Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Planet X wrote: »
    So, my son who is studying in Cathal Brugha St., just in the door now, asked me how I made the Hollandaise.
    "In a Bain Marie" i told him.........but .....my mistake was having the bowl IN the water! He said it should be ABOVE the water.
    Good. Live and learn.

Tell that whippersnapper that bain is French for bath not sauna!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

OK....good input. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

On a scrambled eggs buzz this week. Doing recipes by Nigel Slater. Had this yesterday.

Fry some asparagus shavings in butter till soft. Throw in some crayfish. I used five eggs then for the scramble. Plate up and top with some taragon.

Today's scramble eggs.

Dice a tomato, one red chili and three spring onions and fry in butter for three minutes. Add in some coriander, one diced avocado and the juice of one lime. Cook till hot and remove half the salsa for the side. Scramble five eggs in the pan with the remaining salsa. Plate and top with coriander.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Planet X wrote: »
    Frozen shop bought wrappers.

Can I ask where you got them? I'm having trouble getting them at the moment

• Advertisement

Oh and I had a sandwich for lunch today with rocket, onion and roast beef in it, and some Greek yogurt and frozen cherries for dessert.

Spicy scrambled eggs

Blend a tomato, tsp of curry powder, cumin and chilli flakes to a paste. Fry paste in butter for four mins. Throw in 2 chopped spring onions and fry for 1 min. Add five eggs as scramble. Plate and serve with coriander.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

5 eggs?
    How many people does that serve?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Can I ask where you got them? I'm having trouble getting them at the moment

Hi, just saw your PM.
    "Ingredients" Asian store Stillorgan. They have a few stores around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Seafood chowder spiced with leftover weekend mussel juice/cream/wine/garlic/parsley sauce and some addded frozen prawns with 2 slice bread butter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Frittata.

Whats-App-Image-2020-11-10-at-15-06-49.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Grilled Sausages, Fried Eggs and Fried Onions.. Delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭treenytru

Xmas dinner leftovers

Pea and brocolli soup with a bit of the glazed ham on top

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I was having a tough morning in the office (aka spare bedroom) and felt like some comfort food.

So I made myself a massive wrap with butter bean humus (be I grabbed the wrong tin from the press), pickled red cabbage, lettuce, halloumi, fried mushrooms and onions, drizzles with spicy relish. And sweet potato fries from the air fryer on the side.

I returned to work with a whole new outlook on life :D

wvha9IJ.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Scrambled eggs on toast with Sauce Shop sriracha (I love the stuff!)

IMG-20210115-131026.jpg

I got a spice bag from the Chinese for dinner last night. Ate half, then attempted the other half reheated in the air fryer today for lunch. Delicious! I will no longer be throwing out my Chinese leftovers. :pac:

I will no longer be throwing out my Chinese leftovers. :pac:

I haven't had a Chinese takeaway in years but I used to fairly regularly get one from a local takeaway. If I paid a but extra for a large rice, I'd get dinner for 2 days from it. Just microwaved it the second day.

I didn't think people routinely threw away unfinished takeaways.

I haven't had a Chinese takeaway in years but I used to fairly regularly get one from a local takeaway. If I paid a but extra for a large rice, I'd get dinner for 2 days from it. Just microwaved it the second day.

I didn't think people routinely threw away unfinished takeaways.

Anything fried, I've thrown out. A spice bag is 75% chips.

A stir fry or curry or whatever I've always happily reheated.

Anything fried, I've thrown out. A spice bag is 75% chips.

A stir fry or curry or whatever I've always happily reheated.

Ah yeah, chips. Didn't cop that.
    I'm too stingy to even throw chips out if uneaten!

Ah yeah, chips. Didn't cop that.
    I'm too stingy to even throw chips out if uneaten!

And how do you reheat them? I've found them inedible from the oven or microwave. Dusty or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

If they weren't left sitting for ages before getting to you and they're nice home cut chips, throw a small bit of fresh sunflower oil over them and stick em a preheated oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭PMBC

Today for lunch, as for most of last year for four days of the week, two home made wraps toasted and with filling of sliced shop/processed ham, sliced tomato, diced red onion and cheese and sliced hard boiled egg. Once a week I vary this filling with just tinned tuna and cheese. On my 'days off' I have oven chips with tinned salmon or home made beef burgers
    Ive lost about two and a half stone in a year on this food compared to my previous lunch of two well filled sandwiches with white bread. Well not quite as I now eat very little after that for the rest of the day!!

And how do you reheat them? I've found them inedible from the oven or microwave. Dusty or something

A dry frying pan with a lid does the job reasonably, - lowish heat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I find the airfryer quite good for reheating chips - spray them with some oil beforehand, they aren't too bad (this is really for chipper chips). I haven't tried reheating a spice bag, but it could work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I did a search of the Airfryer thread because I knew someone had great success with chipper chips: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105891094&postcount=1028

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Shallow fry. Pretend they're sautee potatoes, but in a chip shape :)

I did a search of the Airfryer thread because I knew someone had great success with chipper chips: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105891094&postcount=1028

Cheers Dizzy :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,442 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Eggs Royale.

attachment.php?attachmentid=539663&d=1610804740

Always order this when I go out and had been missing it all of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Porridge with banana.

I love porridge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Me too porridge is my winter fuel.....

Advertisement