Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 euro fine for 2 euro ticket!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Seloth wrote: »
    I dont care about what party is incharge of the government,why the **** do we have a system where any person should have to pay somthing 500% more expensive for the original price as of a mistake

pretty sure it's 5000% ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Nope, it's 4900% "more expensive" than the ticket.

[/pedantics]

If you really want to be pedantic, it is actually 5000% more expensive, as he stated that he still had to pay the original 2 euro, therefore 102 was the total, which is 5000% more expensive than 2 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I know excactly what your on about OP. Mature student here myself who has gotten the train for the past 3 years into college (NUIG).
    Last year they introduced a new line from Limerick (commuter type train) which goes about 10 mins later in the morning. I caught this instead of my earlier one. The queue was horrendous for the ticket office and the train arrived before I got to the top of the queue.

I hopped on the train anyway and was told inside it that they don't sell tickets on it and next time i'd be fined:eek:
    Fupping joke!!!, I told the conductor that I wouldn't accept a fine and he could follow me to the pay desk in Galway for his money if it happened like that again.....:mad:

Was i meant to stand there and watch the last morning train pull away cos there was too much demand at the ticket office.......I don't think so
    What if the ticket area is packed at the station and the train pulls in as your standing there????
    give yourself more time in the mornings like the rest of us do or buy on line - don't give the ticket checker a headache cos you turn up the last minute, what did everyone else in the queue for tickets do :confused:
    Show up earlier. The train has a set departure time. It's up to you to be there in good time for it.

Jesus H Christ! Is Holierthanthouitis catching if you spend too much time on AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I love the way many are pointing out how I get the train everyweekend yet fail also fail to see how I stated I last got on in that station in March,my usual station being a totally diffrent one,being infact a 20 min train journey away.
    IE employee here.

There is a difference between the guy with the portable ticket machine (he's a "Ticket Checker" by job title) and the RPU guys.

The checker is on a specific train for its whole trip and his job is to check that everyone has a valid ticket and sell them one if they don't, he doesn't issue fines any more.

The RPU units are usually a team of two guys who get on and off of trains at various stops and check to see if everyone has a valid ticket and issues fines if they don't. They won't listen to excuses because, like the TV license guy, they've heard them all.

It's always been the policy of IE that passengers should have a valid ticket when they board a service if they are boarding at a station that has ticketing facilities or they run the risk of being fined. This is outlined in the Passengers Charter and is usually posted up in most stations.

The OP could try to appeal their fine as they have nothing to lose by doing so but i wouldn't be too hopeful.

I've been sold a ticket by the "RPU" before though,I came on to the train from a stop that does not have a ticket machine and they gave me a lil paper slip.

Thanks for the tip though,I was planning on doing so and I'm sure if I explain my case with reason they should hopfully see I'm explaining the truth...then again :rolleyes:.

But yeah,I've noticed allot of other students mention this about trains leaving as of busy ques.I had to take the train to my secondary school and often I was late as of this reason!The trains never wait and we do not have the time to spend waiting for the enxt one either,They should really cop on and either speed up the process,allow for purchase on the train or do the decent thing and wait That extra two minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭notonlybutalso

the problem with i.e. Is that there is no competition. They can just do what they like because if you use a train it will be one of theirs. The other thing is when they do ask to check your ticket, they ask you in a tone that asumes you dont have one. I find a good few of the staff to be quite rude. There is one perticular prick with a munster accent that works in houston station that i dislike. And another smart prick with grey hair with a dublin accent that works as a host on the cork train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

should have given the man a fake name, your not required by law to provide ID to an Irish Rail employee...jobsworths..
    Actually you are. Failure may result in arrest.
    the problem with i.e. Is that there is no competition.
    Walk, bike, car, bus, plane - all compete with trains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

People don't know how to stand up for themselves these days. Ask anyone in a so called position of power their full name and ask to see their identification and threaten them with going to who ever is above them in the chain of command and they'll run away with their tail between their legs. Works with Gardaí and all.

If you're in the right and can explain your situation they'll back the fuck down.

OP, compain about the fine to who ever is in charge of the people giving about fines and then complain about the guy who gave you a fine.

victor i meant other train operators. SMART HOLE.

