Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If... the Unforgiving Minute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Carney 10K - 36:23 - 8s PB

I don't run many 10Ks - in 2011 I ran Carney, going under 40 mins for the first time. Later that year I ran 36:31 and I have not raced 10K since. Coming into this one, I was planning for a PB with a hope of sub 36. I had done a few marker sessions in the lead-in including a 6x1ml and 5x2K in sub 36 min pace. Both were done with a clubmate who was also aiming for similar times at this race.

The course is an out-and-back with a loop around Lissadell House in the middle. It has rolling hills with one good climb just before half way which explains the variation in the split times. Weather was good for running - dry, even sunny with a breeze in our faces on the way back.

Split km times were 3:23,3:33,3:37,3:43,3:59(!),3:41,3:27,3:34,3:54(!),3:29

By 2K my training partner and I had settled into a good group with a few ahead to keep an eye on. On the start of the hill, one guy pushed ahead and I thought to myself "he does not know this hill". I was wrong because he opened up a gap of over 15s in that km. We hit half way at 18:18 and my training partner was starting to tail off. I slowed to encourage him for a bit and he surged to stay with us but that probably killed him off - I did not do a great job of pacing. By now there were only two of us in the group but we worked together on the way back into the wind to catch the breakaway guy around the 8K mark - he pushed the uphills, I strided out on the downs.

The 3 of us stayed together to chase the next guy - a wiley O50 who does not like to be passed and at around 9K we closed the gap. I waited to let someone else lead us out and when no-one kicked, I went with 400m to go. I felt my calf tighten and considered easing back in case it popped but kept it steady. I heard the crowd shouting for my older rival so I stretched out again over the last 100m downhill and stayed ahead.

Overall I finished 6th, but only 4th over 40 - so no prizes today. In fact 8 out of the top 12 were over 40 - probably says more about the younger lads who were not there than anything. However decent PB and some good racing, followed by the usual tea, biscuits and cake reminded me why 10Ks like this are the life-blood of the current running boom.

My calf has not been great since - I did a slow jog afterwards which helped loosen it out and later tried some massage and stretching. It feels more like a persistent cramp than any serious damage so I hope a few easy days will sort it. A recovery jog today helped a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Could have been embarrassing if you'd lost in a sprint finish to a codger :D Good man and congrats on the PB.

Stazza wrote: »
    Could have been embarrassing if you'd lost in a sprint finish to a codger :D

In this case there would have been no shame - he is one of the toughest around.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

dna_leri wrote: »
    Cheers, why were you watching instead of running, not injured I hope?
    Got a chest infection after Tubber which developed into Pneumonia.:mad: I suppose that happens if you continue to train with a chest infection! Set back a good few weeks now, but sure its a long summer.

conavitzky wrote: »
    Got a chest infection after Tubber which developed into Pneumonia.:mad: I suppose that happens if you continue to train with a chest infection! Set back a good few weeks now, but sure its a long summer.

That's tough - Carney would have suited you. When are you planning a return to racing?

• Advertisement

That's tough - Carney would have suited you. When are you planning a return to racing?
    I may try 8k in the point to test the water but might come too early.

After my 10K race on Easter Monday, I did an easy run the next day, rested, then tried a Fartlek on Thursday. My left calf was still very tight so I cut it short and went to my local pain merchant the next day.

He diagnosed a grade 1 strain in my tibialis muscle - the one that runs alongside the inside of the tibia. He mentioned treating someone else who had a stress fracture and I guessed he thought that was a possibility but luckily it was not the case. He recommended no running for 9 days. Cycling or aqua running were ok. I hate both equally but to maintain some aerobic fitness I used my wife's exercise bike. I have a road bike but it's not exactly road-worthy. I rationalised that for 9 days I would be ok indoors and if it went on longer than that I would dust off the old bone-shaker. I also included strength training, avoiding anything that put pressure on the calf.

I had eased off the strength training over the last 10 weeks while I built up endurance but I had maintained body-weight work. Over the the last 9 days, I lifted more weights than I had over the previous 9 weeks. I biked as often as I would run, introducing as much variety as possible - a few tempo type sessions (2x15 mins hard) and high-intensity intervals (20s max, 10s rec). I tried to keep the cadence above 80 rpm as much as possible. The worst part was being indoors in such good weather - I bet it rains for the next 9 days.

