Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes & More Quotes by Atheists (sig fodder inside)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

255743.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

971264_658468034178627_449076513_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Obliq wrote: »

True story Miley Cyrus quoted that and got into a load of sh*t with her more religious fans - or more specifically the religious parents of her fans.

Linky.

Woah! That's quite a show of rebellion from Miley Cyrus seemingly.....linky from the comments below your linky:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2011/02/16/billy-ray-cyrus-scared-of-atheist-sign/

"So the sign that says atheists not only exist but are helping clean up litter on public roads was an indication to Billy Ray that he was about to be attacked by Satan?" :rolleyes:

Ps. How do you DO that changing the link name to something of your choosing? *confused smilie*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ps. How do you DO that changing the link name to something of your choosing? *confused smilie*

I too would like to know this.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I too would like to know this.

And here was me thinking you're mistress of all you survey. *Disillusioned smilie*. How the mighty have fallen :eek:

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Woah! That's quite a show of rebellion from Miley Cyrus seemingly.....linky from the comments below your linky:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2011/02/16/billy-ray-cyrus-scared-of-atheist-sign/

"So the sign that says atheists not only exist but are helping clean up litter on public roads was an indication to Billy Ray that he was about to be attacked by Satan?" :rolleyes:

[noparse]<What you want the text to be>[/noparse]

Example:

[noparse]Hey presto![/noparse]

Hey presto!

I presume that's what you were asking about :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No prob. :)

There are two ways.
    The first is to write the link like so.
    "RTE"
    Then highlight it and click the insert link icon.
    You should see a dialog box telling you insert the URL of your link.
    Here type "www.rte.ie"

The second way is recognise how the linking command works.

[noparse]<<WORDS YOU WANT TO APPEAR>>[/noparse]

so it'd be :
    [noparse]RTE IS ANTI-CATHOLIC.[/noparse]
    RTE IS ANTI-CATHOLIC.

And here was me thinking you're mistress of all you survey. *Disillusioned smilie*. How the mighty have fallen :eek:

You have obviously never seen me 'play' basketball.

Cool! Thanks folks - off to find a link to test it :)

• Advertisement

Not you then Bann?

Did I do it???!

Go me :cool:

Correction. Messed up linky :-( Try again..... Not you then Bann?

Stupid link. http://www.atheismresource.com/2012/pro-womens-basketball-player-comes-out-as-an-atheist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Jernal wrote: »
    True story Miley Cyrus quoted that and got into a load of sh*t with her more religious fans - or more specifically the religious parents of her fans.

Linky.

Are you a Miley Cyrus fan?
    Tell us more.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stanley 2

If one man dies its a tragady if a million die its a statistic
    Stalin good atheist

stanley 2 wrote: »
    Stalin good atheist
    Strange that you'd consider Stalin a good atheist. Anyways.....
    Russian historians have no record of the lines, "Death of one man is a tragedy. Death of a million is a statistic," commonly attributed by English-language dictionaries to Josef Stalin.

Source

You need to try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

stanley 2 wrote: »
    Stalin good atheist

I prefer Marilyn Manson's version in The Fight Song...

"The death of one is a tragedy (x3)
    The death of millions is just a statistic"
    But because of the way it's said and the music and so on it sounds like "jus' sick, just sick"... at least to my ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

kiffer wrote: »
    I prefer Marilyn Manson's version in The Fight Song...

"The death of one is a tragedy (x3)
    The death of millions is just a statistic"
    But because of the way it's said and the music and so on it sounds like "jus' sick, just sick"... at least to my ear.

I prefer
    "Tragedy is when I lose my job. Comedy is when I fall into an open manhole and die".

I can't remember who said it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

koth wrote: »
    You need to try harder.

Proof he said it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Robert Green Ingersoll

Plenty of quotes. Here's a small sample:
    The clergy know, that I know, that they know, that they do not know. -- Robert Green Ingersoll: Vol. 2. Title page of The Dresden Edition

The man who does not do his own thinking is a slave, and is a traitor to himself and to his fellow-men. -- "The Liberty of Man, Woman and Child"

The liberty of man is not safe in the hands of any church. Wherever the Bible and sword are in partnership, man is a slave. -- "Some Mistakes of Moses"

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Mwmkv.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

1383655_10153308538635527_13767582_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

robert-a-heinlein-the-most-preposterous-notion.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

So, re-reading a bit of Hitch thanks to that clusterfsck thread. Surprised a few of these aren't already in here. :pac:

From God is not Great:
    And here is the point, about myself and my co-thinkers. Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely solely upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason. We may differ on many things, but what we respect is free inquiry, openmindedness, and the pursuit of ideas for their own sake.
    There are days when I miss my old convictions as if they were an amputated limb. But in general I feel better, and no less radical, and you will feel better too, I guarantee, once you leave hold of the doctrinaire and allow your chainless mind to do its own thinking.
    Nothing optional—from homosexuality to adultery—is ever made punishable unless those who do the prohibiting (and exact the fierce punishments) have a repressed desire to participate. As Shakespeare put it in King Lear, the policeman who lashes the whore has a hot need to use her for the very offense for which he plies the lash.

1462972_581677405253300_1723481455_n.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

1378257_383105431820129_1946933394_n.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

350054.jpg

robindch wrote: »
    350054.jpg

Did Alan Shatter not get the memo?

:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Frank Herbert's monumental Dune is fifty years old this year. If you haven't read it, then stop internetting, go find a copy and read it.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jul/03/dune-50-years-on-science-fiction-novel-world
    http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jan/30/frank-herbert-dune-at-50-sci-fi-masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

"Man lived on the planet — [placing his fingers an inch apart], this is 5,000 years of semi-recorded history. And God and the Bible, that came in somewhere around the middle, maybe 2,000. This is the last 2000, this is what we’re about to celebrate [indicating about an 1/ 8th of an inch with his fingers]. Now, humans, in some shape or form, have been on the earth for three million years [pointing across the room to indicate the distance]. So, all this time, from there [gesturing toward the other side of the room], to here [indicating the 1/ 8th of an inch], there was no God, there was no story, there was no myth and people lived on this planet and they wandered and they gathered and they did all these things. The planet was never threatened. How did they survive for all this time without this belief in God? I’d like to ask this to someone who knows about Christianity and maybe you do. That just seems funny to me.” ― Eddie Vedder

God's Not Real: A Collection of Quotations for the Atheist (Kindle Locations 632-639). Sky Blue Publishing. Kindle Edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 drystone

My eldest son then aged 10 arguing with his mother about why he shouldn't go to church:

"God isn't real, it's not like he's Santa or anything"

Advertisement