Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round 16: Japanese Grand Prix

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Delighted with the result for Vettel.
    Drive of the day goes to Kobayashi for sure,hes gained a lot of fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Exact same points could be made about Hamilton to be fair...He's been unlucky in some of the pole - finish races and has made some massive mistakes in others (just like the former driver).

All I want to see is Kobayashi in a quick car :D

In fairness Hamilton can overtake if the McLaren is competetive. There's been plenty of races where he'd make a great charge. Vettel is only good when he's out in front or overtaking back markers. Pity that damn 3rd gear broke, next step was Alonso - now that would have been interesting :cool:

Edit - Agreed re Kobayashi, very very impressive drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

EnterNow wrote: »

I think hes the best overtaker in the field. Does it race after race. And unlike Japanese drivers of the past doesnt tend to end up in the barrriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

In fairness Hamilton can overtake if the McLaren is competetive. There's been plenty of races where he'd make a great charge. Vettel is only good when he's out in front or overtaking back markers. Pity that damn 3rd gear broke, next step was Alonso - now that would have been interesting :cool:

I don't think he would have passed Alonso (safely). The car just wasn't fast enough to do it without having to take a big risk. He would definitely have gotten to within 1 second and then Alonso's dirty air would have made it difficult for him to progress further. Alonso is a great defensive driver too.

In fairness I am struggling to think of many great charges from Vettel. Now I am sure there have been some but I cant think of any off the top of my head.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    To be fair he does hit quite a few people and has ended up in the barriers on a number of occasions.

He has finished 8 of the 16 races.

Of the 8 retirements only 3 were for crashes. 2 of which were his fault. Singapore and Canada

That's actually pretty good going

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    I don't think he would have passed Alonso (safely). The car just wasn't fast enough to do it without having to take a big risk. He would definitely have gotten to within 1 second and then Alonso's dirty air would have made it difficult for him to progress further. Alonso is a great defensive driver too.

In fairness I am struggling to think of many great charges from Vettel. Now I am sure there have been some but I cant think of any off the top of my head.

He was catching Alonso at a second a lap nearly. Agreed though re Alonso, he's one tough cookie & won't easily submit a place, even more so if said place is to Hamilton :D. The dirty air would have also played a part but he was catching him at a rate of knots, it would have been a good battle.

What were the odds of two wheels failing in one race? Kubica & Rosberg both lost wheels due to a failure. Did Rosbergs retaining collar let go too, or did it hold on? Schumi was impressive I thought too, I really would love to see him in contention next year. No sign of Karun all weekend either, was he even there?

Thats a 50% finish rate which isnt great, and he gave somebody quite a clatter at the hairpin on Sunday. He was luck to get away with it he is the type of driver that I wouldnt like to see in my rear-view mirrors.

Is that the collision with Alg? In fairness Alg made that a lot worse than it needed to be. Brundle was a bit taken back with his stupidity there, especially after Kobayashi was half a car lenght ahead by the time they hit.

I dont know who it was but he hit somebody with his front right wheel, he dove up the inside. It looked very clumsy and I was suprised his front end held up.

Ah right it could have been an earlier incident so. Brundle did mention he got one overtake a bit wrong, but his other two were very well done. Was prob the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Vettel didn't too bad in a Torro Rosso which wasn't the fastest car out in front. Gave Red Bull their first win in the B team, and put in some good performances.

I think Alonso's 3rd place was secure once Kubica retired.

In fairness its easy for a Red Bull/ McLaren/ Ferrari to come through the field its only when they get to cars with similar performance they struggle.
    Its hardly Vettels fault he has consistently qualified so well and the team has had no ****up's to put him at the back of the grid.

Anyway in Silverstone he was last after the puncture finished 7th in China he dropped down to 14/15th finished 6th

When is the last time Webber charged through the grid? I remember him crashing into Hekki last time he tried. He must not be able to overtake either ;)
    Last year everyone was saying the same about Button, until Brazil.
    He was luck to get away with it he is the type of driver that I wouldnt like to see in my rear-view mirrors.

Yeah but its great when your watching him catch someone :)

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Anyway in Silverstone he was last after the puncture finished 7th in China he dropped down to 14/15th finished 6th

He'd have big issues now if he couldn't get that far up in that car. It's against competetive cars he can't/doesn't charge. Webber & Button have both fallen victim to him this season.

• Advertisement

He'd have big issues now if he couldn't get that far up in that car. It's against competetive cars he can't/doesn't charge. Webber & Button have both fallen victim to him this season.

That's what I said :rolleyes:
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    In fairness its easy for a Red Bull/ McLaren/ Ferrari to come through the field its only when they get to cars with similar performance they struggle.

Yeah he crashed into Button and Webber truing to overtake them so what every driver has crashed into someone at some point.

"If you don't go for the gap, your no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna

Thats a 50% finish rate which isnt great, and he gave somebody quite a clatter at the hairpin on Sunday. He was luck to get away with it he is the type of driver that I wouldnt like to see in my rear-view mirrors.

Yeah but as I pointed out he has only left the race on 2 occasions where it was his fault. Singapore and Canada (Wall of Champions)

He was crashed into once I think and the other 5 were mechanical failures. So while it may be a 50% finish rate it would be unfair to say he was involved in more crashes than other drivers.

