Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 euro fine for 2 euro ticket!

Options
  • 23-09-2010 3:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Just had to get this out of my system as its keeping me up and I'm quite pissy about it,

So after being quite sick for the past few previous days,I did not travel back tl College till today,only being in my third week..

So on the way into Cork city where I was to get a bus up to limerick my mother asks if its ok if I take the train for the rest of the journey as she was running late for work so I said no problem.So I'm dropped off at the platform,in which the last time I had gotten on there was in march and for the year before that, it had no ticket machine so naturally I assumed it still didn't have it.

So happily I hope on the onto the train,which arrived just as I cross the bridge over the track,and upon entering the train I see the "REVENUE PROTECTION UNIT" a.k.a. the ticketman standing by the entrance,and to my knowledge I was going to purchase my two euro ticket into the city when he was to walk up and down inspecting.

So quickly he approaches me,asking for my ticket,and I say "Could I have a ticket into town please"and to which he replies "We don't sell tickets on the train any more,You should have gotten it at the station!".I explain to him that when ever I/ve gotten on the platform there had been no machine to which he stated there had been for 5 months,with signs even explain there was a ticket machine...Now wait,5 months ago it was March and I had gotten the train from there on my way into school,to which there never was a machine,let alone signs which would have lasted 5 months.

So there he goes taking down my details,after I explain to him I had all intention to pay for my ticket,but no he had none of it.Meanwhile an Asian tourist and two 13-14 year old scobes where snickering away,and at the thought right so,a 100 euro fine for not paying a two euro fare!,WTF! is that fecking about!And too add insult to injury the fare is added to the fine so its now a 102 euro fine ><.

I dont care about what party is incharge of the government,why the **** do we have a system where any person should have to pay somthing 500% more expensive for the original price as of a mistake,Im just starting out in ****in college,I dont have 100 euro to bloody well throw about over a feckin mistake.I'm oly just after turning 19 a month and I feel like a ole fart saying this but how has Ireland become so feckin impersonal in such a short period,in which I must add wtf is with the PC!Your a ticketman..Not a revenue protection unit..Are you a guard,soldier,securityguard,merc?No your not...do you have a gun?No,well of course not your not protecting anything!,You may claim to no longer sell tickets((Which I know you bloody well do!))but you still check them on a mode of transport so your a bloody ticketman!..or sorry Ticketperson you have to say these days ><((There are some decent people working on the trians,but the majority...Your all moody,moping basterds!)).

Paying a 100 euro fine for a semi-state company that hires rude arseholes,working on a transport system which is always late,dirty and overpriced((from my actual home town its 6 euro return once you turn 16..what teen let alone many adults can afford that everyso often!)) honestly makes me feel sick!.**** you iarnrod eireann...**** you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Real criminals don't get caught :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Pdfile wrote: »
    Real criminals don't get caught :cool:

lol fudge you I'm innocent :p.

What annoys me is I had the two euro ready to give to the guy ><

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Why didnt you just give a fake name and address?

They ask for ID and I get the train evey weekend when Im at home anyway so there would be no chance of getting away.Also again I assumed as I did nothing wrong I must jsut get a warning,,but no I get this :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Why didnt you just give a fake name and address?

Stop giving away the tricks of the trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Seloth wrote: »
    They ask for ID and I get the train evey weekend when Im at home anyway so there would be no chance of getting away.Also again I assumed as I did nothing wrong I must jsut get a warning,,but no I get this :mad:

So what if you say "I don't carry ID".

I mean, if you don't have €2 for a ticket, what makes him think you have a wallet with ID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

So... you wander into a train station, not ask the employee if the policy of paying has changed in two years and are pissed off that you didn't ask?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So what if you say "I don't carry ID".

I mean, if you don't have €2 for a ticket, what makes him think you have a wallet with ID?

I did have the money,But I'm guessing you mena if he thought I didnt...Well bleh tbh I'm a honest person((Which I know I'll get some stig for saying that here)).

So... you wander into a train station, not ask the employee if the policy of paying has changed in two years and are pissed off that you didn't ask?

