyway. So diet and exercise to keep insulin control would be a biggy.

With my family I think it's hard to tell how I'll turn out if this is down to genes. my mam was fairly normal up until the few years before she died, but she loved the sun and smoked 20 a day for 30 years so that'd explain why she was quite wrinkly.

My dad isn't doing too bad for being 50. though not great either. he's mega over weight too, and he did smoke for a long enough time. only have one grandparent, my granny, and she's not too bad for being 77.

In terms of living longer, on my dads side they're all insanely old. My great granny died at 100, and she had 12 children, 10 of whom are still alive and all in their 80's and are all still flying it! though my dad's mother died at 46, and my mam died at 47, so there's no real telling of what way things will go. anyway this has turned into a ramble....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I noticed in a recent picture that I have crows feet :o:(:o I am 26!!! I am often told I look younger :D But I saw the crows feet :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm wrinkle free so far, but thats down to me being a miserable git who doesnt smile :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yep. At 40 you get the face you deserve.:D

Then I hope I have lots and lots of smile and laugh lines :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm noticing all right how I'm starting to think "older person" thoughts - e.g. in relation to the overly loud bars the "youngsters today" go to, and what they drink (like Jagerbombs etc) and good god, how do they do it?! Etc.

Ew... I never thought I'd become like that! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am in my forties and it dose not bother me one one bit... what can you do about it anyway!... i think those anti aging creams are hilarious i cant believe women buy them... there was one product that had the tag line makes you look up to ten years younger my ex husband use to say if i buy two pot of the stuff will i look twenty years younger!!

The thing is you get happier and more content with yourself as you get older.

I suspect people who have problems with getting older probably feel unfulfilled in areas of there life and think that time is passing them by and that they will never achieve what they want.... and some women are very into how they look and do mourn the loss of their looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Smallbit

mariaalice wrote: »
    The thing is you get happier and more content with yourself as you get older.

This is true, I'm 45 and fortunately for me my only serious wrinkles are genuine laughter lines - I laugh a lot and I think it's the best anti-ageing formula there is.

My big problem with age is the difficulty I have losing weight - mainly round the tummy area :confused:

The other real issue is the noise in pubs! I'm not against noisy pubs but I find I just cant separate individual conversations from the background noise anymore. I'll soon be like old Aunt Agatha with an Ear Trumpet...

Advertisement