I'm not even a huge fan or anything but just giving the facts and figures of it.

Vettel "almost jump started" the japanese grand prix. How can you "almost" Jump start. You do or dont. Hmmm, I think he didnt. Very close though.

https://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25492:f1-video-footage-shows-vettel-almost-jumping-suzuka-formula-1-race-start&catid=1:f1&Itemid=157

• Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Vettel "almost jump started" the japanese grand prix. How can you "almost" Jump start. You do or dont. Hmmm, I think he didnt. Very close though.

https://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25492:f1-video-footage-shows-vettel-almost-jumping-suzuka-formula-1-race-start&catid=1:f1&Itemid=157

I guess the almost part is the small lurch the car makes, not a good start from webber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

frostie500 wrote: »

All very good points. Wheel Retention is always of the utmost importance. Motorsport is a dangerous sport but with wheels flying off you are actually putting the lives of spectators and marshalls in danger as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

frostie500 wrote: »
    Just 11 points separate Webber from Vettel and Alonso so momentum has become the most important commodity in the pitlane. Vettel has that momentum and at the Korean Grand Prix Webber will need to show his “Aussie Grit” as he makes his stand against his rivals.

Its 14 points. ;)
    With the speeds of these cars ever increasing, and therefore the loads exerted on all elements of the car increasing, it is imperative that in future any issue like this is avoided.

I thought the cars speeds have been greatly reduced since the turbo days with the introduction of various safety features?

(Sorry to nit-pick, good article!) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I guess most people heard Crofty and Anthony Davidson's commentary when the main TV commentary cut out. I have to admit, I really liked it. It really made me realise that Brundle is the only reason I listen to the TV commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Great race, (Maybe not up front) Kobayashi must have overtaken 6 cars into the hairpin BANZAI!!! :D (some twice?) Bad form with Algrersuri, bad tempered wheel banging twice after Kumai gave him room. Glad he knocked his own wing off and had to pit LOL.:D

See Petrov got a 5 grid penatly for turning in carelessly into Hulkenburg on the start, Why didnt Massa get a penalty for stupid out of control move(all four wheels on the grass) that wiped out Luitzzi? ???

Oh wait he drives for Ferrari, that explains it. :pac::confused:

FIA needs to hand out penalties no matter which team they race with.

Also does anyone know what Di Grasssi<? was doing on the warmup lap!!!!???, did the car fail or was it massive brain fade?

Also does anyone know what Di Grasssi<? was doing on the warmup lap!!!!???, did the car fail or was it massive brian fade?

Martin Brundle said that he was talking with Massa afterwards and that at 130R with heavy fuel loads the cars were liable for something like this to happen due to the cross winds, it would explain why the team found no trace of mechanical problems and why di Grassi felt he didnt make a mistake.

Maybe Lightening or Ficis could fill us in on what a driver would feel in those circumstances and whether they would think it would feel as if it was their mistake or a mechanical failure?

• Advertisement

Its 14 points. ;)

I thought the cars speeds have been greatly reduced since the turbo days with the introduction of various safety features?

(Sorry to nit-pick, good article!) :p

I always make one glaring mistake that is easily pointed out, raging with myself!

In realtion to the speed differences its worth comparing laptimes around Suzuka(seeing as it was almost unchanged from its first GP in 87 until 2007 to give an indication of the performance increases of the cars)

87-1m40.042
    97-1m36.071
    07-1m25.368

Since then the change to the circuit has slowed Suzuka down quite a bit but using the comparison drawn from other circuits shows us that the performance of cars since 07 to now are quite similar

Looks like the clutch was stuck when he selected the gear resulting in a small lurch forward. My bike dose it every morning when its cold. Nothing like a almost jump start, nonsense story.
    See Petrov got a 5 grid penatly for turning in carelessly into Hulkenburg on the start, Why didnt Massa get a penalty for stupid out of control move(all four wheels on the grass) that wiped out Luitzzi? ???

Oh wait he drives for Ferrari, that explains it. :pac::confused:

FIA needs to hand out penalties no matter which team they race with.

Give it a rest will you, they weren't the same crash so why would the same penalty apply? :rolleyes:

Petrov crashing into Hulk on the straight - avoidable collision.

Massa making an admittedly optimistic move was pushed wide onto the grass by Rosberg couldn't stop and crashed into the Force India - racing incident

I think it showed lack of downforce the Virgin(and probably HRT)have.

Full fuel, wasn't going flat out and just lost it, and got spat off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great video except he missed all the real action at the start and turn one!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I dont think it had anthing to down with a lack of downforce IMO.

Could it be a case similar to what Jacques Villneuve said of Eau Rouge in the late 90s, that it was easy flat out but 10% under it was very difficult because the small drop in speed meant a big drop in aero grip? Add cross-winds and fuel loads and I can see how it happened.

Obviously should never **** up on the out-lap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

All very good points. Wheel Retention is always of the utmost importance. Motorsport is a dangerous sport but with wheels flying off you are actually putting the lives of spectators and marshalls in danger as well.
    Last person to be killed in F1 was a Marshall at Monza in 2000/2001 when a wheel hit him.

Advertisement