It was a platform...not a station,theres not even an office,jsut a small inlet for the rain and no I expected to pay,but on the train,the last time I ahd gotten on in this station was in march,so I didnt expect there to be a ticket machine there if there was none for over a year!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

You no they have a high fine to get people to buy tickets if the fine was something small people would not pay and take the chance as the amount of times you would get away with it would out weigh the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

To be honest i've never heard of paying on the train in anywhere in ireland.

secondly were you rude to the guy when you explained that last time you bought the ticket on the train? (although some of these guys it wouldnt matter how nice you were)

You should have said you had no id and give a fake name or atleast argued with him till the next stop and just get off the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

If anyone's thinking they should read it all............don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I did have the money,But I'm guessing you mena if he thought I didnt...Well bleh tbh I'm a honest person((Which I know I'll get some stig for saying that here)).

You said you hoped onto the train. Try and explain/try harder next time (whatever the case is).

On reflection... edit that post, you lied too much in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Just had to get this out of my system as its keeping me up and I'm quite pissy about it,

So after being quite sick for the past few previous days,I did not travel back tl College till today,only being in my third week..

So on the way into Cork city where I was to get a bus up to limerick my mother asks if its ok if I take the train for the rest of the journey as she was running late for work so I said no problem.So I'm dropped off at the platform,in which the last time I had gotten on there was in march and for the year before that, it had no ticket machine so naturally I assumed it still didn't have it.

So happily I hope on the onto the train,which arrived just as I cross the bridge over the track,and upon entering the train I see the "REVENUE PROTECTION UNIT" a.k.a. the ticketman standing by the entrance,and to my knowledge I was going to purchase my two euro ticket into the city when he was to walk up and down inspecting.

So quickly he approaches me,asking for my ticket,and I say "Could I have a ticket into town please"and to which he replies "We don't sell tickets on the train any more,You should have gotten it at the station!".I explain to him that when ever I/ve gotten on the platform there had been no machine to which he stated there had been for 5 months,with signs even explain there was a ticket machine...Now wait,5 months ago it was March and I had gotten the train from there on my way into school,to which there never was a machine,let alone signs which would have lasted 5 months.

So there he goes taking down my details,after I explain to him I had all intention to pay for my ticket,but no he had none of it.Meanwhile an Asian tourist and two 13-14 year old scobes where snickering away,and at the thought right so,a 100 euro fine for not paying a two euro fare!,WTF! is that fecking about!And too add insult to injury the fare is added to the fine so its now a 102 euro fine ><.

I dont care about what party is incharge of the government,why the **** do we have a system where any person should have to pay somthing 500% more expensive for the original price as of a mistake,Im just starting out in ****in college,I dont have 100 euro to bloody well throw about over a feckin mistake.I'm oly just after turning 19 a month and I feel like a ole fart saying this but how has Ireland become so feckin impersonal in such a short period,in which I must add wtf is with the PC!Your a ticketman..Not a revenue protection unit..Are you a guard,soldier,securityguard,merc?No your not...do you have a gun?No,well of course not your not protecting anything!,You may claim to no longer sell tickets((Which I know you bloody well do!))but you still check them on a mode of transport so your a bloody ticketman!..or sorry Ticketperson you have to say these days ><((There are some decent people working on the trians,but the majority...Your all moody,moping basterds!)).

Paying a 100 euro fine for a semi-state company that hires rude arseholes,working on a transport system which is always late,dirty and overpriced((from my actual home town its 6 euro return once you turn 16..what teen let alone many adults can afford that everyso often!)) honestly makes me feel sick!.**** you iarnrod eireann...**** you!

Appeal the fine, explain things just as you have here but without the xxxx and you@ll be fine. I was on atrain two weeks ago and an old couple said the exacct same as you; we could always pay the fare en-route. They didn't get charged extra, and no fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

I dont care about what party is incharge of the government,why the **** do we have a system where any person should have to pay somthing 500% more expensive for the original price as of a mistake

Hate to break it to ya OP, but your fine is 5000% more expensive than the ticket

2 euro = 100%
    10 euro = 500%
    100 euro = 5000%

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Handyman1

Oranage2 wrote: »
    To be honest i've never heard of paying on the train in anywhere in ireland.

