Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An accurately representation of some Irish women?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I read this thread before I watched the video, after reading the horror and disgust by some posters I decided to have a look and see the disgraceful behaviour of modern Irish women for myself.

you people are just beyond retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

Seriously. Yeah, women screeching over each other at the top of their voices in the back of a taxi would probably do my head in but there's nothing in the ad that strikes me as there being anything wrong with these women. A few girls out for a night out and a dance, back home for a natter and a brew. And some toast with Low Low/plastic spread of course.

It beats an ad where a load of narcissistic, rude women are seen being abusive to men who try to talk to them, puking outside the nightclub before falling down drunk and flashing their knickers, proceeding to the kebab shop where they pick up a doner and a man to go home and have unprotected sex with. Actually... now that I think about it... that would be an AWESOME ad for butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

i'd say it fairly well represents the girls night out for women between 23-30...

17/18-23 however... like that but more puke, tears, fights and instead of them all sitting round post night club they'd all be away riding a young fella they met that night...

I used to be a bouncer in a late night club - one that stayed open after the other ones closed so i seen it all.

also seen the fellas that didn't get taken home usually kicked the shíte out of each other.

nice country.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Could be that these women are childhood friends and are all staying over in one of the girls houses for the night after not being together for ages, for a night out on the town. They're probably mostly married / in relationships so that would explain why there's "not a fella in sight", as another poster said.

It's also probably the first time some of them have been out dancing in a long time or have gotten a break from the kids, so aren't they allowed to have a giggle and let their hair down?

For those of you who say they're too old to be carrying on like that, well, the clue is in Kim Wilde's "Kids in America" playing in the background. It would suggest to me that it's one of those 80's clubs that are popping up, and if a bunch of thirtysomethings aren't entilted to go to an 80's club, then I don't know who is...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Haha, I knew this thread would spiral into a mini rant :D

The real reason I posted it is because myself and my girlfriend (not Irish) hang around with a group of couples around the 27/33 age group and I've known all of them years before I meet my current partner but I'm really starting to resent the women in the group as most of them act like those girls in that butter ad and are beyond annoying.

Just abit of insight: the guys are really laid back and ago with the flow at the weekend but the girls have a tenancy of making "non-male" girlie activities like getting dressed up and watching Sex & the City in the cinema and going away to Spa resorts for the weekend which is fine, know one has a problem with that.

The problems always arise when someone (usually me) suggest that the lads go over to Liverpool for a lads weekend and catch abit of footie. These suggestions usually get shot down instantly by the girls but I keep pushing trying to get them to do male only things and the girls don't seem to like it. My girlfriend is cool with me doing stuff without her, I went to Madrid with some guys from work in August and she went back to her home country for two weeks but some of the Irish girls questioned her on my trip :rolleyes:

So in a nutshell when I saw this ad I pictured all of my mates hypocritical girlfriends screaming and laughing and generally actually like 17 year olds and I saw red! So sorry if I offended anyone reading this, I just needed to vent and see if I was the only one too noticed this sort of incredibly annoying behaviour in the thirtysomething lady folk :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Have you considered professional help? Seriously.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Of course it's not accurate. However, if the "We're really nosh" bird was mine, I'd drown her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I read this thread before I watched the video, after reading the horror and disgust by some posters I decided to have a look and see the disgraceful behaviour of modern Irish women for myself.
    you people are just beyond retarded.
    If you cant be civilised wìth your replies then dont bother posting here at all.Calling people retarded is not on,you are on boards long enough to know that doesnt fly.Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

To me it looks like four girls out on the town having a girly night out ,...whats wrong with that,, ok i dont want to upset anyone but I think if men think that think these women are loud and obnoxious then they are perhaps very insecure, these women arent out on the pull they dont want/need a man for whatever reason they are happy independant women enjoying each others compay and maybe this bruises some men's ego's as they arent desperatley trying to be chatted up all night they are too busy having a good time to worry about which man is checking them out ect, I know when im out with my girlfriends all I want to do is dance have fun and let my hair down and not worry who's checking me out, and if this ad represents Irish women then I am most certainly very proud to be a totally indepent Irish women wheither some men like it or not :)

