Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student kills self after web cam'ed with male lover

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Did anyone else get an image of Harold and Kumar? Going by the quote from one of the 'perps', they seem to have been doing it as a joke. Seriously, who would have thought the victim would throw himself off a bridge?

It was an awful thing to do, but we all know that some people take jokes very bad. For others, it's water off a 'proverbial' ducks back.

Besides, I can't see someone being found out to be gay, being such a big deal these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Did anyone else get an image of Harold and Kumar? Going by the quote from one of the 'perps', they seem to have been doing it as a joke. Seriously, who would have thought the victim would throw himself off a bridge?

It was an awful thing to do, but we all know that some people take jokes very bad. For others, it's water off a 'proverbial' ducks back.

Besides, I can't see someone being found out to be gay, being such a big deal these days.

Firstly, videotaping someone having sex without their permission is not a joke, it's nasty and illegal.

Secondly, I'd like to meet people that would take having a video of themselves having sex being put on the internet "well".

Thirdly, being gay is not as easy as some people on this site seem to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

It's getting hard to say this, but I think collectively we have to face up to the fact that we, as a society, need strong, unambiguous legislation to cover bullying of all kinds whether in school, the work place, or in general.

We also need to enshrine the individuals right to privacy, and have a clear set of penalties for it's infringement which would act as a deterrent to publishing or distributing media which you should already (morally) know that you shouldn't.

While I know this case took place in the US, it's just as relevant here. Sooner or later we'll be dealing with similar cases with the unprecedented and unregulated access to media and the technology to distribute it, even video files, in seconds.

This was a disgusting case, and thankfully they are looking at it from the perspective of a hate crime against someone of a different sexual orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Firstly, videotaping someone having sex without their permission is not a joke, it's nasty and illegal.

Secondly, I'd like to meet people that would take having a video of themselves having sex being put on the internet "well".

Thirdly, being gay is not as easy as some people on this site seem to think.

Neither is been heterosexual, asexual or whatever!...life is quite complicated for everyone no matter the circumstances.

The major issue here is privacy.....absolutely nothing to do with with his sexual orientation.... the internet is awash of sex tapes of people that ordinarily will like to keep the act private. I think it is a chance for the judiciary in the US to nip this in the bud and set an example for prospective offenders.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Neither is been heterosexual, asexual or whatever!...life is quite complicated for everyone no matter the circumstances.

The major issue here is privacy.....absolutely nothing to do with with his sexual orientation.... the internet is awash of sex tapes of people that ordinarily will like to keep the act private. I think it is a chance for the judiciary in the US to nip this in the bud and set an example for prospective offenders.

When did you last get verbal abuse for being straight ?

moving along...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

ILA wrote: »
    This was a disgusting case, and thankfully they are looking at it from the perspective of a hate crime against someone of a different sexual orientation.

It is not a hate crime. It is a violation of someone's privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Kasabian wrote: »
    Your right I was referring to that old doozie * Guns don't kill people. people kill people"

Guns don't kill people, people do.' But I think that the gun helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Morlar wrote: »

In fairness, neither of you knows the specifics of the case and the motivations behind the internet posting so you can't really say either way.

Millicent wrote: »
    In fairness, neither of you knows the specifics of the case and the motivations behind the internet posting so you can't really say either way.

It's not a matter of 'saying either way' - it's a matter of the assumption that it is a hate crime. That is an unaccountable leap in logic & therefore not of equal likelihood.

It's not a matter of 'saying either way' - it's a matter of the assumption that it is a hate crime. That is an unaccountable leap in logic & therefore not of equal likelihood.

The bolded part was my point. As to the second part, you know no more about the motivations than the other poster so neither of you can say with authority whether it was a hate-motivated crime or not.

• Advertisement

neither of you can say with authority whether it was a hate-motivated crime or not.

Asserting that it was a hate crime without evidence is a flimsy proposition.

Saying that 'without evidence we should not assume it was a hate crime' is Not a flimsy proposition.

Those 2 viewpoints are not equal.

Asserting that it was a hate crime without evidence is a flimsy proposition.

Saying that 'without evidence we should not assume it was a hate crime' is Not a flimsy proposition.

Those 2 viewpoints are not equal.

I think maybe we have our wires crossed here! I agree that you can't say it is a hate crime without knowing the facts. However, you said it wasn't a hate crime. My point was that, without knowing the full facts of the case, neither assertion can be comfortably made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

if only i gave a shit about something that some dude did to himself somewhere ive never been or plan on going

Sheeps wrote: »
    if only i gave a shit about something that some dude did to himself somewhere ive never been or plan on going

Not a fan of news then, no?

Should probably stay away from books and films too. :D :P

some moron jumping off a bridge because he was humiliated is not news sorry

My point was that, without knowing the full facts of the case, neither assertion can be comfortably made.

