Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes & More Quotes by Atheists (sig fodder inside)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    robindch wrote: »
    ^^^ Ahh.... Hypatia.

Ohhhh...*add's to list of 'must see' films*.

I watched the first half a few months back - it's very good.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

"The vast majority of personal religious beliefs can be accurately predicted based solely on the beliefs of one's parents or the culture one is raised in... Religionists should ask themselves, 'Are my religious beliefs based on rationality and evidence or indoctrination?' "

— John Bice

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Most the regulars know that this is one of my personal favourite quotes of al time. So it's about time it got the zen treatment.

2012-07-26-feynman2.jpg?9d7bd4

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

217725.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anorexemon

What with 17 pages of quotes, I'm unsure if this or something similar has already been posted, so please forgive me if it is already here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

Apologies if its come up before but it's a good'un

393884_466080483426553_368656620_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    Apologies if its come up before but it's a good'un

393884_466080483426553_368656620_n.jpg

after listening to pale blue dot on audiobook, every Sagan quote us played out in his voice in my head. Like science's Morgan Freeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

255226_465433166811033_989231569_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Mahoosive image...
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/567021/219396.jpg

Anything you don't understand, you attribute to God. God for you is where you sweep away all the mysteries of the world, all the challenges to our intelligence. You simply turn your mind off and say God did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Actually said by Dr Arroway in Contact, but whatevs.

Carl Sagan wrote Contact.

Carl Sagan wrote Contact.
    I know, I've read it several times. It's been a while since I've needed to use the APA or similar but isn't the convention to cite the character rather than the scriptwriter or author when dealing with fiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I know, I've read it several times. It's been a while since I've needed to use the APA or similar but isn't the convention to cite the character rather than the scriptwriter or author when dealing with fiction?

Oh, I thought you didn't realise :o. I don't know what the convention is, but I imagine the quote carries more weight with Sagans' name after it rather than a fictional scientists name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I imagine the quote carries more weight with Sagans' name after it rather than a fictional scientists name.
    That's an interesting point. I'd imagine an scientific assertion certainly would carry more weight if the person was an "expert", but a quote in the form of a philosophical opinion should stand on it own I'd have thought.

Like those occasional great quotes you read attributed to -unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

150-Faith-is-a-cop-out.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Faith-is-a-cop-out ......

I wish Faith was an opt-in system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Oh, I thought you didn't realise :o. I don't know what the convention is, but I imagine the quote carries more weight with Sagans' name after it rather than a fictional scientists name.
    Sulla Felix is right. After all, if you wrote a novel in which one character was a bigot, you wouldn't want to hear his dialogue attributed to you as if you had said it yourself.

mikhail wrote: »
    Sulla Felix is right. After all, if you wrote a novel in which one character was a bigot, you wouldn't want to hear his dialogue attributed to you as if you had said it yourself.
    I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion. - Carl sagan.

I'm gonnaw troll reddit with that.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_mabn6gFU4z1rvzyvqo1_500.png

If you can read this, you're too close!

Finally Dawkins has been given the Zen treatment.

2012-09-18-dawkins.jpg?9d7bd4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

How stridently arrogant of him.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Jernal wrote: »
    Finally Dawkins has been given the Zen treatment.

Of all the things Dawkins says this has to be has worst and most philosophically shallow. I hate it. I don't at all feel lucky that I get the opportunity to die and I would rather a smarter better designed/evolve entity existed in my place. I don't feel sorry for those better people because they don't exist. If I didn't exist I wouldn't feel unlucky because there is no a priori me. It's also sanctimonious and paints a picture of life I personally find ugly.

Of all the things Dawkins says this has to be has worst and most philosophically shallow. I hate it. I don't at all feel lucky that I get the opportunity to die and I would rather a smarter better designed/evolve entity existed in my place. I don't feel sorry for those better people because they don't exist. If I didn't exist I wouldn't feel unlucky because there is no a priori me. It's also sanctimonious and paints a picture of life I personally find ugly.

I see where you're coming from and can't really disagree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Jernal wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from and can't really disagree with it.

I would class that outlook as humanist conservatism. The idea that you should love what you're given and not complain. It's the exact opposite thinking that brought me to atheism in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

f32ns.jpg

I ****ing love Louis CK.

TRqg4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I heard it first from Hitchens and it wouldn't surprise me if it originated with him, "don't swallow your moral code in tablet form"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Gbear wrote: »
    TRqg4.jpg

Didn't think that sounded like Wilde, so I did a bit of Googling and it's turned up some interesting results. Wilde isn't the first person that quote has been misattributed to: there are earlier examples attributed to Charles Darwin, but referring to mathematicians, not religion. Even earlier than that it's been used by Lord Bowen to describe metaphysics and by William James on philosophy. H. L. Mencken put it neatly when he said "A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it."

It seems likely to me that it was just a phrase in common use in the nineteenth century to describe anyone with a futile or pointless task. And, like a lot of phrases that come from the nineteenth century without a source attached, it's been attributed to Wilde, in the same way that any piece of anonymous British comedy winds up attributed to John Cleese.

(I took most of that information from Wikiquote on Charles Darwin.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Didn't think that sounded like Wilde, so I did a bit of Googling and it's turned up some interesting results. Wilde isn't the first person that quote has been misattributed to: there are earlier examples attributed to Charles Darwin, but referring to mathematicians, not religion. Even earlier than that it's been used to describe metaphysicians and the job of a judge. It seems likely to me that it was just a phrase in common use in the nineteenth century to describe anyone with a futile or pointless task.

I was thinking that myself Wilde actually said
    Religion does not help me. The faith that others give to what is unseen, I give to what I can touch and look at.

• Advertisement

Didn't think that sounded like Wilde, so I did a bit of Googling and it's turned up some interesting results. Wilde isn't the first person that quote has been misattributed to: there are earlier examples attributed to Charles Darwin, but referring to mathematicians, not religion. Even earlier than that it's been used by Lord Bowen to describe metaphysics and by William James on philosophy. H. L. Mencken put it neatly when he said "A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it."

It seems likely to me that it was just a phrase in common use in the nineteenth century to describe anyone with a futile or pointless task. And, like a lot of phrases that come from the nineteenth century without a source attached, it's been attributed to Wilde, in the same way that any piece of anonymous British comedy winds up attributed to John Cleese.

(I took most of that information from Wikiquote on Charles Darwin.)

Yeah, I was a bit suspicious but I googled it and it was attributed to him on several pages so I just went with it.

Soz:o

Advertisement