Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late to the Party - Anyone up for a fantasy football league?

Options
  • 21-09-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

Having just discovered the joys of NFL.com's ridiculously luxurious fantasy football set-up but being stuck in an NFL managed league where only three of the ten team owners have even ever logged into their teams I'm left wanting a more reliably active league to enjoy in the comnig months.

To be clear, I know there's a fantasy football thread, but I also know anyone who isn't involved in the 'offical' leagues this year won't be visiting that thread regularly so it would defeat the point of this post to put it there.

This league would obviously be independent from those leagues and open to anyone, even if they're already involved in one or more of those leagues, but ideally I'd like to see some other newbies like myself taking the dip.

In terms of rules we can hammer something out in this thread depending on what response this gets - even if we only get half a dozen players we can either have a truncated season or play each other more than twice.

So, simply put, anyone up for some late fantasy football?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Why would it be pointless to put it in the other thread? Many have before you and filled their leagues with no bother. They got new guys and the regulars to join their leagues. I joined 2 leagues outside the the Boards ones and DPT Auction and PPR league. Those guys posted in the other thread and a few of us joined including guys like you who didn't get in on the Boards ones.

To add the fact the Other thread is called "Fantasy Football 2010" I can't see why newcomers wouldn't check their first or ask in their for open spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I just think it'll be easier this late in the fantasy 'season' to corral outside support by making it crystal clear the league is only starting around now than a thread - that I did look through before posting - that very much gave a feeling of having missed the bus because the only chatter was of peoples' already started leagues.

I'm sure it'd have been more viable even 10 days ago, but at this point I'd imagine alot of people who don't know much about fantasy football would assume they've missed the boat for this season and wouldn't really be checking a fantasy football thread and even if they'd did, they see the above and probably get the same impression I did. As I said, I would like to find some newbies like myself if at all possible and this seemed like the best option to grab the attentions of the people I wanted to find.

I'll be more than happy to switch the coversation over to the fantasy thread after I get some bodies, but it's hard to say that this isn't an effective option for reaching a more general audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

I'll be your huckleberry! Already play in one outside of the ones here but wouldnt mind hopping on board.

I'll be your huckleberry! Already play in one outside of the ones here but wouldnt mind hopping on board.

Haha, fantastic! I'd guess 6 would be the minimum we'd need for a fun league? As many as we can actually get, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

id be up for it.In a few leagues and so far all my teams are awful

• Advertisement

raven136 wrote: »
    id be up for it.In a few leagues and so far all my teams are awful

Great! We just need a few more and we can get this started, hopefully in time for week 4, but if you guys know anyone who'd be interested we could still fastrack it and get ourselves set up for this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

I'll play. Only in one other league and I'm 0-2 already... And it's my first year of FF so I'm a bit of a newbie aswell.

Ok, so we might as well start thinknig about setting the league up - does anyone have any rules they'd like or should we just go with the default ones on NFL.com? Actually, the one big thing would be should we have one big league or two divisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

One league I'd say cos of the numbers.

And I'd like to join, only in one league at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Yep, I'll join

• Advertisement

Ok, so we have six, if we can get two more we'd be pretty much ideal. What times work for everyone for a draft time? Weekday evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I'm in too

Wow, we're really rolling now! I could try to push a draft through and have us ready for tomorrow's round of games, but it'd be likely too short notice and someone would miss out.

How about I leave this open until Tuesday or so and see if we get anyone else who wants to play and regardless we can have the draft Wednesday at.. 9pm?

Ask around and see if we can fit tomorrow in some time?

If not any night during the week should be fine.

Gah - on trying to start a league, apparently you can only have your drafts between Tuesday-Saturday, so game days aren't allowed to have drafting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

does friday/saturday evening suit anyone else... I'm in college and my laptop is off for repairs so i don't have access to a computer in the evenings until i get home at the weekends..

if that doesn't suit don't worry about it and go with the majority

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    does friday/saturday evening suit anyone else... I'm in college and my laptop is off for repairs so i don't have access to a computer in the evenings until i get home at the weekends..

if that doesn't suit don't worry about it and go with the majority

Since the main goal would be to do it in time for Week 4's games there's no functional reason it can't be, it's just up to the rest as to whether then works from them.. well, guys!?

I'm ok any evening this week, preferably at a late time (8/9pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm in too if there is still room?

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm in too if there is still room?

Oh absolutely, we've got nine now - I think the only question is should we close out at 10 or 12?

As for draft times I'm in work Wednesday and Friday night and training Thursday. I can just pre-rank though so I'm easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'll join too if it's still open?

I'll join too if it's still open?

Yup, it's still open! We have 10 now which is the default NFL.com league size but given that we'll probably have the draft on Friday or Saturday evening we can leave the door open for a few days in case anyone else wants to jump in.

For draft times - is Saturday at 8pm good for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Syferus wrote: »
    Yup! We have 10 now which is the default NFL.com league size but given that we'll probably have the draft on Friday or Saturday evening we can leave the door open for a few days in case anyone else wants to jump in.

For draft times - Saurday at 8pm good for everyone?

Grand either way, I'll more than likely pre-draft a good few weeks anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Once we set the league up then I'll probably pre-draft incase I cant make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i could be at a gig come sat evening so i'll just pre rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Hey, I'd be up for joining if there's still spots available/numbers suit.

I've followed the NFL for the last couple of years but haven't done fantasy yet due to lack of knowledge about how the whole thing works and lack of friends with any sort of interest in it :o

I would be available to do a draft at most times over the weekend I would say.

http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/331563

!

I'll pm the password to everyone who expressed interest - we have one available spot left if everyone who said they want to play joins, so if anyone still wants to jump in.. !

The draft is 9PM Friday, which was enforced because apparently we're nearing th end of the elague start-up times and there's only a few days left on the calender for drafts!

• Advertisement

Joined, I'm in work till ten Friday night though so won't be around for the draft.

Advertisement