Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 euro fine for 2 euro ticket!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You deserve the fine for giving him your real name.

Theres a Mr. Mike Hunt somewhere that owes a lot of money to such people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

So a company changes their policy, and he is just meant to know?
    I doubt very much if Irish Rail ever had a policy that said you could get on a train at a station that has ticket facilities (Cork) and buy the ticket on board.

More likely that there are other stations on the route that didn't have ticket facilities and a practice of allowing all passengers pay for their tickets on board evolved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Seloth wrote: »
    So I'm dropped off at the platform,in which the last time I had gotten on there was in march and for the year before that, it had no ticket machine so naturally I assumed it still didn't have it.
    They ask for ID and I get the train evey weekend when Im at home anyway so there would be no chance of getting away.

Anyone else smell pork pies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Lapin wrote: »

No, the cops weren't called.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I sometimes get the Dublin-Waterford train. Previously people getting on in Carlow, I think it was, bought tickets on the train. They've changed that in the last 6 months or so though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

Your a ticketman..Not a revenue protection unit..Are you a guard,soldier,securityguard,merc?No your not...do you have a gun?No,well of course not your not protecting anything!

Revenue Protection Unit

I would have thought it was a bit obvious given his job title... He is protecting IR's revenue from fare-dodgers ;)

You assumed that there was no ticket machine, and, to assume is to make an ass out of you and me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

dvpower wrote: »
    I doubt very much if Irish Rail ever had a policy that said you could get on a train at a station that has ticket facilities (Cork) and buy the ticket on board.

More likely that there are other stations on the route that didn't have ticket facilities and a practice of allowing all passengers pay for their tickets on board evolved.

I might of misused to the word policy, but the point still stands. If before he could buy the ticket on-board at that station, there was no particular reason for him to believe this wasn't still the case.

Signs and machines are irrelevant, as he wouldn't have had a reason to look for them.

He knows now, so if he re-offended (and they have his details to check), they can fine him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Handyman1 wrote: »
    You SHOULD try getting the first train from limerick to dublin at 5am... the ticket office dont open till 6am so what would you do wait for the next train or just jump on :rolleyes:
    Eh, you can buy a ticket online and then collect it from one of the automatic teller machines.

Not really, I smell a student (which was clearly specified) whose travelling patterns are largely influenced by the academic calendar of their institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Signs and machines are irrelevant, as he wouldn't have had a reason to look for them.
    Perhaps they should have called out to each of their customer's homes and sat them down to explain the rules:rolleyes:
    He knows now, so if he re-offended (and they have his details to check), they can fine him.
    Everyone gets a free fare dodge once?

Here's what I do each time I use public transport.
    1. Attempt to buy a ticket in advance
    2. If there are no facilities to buy a ticket, pay my fare on the other end.

Its a really simple system; everyone should try it.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    Perhaps they should have called out to each of their customer's homes and sat them down to explain the rules:rolleyes:

No, but if you change the game half-way through, don't expect everyone too know.

It's quite simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

They'll fine you even if you're not technically caught, when you go up to the ticket office to pay at the other end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Lol dude I get on a train 5 stops before that usually,but on the way into the city my mother realised the time so I got dropped off there.

But yeah I know about the appeal so all should be well :).But still 100 euro is fairly harsh

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

kylith wrote: »
    I sometimes get the Dublin-Waterford train. Previously people getting on in Carlow, I think it was, bought tickets on the train. They've changed that in the last 6 months or so though.
    I get this train twice daily from Dublin to Carlow for college, and the guy who checks tickets always has a pack/side pouch with loads of tickets in it...I'd say he allows people to buy them on board, but one guy sitting behind me got fined last week because apparently he didnt have the right date on his ticket :rolleyes:

Irish public transport really is vastly overpriced, and the bus system especially is shoddy and buses never leave/arrive on time anywhere :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

some_dose wrote: »
    Hate to break it to ya OP, but your fine is 5000% more expensive than the ticket

2 euro = 100%
    10 euro = 500%
    100 euro = 5000%

Nope, it's 4900% "more expensive" than the ticket.

[/pedantics]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,549 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Nope, it's 4900% "more expensive" than the ticket.

[/pedantics]
    Not sure you are right...
    Didn't he have to pay 100 PLUS the price of the ticket = 102 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

As a matter of interest OP, if you had arrived at your destination and the inspector hadn't come around selling tickets, would you have still made a point to go looking for one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Biggins wrote: »
    ...Except having your name and address, have you charged with technical assault or breach of the peace as well?

Do we really think we can just always throw stuff at others and get away with it?
    What if he misses him and he picks it up?

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I get this train twice daily from Dublin to Carlow for college, and the guy who checks tickets always has a pack/side pouch with loads of tickets in it...I'd say he allows people to buy them on board, but one guy sitting behind me got fined last week because apparently he didnt have the right date on his ticket :rolleyes:

IE employee here.

There is a difference between the guy with the portable ticket machine (he's a "Ticket Checker" by job title) and the RPU guys.

The checker is on a specific train for its whole trip and his job is to check that everyone has a valid ticket and sell them one if they don't, he doesn't issue fines any more.

The RPU units are usually a team of two guys who get on and off of trains at various stops and check to see if everyone has a valid ticket and issues fines if they don't. They won't listen to excuses because, like the TV license guy, they've heard them all.