NIR and Veolia?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Markom5a

Seriouly glad the op started a thread about I.E! I am a student too and was charged 72 euro from hueston to tralee! I explained to the women I am a student however my student travel card is in the post(and still f*cking is actually!!!) and since I was due to start college the next week I had no student id so would she be willing to sell me a student ticket? She stared at me as if I had three heads while chewing gum and said no. I said so you expect me a first year student to cough up 70 quid on the spot. "yeah" comes the answer, I asked her was she joking again a short answer "no". Anyway I then told her that I.E is a joke and I'll be walking next time and thanks for the lovley customer service!

Serioulsy need to get rid of the monopoly in this country!

B.T.W. I my dad bought me the ticket over the phone and we've sent a letter trying to claim some of it back, but I won't hold my breath!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

I remember being a student in the early 90's, I had hurt my leg and had a crutch. Thursday evening was catching the Tralee train from Dublin. Foolishly had 3 bags with me so I was hobbing slowly towards the ticket checker.

As I hobbled Dick spring and 3 others passed me by, The ticket checker nodded at them and let them by. I then reached the same ticket checker and had to produce my ticket and student card.

Now I would not have had a problem doing such a thing if Deputy Spring and his party had to do the same but they didn't.

Some Irish Rail employees have always enjoyed the power they have over certain sections of their travelling custom. They have no problem getting fines off of sudents but when there's drunk or high individuals causing mayham (common enough on the Cork Train!) They're nowhere to be found.

I Have no time for fare dodgers but When someone makes an honest effort there should be some lee way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm not sure why fake street doesn't have another letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

Irish Rail is the biggest travesty of a company I have ever seen in my life. With our road network at the moment I would shut down every single line, and dig up the tracks so that no politician can ever get a vote and therefore try and repoen this Anglo size hole of a cash abyss. The level of ineffeciency apparent is truely shocking. Personally I think I do not know how any one can work for that company and not feel that they are conducting an almost armed robbery of normal citizens. Truely discraceful, and don't give me the Nazi excuse of "oh well I worked a clean shift," horse poo, all you employees are complicit, all.

OP challenge the fine, if that fails challenge the fine in court, if that fails appeal it, I will both defend you and pay your fine if you fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

personally, i think its a ****e service here on the trains.

i was in london recently and just made the gatwick express, on board there is a inspector that sells you tickets at no extra charge. no hassles no problems. and they accept credit cards at no extra cost.

why cant they have some sort of a service like that here instead of a "revenue protection unit"?

customers are in a rush, have to get from a to b. the op is being honest and the attitude of the "revenue protection unit" is up ones arse.

one of the earlier posters said that if there is queue at the ticket desk and your train is about to leave....what do you do? wait another few hours for the next train?

memo to the op - they are not the gardai. don't tell them your name next time if it happens again, you are not obliged to do so anyway. tell them to remain calm and that you will pay the correct fair at your destination or right now.

i wonder if they issue you with the fine, would they accept it there and then - if you happen to have it on you?

Victor wrote: »
    NIR and Veolia?
    Veolia are the luas. Thats a tram. Nir is only belfast route. So again victor you are WRONG.

Veolia are the luas. Thats a tram. Nir is only belfast route. So again victor you are WRONG.
    No, I'm right, you're narrow minded and uninformed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veolia_Transport

Markom5a wrote: »
    Seriouly glad the op started a thread about I.E! I am a student too and was charged 72 euro from hueston to tralee! I explained to the women I am a student however my student travel card is in the post(and still f*cking is actually!!!) and since I was due to start college the next week I had no student id so would she be willing to sell me a student ticket? She stared at me as if I had three heads while chewing gum and said no. I said so you expect me a first year student to cough up 70 quid on the spot. "yeah" comes the answer, I asked her was she joking again a short answer "no".
    You are only entitled to a student fare with a Student Travel Card. Alternatively, you can get a webfare for €10-36 single.
    Anyway I then told her that I.E is a joke and I'll be walking next time and thanks for the lovley customer service!
    287 km @ 5km/h = about a week's walking
    B.T.W. I my dad bought me the ticket over the phone and we've sent a letter trying to claim some of it back, but I won't hold my breath!
    I don't really see this working.

