Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the banks again

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

TelePaul wrote: »
    but if you can't make good on your repayments, you really shouldn't borrow so heavily in the first place.

Unfortunately people who could make good on their repayments are now forking out additional taxes and may be under pressure. That's through no fault of our own, it's because this government chose to force us to pay for those who did borrow beyond their means.

So the interesting thing about "pass the buck" is that the government have passed the buck from the irresponsible to the responsible, and I would nearly suggest that they have created a mentality whereby in the future people will say "sure I may as well, I got screwed the last time paying off other people's loans".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

And as I've also said before, just because you do a shít job, doesn't mean the company stop paying you what you are due by them...

Really ?

So you really believe that if I cost my employer a few hundred million that I could walk into the office and ask for my pension ?

In the real world I would be sued for making a monumental f**k up.

Mistakes happen, and normal mistakes cost maybe a few grand at most, and don't drag a country down with them.

Systemic mistakes are negligence; there is no other word for it. And whatever about his former employers hiring someone incompetent and having a contract, that contract should be out the window based on the bank being insolvent and the culpability of the guy himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Look, at the end of the day the people bitching and moaning about the situation are the ones that are in the absolute shít, so of course they will have a bone to pick. It doesn't matter who you are, it's human nature to want to blame someone else - these people are partially to blame themselves, but it's much much easier to turn around and blame others.
    We're all in this big mess together and the sooner we blame ourselves for incompetence and stupidity then the sooner we can get over the finger pointing and crying and start doing something to fix the situation.

I've never heard a bigger bunch of babies than the people in this country that put themselves in a financially poor position and then want to cry their way out of it. "QQ I have to emigrate." THEN GO and shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

OisinT wrote: »
    We're all in this big mess together .

We're not though are we
    Thats the point, people are losing their jobs and facing emigration, while these bankers, who you have to admit are partly responsible for the mess, are raking it in still.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Really ?

So you really believe that if I cost my employer a few hundred million that I could walk into the office and ask for my pension ?

In the real world I would be sued for making a monumental f**k up.

Mistakes happen, and normal mistakes cost maybe a few grand at most, and don't drag a country down with them.

Systemic mistakes are negligence; there is no other word for it. And whatever about his former employers hiring someone incompetent and having a contract, that contract should be out the window based on the bank being insolvent and the culpability of the guy himself.

Personal feelings don't mean shít when there's contractual obligations.

This Pension fund isn't even something being added to by the Bail Outs... It was paid into while he was working in AIB...

and yes...

I still fail to see the connection here with the OPs OP...
    We're not though are we
    Thats the point, people are losing their jobs and facing emigration, while these bankers, who you have to admit are partly responsible for the mess, are raking it in still.

It was raked in already and is being paid out now due to his retirement...

• Advertisement

We're not though are we
    But the bankers also have houses that are undervalued, they have to pay taxes, their services are being cut, etc.

To point the finger JUST at bankers is irrational. I understand the reaction, but it is still far fetched to think they they are just sitting in ivory towers and feeling no pain. At the end of the day the bankers didn't want this to happen... they didn't go out of their way to fúck up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I've never heard a bigger bunch of babies than the people in this country that put themselves in a financially poor position and then want to cry their way out of it. "QQ I have to emigrate." THEN GO and shut up.

its the bankers themselves who are doing most of the moaning and they are the ones getting bailed out, with obscene amounts of money -

the reality is few of the fat cat bankers will be forced to emigrate unless to luxurious tax havens where a continued lavish lifestyle will be enjoyed with little or no one work, paid for by the good people of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

thebaz wrote: »
    its the bankers themselves who are doing most of the moaning and they are the ones getting bailed out, with obscene amounts of money -

the reality is few of the fat cat bankers will be forced to emigrate unless to luxurious tax havens where a continued lavish lifestyle will be enjoyed with little or no one work, paid for by the good people of Ireland

To blame the bankers in the first place is ridiculous. You would barely get away with apportioning one tenth of the blame to them.

Have a bit of personal responsibility and stop whining like a big gay baby. Under no circumstance can anyone point the finger at anyone retrospectively.

If you didn't know any better back then, you cant complain about it now. What you are entitled to complain about is a lack of action now from policy makers. To complain about a lack of action five years ago is utter nonsense. Get real here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Look, at the end of the day the people bitching and moaning about the situation are the ones that are in the absolute shít, so of course they will have a bone to pick. It doesn't matter who you are, it's human nature to want to blame someone else - these people are partially to blame themselves, but it's much much easier to turn around and blame others.
    We're all in this big mess together and the sooner we blame ourselves for incompetence and stupidity then the sooner we can get over the finger pointing and crying and start doing something to fix the situation.

What a dumb post..
    It's funny from the point of view that you moderate the 'Legal Discussion' forum, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

seven-iron wrote: »
    To blame the bankers in the first place is ridiculous. You would barely get away with apportioning one tenth of the blame to them.

You are sort of correct, in who to blame

1. Bankers: By nature capitalists who saw an oportunity to make money and took it. Cannot blame them for being who they are
    2. Regulator: Definitely asleep at the wheel. To blame largely for banking crisis here unless was under pressure from government not to interfere
    3. Ordinary Joe: Wasnt complaining when property prices were going up and he was making money. Also elected FF into power. To blame for crisis though is a bit much
    4. Government: Elected by the people to run the country, need I say more

• Advertisement

ascanbe wrote: »
    What a dumb post..
    It's funny from the point of view that you moderate the 'Legal Discussion' forum, though.
    Good job explaining why it's a "dumb post" with a logical retort.

Perhaps it's your post which is the dumb one? Or did I just blow your mind?

BTW, the "legal discussion" element of your post makes absolutely no sense. Am I not allowed to have an opinion on anything besides legal matters, or are you trying to say that my post makes no sense legally?

Advertisement