Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Week 3 Thread

Options
  • 23-09-2010 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Sunday 26th September

6:00pm
    Tennessee Titans @ New York Giants
    Pittsburgh Steelers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Cincinnati Bengals @ Carolina Panthers
    Cleveland Browns @ Baltimore Ravens
    Dallas Cowboys @ Houston Texans
    San Francisco 49ers @ Kansas City Chiefs
    Detroit Lions @ Minnesota Vikings
    Buffalo Bills @ New England Patriots
    Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints (Sky)

9:05pm / 9:15 pm
    Washington Redskins @ St. Louis Rams
    Philadelphia Eagles @ Jacksonville Jaguars
    Oakland Raiders @ Arizona Cardinals
    San Diego Chargers @ Seattle Seahawks
    Indianapolis Colts @ Denver Broncos (Sky)

1:20am SNF
    New York Jets @ Miami Dolphins (Channel 4)

Monday 27th September

1:20am MNF
    Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears (ESPN)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Sunday 26th September

Monday 27th September

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Tennessee Titans @ New York Giants - Giants
    Pittsburgh Steelers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Steelers
    Cincinnati Bengals @ Carolina Panthers - Cincy
    Cleveland Browns @ Baltimore Ravens - Ravens
    Dallas Cowboys @ Houston Texans - Texans
    San Francisco 49ers @ Kansas City Chiefs - Chiefs
    Detroit Lions @ Minnesota Vikings - Viks
    Buffalo Bills @ New England Patriots - Pats (NAP)
    Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints - Saints

Washington Redskins @ St. Louis Rams - skins
    Philadelphia Eagles @ Jacksonville Jaguars - Eagles
    Oakland Raiders @ Arizona Cardinals - Cards
    San Diego Chargers @ Seattle Seahawks - Chargers
    Indianapolis Colts @ Denver Broncos - Colts

New York Jets @ Miami Dolphins - Jets.

Monday 27th September

Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears - the pack

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Sunday 26th September

Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints

Indianapolis Colts @ Denver Broncos

New York Jets @ Miami Dolphins

Monday 27th September

Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears

• Registered Users Posts: 15,191 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sunday 26th September

Monday 27th September

----

Everyone please continue picking against my bears. It's worked the first 2 weeks :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Sunday 26th September

Monday 27th September

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭menu14

Sunday 26th September

Monday 27th September

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

After getting a lot of picks wrong last week, lets try this again :D

Tennessee Titans @ New York Giants: The Steelers are looking to be back to their Superbowl winning form so The Titans keeping it close was actually a decent result, especially considering the loss was mainly due to a Vince Young collapse. I just don't trust the Giants, the Colts beat them effectively on the ground... with Joseph Addai. Chris Johnson can shred them. Young is improving, but he was always going to have bad patches, I can't see him being that bad again, and Collins did nothing to take the starter job, so he can bounce back here. All he needs to do is manage the game and let CJ make plays. Brandon Jacobs may be a distraction for the Giants too.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Two 2-0 teams, but that's about the only similarity here. The Bucs actually have a chance here with the mess at QB in Pittsburgh, but Batch is a decent enough game manager to win. The Bucs just aren't there yet, but I expect them to play their hearts out trying to show they can compete with the big boys. It doesn't do them any favours however, that Tanard Jackson has been suspended. It'll be close, Steelers games rarely aren't, but the Steeler D will win this game, simple as that.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Carolina Panthers: The Panthers are, simply put, awful. Putting Clausen in won't change that. It's going to make it worse if anything. He seems far from ready, and the Bengals look good again. They may not be ticking offensively, but they still had enough to take advantage of Flacco's awful game last week. If they can do that against the Ravens, expect them to do even better against another QB who has the potential for a high number of turnovers.

Cleveland Browns @ Baltimore Ravens: The Browns are a long way from having a chance against a team this good. Especially one out to prove they aren't as bad as they showed last week. Flacco will be better, and there are too many weapons on the Raven offense for a poor Browns D. Even if the Browns manage to keep the Ravens at bay, who's going to score for them? Harrison is banged up, Delhomme is out and Seneca Wallace is not the answer.

Dallas Cowboys @ Houston Texans: Shootout in Texas, yeehaw! Ahem.. stereotyping aside, this one has the potential to have more points in one quarter than most games this weekend. Schaub and his receivers look to be on the same page and Arian Foster has the talent to keep the Boys Defense honest. The Cowboys are still struggling on the offensive line, and with the Texans able to put points on the board so easily against a team who already beat the Cowboys, this could turn into a game of catchup for Romo and co. If the Cowboys can take an early lead that's their best chance. They'll certainly be 'gunning' (sorry) for their first victory, but the Texans look too good for them right now.

