Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An accurately representation of some Irish women?

Options
  • 30-09-2010 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I personally cannot stand the ad always feel the instant urge to switch over the channel as soon as it comes on because it actually makes me want to vomit in my mouth. But that is just my personal opinion ;)

Okay I'm obviously painting in broad stokes here but when I first seen this ad I was stuck at how accurate it represented some Irish women in their late 20's/early 30's; clannish mentality, loud and obnoxious, probably very unapproachable & all going home together, most likely for a bitch and gossip session..........and not a man insight for the whole evening.

I personally know a good few girls that this ad is trying to portray and in your opinion does this TV ad accurately represent a stereotypical modern day Irish woman's standard weekend night out?

Is this TV ad an accurately representation of some Irish women? 84 votes

Yes it does
    0% 0 votes
    No it doesn't
    65% 55 votes
    I'm too whipped to care
    34% 29 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

If anything it's toned down from the reality in terms of loud obnoxiousness but it wouldn't be difficult to paint a similar grim picture about young males. Young people tend to be self-involved twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It'd be more realistic if it showed them demented eating burgers then hungover the next morning eating low-low covered toast and tea for the hangovers discussing how fat they feel after the previous nights burger binge....just my thoughts on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mervin J Minky

Yeah I'd say that this pretty much sums alot of Irish women up, no wonder lads prefer to get pissed and ignore Irish women on a night out. There is also only one half decent looking girl in the group too (brunette in the cream jacket that sock girl has her legs across). Very well researched ad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I personally cannot stand the ad always feel the instant urge to switch over the channel as soon as it comes on because it actually makes me want to vomit in my mouth. But that is just my personal opinion ;)

Okay I'm obviously painting in broad stokes here but when I first seen this ad I was stuck at how accurate it represented some Irish women in their late 20's/early 30's; clannish mentality, loud and obnoxious, probably very unapproachable & all going home together, most likely for a bitch and gossip session..........and not a man insight for the whole evening.

I personally know a good few girls that this ad is trying to portray and in your opinion does this TV ad accurately represent a stereotypical modern day Irish woman's standard weekend night out?

Yes, there are many women that are like that....but I don't know where you're getting the clannish mentality/unapproachable thing from. You seem to think that there is something wrong with it? Where's the harm?

What's wrong with being with friends? Should they be doing Japanese calligraphy on a bare mountain-top?:pac::pac::pac:

Edit: Though I've got some f*cking pity for the taxi man!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Woman's pov here: I hate this feckin ad. The shrieking in the taxi, the terrible "dancing" in the club, and the very notion of staying up for a natter after stumbling home all combine to make me despise these women. I hope to all the gods I never come across like this.

The shrieking thing I could understand if they were 17 and it was their first time going to a club and getting served. These women are too bloody old for it! They could do with a good dose of maturity and a bit of cop on.

As for the toast thing; that's a last resort if you can't afford something from the chipper :o plus, judging by the dancing, they should be too drunk to do anything but pass out when they get home.

Ad rant aside, I don't think it's fair to judge Irish women based on this tiny sample. Whenever I'm on a girls night out we don't actively stick to one another; if anyone, guy or girl, wants to chat to us or join us for a drink, the more the merrier! I've made some great (if transitory) friends that way :)

I'm a bit younger than the women in this ad though; perhaps this is depicting my future. How very depressing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Jessica-Rabbit

Raekwon wrote: »

I personally cannot stand the ad always feel the instant urge to switch over the channel as soon as it comes on because it actually makes me want to vomit in my mouth. But that is just my personal opinion

To me it looks like four girls out on the town having a girly night out ,...whats wrong with that,, ok i dont want to upset anyone but I think if men think that think these women are loud and obnoxious then they are perhaps very insecure, these women arent out on the pull they dont want/need a man for whatever reason they are happy independant women enjoying each others compay and maybe this bruises some men's ego's as they arent desperatley trying to be chatted up all night they are too busy having a good time to worry about which man is checking them out ect, I know when im out with my girlfriends all I want to do is dance have fun and let my hair down and not worry who's checking me out, and if this ad represents Irish women then I am most certainly very proud to be a totally indepent Irish women wheither some men like it or not :)