Have you ever read the last chapter of Ulysses? It reads exactly like this paragraph...which Joyce intended. He was quite accurate in that women think without punctuation.:pac:

EG

"and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Raekwon wrote: »
    Okay I'm obviously painting in broad stokes here but when I first seen this ad I was stuck at how accurate it represented some Irish women in their late 20's/early 30's; clannish mentality, loud and obnoxious, probably very unapproachable & all going home together, most likely for a bitch and gossip session..........and not a man insight for the whole evening.

Emm so what, women can't go out and have a good time on their own without wanting a penis?

Incase you didn't notice when people are out having a good time with their friends and drinking they are generally a little bit loud and stick together.

You want to talk about loud and obnoxious? Try being a woman walking down Shop Street at 11pm on a Saturday night...

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »

Yes, it was with the mod of Weddings, Marriage & Civil Partnership, it wasn't very professional or helpful :rolleyes:

Yes, it was with the mod of Weddings, Marriage & Civil Partnership, it wasn't very professional or helpful :rolleyes:

Well that makes the kind of sense that doesn't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just because he happens to disagree with your experience hardly requires him to seek professional help, does it? Plus his topic asks is this a representation of some Irish women. IME yes it is. Big deal, no sweat of my brow. Whatever floats your boat and all that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Just because he happens to disagree with your experience hardly requires him to seek professional help, does it? Plus his topic asks is this a representation of some Irish women. IME yes it is. Big deal, no sweat of my brow. Whatever floats your boat and all that.

In fairness, the old OP is really reaching into the ad to tie it back to people he doesn't like in real life, that's really why the thread was started.

Wibbs what experience of mine do you think I and the OP disagree on? The OP basically wrote up a fairly misogynistic rant about an admittedly annoying but completely harmless advert because his friends have a different type of relationship to him. He seems to have a problem with women going out on their own without men. Which to be very honest is something that very possibly could require professional help because he will have problems fitting into modern society with those types of issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

100 per cent accurate representation of bogger women yeah, the type that go home on weekends from the big smoke to play their local GAA match and only frequent Coppers or Flanneries. I wouldn´t say it´s representative of Dublin women though.
    Captures the pack mentality well, going out with their "girlies" to take turns cockblocking. Zero self esteem and zero individuality. I´d rather take a lifelong vow of celebacy than so much as glance at one of these dullards in a club tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Captures the pack mentality well, going out with their "girlies" to take turns cockblocking. Zero self esteem and zero individuality. I´d rather take a lifelong vow of celebacy than so much as glance at one of these dullards in a club tbh.

Ever think that they're cockblocking because none of them are interested in men at that time and just want to enjoy a few drinks and dancing with their friends? So if a girl goes out to have fun with a group of girlfriends and dresses nicely she has zero self esteem and zero individuality?

