Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldest Winter In 1000 Years On the Way

Options
  • 06-10-2010 2:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

Thas right crab your blanket and mitts now, this winter is gonna be a chiller:D
    http://rt.com/prime-time/2010-10-04/coldest-winter-emergency-measures.html
    After the record heat wave this summer, Russia's weather seems to have acquired a taste for the extreme.
    Forecasters say this winter could be the coldest Europe has seen in the last 1,000 years.
    The change is reportedly connected with the speed of the Gulf Stream, which has shrunk in half in just the last couple of years. Polish scientists say that it means the stream will not be able to compensate for the cold from the Arctic winds. According to them, when the stream is completely stopped, a new Ice Age will begin in Europe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Do their weather records go back 1000 years?
    Have my doubts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Pfft, cant be worse than last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

This link is in relation to Russia.....
    I'm no Geologist, but I'm pretty sure the Republic of Ireland isn't Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

FearDark wrote: »
    Pfft, cant be worse than last winter.

Ah you've jinxed it now! We're fcuked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Brendog wrote: »
    This link is in relation to Russia.....
    I'm no Geologist, but I'm pretty sure the Republic of Ireland isn't Russia

No its for all of Europe, also the gulf stream goes just north of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Oh no, I just put the entire heating allowance for the year on Chris the sheep. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

That forecast seems highly speculative and sensationalistic without substantiation,” according to Weather Channel Meteorologist Stu Ostro. I'd take a lot of news out of Russia with a big pinch of salt tbh. With that said, there are a slew of articles from the likes of the Daily Mail last year predicting the start of a mini ice age. Some of the effects of the last one included:
    • Fur trappers reported that southern Hudson Bay remained frozen for about 3 weeks longer each spring.
    • Fishermen reported large amounts of sea ice floating in the North Atlantic.
    • British people saw Eskimos paddling canoes off the coast of England.
    • Alpine (mountain) glaciers grew larger. In some cases, the ice engulfed mountain villages.
    • Winters were longer and growing seasons shorter according to tree ring data and records of cherry tree flowering.
    • Wet weather caused disease that affected people, animals and crops including the bubonic plague (also called the Black Death). This disease killed more than a third of Europeans.
    • Farms and villages in Northern Europe were deserted because the farmers couldn’t grow crops in the cooler climate. During the harshest winters, bread had to be made from the bark of trees because grains would no longer grow.
    • Limited crops and unhealthy livestock caused famine in areas of northern and Eastern Europe. Unlike today, there was no way to transport food around the world to areas where crops had failed and people were hungry.
    • Canals and rivers around Europe were frozen completely for long stretches of time, thats where you get your Dickensian white christmas paintings from.
    • Severe storm systems were recorded, costing Germany and the Netherlands sections of coastline permanently.
    So assuming it does happen, and thats a big assumption, we can expect a lot more rain, storms, the price of heating oil, coal, and gas to increase a lot, as well as food, and various inconveniences like needing snow tyres. People in the midlands and low lying areas should invest in sandbags and dry foods. Not the end of the world by a long shot in the extremely unlikely event that it does turn out to be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

A mini ice-age? Don't ice ages happen every millions of years? I'm sure a "mini" ice-age would happen over tens of thousands of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's Russia Today. Must be true then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

CorkMan wrote: »
    A mini ice-age? Don't ice ages happen every millions of years? I'm sure a "mini" ice-age would happen over tens of thousands of years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    That forecast seems highly speculative and sensationalistic without substantiation,” according to Weather Channel Meteorologist Stu Ostro. I'd take a lot of news out of Russia with a big pinch of salt tbh. With that said, there are a slew of articles from the likes of the Daily Mail last year predicting the start of a mini ice age. Some of the effects of the last one included:

• Fur trappers reported that southern Hudson Bay remained frozen for about 3 weeks longer each spring.
    • Fishermen reported large amounts of sea ice floating in the North Atlantic.
    • British people saw Eskimos paddling canoes off the coast of England. :pac:
    • Alpine (mountain) glaciers grew larger. In some cases, the ice engulfed mountain villages.
    • Winters were longer and growing seasons shorter according to tree ring data and records of cherry tree flowering.
    • Wet weather caused disease that affected people, animals and crops including the bubonic plague (also called the Black Death). This disease killed more than a third of Europeans.
    • Farms and villages in Northern Europe were deserted because the farmers couldn’t grow crops in the cooler climate. During the harshest winters, bread had to be made from the bark of trees because grains would no longer grow.
    • Limited crops and unhealthy livestock caused famine in areas of northern and Eastern Europe. Unlike today, there was no way to transport food around the world to areas where crops had failed and people were hungry.
    • Canals and rivers around Europe were frozen completely for long stretches of time, thats where you get your Dickensian white christmas paintings from.
    • Severe storm systems were recorded, costing Germany and the Netherlands sections of coastline permanently.

So assuming it does happen, and thats a big assumption, we can expect a lot more rain, storms, the price of heating oil, coal, and gas to increase a lot, as well as food, and various inconveniences like needing snow tyres. People in the midlands and low lying areas should invest in sandbags and dry foods. Not the end of the world by a long shot in the extremely unlikely event that it does turn out to be accurate.

Why The Face :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm not crabbing anything! Hmf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

You must have missed the whole Global Warming threat.

Do you not recycle ?
    Is you carbon footprint reduced ?

Then why is the Earth getting colder with more human activity... mmmm maybe its all bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Fucking Hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Anyone want to go halfs on a container ship of road salt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Judging by how cold it is now..
    I'm gonna say, they're completely right.

Time to buy a quattro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

SV wrote: »
    Judging by how cold it is now..
    I'm gonna say, they're completely right.

Time to buy a quattro...

Way ahead of ya.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Like it's really gunna affect you in van diemans land.

Isn't summer on the way in van diemans land

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

TheUsual wrote: »

Do you not recycle ?

Then why is the Earth getting colder with more human activity... mmmm maybe its all bull****.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Doesn't understand climate change or global warming's affect on the gulf stream.

The again, that'd be TheUsual.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Do you not recycle ?

+1 deffo alll bullsh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Obviously this is just a ploy by Smirnoff to increase vodka sales during winter.
    If you've quoted this to make some
    conspiracy theory joke, or to say
    "CT room that way ---->
    You need to be smacked
    with an anti-gullability hammer
    or something lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Do you not recycle ?

I think you're missing it.

It's based on the average global temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Cant wait. I love snow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Pfff, forecasters can only accurately forecast three days ahead, it won't be cold at all..

I forecast it will rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Eh....
    Global warming does not exist, that term is now dismissed my most scientist working on this sh1t.
    The actual term is climate change, did you not see The Day After Tommorow????? We're doomed, doomed it tell you.........

|By the way, i predict it will be the coldest winter in 1003 years, every remembers how cold it was in 1007.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

WTF:pac:

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Naw, Chilli Willi just left the fridge door open again....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Pfff, forecasters can only accurately forecast three days ahead,

No they can't :pac:.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Great, better prepare for a home birth if it's anything like last year :eek::o:pac:

*rips up sheets and boils the kettle* :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

xzanti wrote: »
    Great, better prepare for a home birth...

I was born at home. It's a doozy. :pac:

Advertisement