San Francisco 49ers @ Kansas City Chiefs: Yes, the 49ers looked a lot better against the Saints, and yes, on paper they are the better team. But the Chiefs are well coached, and have far more talent than they get credit for. They've beaten whatever has been put in front of them, and they can do no more. The 49ers haven't. Cassel needs to improve obviously, but with Alex Smith's best weapon, Crabtree, looking more like a rookie than last year, then this will likely come down to the running game. Gore may be great, but he is not a one man team. Jones and Charles make a great combination however, power and explosive speed, enough to do some damage against a suspect 49ers defense.

Detroit Lions @ Minnesota Vikings: Stranger things have happened... The Lions were impressive against the Eagles, who certainly look to be a better team than the misfiring Vikings. With Favre looking his age at long last, the improved Lions Defense can step up and prove they can win games here. Suh could have a monster game here and Delmas can make plays. The only thing the Vikes can stop is the run, but Jahvid Best can catch passes and with Calvin Johnson on the field as well, the Vikings could struggle to keep up. Peterson will walk through the Detroit D, but that won't win games alone, so unless Favre, Berrian and newly signed Hank Baskett make some huge improvements, the Lions should have the edge. Yes, the Lions.

Buffalo Bills @ New England Patriots: Should I even bother? Trent Edwards has been replaced at Quarterback by the equally awful Ryan Fitzpatrick. Rookie CJ Spiller had one carry last week and looked a shadow of his preseason self in week 1. Marshawn Lynch is 'not being showcased for trades' and sits atop the depth chart, which is frankly, ridiculous. How can the Bills hope to score any points, even against a poor Patriots Defense? And on the other side of the ball, Brady has the perfect opportunity to show his second half against the Jets was a once-off, and despite concerns at running back, the Patriots can win with Sammy Morris alone if they want against the worst team in football, by some margin.

Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints: The champs barely managed to beat the 49ers, who were destroyed by the Seahawks in week 1. The Falcons on the other hand, put up huge numbers against the Cardinals. Bush is out, and his speed and explosiveness will be missed. Roddy White looks great, and Tony Gonzalez has to have a big game sooner or later. Even without Michael Turner the Falcons showed they can score, and he looks to be healthy for this game. The Saints are a sterner test than the Cards for sure, but they only won by a score against both the Vikings and the 49ers. The Falcons are far better at the moment than both of them, and for my money, are the better team right now.

Washington Redskins @ St. Louis Rams: I really want to say the Rams. Bradford looks great, he's making his receivers look good, and Steven Jackson is, well, Steven Jackson. But really, the Redskins should have beaten the Texans, and did beat the Cowboys. They may give up points, but they are the better team. McNabb is starting to look good and he should have an easier time against the Rams D than in his previous games. Both teams have their problems, and the Redskins are in decline with an aging Qb, while the Rams are in the ascendancy, but as of right now, the Redskins have too much for the Rams.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Jacksonville Jaguars: Is Vick an improvement over Kolb? Looks like the Philly fans think so, and seemingly so does Andy Reid. I'm not convinced just yet, 2 quarters does not an elite QB make, and it's a long season. He looks better than Kolb did in his first two games, but Kolb looked great late last year, and suits the system Philadelphia play. In the long term, Vick is a mistake in my eyes, until he shows he can be consistent. Against the terrible Jags though, he'll look great, especially with the weapons he has, but then so would Kolb. This week isn't the test for the Eagles, and they should win easily.

Oakland Raiders @ Arizona Cardinals: The Cardinals look bad, their star running back (Wells) is either out, or will be limited. Derek Anderson is inaccurate at best, making Larry Fitzgerald less of a weapon than he should be. Their Defense is playing terribly, and allowed 41 points to the Falcons after barely containing a rookie QB in his first start. The Raiders should actually improve with Gradkowski starting, he seems to know how to use the weapons he has at his disposal. He targeted Heyward-bey 9 times last week, and Louis Murphy looks to be a genuine talent. McFadden looks like the player Oakland drafted and if they can actually put points on the board and finish drives, they should walk away with the W.