narrow minded in what way? I.E. Is the republics national rail operator. You cant include the luas as an example. And as for the belfast route. Its one service/route run by two operators . It exits by its means. And cant be included in terms of competiton to irish rail. WHEN DID YOU LAST GET A LUAS TO SLIGO?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

those trains go 287 in your dreams mate! I have a sat nav ive brought about 30 times on the train i tells me what speed we go. 98 is the top we got. Ur wrong again!

he didn't say 287 km/h he said 287 km at 5 km/h. Big difference

those trains go 287 in your dreams mate! I have a sat nav ive brought about 30 times on the train i tells me what speed we go. 98 is the top we got. Ur wrong again!
    OK IM WAY OFF WITH THE TRAIN SPEED. Point taken. U got me there victor.

• Advertisement

its still not great value for money in my opinion. If u work weekly in one place and use a train to get home for the weekend, its damn expensive on a weekly basis. The web fare is good value if the times suit. But if work times come into play and you get a cheap fare one way and a top end fare the other thats between 41 and 46 euro. Weekly its expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

Seloth wrote: »
    Just had to get this out of my system as its keeping me up and I'm quite pissy about it,

So after being quite sick for the past few previous days,I did not travel back tl College till today,only being in my third week..

So on the way into Cork city where I was to get a bus up to limerick my mother asks if its ok if I take the train for the rest of the journey as she was running late for work so I said no problem.So I'm dropped off at the platform,in which the last time I had gotten on there was in march and for the year before that, it had no ticket machine so naturally I assumed it still didn't have it.

So happily I hope on the onto the train,which arrived just as I cross the bridge over the track,and upon entering the train I see the "REVENUE PROTECTION UNIT" a.k.a. the ticketman standing by the entrance,and to my knowledge I was going to purchase my two euro ticket into the city when he was to walk up and down inspecting.

So quickly he approaches me,asking for my ticket,and I say "Could I have a ticket into town please"and to which he replies "We don't sell tickets on the train any more,You should have gotten it at the station!".I explain to him that when ever I/ve gotten on the platform there had been no machine to which he stated there had been for 5 months,with signs even explain there was a ticket machine...Now wait,5 months ago it was March and I had gotten the train from there on my way into school,to which there never was a machine,let alone signs which would have lasted 5 months.

So there he goes taking down my details,after I explain to him I had all intention to pay for my ticket,but no he had none of it.Meanwhile an Asian tourist and two 13-14 year old scobes where snickering away,and at the thought right so,a 100 euro fine for not paying a two euro fare!,WTF! is that fecking about!And too add insult to injury the fare is added to the fine so its now a 102 euro fine ><.

I dont care about what party is incharge of the government,why the **** do we have a system where any person should have to pay somthing 500% more expensive for the original price as of a mistake,Im just starting out in ****in college,I dont have 100 euro to bloody well throw about over a feckin mistake.I'm oly just after turning 19 a month and I feel like a ole fart saying this but how has Ireland become so feckin impersonal in such a short period,in which I must add wtf is with the PC!Your a ticketman..Not a revenue protection unit..Are you a guard,soldier,securityguard,merc?No your not...do you have a gun?No,well of course not your not protecting anything!,You may claim to no longer sell tickets((Which I know you bloody well do!))but you still check them on a mode of transport so your a bloody ticketman!..or sorry Ticketperson you have to say these days ><((There are some decent people working on the trians,but the majority...Your all moody,moping basterds!)).

Paying a 100 euro fine for a semi-state company that hires rude arseholes,working on a transport system which is always late,dirty and overpriced((from my actual home town its 6 euro return once you turn 16..what teen let alone many adults can afford that everyso often!)) honestly makes me feel sick!.**** you iarnrod eireann...**** you!

ticket man lol, my name sir is Jesus Christ. My address sir is 123 fake street.

lol - train ticket man, just spit in his face, he has no authority.
    You're very silly if you gave him your real details and deserve the 100 euro fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

How so do I deserve a fine for giving honest details.
    I am angry and pissed off about this but I dont feel the need to act like a knacker in doing so.

But yeah,Most of the staff in the cork station are dicks!THere are a few lovely people but over all they are...blah!

Advertisement