Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to join a cycling club? Now's the time to do it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

thanks for that tied up next few weeks will pop down mid october

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoda81269

Oriel Wheelers touring group depart at 8am (9am in winter time) every Sunday from the White Cross, Dunleer, County Louth.
    Average speed 28-32km/h and distance 80-120km depending on weather/terrain. You can PM me if you required any further details

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

Thanks for the advice. Over the last number of months, I've thought about going out on a Saturday morning to meet with the Orwell crowd, but those Dundrum Shopping Centre-sponsored jerseys put me off!!!

More than likely I will do L'Etape next year so I think it would be nice to have a more structured routine through the winter months. Maybe I'll go out to Dundrum next Saturday for a spin to see what they're like....

The winter spins are on Sunday mornings AvidIrishReader. 09:30 @ Joe Daly Cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Robfowl,

Thanks for the info. about swords.

Just wondering - is there any middle ground between the saturday 30 mile spins and the serious guys who are preparing for racing ?

I'm currently doing 100km spins on my own @ 27kmph. I think the saturday spins wouldn't suit me but on the other hand I have no interest in getting serious about cycling. Any social sort of middle ground ?!

Thank very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If I'd known this, I still would have had to bring the missus into town at 10 o'clock. Got in a nice quick 47km out to Bray via Kilternan in the afternoon anyway. Getting quite nippy out there, I'd have been frozen without my glove liners on.

I'll try to make this Sunday's one. Going by last years' roster it'll be a fairly flat 65-ish km, possibly out to Blessington.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Robfowl,

Thanks for the info. about swords.

Just wondering - is there any middle ground between the saturday 30 mile spins and the serious guys who are preparing for racing ?

I'm currently doing 100km spins on my own @ 27kmph. I think the saturday spins wouldn't suit me but on the other hand I have no interest in getting serious about cycling. Any social sort of middle ground ?!

Thank very much.

If you're doing 27kph on your own the Saturday Blakes Cross spin should be ideal for you - about 70km, averaging around 30kph (which you should be fine with in a group). Not everyone in that spin is training for racing, and you'll probably find anything slower too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

el tonto wrote: »
    If you're interested in joining a cycling club in order to race, train or do sportives next season, Autumn's the time to do it. Most clubs will be starting up their winter training spins soon and its best to start early when things are fairly relaxed and the clubs are focussed on getting their newcomers up to speed.

My own club, Orwell Wheelers is starting its winter spins on Sunday, starting from Joe Daly’s bike shop in Dundrum at 9:30am. Spins will be split into separate groups based on ability and will include a Beginner group for riders new to group riding and a Step Up group for those contemplating racing for the first time.

Might be a good idea if folks from other clubs pitch into this thread with details on when their own spins open for beginners are starting up?
    Thanks for the heads up on this - I didn't see the post though until today so missed the boat for yesterday.

Do you just turn up the first time? Will the Sunday 9.30 be the case for Orwell from now on over the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

@joker77 - yeah, just turn up on the Sunday at 0930 - take a look at the below as well:

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/club-spins-overview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

is the swords spin from blakes x at 830 the faster guys? or just an easy pace? was talking to one of the guys organising the sportive yesterday but for got to ask.

also is it ok to just turn up on a saturday or do you nrrd to join? he mentioned a members night in november for joining (not that a few weeks will make a massive difference to me) would like to try and up my pace a little over distance with a view to seeing what racing looks like from the back next year

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

neris wrote: »
    is the swords spin from blakes x at 830 the faster guys? or just an easy pace? was talking to one of the guys organising the sportive yesterday but for got to ask.

also is it ok to just turn up on a saturday or do you nrrd to join? he mentioned a members night in november for joining (not that a few weeks will make a massive difference to me) would like to try and up my pace a little over distance with a view to seeing what racing looks like from the back next year
    Blakes Cross is the faster one - 27-30kph over 70km
    The "leisure" group leave from Swords at 9.15 and averages around 22kph

Details on www.swordscc.com

You can just turn up - I would guess no-one would complain much if you went on a few spins but left it until next year to sign up, given we are already 3/4 of the way through the year (07Lapierre may have a different view though - he's the club secretary!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

kenmc wrote: »
    nice spin to roundwood with orwell. thanks for having me. didn't see any other boards jerseys though

I saw you though. Myself and my mate were just putting the bikes in the back of the car in Enniskerry after a spin to Laragh and back by Sallygap when the very large Orwell posse rolled into town. As we headed in to the coffee shop, I pointed out the only boards jersey there to him. I would have said hello only it would have taken about half an hour for you to introduce all your mates.

This should probably go in the jersey spotting thread but it would just be too complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Orwell folks,

Is there a beginners women's group going out on Sundays? Would like to join!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

nice spin to roundwood with orwell. thanks for having me. didn't see any other boards jerseys though

Was that you lot trying to sabotage the Vets Hill Climb? :D

http://www.ivca.info/gallery/album02hillclimb2010/IMG_9499

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

QueensGael wrote: »
    Orwell folks,

Is there a beginners women's group going out on Sundays? Would like to join!