San Diego Chargers @ Seattle Seahawks: The Chargers came back strong against the Jaguars, but that's not exactly the sternest test. Neither are the Seahawks to be fair, though with Matthews having fitness problems, this one could be tougher for the Chargers than most think, especially on the road. The Seahawks don't have enough on offense to beat the Chargers D though, so if it comes down to a battle of Quarterbacks, Rivers is a vastly more talented player than Hasselbeck, and should give the Chargers the win. Should of course, is far form definite, and the slow starting Chargers could suffer the 49ers fate. I doubt it though.

Indianapolis Colts @ Denver Broncos: Awww, the Denver Broncos! Is probably the last thing Peyton and the Colts will be thinking. With a poor run game, and an unproven passing attack (one good game from Demaryius Thomas isn't convincing me) the Colts should simply outscore the Broncos. The Colts were able to score at will against the Giants and the Broncos D isn't going to be much more of a challenge for Manning. It may be on the road, but I still find it hard to see how the Broncos can beat the Colts in this one.

New York Jets @ Miami Dolphins: Revis is out, so Brandon Marshall should have a field day, right? Not exactly, Henne will see pressure throughout this game and may not have time to find his receivers deep. The jets kept the far superior Patriot offense at bay minus Revis Christ last week, and should do the same again. Sanchez looked better last week, good even, but I'm skeptical. He's inconsistent and now his current top receiver has droppped the ball off the field, as well as on. This is a defensive battle, so expect low scores and short drives. It may come down to the better punter.... The Jets defense, for me, has the advantage here, and should just about get the Jets the win. It should be very close.

Monday 27th September

Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears: Shootout in Illinois, yeehaw! Absurdity aside, everyones game of the week has the potential to be a classic. Cutler looks frankly amazing, Forte is a serious threat for a touchdown cathching out of the backfield, and the receivers are all, yes even Hester, capable of a big play. For Green Bay, Rodgers finally hit stride in the second half of week 2, Driver, Jennings, Jones and Finley all look good, and despite the loss of Grant, between Jackson and goal line runs from Kuhn, and if necessary Rodgers, the Pack are a force on offense. The real test for each team is who can make the stops on defense, and thats where I'd give the Packers the edge. Clay Mattews has been phenomenal this year and the Pack D in general has really stepped up. They can make the difference here and force Cutler to turn the ball over. He is also due a game with more than one interception, and if its a shootout, this could be it as he forces throws. Martz will plan well, and the Bears will score, but so will the Packers, and I trust Rodgers more than Cutler, despite their performances up till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Surely this'll be a little more successful then last week'd predictions!

Tennessee Titans
    @ New York Giants
    Kansas City Chiefs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sunday 26th September 6:00pm

I fancy the Titans here but the Giants are just unpredictable. They are one of those infuriating teams that things can just click together on any given day. Vince Young though was not so good last week and will have to use his arm more in this game. This could go either way but I have to go for the Tennessee Titans
    I predicted the Steelers would work hard during Big Ben's absence and be in good shape when he came back. Their D has been impressive and I expect them to win here. Tampa have gotten off to a great start, they are rebuilding and its going the right way for them but their unbeaten start ends here. I think the Steelers are going to be a real force this year. Pittsburgh Steelers
    As I predicted last week, people keep underestimating the Bengals. The Panters have looked real bad but I really rate Jimmy Clausen and I think he is going to have a long career in the NFL. I still like the Bengals here but this game could go either way. If Clausen develops good chemistry with Steve Smith this week then the Panthers could surprise as they have a good running game and they could really open up if Clausen can deliver but as of right now you would have to go with the Cincinnati Bengals
    The Browns have lost two tight games to two very average teams albeit teams with good coaching. This game is a huge rivalry game, its not only a divisional rivalry but its the old browns vs the new browns. Flacco has been horrendous so far and this game comes down to Ravens running game. Its all about Ray Rice here and he should do enough to secure a win in a close game. Baltimore Ravens
    The Texans are off to a good start, the Cowboys are 0-2 and deservedly so. I can't see any way that the Cowboys can stop this Texans offense and the problem for the Cowboys is that they won't do enough on offense against a poor D. I think the Texans win a high scoring affair. Houston Texans
    The 49ers put up a good show at home against the Saints on Monday night. The Chiefs are 2-0 and thats down to good coaching. This a game of two desperate QBs in Alex Smith and Matt Cassel. Frank Gore is a very dangerous man but Romeo Crennel has really improved the front 7 there without bringing in any personnel and they have been excellent against the run. I like the Thomas Jones/Jamaal Charles dual thread but this is a game where you don't expect to see much success with the running game. Its very hard to call this one because its really down to the passers here imo and neither are deserving of any trust at the moment. I just don't know what way to go so I'll go with the home team. Kansas City Chiefs
    Well they literally threw the game away last week with the red zone interceptions but the Vikings are a good team. Favre has to get his act together though but we've seen him like this before and he always turns it around. The Lions are looking better than last year but they will have a hard time against this mean D. Minnesota Vikings
    The Bills have been horrendous and are living up to my tag as the worst team in the NFL so far. Their offense has been shocking but their running game could cause big problems to the Patriots. Still this is the Patriots at home against the worst team in the NFL. New England Patriots
    I've been waiting for the Saints to light it up the last two weeks but it hasn't happened. They might be suffering from a Superbowl hangover but they are showing their class by winning ugly. One of these weeks that offense is gonna start humming and they will rip some team apart. It could happen this week and they really need it to, Matt Ryan is playing well and Turner is fit by the sounds of things. Still I have to go with the New Orleans Saints

