Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Central Heating - Installation

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

JohnnieK wrote: »
    I think they are called The Alliance of Heating and Gas installers and as far as I can make out from the newsletter they are not in opposition to RGII but want them to be more tighter and to stop the redundant factry workers and taxi men and bakers from doing a GID because they are unemployed and calling them selves gas fitters and going out thinking they are servicing boilers and so on. There was a meeting in the Red Cow a few months back about it and Willy Wilson was at it.

True. from the 31st of next month you will have to show that you have a qualification in plumbing to get on to the GID course, and about time too..

If you go to the chevron training web site there is an important notice on its main page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

But RGII have the contract and are the legal "watch dog" of the domestic gas installer. How can an other organization take over with out due course? Are they like a lobby group?

I think they are more like a lobby group trying to stand up and kick them in the arse. Dont forget Corgi were ousted in the u.k.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

whats wrong with people talking about safety and experience ? because thats what it boils down to , if you let every tom dick and harry work on gas lines , you will see the results, and if you think that any self respecting gas fitter/ plumber want to be in a organization with handymen doing gas work , whatever their name is , i dont think so.

True. from the 31st of next month you will have to show that you have a qualification in plumbing to get on to the GID course, and about time too..
    Well thank God for that. I think it might be a bit late for the ones who are already in there. Some one told me once that when the 5 year retest comes up it will filter out all the dodgy ones.

I think they are more like a lobby group trying to stand up and kick them in the arse. Dont forget Corgi were ousted in the u.k.

Corgi went because they bit the hand that fed and got greedy, no pressure group had any impact and it was all there own doing.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected :o

Mod Snip.

Well thank God for that. I think it might be a bit late for the ones who are already in there. Some one told me once that when the 5 year retest comes up it will filter out all the dodgy ones.

yeah I believe so. I heard that down in METAC. while they had the hand out taken their money from them with a 100% pass rate.:rolleyes:

If you go to the chevron training web site there is an important notice on its main page.

It's a good thing, the only problem is nobody wants to do the course anymore, it getting to the stage where they will be offering two for the price of one, but it's a step in the right direction let's hope they can get on to that little question of what is the correct soundness procedure.

gary71 wrote: »
    Corgi went because they bit the hand that fed and got greedy, no pressure group had any impact and it was all there own doing.

I think I'll share this with you. Seen a hob today piped in Qualpex and no isolation valve:D The man wouldn't tell me who done it and said he was going to get the guy who done it to fix it so I capped the meter. About a half hour later I got a call from a man going crazy on the phone calling me this and that saying that he done it temporaraly (2 weeks ago) while he got some copper. I said how long dose it take him to get copper? He then proceeded to threaten me saying he would make sure I never get any work again. I got a call from the home owner around an hour later to fix it and he said he "was taken the matter further" with the original contractor.

• Advertisement

Mod Snip.

He used to be high up in Board Gais, he retired and took up the post of head of RGII.

I think I'll share this with you. Seen a hob today piped in Qualpex and no isolation valve:D The man wouldn't tell me who done it and said he was going to get the guy who done it to fix it so I capped the meter. About a half hour later I got a call from a man going crazy on the phone calling me this and that saying that he done it temporaraly (2 weeks ago) while he got some copper. I said how long dose it take him to get copper? He then proceeded to threaten me saying he would make sure I never get any work again. I got a call from the home owner around an hour later to fix it and he said he "was taken the matter further" with the original contractor.

I can see how he could make that mistake, I don't think they covered that on the GID.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

gary71 wrote: »
    It's a good thing, the only problem is nobody wants to do the course anymore, it getting to the stage where they will be offering two for the price of one, but it's a step in the right direction let's hope they can get on to that little question of what is the correct soundness procedure.

It's not 1 and 2, it's 2 and 5, accept it :P

ah write , a nice little no for him , nice an cushy , ok im glad there is a reg body , but they are doing nothing for us , taking our money charging us for the cert books like a royalty on every job , i hope the other gang get going and kick these fat cats out .

well thats someone who didnt know his soundness procedure..
    Its mad what some people will do. Ya should of got him reported to RGII and also got his taxi plate taken off him.:D

ah write , a nice little no for him , nice an cushy , ok im glad there is a reg body , but they are doing nothing for us , taking our money charging us for the cert books like a royalty on every job , i hope the other gang get going and kick these fat cats out .

If your not a fat cat yourself why worry about the couple of quid that the customer pays for the service cert??. at least everyone is covered then. safety!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Worcester are they silent running ? NO
    Are they 97% efficient ? NO

Labour & Parts is free on the 5 year Warranty with Viesmann
    Also Free on THE 10 YEAR warranty stainless steel heat exchanger

look its the facts they are the best on the market and thats fact, Dublin Gas are in negotiating a deal with the suppliers, ring them if you like to confirm , name supplied if required.

Manufacturers claiming things like 97% efficiency is like the MPG figures you get on cars. Your never going to achieve that. The evidence agrees:

http://www.sedbuk.com/

The first Veissman is 92nd on the list @ 91% efficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

This is getting silly ,worcester bosch have been guaranteeing their boilers for five years ,for a while now. As long as it's installed by a worcester installer.
    Worcester exchangers have been guaranteed for ten years for a long time.

The CDI has been on the market for twenthy years ,thats how long they've be on the market.

They also look well on a wall.

Spamming stuff gets boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

"The Alliance of Heating and Gas installers".

This is a play on the old name for Dublin Gas Company.
    Or to give it it's proper title "The Alliance & Dublin Consumers’ Gas Company"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Think things are getting muddled here between actual efficiency and seasonal efficiency, which are completely different

Most flue gas analysers will show 'burn efficiency' and most don't allow for casing loss etc, so will usually be 5-10% higher than the seasonal efficiency

SEDBUK (Seasonal Efficiency of Domestic Boilers in the UK)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 rookav

Finally bought a house. This one already has gas heating (although it would seem that boiler is knackered).

We're going to go ahead and get the boiler and heater controls upgraded.

I'm finding it difficult to get plumbers to come out and quote. I've had Bord Gais over and they quoted me 5k and said they couldn't do it before Christmas. Said "No" to them, as it's too expensive, they boiler the guy wanted to use wasn't one of the more recommended ones and he couldn't do it before Christmas.

So... any SEAI registered plumbers here that would like to quote for the following, please PM me:

1. Upgrade Boiler
    2. Upgrade Heating Controls
    3. Replace tank in hot-press with a higher capacity one
    4. Possibly replace original galvanised tanks in attic with plastic ones

It's worth noting that we want the boiler put in a different position to the existing one, so the pipes will have to be diverted slightly.

Thanks...

my plumber said 4 for that job . so your up a grand , i got mine done last year and got a great deal , new boiler / heating controls / hot water tank / and his deal is if you fit a new boiler why not change the radiators as well , it could work out expensive no he said , if you replace your down stairs rads he will replace your up stairs for free , we went for that deal. he is on the internet , i don't know whether i can say who it is on here as i got a ticking off the last time !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 rookav

my plumber said 4 for that job . so your up a grand , i got mine done last year and got a great deal , new boiler / heating controls / hot water tank / and his deal is if you fit a new boiler why not change the radiators as well , it could work out expensive no he said , if you replace your down stairs rads he will replace your up stairs for free , we went for that deal. he is on the internet , i don't know whether i can say who it is on here as i got a ticking off the last time !

could you PM me his information?

did you get a grant?

Advertisement