Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldest Winter In 1000 Years On the Way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I hope they stock up on salt this time

I found salt useless, grit and salt , sand and salt together. Salt on its own pointless.

There were loads of sandbags left behind after the floods and people were taking the sand and spreading it themselves over there own foot paths.

We took the sand out of the sand pit and used all the salt in the press, the shops had none, i even considered using the salt for the dishwasher as its thicker than table salt.

The salt lowers the melting point of the snow causing it to melt. The grit component improves the friction between a vehicle's tyres and the road. the grit also stops people from slipping.

123balltv wrote: »
    is there any money left for salt?
    salt will be like gold dust when this cold spell hits

Sand!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

so you are saying, this winter will be frostier than last winter, what degrees below 0 do they expect us to get, and when should we expect all this to happen, will it be this side of christmas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Sand!

Yes but salt is the grit ingredient we ran out of last year, not sand. not because we couldn't afford salt it but because it was stored up in advance, some preplanning. its relatively cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

123balltv wrote: »
    is there any money left for salt?
    salt will be like gold dust when this cold spell hits
    Aha, and they told me I was mad for sneaking an extra salt sachet out of supermacs with me fries. Who's mad now! :p

Ah no seriously though, if it does get really cold don't forget to check on any elderly people in the area from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mack81

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Aha, and they told me I was mad for sneaking an extra salt sachet out of supermacs with me fries. Who's mad now! :p

Ah no seriously though, if it does get really cold don't forget to check on any elderly people in the area from time to time.

yeah check to see if they have salt in their cupboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

feck that, can't be doing with another winter or worse than the one we just had, I slipped on the ice, broke my ankle and was house bound for 3 weeks, might just head off to spain for the winter months

knird evol wrote: »
    Yes but salt is the grit ingredient we ran out of last year, not sand. not because we couldn't afford salt it but because it was stored up in advance, some preplanning. its relatively cheap.

Im just saying if we run out of salt again, just to use sand as it stops the slips but doesn't help melt the ice (or compacted snow) like salt does, but you can still get from A to B. In our area just because we had not salt that meant that they weren't even putting sand down. It was a DIY job by nicking sand bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

ARRGGHH!

WE USE GRIT AND MOLASSES IN IRELAND, NOT SALT!

CamperMan wrote: »
    feck that, can't be doing with another winter or worse than the one we just had, I slipped on the ice, broke my ankle and was house bound for 3 weeks, might just head off to spain for the winter months

I loved last winter wish we had more of them. They were like the good old days back in the 80's when we had snow every Xmas/January, we still went to school, parents went to work and we went sledding every day in the local park.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    ARRGGHH!

:eek: molasses, you mean treacle, mmmmm. Snow and treacle cones this xmas. Sure if your stuck on the farm you could have a few molasses and snow cones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Confab wrote: »
    ARRGGHH!

One of the main components in grit is salt.

I think the low paid, angry masses are going to be seriously lacking in motivation to negotiate their way through much snow and ice this winter.

It's going to be a great winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Do their weather records go back 1000 years?
    Have my doubts.

There are ways of telling how cold it was 1000 years ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleoclimatology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I was in Switzerland last x mas and it was -18, it was fantastic a little nippy but with the right clothes wasn't too bad at all. I hope the toy shops start selling sledges, otherwise i will have to take the bonnet of the car.

I was in Prague last year the week before Christmas and it was -22*. I loved it. I didnt have any special clothes on, just a Jacket I bought in Ireland, and a warm hat, and some hunters mittens, and it was grand. It is kind of weird the first time you experience very cold temperatures. Things like the bits of wispy ice that appear in your facial hair from your breath condensing and then freezing.

I love the cold, cant wait for the winter this year! That said I am disappointed to be missing a real winter in Ireland. Last year will be talked about like the big snow of 1982 is talked about(in our house anyway)

*Wasn't trying to better your temperature, just being accurate

I found salt useless, grit and salt , sand and salt together. Salt on its own pointless.

There were loads of sandbags left behind after the floods and people were taking the sand and spreading it themselves over there own foot paths.

We took the sand out of the sand pit and used all the salt in the press, the shops had none, i even considered using the salt for the dishwasher as its thicker than table salt.

The salt lowers the melting point of the snow causing it to melt. The grit component improves the friction between a vehicle's tyres and the road. the grit also stops people from slipping.

Yes and salt on its own, not only is it almost useless, it can actually make it more dangerous, because what happens is, the council spread salt on the road, the ice melts and leaves a flat covering of water on the road, then the council forget to add the sand/grit, and the water re-freezes leaving a perfectly flat layer of ice on the road, effectively turning it into an Ice rink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Were you the chap who slipped on ice in the above video? That would be so cool. Please say you are :)

Are you the lad from the video? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Sand!

Yeah thanks the kids have loads stored away from previous summers
    I hope that poor fella who slipped on the icy pavement carries
    around a bucket of sand just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

TheUsual wrote: »
    You must have missed the whole Global Warming threat.

Do you not recycle ?
    Is you carbon footprint reduced ?

Then why is the Earth getting colder with more human activity... mmmm maybe its all bull****.
    Maybe we're doing too much recycling and we've gone too far in the opposite direction. Damn it!

*goes to burn green wheelie bin*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

*goes to burn green wheelie bin*

Check for cats first:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

phill106 wrote: »
    Were you the chap who slipped on ice in the above video? That would be so cool. Please say you are :)

excellent i like that :D

lets see what the government does this time around
    to sort out the roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Oh fcuking great, last winter was awfull. No bloody water, broken wrist. Who in their right mind likes that weather?.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

ashblag wrote: »
    Oh fcuking great, last winter was awfull. No bloody water, broken wrist. Who in their right mind likes that weather?.

Ease up on the masturbation this winter....:p

yeah but you can go into your office and smack somebody with a snowball - they're completely not expecting it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

phill106 wrote: »

excellent i like that :D

lets see what the government does this time around
    to sort out the roads

I do, but then I may not necessarily be in my right mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its the gulf stream that keeps Ireland's climate temperate.

If you look at a map Ireland is as far north as newfoundland and northern canada and they have severe winters. The reason we dont is because of the warm currents curling up from the gulf of mexico.

If the gulf stream weakens, our winters could get really hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Oh no! :eek: I'm not looking forward to that! I am already getting frozen with the cold these past few nights. Have started to wear my fluffy slippers and warm hoodies! My warm dressing gown isn't warm enough anymore! This is October like! So we expecting to experience a Siberian Winter ahead so!? :(

• Advertisement

theres only one thing to warm you up on these cold winter nights snuggles

Advertisement