Wow...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In fairness, the old OP is really reaching into the ad to tie it back to people he doesn't like in real life, that's really why the thread was started.
    Ah yea I get that LF. He's said so himself, but that hardly leads on the conclusion that he's a borderline mentallist, who may have trouble fitting into "modern society" without a session with Dr Freud and his trusty couch.
    He seems to have a problem with women going out on their own without men.
    Eh no, read what he actually wrote, not what you may want to see. His point outlined in his post before your input on his possible mentalism, was not that he had an issue with women going out without men as such, more that some women he knows do same, but then get into a strop if their partners go out themselves. This ad(which we all seem to find irritating) just triggered that idea.
    Which to be very honest is something that very possibly could require professional help because he will have problems fitting into modern society with those types of issues.
    Oh for god's sake and with respect talk about an over reaction. Very possibly/could need Professional help with his issues? Jesus, he had a mini rant. Big deal. He also appears to have a woman in his life that suits him and him her. Also appears to have enough of a career and money is his pocket to swan off to Madrid, or over to see footballists kick a ball around. So he seems to be "fitting in to modern society" fine ta very much. Time for me to start a thread about an all too common phenomenon of "ohh this opinion upsets/rankles/doesnt compute for me, therefore the person must need counseling you know". And if you're looking for misogyny or skewed musings on the nature of "Irish women" on this thread the OP is way down the list to boot.
    100 per cent accurate representation of bogger women yeah, the type that go home on weekends from the big smoke to play their local GAA match and only frequent Coppers or Flanneries. I wouldn´t say it´s representative of Dublin women though.
    100% accurate? Eh hardly. I've seen or not seen this stuff all over Ireland and abroad too BTW. Bunch of women go out for a girly night to let their hair down and aren't looking to be clumsily approached by some guy 6 pints of Hino in. Don't see any cockblocking goin on in that scenario.
    Flojo wrote:
    Ever think that they're cockblocking because none of them are interested in men at that time and just want to enjoy a few drinks and dancing with their friends? So if a girl goes out to have fun with a group of girlfriends and dresses nicely she has zero self esteem and zero individuality?

Wow...
    Plus one on this. A common enough mistake from quite a few blokes Ive seen often enough of a night out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Jessica-Rabbit

The Agogo wrote: »
    Have you ever read the last chapter of Ulysses? It reads exactly like this paragraph...which Joyce intended. He was quite accurate in that women think without punctuation.:pac:

EG

"and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes."

I really think that ill regret asking this put whats ur point??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wibbs what experience of mine do you think I and the OP disagree on? The OP basically wrote up a fairly misogynistic rant about an admittedly annoying but completely harmless advert because his friends have a different type of relationship to him. He seems to have a problem with women going out on their own without men. Which to be very honest is something that very possibly could require professional help because he will have problems fitting into modern society with those types of issues.

Tad bit over the top?

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eh no, read what he actually wrote, not what you may want to see. His point outlined in his post before your input on his possible mentalism, was not that he had an issue with women going out without men as such, more that some women he knows do same, but then get into a strop if their partners go out themselves. This ad(which we all seem to find irritating) just triggered that idea.

Actually no, his point was that he saw this representation of women on a night out and saw red. He attached a negative representation from his own life* to scenes of women enjoying themselves without men. That's kind of weird. Being upset that his friends may be in relationships with hypocrites is fair enough but deciding that any group of women having a night out are therefore hypocrites and "seeing red" at the sight of them is a potential problem.

And with regards to the "read what he actually wrote" comment, you completely misread what I wrote based on your comments that I suggested professional help because he disagrees with my experience. I'm really not sure how you came to that conclusion at all, tbh?

*Not even really his own life, he's projecting onto other other people's lives. He has no idea what is going on in his friends relationships. Ime, people constantly use their partners as an excuse to get out of something they don't want to do. Maybe none of his friends want to go to Liverpool with him.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Tad bit over the top?

Nope, it's why I said "possibly" and "could." :D

This was an After Hours thread, the professional help comment was tongue in cheek in the first place, it's why I used a smilie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Haha, I knew this thread would spiral into a mini rant :D

The real reason I posted it is because myself and my girlfriend (not Irish) hang around with a group of couples around the 27/33 age group and I've known all of them years before I meet my current partner but I'm really starting to resent the women in the group as most of them act like those girls in that butter ad and are beyond annoying.

Just abit of insight: the guys are really laid back and ago with the flow at the weekend but the girls have a tenancy of making "non-male" girlie activities like getting dressed up and watching Sex & the City in the cinema and going away to Spa resorts for the weekend which is fine, know one has a problem with that.