A women's group goes out on Saturday's. Full details here. Aideen is advising people to get in touch with her via text before coming along.

Plenty of women ride the Sunday spins also, but Sundays are mixed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

jimm wrote: »

Eh, Who are the two Status Quo fans slacking off to the right? :D:D

60130_1589376223737_1515796089_1495249_3144673_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

jimm wrote: »

Yep :) How'd we do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Couple of straightforward questions for Swords guys:-

1. Can you just show up and join in? I'd be particularly interested in the Balrothery group

2. Can you bail out before the end - I only ask because if I went to Blake's Cross I'd probably be passing close enough to home so I'd probably cut out there having done about 20 odd km to get to Blake's Cross in the first place!

Jawgap wrote: »
    Couple of straightforward questions for Swords guys:-

1. Can you just show up and join in? I'd be particularly interested in the Balrothery group

2. Can you bail out before the end - I only ask because if I went to Blake's Cross I'd probably be passing close enough to home so I'd probably cut out there having done about 20 odd km to get to Blake's Cross in the first place!

1. Yes
    2. Yes - a lot join in as it goes through Skerries, Balrothery etc, and a lot bale out as it heads past the airport and through Swords. RobFowl is one who joins in Balrothery and then carries on to complete the circuit after most of the remaining riders drop off around Skerries

Give Sam a call re the Balrothery spin (his number is on the website) - I think it's probably started up again (I think they didn't run it through the racing season)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I saw you though. Myself and my mate were just putting the bikes in the back of the car in Enniskerry after a spin to Laragh and back by Sallygap when the very large Orwell posse rolled into town. As we headed in to the coffee shop, I pointed out the only boards jersey there to him. I would have said hello only it would have taken about half an hour for you to introduce all your mates.

This should probably go in the jersey spotting thread but it would just be too complicated.
    Not my mates - yet - just getting to know a few. Wouldn't recognise many now without lycra and helmets on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

el tonto wrote: »
    A women's group goes out on Saturday's. Full details here. Aideen is advising people to get in touch with her via text before coming along.

Plenty of women ride the Sunday spins also, but Sundays are mixed.

Great, thanks for that! Will head out this Saturday then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Yep :) How'd we do?

Failed :)

Results here: http://www.ivca.info/ Winner did it in 7.46 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Planet X wrote: »

60130_1589376223737_1515796089_1495249_3144673_n.jpg

thats 2011 race tactics , just slip off while no one is watching

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

Smithzer wrote: »
    I dont think Drogheda Wheelers has much going on except from the vets and a couple of juniors. I know there is spins that leave Quay Cycles every Sun (I think) but I dont think they are actual wheelers spin's. I do stand to be corrected on this by the way.

Gerard Campbell is the contact there so he will have more info, I'll PM you his number.

By the way you might be interested in this

Drogheda Wheelers/Quay Cycles present the Kevin King Leisure Tour Sunday Oct 10th leaving Donore Rd retail park at 10am.50 and 100 K Proceeds 2 Cancer Research

I would have been interested in this myself. I'm not interested in racing at all but would love to join a club and participate in any touring events etc. that they'd have coming up. I'm living in Slane and since the Drogheda Wheelers group seems to be small enough and a mix of vets and juniors, I might give the Navan club a shout - mind you, I'm sure the vets and juniors would still kick my a55. Has anyone any information on the club in Navan?

I'd be new to the club scene and wouldn't have much experience in group riding. I want to take part in as many sportives as I can next year, with completion of the Ring of Kerry being the goal. I only got out for the Meath An Post event this year (being my 1st and only event so far). Completing the 100km route on this has only made me want to do as many as I can next year.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a club in my vicinity that I can join. Its just finding one now is the mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ok, I'll admit it...we went milf hunting in Avoca.

Also, I realise it looks bad in that photo, but we did go single file up the hard shoulder and let that car pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Thanks for the advice. Over the last number of months, I've thought about going out on a Saturday morning to meet with the Orwell crowd, but those Dundrum Shopping Centre-sponsored jerseys put me off!!!

More than likely I will do L'Etape next year so I think it would be nice to have a more structured routine through the winter months. Maybe I'll go out to Dundrum next Saturday for a spin to see what they're like....

Hey Avid, I'm beside the phoenix park and am thinking of heading out this sat if you want to meet up around the canal maybe and head out together.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

Dublin Wheelers have beginners' spins starting this weekend as well. The first spin is 30 Km, and the distances will gradually increase after that. Details here.

If you are too advanced for the beginners spin, you can join the regular club spin.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I give up. Lazy Poker Blues...?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hoeballs

any cork groups on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Dublin Wheelers have beginners' spins starting this weekend as well. The first spin is 30 Km, and the distances will gradually increase after that. Details here.

If you are too advanced for the beginners spin, you can join the regular club spin.

Do you have spins on a Sunday? I'm not available Saturday mornings but would love to get out with a club on Sundays. I'm based in Drumcondra so your crowd sound the handiest. I do 50-80k at present by myself, occasionally with a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Any North Galway/South Mayo CC organise group spins for the autumn/winter?

Advertisement