Sunday 26th September9:05pm / 9:15 pm

The Redskins D looked just like the Broncos D did under Shanahan last week and thats not good. The Rams are getting better and they will score in this game. The Redskins never play well in Edward Jones Dome or indeed against the Rams. I'm thinking about that and last years 9-7 home win for the Redskins when I predict a win here for the St. Louis Rams
    There will be pressure on Michael Vick but I just can't see the Eagles losing this one to the Jags who look below average to me. Philadelphia Eagles
    Cards don't look good at all, the Raiders don't either. Gradkowski will be on his backside a lot in this game. I think the Cards win this one easy even though I don't think they are much good. Arizona Cardinals
    The Chargers and their horrendous go to face another well coached outfit. The Seahawks were poor on the road last week but they looked electric at home in their season opener and I like their chances here. Seattle Seahawks
    The Colts put their week 1 loss behind them with an impressive performance in their home opener against a poor Giants side. The Broncos looked really good last week at home to the Seahawks. A win here would be huge for the Broncos and they have added Laurence Maroney to their running game and he should be ready to go this week. Bob Sanders is a huge loss for this game as Orton likes to throw short passes and he is always around when you go short. This game should be a cracker and I'm going for the Broncos just because visiting QBs always have a difficult time there with the high altitude. Denver Broncos

Sunday 26th September1:20am

The Dolphins have gotten off to a great start at 2-0 and this game is pretty similar to last weeks game in that they face a top D and an offense thats not that good at the minute. One big difference though is that they have home advantage. That Jets D will always keep them in games but Miami have a dual threat now with Marshall and a good running game. I've said the Dolphins were underrated coming into this season and I think they are the main threat to the Patriots for divisional honours especially after picking up what I'd call an extra win last week. There is one thing bugging me though and thats Sanchez' habit of playing well in night games. I'll predict with caution a win for the Miami Dolphins

Monday 27th September 1:20am

Packers have looked good so far and so have the Bears. This is a home game for the Bears though and they are very tough to beat at Soldier Field. Its a hard one to call but given the confidence running through that Bears team at the moment I got to go with them with their home advantage in a huge divisional rivarly game. Chicago Bears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

So far....

6-10 the week 1 :(

11-5 week 2 :)

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I think I was 10-6 week 1 and 11-5 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Sunday 26th September

Monday 27th September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Monday 27th September

Only me and landsleaving tipping the Falcons to beat the Saints, we're going against the grain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I'm 20-12 (10-6 both weeks) with this prediction craic so far so I must be doing something right! :D

Tennessee Titans @ New York Giants : Titans bounce back and CJ returns to form, Giants were ruthlessly exposed last sunday at Indy imo, if they struggled that badly to stop the perennially average Joseph Addai, imagine what CJ is going to do to them

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers : Steelers do it again, i really cannot understate how impressive they have been so far this year...

Cincinnati Bengals @ Carolina Panthers : Cincinnati win this one, Carolina look quite poor right now and the Bengals offence has too many weapons.

Cleveland Browns @ Baltimore Ravens : Not too hard to call, id be very surprised to see the Ravens drop one at home to cleveland

Dallas Cowboys @ Houston Texans : Houston have too much in the tank for Dallas... if Dallas couldn't stop Jay Cutler at home behind a crappy oline and with no running game, it's hard to figure how they're going to stop Matt Schaub on the road behind a good line and with Arian Foster to deal with. 0-3 start for "America's Team" and Jerry Jones is going to be seriously pissed off...