It's always been the policy of IE that passengers should have a valid ticket when they board a service if they are boarding at a station that has ticketing facilities or they run the risk of being fined. This is outlined in the Passengers Charter and is usually posted up in most stations.

The OP could try to appeal their fine as they have nothing to lose by doing so but i wouldn't be too hopeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 call the police

They ask for ID and I get the train evey weekend when Im at home anyway so there would be no chance of getting away.Also again I assumed as I did nothing wrong I must jsut get a warning,,but no I get this :mad:

you assumed you did nothing wrong, you travel every weekend and you don't know you can't buy tickets on the train any more :confused:
    did you buy a ticket every weekend ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yep, looks like he never buys a ticket, eh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

What do they do though, if anything, if someone hasn't got ID? How do they verify they've been given the correct details?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I know excactly what your on about OP. Mature student here myself who has gotten the train for the past 3 years into college (NUIG).
    Last year they introduced a new line from Limerick (commuter type train) which goes about 10 mins later in the morning. I caught this instead of my earlier one. The queue was horrendous for the ticket office and the train arrived before I got to the top of the queue.

I hopped on the train anyway and was told inside it that they don't sell tickets on it and next time i'd be fined:eek:
    Fupping joke!!!, I told the conductor that I wouldn't accept a fine and he could follow me to the pay desk in Galway for his money if it happened like that again.....:mad:

Was i meant to stand there and watch the last morning train pull away cos there was too much demand at the ticket office.......I don't think so

IE employee here.

There is a difference between the guy with the portable ticket machine (he's a "Ticket Checker" by job title) and the RPU guys.

The checker is on a specific train for its whole trip and his job is to check that everyone has a valid ticket and sell them one if they don't, he doesn't issue fines any more.

The RPU units are usually a team of two guys who get on and off of trains at various stops and check to see if everyone has a valid ticket and issues fines if they don't. They won't listen to excuses because, like the TV license guy, they've heard them all.

It's always been the policy of IE that passengers should have a valid ticket when they board a service if they are boarding at a station that has ticketing facilities or they run the risk of being fined. This is outlined in the Passengers Charter and is usually posted up in most stations.

The OP could try to appeal their fine as they have nothing to lose by doing so but i wouldn't be too hopeful.

What if the ticket area is packed at the station and the train pulls in as your standing there????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 call the police

The queue was horrendous for the ticket office and the train arrived before I got to the top of the queue.

I hopped on the train anyway and was told inside it that they don't sell tickets on it and next time i'd be fined:eek:
    Fupping joke!!!, I told the conductor that I wouldn't accept a fine and he could follow me to the pay desk in Galway for his money if it happened like that again.....:mad:

Was i meant to stand there and watch the last morning train pull away cos there was too much demand at the ticket office.......I don't think so

give yourself more time in the mornings like the rest of us do or buy on line - don't give the ticket checker a headache cos you turn up the last minute, what did everyone else in the queue for tickets do :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

What if the ticket area is packed at the station and the train pulls in as your standing there????

Show up earlier. The train has a set departure time. It's up to you to be there in good time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

.So I'm dropped off at the platform,in which the last time I had gotten on there was in march and for the year before that, it had no ticket machine so naturally I assumed it still didn't have it.

Assumption is the mother of all fúck up's.

I have never in 3 years of catching the train been late:(
    If anything, I drive my husband and 2 teenage sons nuts who catch the train with me cos I insist on being there 10 mins early!!!

Like the OP, I only use the train during college months as I drive the rest of the time. My incident happened during the summer and it was the first time I had caught the later commuter train which hadn't been in operation the last time I'd used the service and therefore I hadn't realised that unlike the "normal" train there is no facility to purchase a ticket onboard.

Usually I would have a monthly student ticket and since this incident I now make sure to renew it the night before it runs out to avoid a reoccurence!!

My point was I was early but the ticket queue was ridiculous and what else was I meant to do as the train pulled away?? I was more than willing to purchase the day ticket the other side of my destination and thought it was very unfair if like the OP I could've been fined for something which was basically outside of my control... I'm not a fare dodger and never have been

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

I don't know what's going on with all the negativity and snide comments in here. Seloth is a good friend of mine and I know he intended to buy a ticket - what would he gain by coming here and complaining about being fined when he never intended to buy one? Wouldn't he then expect to get fined? I'm not sure what the thinking behind this is, but it's bloody retarded.

We're both from Cobh and there is no ticket machine there - only an office, and sometimes that office will be closed, therefore we get our tickets on the train. So, it was natural for him to assume that he could get a ticket on the train up to Limerick, seeing as all his life he's been able to either get a ticket on the platform in Cobh, or get a ticket on the train up to the city. I know the guys have heard all the excuses and by default won't believe anyone when they plead innocence, but a little flexibility would be nice.

Seeing as you hadn't been there since March last, it's just bad luck you got fined, man. Do try the appeal as others have said - surely they can understand a simple misunderstanding. Try and explain about what happens on the Cobh train so they will know why you assumed you could get a ticket on the train.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Up untill the new trains/platform upgrades you could jump on the train and buy the ticket off the guy he even had on of those machines n all. Since the automated gate system is now in most stations their job is now changed. Sucks but you could and should appeal it.

Advertisement