To me it looks like four girls out on the town having a girly night out ,...whats wrong with that,, ok i dont want to upset anyone but I think if men think that think these women are loud and obnoxious then they are perhaps very insecure, these women arent out on the pull they dont want/need a man for whatever reason they are happy independant women enjoying each others compay and maybe this bruises some men's ego's as they arent desperatley trying to be chatted up all night they are too busy having a good time to worry about which man is checking them out ect, I know when im out with my girlfriends all I want to do is dance have fun and let my hair down and not worry who's checking me out, and if this ad represents Irish women then I am most certainly very proud to be a totally indepent Irish women wheither some men like it or not :)
    I don't see how disliking loud obnoxious people makes you insecure. It doesn't matter the sex they are always annoying, going to great lengths to make themselves as visible as possible.

jokettle wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to judge Irish women based on this tiny sample
    You're probably right and these women are not the majority it's just that they make themselves the most noticeable by shrieking all the time so they seem like the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I don't think it does..... Voted no..... *ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Not a looker among them... They're wayyyy too old to be going clubbing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

jugger0 wrote: »
    Not a looker among them... They're wayyyy too old to be going clubbing too.
    /Cuffs youff on the back of the head.
    Away upstairs and finish your homework and leave the talking to the grownups.
    Too old indeed - harrumph.

As to the ad, well it's just an ad scripted and polished and aimd at a certain demographic. If the ad irritates you it's probably because you are not in that demographic.
    Like all ads there is an element of truth to it but only an element. It's an exageration of whats real and then that exageration gets compressed into a 30 second slice of hocum to sell you stuff.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    /Cuffs youff on the back of the head.
    Away upstairs and finish your homework and leave the talking to the grownups.
    Too old indeed - harrumph.

As to the ad, well it's just an ad scripted and polished and aimd at a certain demographic. If the ad irritates you it's probably because you are not in that demographic.
    Like all ads there is an element of truth to it but only an element. It's an exageration of whats real and then that exageration gets compressed into a 30 second slice of hocum to sell you stuff.
    What part is exaggerated? If anything I'd say it's toned down. By the end of the night they would be a lot messier than that and there would probably be arguments resulting in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

pretty good representation, its probably short a nagan each and we didnt see the obligatory bitchiness towards any guy with the gall to get within 6feet or the kissing the same poor basterd after puking in the jacks but all in all fairly accurate representation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Hmm, reminds me of the country girls from college, I'd say it's a pretty accurate representation of a certain group of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

SugarHigh wrote: »
    What part is exaggerated? If anything I'd say it's toned down. By the end of the night they would be a lot messier than that and there would probably be arguments resulting in tears.

bits of puke on the ends on their hair, mascara running, having a sit down on the floor because they're tired and falling asleep, trying to skip you in taxi queues because "you wouldn't make a woman queue in the cold!", throwing their arms around you and trying to score you while their eyes cant quite focus, bawling their eyes in burger king because their friends have gone home

That being said, the first 25 seconds of the ad are fine. Its the stupid forced best friends forever conversation at the end that does my nut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I really don't think this ad is worth all the bickering

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

OldGoat wrote: »
    As to the ad, well it's just an ad scripted and polished and aimd at a certain demographic

It was actually scripted and polished? I would hate to see this at the pre-edited stage, I'd say the poor bastard driving the taxi felt like driving into a canal at full throttle with that unmerciful racket ringing in his ears :p

But seriously, I'm a 30 year old male so I can relate to these sort of women only too well. The ad actually reminded me of my last Christmas work do, all the office girls in their late 20's/early 30's, jumping around screaming and acting like absolute morons. The younger girls were actually much more civilised and even I over heard a few comments from them like "The f**king state of those muppets" & "Two-faced bitches, they will be probably tearing each others hair out by the end of the night" :D The funniest was the foreign blokes that I used to work with, they would look on in horror and give us the glance of "You poor bastards", then when they get tanked up will tell us that women in their country would never act like that and gloat at how much more beautiful the women were in [insert county here] :rolleyes:
    MalariHmm wrote:
    reminds me of the country girls from college, I'd say it's a pretty accurate representation of a certain group of women

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I honestly don't see anything wrong with it to be honest :confused:. A few girls have gone to a club and are dancing and singing along to a song. Afterwards they get a taxi home, being a tad annoying I'd imagine and then they go have some toast with butter...hardly as terrible as some of you posters are making out.

