Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student kills self after web cam'ed with male lover

Options
  • 29-09-2010 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭

Stupid, bloody wasters! I hope they get the maximum jail time if it is proved that they did this. It might serve to make others take notice.

Victim of secret dorm sex tap commits suicide
    A Rutgers University freshman posted a goodbye message on his Facebook page before jumping to his death after his roommate secretly filmed him during a "sexual encounter" in his dorm room and posted it live on the Internet.

Items belonging to 18-year-old Rutgers student Tyler Clementi were found by the George Washington Bridge last week, according to authorities. Clementi's freshman ID card and driver's license were in the wallet.

Clementi's post on his Facebook page, dated Sept. 22 at 8:42 p.m. read, "Jumping off the gw bridge sorry."

Clementi's body has not been recovered, but police have pulled an unidentified male body from the Hudson River just north of the bridge.

Paul Mainardi, the attorney representing the Clementi family, released a statement confirming Clementi's suicide.

"Tyler was a fine young man, and a distinguished musician. The family is heartbroken beyond words. They respectfully request that they be given time to grieve their great loss and that their privacy at this painful time be respected by all," Mainardi said.

Two students, Dharun Ravi and Molly Wei, have been charged with two counts each of invasion of privacy after allegedly placing a camera in Clementi's room and livestreaming the recording online on Sept. 19, according to a written statement by New Jersey's Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan.

A Twitter page that appears to have been operated by Ravi but has since been taken offline shows messages in which the accused student takes credit for the alleged videotaping of Clementi.

On Sept. 19, Ravi appears to tweet, "Roommate asked for the room till midnight. I went into molly's room and turned on my webcam. I saw him making out with a dude. Yay."

Ravi faces two additional counts of invasion of privacy for allegedly attempting to use the camera to view and transmit another sexual encounter involving the same student just two days later, said Kaplan.

Wei has been released on her own recognizance and Ravi posted $25,000 bail.

Under New Jersey's invasion-of-privacy statutes, it is a fourth degree crime to collect or view images depicting nudity or sexual contact involving another individual without that person's consent, and it is a third degree crime to transmit or distribute such images. The penalty for conviction of a third degree offense can include a prison term of up to five years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

well this thread was much more depressing and less funny than i thought it would be. poor guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sad, very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I this a prank gone wrong or did they intentionally seek to shame and humiliate they guy? Either way it is a crass and nasty thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

No, allegedly they did it on purpose and tried to repeat it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

The Internet causes another death , it's getting as bad as guns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

No, allegedly they did it on purpose and tried to repeat it as well.

Did he come back to life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Kasabian wrote: »

The internet didnt kill him - little ****es who liked humiliating people did :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

slap no wound yes

Did he come back to life?

No, the first taping took place on the 19/9 and the second on the 21/9. He must have heard about it around then because he commited suicide on the 22/9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

KeithM89 wrote: »
    The internet didnt kill him - little ****es who liked humiliating people did :mad:

Your right I was referring to that old doozie * Guns don't kill people. people kill people"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Fecking muppets. Dunno why people get kicks out of humiliating others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

In before the "what a selfish man he is rabble rabble rabble"

Poor fella R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've said it before - a few times - but holy fuck I'm glad there was no net when I was in college, flat-sharing and especially school.

Unfortunately it's one of those horrible cases where the accused are guilty of little more than being dimwits: only that the stupidity had terrible repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Fecking muppets. Dunno why people get kicks out of humiliating others.

Some people just get a kick out of having a laugh at other peoples expense. Happens all the time I suppose be it in real life or even on silly internet forums.

Personally, I'd never carry on like that . It's low life and takes a special sort of d1ckhead to laugh at someone elses misery:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

imagine bein slapped by a slapper :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

I'm guessing that Dharun Ravi and Molly Wei will live out the rest of their lives in fear... something I cannot say I'm that sorry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Really sad.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Maximum jail term? Life behind bars? A bit of an over reaction to say the least OP.

I think he had other options than jumping off a bridge.

Prank gone bad.

Maximum jail term? Life behind bars? A bit of an over reaction to say the least OP.

I think he had other options than jumping off a bridge.

Prank gone bad.

No, not an over reaction. The maximum jail term for one of the offences they committed is five years.

Somebody in the state of mind to commit suicide doesn't really think about other options except to dismiss them. I know when I was a teen and the **** hit the fan for what, looking back, were minor reasons but enough to humiliate me I would think that the only way out was to convince my parents to do a moonlight flit to another country where I wouldn't have to face people. Sadly, it was never an option so I had to bite the bullet and brave it out.

For this poor lad maybe it wasn't just realising that half the people he knew had been watching his sexual encounter as it happened but also that it was a same sex encounter and that may have been something that he had not come out about yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Kasabian wrote: »

Guns don't kill people, the internet does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

KeithM89 wrote: »

He killed himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

No, not an over reaction. The maximum jail term for one of the offences they committed is five years.

Somebody in the state of mind to commit suicide doesn't really think about other options except to dismiss them. I know when I was a teen and the **** hit the fan for what, looking back, were minor reasons but enough to humiliate me I would think that the only way out was to convince my parents to do a moonlight flit to another country where I wouldn't have to face people. Sadly, it was never an option so I had to bite the bullet and brave it out.

For this poor lad maybe it wasn't just realising that half the people he knew had been watching his sexual encounter as it happened but also that it was a same sex encounter and that may have been something that he had not come out about yet.

Aha, slightly different, but I still wouldn't think they deserve jail for it. If they decided to do this to let everyone know about his sexuality, to humiliate him, bully him etc etc, then it's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Link
    Mr Clementi, a first-year student at Rutgers University, New Jersey, and a talented violinist, updated his Facebook page minutes earlier, telling his friends: “Jumping off the gw bridge sorry.”

Imagine being one of his friends. :eek:

I dunno how I would react if a similar position (no pun intended), but would you kill yourself like this man did? Just picture it, caught on web cam, broadcasted through the internet to friends and maybe family. Add in the fact he was probably in the closet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

That's shocking, he's died twice now.:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If he really wanted to end it he should have gone postal and taken the pricks who filmed him down with him.

Some may know my views on Homosexuality from previous threads here however being filmed having sex (regardless of the orientation) while maybe embarrassing to some is not something to go kill yourself over.

The assholes that did this should be punished yes, however they did not cause his death, he killed himself and it is a very sad state of affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

galwayrush wrote: »
    That's shocking, he's died twice now.:eek:

Morto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Wow...if only someone had posted this before !!!

Oh wait ....they did.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056047124

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Wow...if only someone had posted this before !!!

Oh wait ....they did.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056047124

I didn't know that but in fairness I was hoping to make this topic into 'What would you do in that situation' kinda thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Stinicker wrote: »
    If he really wanted to end it he should have gone postal and taken the pricks who filmed him down with him.

Some may know my views on Homosexuality from previous threads here however being filmed having sex (regardless of the orientation) while maybe embarrassing to some is not something to go kill yourself over.

The assholes that did this should be punished yes, however they did not cause his death, he killed himself and it is a very sad state of affairs.

Is it you who ranks it just below the plays the of Henrik Ibsen on your list of favourite things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Gay student kills himself after being secretly filmed having sex with another man without consent by two other students, this film was broadcast onto the internet!

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11446034
    A New Jersey college student has leapt to his death a day after authorities said two students secretly filmed him having sex with a man and broadcast it over the internet.

The guy was in the closet and when he found out that his secret sex act was recorded and broadcast by his friends, he jumped off a bridge!

Crazy!

Advertisement