Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes & More Quotes by Atheists (sig fodder inside)

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

"The basis of your religion is injustice. The Son of God the pure, the immaculate, the innocent, is sacrificed for the guilty. This proves his heroism, but no more does away with man's sin that a boy's volunteering to be flogged for another would exculpate a dunce from negligence." - Lord Byron.

If you can read this, you're too close!

"Most Christian theologians have retreated from all things that their religion supposedly asserts; they take a much more 'modern' view than the average belivever. But by the time you've 'modernised' something like Christianity- starting off with 'Genesis was all just poetry' and ending up with 'Well, of course there's no such thing as a personal God' - there's not much point pretending that there's anything religious left. You might as well come clean and admit that you're an atheist with certain values, which are historical, cultural, biological and personal in origin, and have nothing to do with anything called God."

-Greg Egan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There's really nothing an agnostic can't do if he really doesn't know whether he believes in anything or not.
    -- Graham Chapman

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A propos of Graham Champan:

226772.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

You see, no one's going to help you Bubby, because there isn't anybody out there to do it. No one. We're all just complicated arrangements of atoms and subatomic particles - we don't live. But our atoms do move about in such a way as to give us identity and consciousness. We don't die; our atoms just rearrange themselves. There is no God. There can be no God; it's ridiculous to think in terms of a superior being. An inferior being, maybe, because we, we who don't even exist, we arrange our lives with more order and harmony than God ever arranged the earth. We measure; we plot; we create wonderful new things. We are the architects of our own existence. What a lunatic concept to bow down before a God who slaughters millions of innocent children, slowly and agonizingly starves them to death, beats them, tortures them, rejects them. What folly to even think that we should not insult such a God, damn him, think him out of existence. It is our duty to think God out of existence. It is our duty to insult him. **** you, God! Strike me down if you dare, you tyrant, you non-existent fraud! It is the duty of all human beings to think God out of existence. Then we have a future. Because then - and only then - do we take full responsibility for who we are. And that's what you must do, Bubby: think God out of existence; take responsibility for who you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Technically a deist I believe but I'm willing to look past that for such awesomeness.

282757_700b.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

480288_292574414187707_1537364978_n.jpg

Ain't that the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

^^^

Oh, to be able to give mutliple thanks! Good on you, Bannasidhe.

598629_302005473244601_1949553816_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Carl Sagan wrote:
    “You might imagine an uncharitable extraterrestrial observer looking down on our species... - with us excitedly chattering, "The Universe is created for us! We're at the center! Everything pays homage to us!" - and concluding that our pretensions are amusing, our aspirations pathetic, that this must be the planet of the idiots.”

• Advertisement

236271.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

That's a pretty thought. Nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

"All thinking men are atheists — Ernest Hemingway"

[Jackass] wrote: »
    "All thinking men are atheists — Ernest Hemingway"

The sexist old coot.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    The sexist old coot.

:pac:

OMG CHECK UR PRIVLAGE!

Pale blue dot is ZenPencils #100 :)

2013-01-21-sagan.jpg?9d7bd4

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Was just about to post it. :D

figured you might :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Jernal wrote: »
    Was just about to post it. :D

It's been about 10 mins, it deserves another post.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's been about 10 mins, it deserves another post.

How many PBD versions have we on this thread? Tomorrow or Thursday I shall go through the thread to see if we missed any obvious one. :D

<3 PBD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

No matter how many times I read or hear that passage, it never gets less powerful or beautiful. I think some day I'll have to set it for choir.

From "Thinking of Answers" by A.C Grayling, from the "proving a negative section".
    For a simple case of proving a negative, by the way, consider how you prove the absence of pennies in a piggy-bank. You break it open and look inside: it is empty. On what grounds would you assert nevertheless that there might possibly still be pennies in there, only you cannot see or hear or feel or spend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

I don't know if Joseph Heller was theist or not, but this quote from Catch-22 struck me as ripe for inclusion:
    There's nothing mysterious about it, He's not working at all. He's playing. Or else He's forgotten all about us. That's the kind of God you people talk about, a country bumpkin, a clumsy, bungling, brainless, conceited, uncouth hayseed. Good God, how much reverence can you have for a Supreme Being who finds it necessary to include such phenomena as phlegm and tooth decay in His divine system of Creation? What in the world was running through that warped, evil, scatological mind of His when He robbed old people of the power to control their bowel movements? Why in the world did He ever create pain?

Source: goodreads.com quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

lsNmED9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

From James Cameron:
    "I've sworn off agnosticism, which I now call cowardly atheism. I've come to the position that in the complete absence of any supporting data whatsover for the persistence of the individual in some spiritual form, it is necessary to operate under the provisional conclusion that there is no afterlife and then be ready to amend that if I find out otherwise."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I haven't heard this one before.
    From Ricky Gervais:
    "Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities."

"So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say 'Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…' If they say 'Just God. I only believe in the one God,' I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Kivaro wrote: »
    I haven't heard this one before.
    From Ricky Gervais:

Really? Pretty sure he stole that.

2013-05-21-caitlinmoran.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

As an atheist there probably nothing I hate more than other atheists preaching to me how I should live my life. One of the big flaws with the above story board is that it presupposes that aging is always going to be the lead cause of morbidity.

Advertisement