San Francisco 49ers @ Kansas City Chiefs : San Fran are coming off a crushing monday night loss and now travel to one of the hardest stadiums in the NFL to go to... Cassel is the better QB in the contest for a change and the KC running game gets it done.

Detroit Lions @ Minnesota Vikings : Upset pick of the week! Detroit have come tantalisingly close to a win the last 2 weeks and Minnesota have looked a bit of a mess really, this week they finally get over the line.

Buffalo Bills @ New England Patriots : Hmm, the pats or what is probably the worst team in the NFL right now? (at least the rams have bradford now)... I wonder...

Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints : Falcons push this, but SB champs generally start very hot and the serious homefield advantage of the Superdome carries the Saints over the line again

Washington Redskins @ St. Louis Rams : Washington pull this off on the back of a strong McNabb performance but they make hard work of it, due to Shanahan teams often having a tendency to take it a bit easy against clearly inferior teams

Philadelphia Eagles @ Jacksonville Jaguars: Probably a blowout, the jags dont really bother unless it's a divisional rivalry game or something high profile like a home opener

Oakland Raiders @ Arizona Cardinals: Cards look awful and Bruce Godkowski is starting. A vastly improved Mc Fadden gashes their run D while Aso gets at least one pick due to Anderson badly trying to key in on Fitz.

San Diego Chargers @ Seattle Seahawks: Much harder than expected for San Diego as Qwest field once again proves to be a nightmare for opposing offences... I expect SD to pull it out but it is no foregone conclusion given how SD struggled with crowd noise in week one.

Indianapolis Colts @ Denver Broncos : This depends a lot on whether or not (future HOFer) Champ Bailey is fit to play or not... if he is, then he can hold Reggie Wayne to a quiet day and keep the game a lot closer...I actually think my Broncos are capable of pulling this one off, in light of how Kyle Orton is playing, but only if Bailey is fit. There is no way we can keep up if both Dallas Clark and Wayne are able to go off.

New York Jets @ Miami Dolphins : No Revis and Pace for the Jets and Miami are at home... as good as the jets defence is, its missing a key component in Revis and the man who probably will go up against Marshall in his absence is Cromartie, who once allowed Marshall 18 catches in a game... Miami's defence isn't bad either and Sanchez can be easily confused, something Mike Nolan is more than capable of doing...

Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears: Close game.. it will be loud and hostile and Chicago are playing very well, but this will be a true test of Rodgers and the Pack's SB contention, and one they pass imo. Clay Matthews has 6 sacks already and will likely rack up more against a woeful Bears oline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

gamepass is free this weekend btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

As is Sky Sports for anybody that doesn't have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

How is this for weird, Minnesota face Detroit at 6. Meanwhile in major league baseball Minnesota are playing Detroit at 6!

cooker3 wrote: »
    How is this for weird, Minnesota face Detroit at 6. Meanwhile in major league baseball Minnesota are playing Detroit at 6!
    Very weird. NFL wins imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Coll79

No contest. Football all the way.

That Gamepass trial might be free for today. But you still have to give them your credit card details and information so be careful. Happy with sky sports myself

A nice stream of Red Zone will do me the grandest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Archimedes wrote: »
    A nice stream of Red Zone will do me the grandest :)

http://www.atdhe.net/24861/watch-red-zone-channel

Cheers man, but I've had it bookmarked since Week 1. Fantastic service! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Watch out if you sign up for it. Unless canceled by September 30th you will be billed 240 bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,191 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Gamepass is making me drool. I'll definitely be treating myself to a week pass whenever I can't find a decent bears stream.

I've got Cincy v Carolina, Vikes v Lions, Redzone and Falcons v Saints all running on the one screen :eek:.

Brady to Moss 7-3 Patriots. Very special touchdown for Randy, its his 150th. Only Jerry Rice and Randy have 150 receiving touchdowns.

It's so nice to be be justifiably excited about the Pats tight end situation for the first time in so long. Hernandez having a great game so far, was huge in that drive for the Moss TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ok it's the Browns but Ravens looking good, up 7-3

Flacco looks to have put last weeks disaster behind him.
    Looking sharp

Beautiful pass to Boldin for a TD

Brett Favre in interception shocker

Wow, what a catch from Winslow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Archimedes wrote: »
    Cheers man, but I've had it bookmarked since Week 1. Fantastic service! :)

Aye. The quality of streams has really increased since I 2 years ago when I was looking for them. There is not 1 game I haven't been able to watch along with redzone.

Advertisement