You are wrong. It is not an assertion to say 'there is no evidence this was a hate crime'.

That is simply the facts of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I'm guessing that Dharun Ravi and Molly Wei will live out the rest of their lives in fear... something I cannot say I'm that sorry about.

With any luck at all they will, until they're 90.

This particular moron was gay so obviously it's a hate crime and therefore more newsworthy.

You are wrong. It is not an assertion to say 'there is no evidence this was a hate crime'.

That is simply the facts of the matter.

That's not what you said though. If you had have phrased it like you did the second time, I wouldn't have said a word. So I am not wrong. I was responding to your first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

There speaks the soul of humanity.

• Advertisement

This particular moron was gay so obviously it's a hate crime and therefore more newsworthy.

There are issues of voyeurism, internet privacy, homosexual stigmatisation -- both personal and perceived --, the possible beginnings of a suicide trend, the utilisation of a social media site for a suicide note, depression, and the ending of a young and promising life. I'd call that newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Why was he filming his friend?

On Sept. 19, Ravi appears to tweet, "Roommate asked for the room till midnight. I went into molly's room and turned on my webcam. I saw him making out with a dude. Yay."

Ravi faces two additional counts of invasion of privacy for allegedly attempting to use the camera to view and transmit another sexual encounter involving the same student just two days later, said Kaplan.

I think hate could be considered a motive if he planned to film him again
    and get more evidence of his homosexuality on tape, what other reason
    would there be for a) publicizing his friends homosexual encounter and
    b) planning to do it again to publicize it?

lmao i assume this post is being sarcastic?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The saddest thing is that we still live in a world where who you jump into bed with is sufficiently humilitiating that this man felt he would rather not live on.

If it had been a woman, all the jocks would have been slapping him on the back and cracking open another beer. :(

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Americangirl1

You should see the news in America about this story. They haven't talked about anything else. I personally don't like watching the news sometimes, the only thing that get recognition is the bad stuff, not the other WONDERFUL things or people that is going on in this world. And if it is something about someone doing anything nice, it almost always ends with someone freaking dying at the end.

Uhhh I think I shall lock my self away in a room and watch disney movies for a day and come out smiling. I'll make sure to leave Bambi off the list too, :P

P.S. terrible what happened to this guy, I think the people that did it will suffer not only by law, but hate or disgust from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

All of the coverage of this seems to focus on the fact that this was done via the dastardly internet, in a particularly mean-spirited bit of pranking, between a couple of lads.

Lookit, the problem is not that the kid was outed, or that the kid was outed in an unusually horrible way. The problem is that after he'd been outed, the kid could not imagine a future as an openly gay man. In the 21st century, in the first world, an educated lad could not imagine a future as an openly gay man. That's shameful and damning, and it implicates the entire society around him. Not the internet, not just his flatmate, not the big bad old bigots we're all waiting on to f*ck off and die; the entire society around him.

That's a much more terrible and pervasive problem than just a bunch of kids pranking each other, and it seems bizarre to me how little that is being discussed in the media. This isn't just a case of one kid acting like a douche to his roomie, as it's being painted - it's about how our society treats kids like Tyler Clementi every day. It's something I can't get my head around; how people of my generation and cultural ecosystem can look at this story and stories like it, recognise how awful it is, and then continue to casually bandy around gay slurs in unrelated conversation, as if there's no possible relationship between one thing and the other.

So I guess the moral of the story is that the next time anyone wants to call something gay because it's crap, or call somebody a f*ggot because they're a loser, they should have to think about how hopeless and alone that they, personally, helped make that kid feel before he jumped off a bridge to a cold painful death in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

And as for the "gays are fine so long as they aren't actually gay" crowd, and the spineless yahoos trying to tell us with a straight face that hey, they're cool with gays, it's just that God thinks they're abnormal abberations who just choose to be like that because it's so easy and awesome, you guys might as well have been cheering him on when he stepped off the edge.

I'd like to think you have the wit to someday realise how grotesquely complicit you are in this and every other death like it, but I won't hold my damn breath in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The problem is that after he'd been outed, the kid could not imagine a future as an openly gay man. In the 21st century, in the first world, an educated lad could not imagine a future as an openly gay man. That's shameful and damning, and it implicates the entire society around him.

Given the countless number of openly gay men and women out and about in the world today I'd say it implicates him and possible his family/circle of friends far moreso than the entire society tbh. I'd hazard a guess that this was causing him more issues than it would have caused others to know.
    And as for the "gays are fine so long as they aren't actually gay" crowd, and the spineless yahoos trying to tell us with a straight face that hey, they're cool with gays, it's just that God thinks they're abnormal abberations who just choose to be like that because it's so easy and awesome, you guys might as well have been cheering him on when he stepped off the edge..

Who has mentioned God on this thread? I've looked but seems the first person to bring God/religion into this topic is you....

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Stinger for him

• Advertisement
Advertisement