An accurate representation-no not really, far more toned down I'd imagine. Pop along to Harcourt Street on any Friday night to see what truely obnoxious women look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

The first half of the ad definitely represents something I see every night from (some, not all) girls. But the second half where they're calmly drinking tea and eating low-low is completely ridiculous. Never seen a girl do that ever, after a night out on the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

Has the gender balance really shifted this much? Women going out, getting pissed and enjoying themselves while the men sit at home, bitching about them on the internet? Our grandfathers are rolling in their manly graves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Seosaimh77 wrote: »
    The first half of the ad definitely represents something I see every night from (some, not all) girls. But the second half where they're calmly drinking tea and eating low-low is completely ridiculous. Never seen a girl do that ever, after a night out on the town

Because you know all the women in the country and have been in all their houses after a night out? These are older women, mid-late 30s. At least half of them are probably married, the others probably in relationships and one or two may have kids at home with the husband. They probably don't drink very much and were just out for a dance and a chat before heading home.

Something about the ad does annoy the hell out of me but it's not that they are bunch of older women on a girly night out. Maybe it's that the ad makers chose "We're the Kids in America" when the women are clearly not in America (nor kids), they should have been dancing to "Footloose" or something. Or it could be that Low-Low is nasty tasting muck, it does not taste like butter and the reason it is not fattening is because after the first mouthful at best you lose your appetite and at worst you lose your lunch. Bleurgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

TitoPuente wrote: »
    Has the gender balance really shifted this much? Women going out, getting pissed and enjoying themselves while the men sit at home, bitching about them on the internet? Our grandfathers are rolling in their manly graves.
    No it hasn't. There's pathetic people on both sides of field. Always will be. The "live for the weekend" culture turns my stomach, as it does many on this board. This is why you see threads like this all the time.

So Tom, what have you accomplished in your life? What challenges have you taken on in you 70 year existence? What have you learnt?

Ah c'mere, got LOOOADDED every Saturday with the lads an FECKIN' enjoyed every minute of it hi!!

Tom. Live. Laugh. Loved every FECCCKIN minute of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Having had the misfortune of being in Coppers during the week, that ad is deeply disturbing in how realistic it is...

iguana wrote: »
    Because you know all the women in the country and have been in all their houses after a night out?
    He clearly only said some women.
    represents something I see every night from (some, not all) girls.

and he only said he never saw girls eating toast after a night out not that it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Galvasean wrote: »
    Having had the misfortune of being in Coppers during the week, that ad is deeply disturbing in how realistic it is...

Just say no buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Just say no buddy.

Say no to Lolo...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

SugarHigh wrote: »
    He clearly only said some women.
    and he only said he never saw girls eating toast after a night out not that it never happened.

Um no, he said it was completely ridiculous; "But the second half where they're calmly drinking tea and eating low-low is completely ridiculous."

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Galvasean wrote: »

Askin for it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I don't see what is particularly wrong with this ad. There is nothing outrageous or overly annoying about the people in it. It probably represents a group of friends going out after a weeks work and just relaxing and having fun. I would like to record some of the antics of the people on a night out who are complaining that this ad is annoying. I would bet that they don't spend their time drinking fine brandy in front of an open fire discussing the latest economic data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

PaulieC wrote: »
    It'd be more realistic if it showed them demented eating burgers then hungover the next morning eating low-low covered toast and tea for the hangovers discussing how fat they feel after the previous nights burger binge....just my thoughts on the matter
    I agree, Those women are far too sober and less sore from the night before than reality plus there no slurs in their singing. The Drink ads about people falling drunk are far more realistic.

Low Low is an ad for selling about Products, they will always emblish reality and see the customer in the positive light.

Here some reality I see after 11pm when I go out.

or this

or this

and this

Advertisement