Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to join a cycling club? Now's the time to do it

Options
  • 24-09-2010 5:57pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you're interested in joining a cycling club in order to race, train or do sportives next season, Autumn's the time to do it. Most clubs will be starting up their winter training spins soon and its best to start early when things are fairly relaxed and the clubs are focussed on getting their newcomers up to speed.

My own club, Orwell Wheelers is starting its winter spins on Sunday, starting from Joe Daly’s bike shop in Dundrum at 9:30am. Spins will be split into separate groups based on ability and will include a Beginner group for riders new to group riding and a Step Up group for those contemplating racing for the first time.

Might be a good idea if folks from other clubs pitch into this thread with details on when their own spins open for beginners are starting up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭FatSh!te

Thanks for the heads up, I'll hopefully head along. It'll maybe get me out on the road at the weekend more often!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Agree 100% with you. On that note my own club, marble city cyclers (aka boards.ie kk branch) hold beginners spins every Saturday morning leaving the castle at 9h00.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Good idea, The club i'm in Sportif Waterford CC also bring beginners out every Saturday and Sunday although Saturday is prob better . They leave from Woodies at 9.30 check it out . http://sportifwaterfordcc.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

el tonto wrote: »
    If you're interested in joining a cycling club in order to race, train or do sportives next season, Autumn's the time to do it. Most clubs will be starting up their winter training spins soon and its best to start early when things are fairly relaxed and the clubs are focussed on getting their newcomers up to speed.

My own club, Orwell Wheelers is starting its winter spins on Sunday, starting from Joe Daly’s bike shop in Dundrum at 9:30am. Spins will be split into separate groups based on ability and will include a Beginner group for riders new to group riding and a Step Up group for those contemplating racing for the first time.

Might be a good idea if folks from other clubs pitch into this thread with details on when their own spins open for beginners are starting up?

I'm hoping to join Orwell this year to get into racing so hopefully I'll make it on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Anyone on here in the Stamullen or Drogheda Wheelers CC? Any info on either would be appreciated as i want to join a club nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

I'll most likely head to the Orwell Wheelers spin.
    Anyone know roughly how long the beginners spins are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'll most likely head to the Orwell Wheelers spin.
    Anyone know roughly how long the beginners spins are?

The first one I was on in January was ~60km, but I don't know if that's ramped up from something lesser in October.

I've been checking my diary, and my next free Sunday morning is the October bank holiday. :( No club spins for a while so!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

For contact details see www.swordscc.com

Club Training Spins:
    Meeting Point: The Lord Mayors, Main St, Swords.
    Saturdays Leisure Group
    09.15 from Lord Mayors 30-50 miles , AVS 14mph/22kph, Coffee Stop
    All year round (once it's not raining!)
    Saturday 'Half Eight' group
    As the name suggests......... departs at half eight (sharp) from Blakes Cross taking a brisk run around around the coast coming back via the Naul and over the Three Sisters
    under the guidance of Pat Halligan.
    All year round
    Course on 'Map my Ride'

Sundays 'Racers' Training Spin(Departs @ 09:00 Sharp!!!) Home by 1pm
    Recommences Sunday 30th December - every Sunday up to racing season

Sunday Touring Group
    Easier spin on Sundays at Meet at 09.00. Lord Mayors, 50mls/80km approx, The average speed is 25/26kph with a Tea Stop
    Sunday Beginners Group (Time changed March 2009)
    Sundays at Meet at 10am Lord Mayors,
    Very relaxed pace, designed for those new to the sport.
    Tea Stop
    Sundays Balrothery Inn Group
    Currently departs 10am from Balrothery Inn, (*Note time change)
    Stamullen -Ardcath - Garristown ( 2 hours)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

hi anyone know of any beginers spins with serc from arklow sat or sun times??

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

Anyone on here in the Stamullen or Drogheda Wheelers CC? Any info on either would be appreciated as i want to join a club nearby.

I dont think Drogheda Wheelers has much going on except from the vets and a couple of juniors. I know there is spins that leave Quay Cycles every Sun (I think) but I dont think they are actual wheelers spin's. I do stand to be corrected on this by the way.

Gerard Campbell is the contact there so he will have more info, I'll PM you his number.

By the way you might be interested in this

Drogheda Wheelers/Quay Cycles present the Kevin King Leisure Tour Sunday Oct 10th leaving Donore Rd retail park at 10am.50 and 100 K Proceeds 2 Cancer Research

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

2009 Club of the Year Lakeside Wheelers Mullingar :D

http://www.lakesidewheelers.ie/

Club Spins
    Sundays 9:00am ORS car park (opposite the Mullingar Park Hotel)
    Saturday 9:00am ORS car park

Saturday Spin is the usual starting place for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭furiousox

Stamullen cc info here, I rang them about 4 months ago to enquire about joining.....still waiting to hear back....:rolleyes:

http://www.stamullenroadclub.com/joinus.html

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Think I'll pop along to Orwell as it's just up the road from me.
    Makes sense?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well as mentioned previously Sportif Waterford CC have also began our Autumn/Winter training spins, we run beginners spins every Saturday morning from 9.30am, we actually have 3 separate groups which head out on Saturday mornings, the Group 1's head out at 9.30am and usually do a spin on in or around 40km, the Group 2 spin also head out at 9.30 and would normally do a route of about 75km which would include a coffee stop, and finally the group 3 spin which pretty much do a similar route to that of the group 2 spin but at a quicker pace. We would tend to have some of our racing guys out with this group. This group leaves at the earlier time of 9am on Saturdays.