The problems always arise when someone (usually me) suggest that the lads go over to Liverpool for a lads weekend and catch abit of footie. These suggestions usually get shot down instantly by the girls but I keep pushing trying to get them to do male only things and the girls don't seem to like it. My girlfriend is cool with me doing stuff without her, I went to Madrid with some guys from work in August and she went back to her home country for two weeks but some of the Irish girls questioned her on my trip :rolleyes:

So in a nutshell when I saw this ad I pictured all of my mates hypocritical girlfriends screaming and laughing and generally actually like 17 year olds and I saw red! So sorry if I offended anyone reading this, I just needed to vent and see if I was the only one too noticed this sort of incredibly annoying behaviour in the thirtysomething lady folk :)

Im sure the country where your gf comes from has equally the same type of women, if not more irritating, who knows? as your friends girlfriends. Just because your gf is cool with going away, doesnt mean that Irish women are not cool with their bf's going away (i do this all the time and OH as well on seperate wkends). Im sorry about your friends gf's, but not all women are like that...in Ireland or abroad

This is a whole stereotype...the ad is a stereo type (but yep as someone pointed out they prob are in relationships etc and 30 something yr olds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I absolutely detest that ad - it doesn't seem realistic to me at all. Sure there are women who act all "mad" and "zany" on nights out, especially hen nights, but they still don't act in a cringey, forced way like in the ad. I and my friends are in the age group being depicted (I think - maybe younger; someone said they look mid to late 30s, we're late 20s/early 30s) and none of us carry on with that mortifying sh1te. Oh and yeah, the way one of them is munching down her toast and Low Low (worst low-fat spread EVER - worse than Flora and that is saying something) as if she's in the throes of orgasmic ecstasy... ads are somewhat escapist but there should be a level of reality to them too. :pac:
    The whole "girls night out" thing - is it a reality or a media creation? I've never done it, nor am I aware of others doing it, but that's just us.
    and not a man insight for the whole evening.
    LOL
    jugger0 wrote: »
    Not a looker among them... They're wayyyy too old to be going clubbing too.
    Do you like... spontaneously combust or something if you go clubbing after a certain age? I've always been intrigued by how some people actually take notice of the ages people are in relation to what they're doing when it makes absolutely zero difference.
    I really think that ill regret asking this put whats ur point??
    Yeah, I agree. Making fun of someone's writing style - not cool.

Thank you iguana! :D You have single handedly nailed home the main points that I was trying to make about some Irish women of a certain age. Your arrogant, offensive and self righteous remarks and opinions coupled with your delusional armchair physiology were the perfect examples of what I was trying to convey in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd say it's more a case of her getting a bit tired of yet MORE agenda-pushing/labelling re some Irish women.

Your "not in a man in sight" comment too - wtf is that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Dear God this thread is retarded.

I think it's time for lolcats:
    lolcats-funny-pictures-submissions.jpg

Dudess wrote: »
    I'd say it's more a case of her getting a bit tired of yet MORE agenda-pushing/labelling re some Irish women.

Your "not in a man in sight" comment too - wtf is that about?

Well she has done a good job of stoking the flames and strengthened some peoples opinions and arguments.

I thought I explained it in my long post above? Obviously not well enough. Okay I made the 'not a man in sight' comment because the women in the ad are obviously having a girlie night with no men around, which is grand, they want to be alone to enjoy their own company, no harm in that. I see this in real life situations too, if my girlfriend goes out with her mates then I don't see her until we both arrive home or she calls me to meet up with her. But what pisses me off is when men want to have an 'men only night' then I feel that some women take exception to this and either bombard them with texts and calls during the night or arrive to where we are unexpectedly to drag their beau away, or both.

It's hypocrisy at it's finest and I guarantee that the vast majority of people here of a certain age will agree with me........even if they won't openly want to admit to it ;)

Dear God this thread is retarded.

More retarded comments (see what I did there? :D) Why do people bother posting then? Is your internet penis not big enough? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

why exactly are you with a control freak?

Advertisement