Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the banks again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

I just have a major problem with the banks, they are not lending at all now, and so many of my friends , and me personally, are suffering severely from this recession , and when I see a bank exec get 450,000 a year it makes my blood boil

A bit of green eyed jealousy there. If you want that job you'll have to work hard for it. You need exams too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Re-imbursed?

For what?

I still don't understand what point you are trying to make.

Well you seam to think mr. Sheehy should get re-imbursed , and

read my above post and you might understand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

thebaz wrote: »

He should get reimbursed. He doesn't deserve it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I just have a major problem with the banks, they are not lending at all now, and so many of my friends , and me personally, are suffering severely from this recession , and when I see a bank exec get 450,000 a year it makes my blood boil

Alot of people in life are paid more for their endeavours than they ought to be (cough*public-sector*cough) but that's the way it goes. Eugene Sheehy joined AIB in 1971 and contributed greatly to it's success in the boom times

seven-iron wrote: »
    A bit of green eyed jealousy there. If you want that job you'll have to work hard for it. You need exams too.

are you for real ? exams and hard work ???

if it was the BoI I could understand , maybe , but for overseeing the draining of a banks resources requires a great skill, learnt in a bookie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well you seam to think mr. Sheehy should get re-imbursed

No body that I noticed is being personally re-imursed as a result of bailouts by the government. There's dodgey paper work by some people to avoid declaring bankruptcy... but that's about it.

You mean this post?

There is no point to it...

Banks are lending but they are being more selective of who they lend to and the amounts they lend out.

They are doing it right now... well... that seem's right to me...

Oh, you want to be a victim, is that it?

You want to be a victim because of someone else's high pension payouts... and your what?

...blood boiling?

TelePaul wrote: »
    Alot of people in life are paid more for their endeavours than they ought to be (cough*public-sector*cough) but that's the way it goes. Eugene Sheehy joined AIB in 1971 and contributed greatly to it's success in the boom times

Eugene Sheehy made a valuable contribution ?

welll wheres all the money in the bank , he oversaw the policy , and is respobile for the banks results .... there are many good people in the public sctor, and most have not inflicted the pain of these fat cats

if it was the BoI I could understand , maybe , but for overseeing the draining of a banks resources requires a great skill, learnt in a bookie

Not being funny here, but do you know how finance works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

You do relise that a lot of these guys would actually have the neck to sue for the money in their contracts if an attempt was made to block it which would be illegal anyway.

I would've thought that at least some of them would have the decency to just walk away from the golden handshakes given the public anger... but that aint happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

Yeah you know what I mean. In fairness to him he had to push for all those re-mortgages when BoI and IL&P were making such large profits. Shareholders like you and me would have been angry if profits and share prices were continually lower than the other banks.

• Advertisement

N

Banks are lending but they are being more selective of who they lend to and the amounts they lend out.

They are doing it right now... well... that seem's right to me...

Oh, you want to be a victim, is that it?

You want to be a victim because of someone else's high pension payouts... and your what?

...blood boiling?

no they have gone to one extreme to the other , and the economy is being strangled, and less of the victim ****e Mr. Dravokivich

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

no they have gone to one extreme to the other , and the economy is being strangled, and less of the victim ****e Mr. Dravokivich

An economy that was based on credit that didn't exist?

You are seriously just going to blame the Banks for that and then get annoyed because someone has a high pension payout?

Eugene Sheehy made a valuable contribution?

Yes. If you don't believe me, pull AIB's P&L account's from 2001 onwards.
    welll wheres all the money in the bank

As before, it was lent to people who found themselves unable to repay it.
    he oversaw the policy , and is respobile for the banks results

And was paid a salary for his efforts. You mightn't like it, but unless you sat on AIB's Board of Directors or held significant voting rights, you wouldn't have had any say in this matter.

.... there are many good people in the public sctor, and most have not inflicted the pain of these fat cats

Not going to open this Public vs Private can of worms, but there are many good people working in banking too. To say otherwise is just nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Let me see if I have got this right, you criticise the banks for lending too much one minute, creating the "mess we are in" as you put it. Now you criticise them for not lending enough. My blood boils from reading these inane posts.

Let me see if I have got this right, you criticise the banks for lending too much one minute, creating the "mess we are in" as you put it. Now you criticise them for not lending enough. My blood boils from reading these inane posts.

ever hear of middle ground or balance ??

Not being funny here, but do you know how finance works?

well obviously the ex-heads of the banks don;t

you are obviouskly an expert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Enlighten me.

last post on this - well done to Mr, sheehy, Fitzpatrick and Fingleton on a job well done

thank you so much for making this country such a wonderfull place, that you all seam to be enjoying so much

good bye

I think what they are trying to do now is balance...