You SHOULD try getting the first train from limerick to dublin at 5am... the ticket office dont open till 6am so what would you do wait for the next train or just jump on :rolleyes:

its not rocket sceince dude if the train is leaving you jump on... Op i feel your pain please dont be feeling your in the wrong when you hear some of these idiots reply

soz's oranage2.. I didnt read your whole reply-please forgive me

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

€100 is ridiculous.... sure a speeding fine is cheaper, €80! and that's dangerous driving with the possibility of causing harm to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

You got on to a train without buying a ticket and you got a fine.
    Seems like a fair procedure to me.
    I bet every fare dodger has some excuse or another. Your's is fair to middleing; write to them to explain, you might be left off (leave out the insults and expletives), but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Throw the 2 euro at the thick cunt and tell him to fuck off.

He cant do anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you'd read out your post to him I guarantee he would have let you go by the time you'd got half-way through.

Rycn wrote: »

OP, now can you understand why they can be so strict?
    This is the type of scumbag behaviour that they have to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

You ask 'what kind of country charges a fine of 500% the initial fee'.

Answer: Every single one would charge much more.

You were charged 5000% which I believe is a great amount for any fine. You didn't pay your fare and got caught, I'm delighted. If everone paid their fares properly, Iarnród Éireann wouldn't be as totally ****e as it is. Your going to college, grow the fúck up and accept responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

should have given the man a fake name, your not required by law to provide ID to an Irish Rail employee...jobsworths..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Rycn wrote: »
    ...Except having your name and address, have you charged with technical assault or breach of the peace as well?

Do we really think we can just always throw stuff at others and get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

dvpower wrote: »
    You got on to a train without buying a ticket and you got a fine.

you do realise that for decades in Ireland you were able to get on a train without a ticket and pay for your ticket on the train?

in fact, that up until very recently you could to the very same on the very route the OP is talking about, and that you can still do this on alot of routes that don't have automated tellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Take it to a higher up and complain that you used to have to pay for the train on the actual train.

It's not a silly assumption for you to have made, despite various signs and such. If a ticket is required beforehand, they should have barriers accepting tickets (especially after changing policy). You had no reason to believe things had changed. When the change happened doesn't matter, because it was the first time you had travelled after.

Pay your fare. Don't pay the fine (which is ridiculously high).

you do realise that for decades in Ireland you were able to get on a train without a ticket and pay for your ticket on the train?

in fact, that up until very recently you could to the very same on the very route the OP is talking about, and that you can still do this on alot of routes that don't have automated tellers?
    I realise that. On this particular route there is a requirement that you buy a ticket up front.

I like public transport that operates on a trust system; no barriers, little ot no checking; people are treated like adults. The flip side of these systems is that if you either try and get away with your fare or dont pay it when you're suppossed to, you get a fine. Its really very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

ClutchIt wrote: »
    You ask 'what kind of country charges a fine of 500% the initial fee'.

Answer: Every single one would charge much more.

You were charged 5000% which I believe is a great amount for any fine. You didn't pay your fare and got caught, I'm delighted. If everone paid their fares properly, Iarnród Éireann wouldn't be as totally ****e as it is. Your going to college, grow the fúck up and accept responsibility.

So a company changes their policy, and he is just meant to know?

If Iarnród Éireann ran more efficiently, had good customer service and clear policies they wouldn't be totally ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

In fairness to the ticket inspector, he probably gets that excuse dozens of times a day. Everyone always "meant to get a ticket", and there's probably also an element of getting a catch making him look better and more efficient to his employers, so I can see why they don't sell tickets on the train as it defeats the purpose of having Inspectors and fines.

The public transport system is crap in this country, pretty below par with other countries, however whatever system you go on you'll have to get a ticket somewhere. They have offices, ticket machines and online booking facilities so its almost difficult not to buy a ticket.

Also Iarnrod Eireann are way over priced, and I never use them. If there's an alternative bus, tram or whatever, then I'd take advantage of that and their lower fares.

Advertisement