Newcomer's are always welcome to come along on any of our club spins as are any of the members of the local tri-clubs

Our Spins are usually updated from Thursdays evenings here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

would like to give racing and auduax a go next year but at beginners level so prob head to swords myself

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭thekidd147

Naas cc is always looking for new members, it's a touring and new to racing club so all are welcome. Meet at the courthouse in naas Sunday mornings a 9 am...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

furiousox wrote: »
    Stamullen cc info here, I rang them about 4 months ago to enquire about joining.....still waiting to hear back....:rolleyes:

http://www.stamullenroadclub.com/joinus.html
    That website is well out of date - the last "news" is from 2008, and the latest results are over 3 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Planet X wrote: »
    Think I'll pop along to Orwell as it's just up the road from me.
    Makes sense?

Heading along also, with a colleague.
    You jumping ship PX?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Nah, not sure but I know alot of guys who are members of two clubs. Seems to happen.
    Ah, the politics of dancing!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well as mentioned previously Sportif Waterford CC have also began our Autumn/Winter training spins, we run beginners spins every Saturday morning from 9.30am, we actually have 3 separate groups which head out on Saturday mornings, the Group 1's head out at 9.30am and usually do a spin on in or around 40km, the Group 2 spin also head out at 9.30 and would normally do a route of about 75km which would include a coffee stop, and finally the group 3 spin which pretty much do a similar route to that of the group 2 spin but at a quicker pace. We would tend to have some of our racing guys out with this group. This group leaves at the earlier time of 9am on Saturdays.

Newcomer's are always welcome to come along on any of our club spins as are any of the members of the local tri-clubs

Our Spins are usually updated from Thursdays evenings here

Hope to join you soon, but trying to sort out getting a bike right now - all going well before christmas though !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 dancesOnPedals

Planet X wrote: »
    Ah, the politics of dancing!
    ...on pedals.

That takes me back. Thanks for reminding me. I were only a young lad, though. I swear ;)

nice spin to roundwood with orwell. thanks for having me. didn't see any other boards jerseys though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

kenmc wrote: »
    nice spin to roundwood with orwell. thanks for having me. didn't see any other boards jerseys though
    I'll toddle along next week, I some how managed to miss this thread so didn't realise their beginner spins were starting already.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

kenmc wrote: »

I didn't make it either this morning so o hop to get out next weekend. @kenmc was there many newcomers on the spin today?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AvidIrishReader

FOlks, anyone know of any clubs in west Dublin other than in Lucan?

I'm in Inchicore and would like to get involved in one myself.

Thanks, R.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

Great to see loads of new faces this morning at my own club spin, Orwell Wheelers. What's really great to see as well is loads of beginners from last year still turning up, and also having enjoyed the club league races over the summer, and now they're back for more.

@AvidIrishReader - you mention you're in Inchicore - you're not that far of a spin out to Dundrum, only maybe 4 or 5 miles, there's plenty of folks who come from town out to Dundrum to do the spins. Take a look at the setup here:

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/club-spins-overview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Might as well get in on the act!

Great club scene in the general Wexford area at the moment with Barrow Wheelers, South East Road Club, Slipsteam, Wexford Wheelers, Racing 795(MTB) and most importantly the plug for our own club http://www.slaneycyclingclub.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AvidIrishReader

Thanks for the advice. Over the last number of months, I've thought about going out on a Saturday morning to meet with the Orwell crowd, but those Dundrum Shopping Centre-sponsored jerseys put me off!!!

More than likely I will do L'Etape next year so I think it would be nice to have a more structured routine through the winter months. Maybe I'll go out to Dundrum next Saturday for a spin to see what they're like....
    mc2000 wrote: »
    Great to see loads of new faces this morning at my own club spin, Orwell Wheelers. What's really great to see as well is loads of beginners from last year still turning up, and also having enjoyed the club league races over the summer, and now they're back for more.

@AvidIrishReader - you mention you're in Inchicore - you're not that far of a spin out to Dundrum, only maybe 4 or 5 miles, there's plenty of folks who come from town out to Dundrum to do the spins. Take a look at the setup here:

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/club-spins-overview.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Wicklow Vet, The Arklow group meet at Fernhill, (where the new shops are) at 9:30 both days. Pace is steady, although like all it depends on your own level, these guys are pretty experienced mostly. Theres a group goes from Gorey every weekend Sat/Sun too, less of a pace....

If you pm me I can give you the lads details who organise the events if that helps, I'm nearer Wicklow if you fancy a spin lad!

• Advertisement

keano007 wrote: »
    I didn't make it either this morning so o hop to get out next weekend. @kenmc was there many newcomers on the spin today?
    Yeah loads, had to split us up into different groups.

Advertisement