But what does that have to do with this blokes pension?

well obviously the ex-heads of the banks don;t

you are obviouskly an expert

I think it's becoming increasingly 'obviousk' that I know a bit more than yourself.

*Bows out*

• Advertisement

last post on this - well done to Mr, sheehy, Fitzpatrick and Fingleton on a job well done

thank you so much for making this country such a wonderfull place, that you all seam to be enjoying so much

good bye

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

sorry .. but the cess pit of AIB, Anglo and Nationwide just gets worse

this time its the AIB , the bank owned by you and me, is paying out a yearly pension to ex Chief and the man who broke it

"Sheehy was paid millions during his three-year reign and left AIB with an almost €900,000 payout and a pension of around €450,000 a year."

As an owner , or so I'm led to believe , I demand this is stopped immediatly and pay him state pension of 196 a week or what everyone else gets - 450,000 in this day in age is disgusting, for a man who created the mess we are all in

Why is is that just because the banks are ****ed, every ****ing tool in the country is spouting nonsense like this.

Why is is that just because the banks are ****ed, every ****ing tool in the country is spouting nonsense like this.

It's easier to blame other people for life's misfortunes. Fun too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

sorry .. but the cess pit of AIB, Anglo and Nationwide just gets worse

this time its the AIB , the bank owned by you and me, is paying out a yearly pension to ex Chief and the man who broke it

"Sheehy was paid millions during his three-year reign and left AIB with an almost €900,000 payout and a pension of around €450,000 a year."

As an owner , or so I'm led to believe , I demand this is stopped immediatly and pay him state pension of 196 a week or what everyone else gets - 450,000 in this day in age is disgusting, for a man who created the mess we are all in

lol no he didn't

i fail to see whats nonsense , looks like everyone here thinks the banks performed well and derserve rich rewards - my question is how comes most of them are broke if they performed so well ?

- they nearly broke the country and most here seam to think they did well - thats AH i guess

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

You can't blame the banks for irresponsible lending without blaming the people for irresponsible borrowing. Irish society reached a point whereby hairdressers and taxi-drivers fancied themselves as millionaire property moguls. Society does not function in this manner. Eugene Sheehy was appointed MD in 2001, eight years before the banking crisis. No reason to blame him for anything really.

People couldn't have taken out those huge loans if lending institutions had had more sense than greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

The whole thing yeah...

But this guy's pension payout is a non-issue. If we weren't in this mess now, he'd still be getting the same pension... would you have an issue with it then?

Anyone hung up on the wages / bonus' people receive from doing their jobs is missing the bleeding point...

It was the same arguement with Thomas Cook... "Oh our boss is getting loads of money, why should they be closing our office down.. look how much money he's making"

Get off of it...

But we are 'in this mess now'...
    And the wages/bonuses these people recieve are of concern to people; the government are pumping huge sums of taxpayer's money into the these banks. They have been de-facto nationalised.
    For some strange reason, our government have given the banks everything they want, while demanding little in the way of change.
    What has Thomas Cooks got to do with it; were they bailed out/saved by the taxpayer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

You wont find a whole lot of support in here OP. Many still think the banks are fine institutions and we need them to get out of this mess. That may be true, but people are missing the point, surely we have a moral obligation, if not a legal one, to say that this behaviour is not right. To award people bonuses for failure is such a contradiction in terms

i fail to see whats nonsense , looks like everyone here thinks the banks performed well and derserve rich rewards - my question is how comes most of them are broke if they performed so well ?

- they nearly broke the country and most here seam to think they did well - thats AH i guess

Emm no, we know there's problems with the banks, we accept there's issue's with the way they provided credit that didn't exist...

Along with a few here, I just don't see the point on highlighting the pension payout of 1 individual that worked in a bank that had been bailed out by the Government.

• Advertisement

ascanbe wrote: »
    But we are 'in this mess now'...
    And the wages/bonuses these people recieve are of concern to people; the government are pumping huge sums of taxpayer's money into the these banks. They have been de-facto nationalised.
    For some strange reason, our government have given the banks everything they want, while demanding little in the way of change.
    What has Thomas Cooks got to do with it; were they bailed out/saved by the taxpayer?

My Thomas Cook reference was to show that when people get fussed over big wages / bonus payouts to company execs, they are actually missing the point on what the problem is...

The wage structure within the Banks should not be an issue at all. The lending policies and how these businesses operated comercially is what needs to be addressed.

Advertisement