I tried to keep an eye on my diet as well, although it's usually pretty good. I cut back a bit on the quantity especially the carbs.

The main lesson I have learned from this injury is to plan a leg massage at least every 6-8 weeks, especially when training hard. I have never gone to a physio/therapist/sports-massage unless I was injured. I was proud of that fact, too proud. There is only so much you can do yourself even with a foam roller.

Today was the 9th day without running and I decided to try it out. I rationalised that when he said no running for 9 days, he really meant 7 days as no runner follows rest instructions to the letter so I was ok running on the 9th day. In the end the number of days rest is only an educated guess anyway but in this case it was a good one as I feel anything less than 7 would not have been enough.

As I headed out the door I had no real plan for time or distance, just test it out. No immediate pain, so keep it going nice and easy. The injured muscle is mostly used for dorsiflexing (pulling the foot back towards the knee) and I previously felt the pain on toe off. I tried not to push-off hard and felt I was running like a triathlete - a good cadence but shorter strides.

The first 2 miles were covered in about 8 mins each. I turned around at that point and picked it up a little. It was a handy 7 min for the next mile so I eased back and finished comfortably. I could feel the oxygen getting down into my lungs and although it was raining it felt like a spring day. I was surprised to find that last mile was also 7 mins. Nicely done and no reaction. Seems like the muscle is healed. A few weights lifted and I was finished. So far so good. I will build back up slowly over the next week and then revise the training plan.

This was a race organised by my club so I felt obliged to race or help out. As my injury was well behind me I decided to give it a go.

Although I had my excuses ready before I started: I had missed over a week due to a calf injury; I had a stressful week at work including a late night on Wednesday and an early start Thursday with less than 5 hours sleep; my stomach was feeling dodgy since Thursday and worsening as Friday went on etc, etc. I was not wearing racing flats as I think they contributed to the recent injury.

My PB for 8K was set at this race 3 years ago. That year the route was slightly different and ended along the prom. This year we would have an extra hill to conquer before a 4-500m finishing stretch.

My target was that 28:25 PB and ideally sub 28 mins - so 3:30 per km was needed.

The km splits tell the story of my race:
    3:23, 3:36, 3:32, 3:45, 3:50, 3:49, 3:43, 3:50
    At half way I was on PB pace but from there onwards I was treading water. I can't remember the last time I blew up like that in a race, maybe never. The funny thing was despite slowing down horribly in the second half, I did not get passed by anyone.

I started fine on a slight downhill. The first 3 sorted themselves out early on and a group formed behind them. I thought of staying with this group but the pace was too fast over the first km so I let them go and waited until they spat someone out the back. That was at the 3rd K. I stayed with him until the turn-around at 4K but he was slowing more than I was so I moved on alone.

The way back was into the wind and I needed company. The guy ahead of me was the O50 I beat in a sprint at the last 10K but he was pulling away and I was on my own. Back in by the prom, there was no shelter and I was struggling. I did not want to look back in case I gave encouragement to the guy behind.

At 6K I asked one of the marshalls "how far back?", meaning how far to the guy behind me "about 9th or 10th" he said, misunderstanding my poorly phrased question. I struggled on. With 1K to go, the slight downhill we started on became a looming uphill. I could hear footsteps behind me now. Near the top we turned left for home, I glanced back, sh1t there were 3 or 4 of them gunning for me, already within striking distance.

I could not risk waiting until they made their move. I hoped the hill had also taken something out of them and I kicked before the brow. I thought I gapped them as the footsteps quietened. Nearing the finish I could see the secs of the clock ticking 13, 14, 15. Better than I expected, a PB was still possible if I could get under 25s. I pushed again before I realised it was 29 mins not 28. The finishing burst was still enough to hold off the catching group led by Conavitzky of this parish.

I crossed the line in 29:27 over a minute slower than I wanted. I was 9th overall and first over 45 but still possibly my worst race ever. A 2-mile cool down and a paddle in the cold atlantic eased the pains a little, though my calf held up well. I was also somewhat redeemed by the age group prize - enough to cover the cost of the entry fee & a new club singlet.

While I appreciate the 5 year age divisions when running masters championships, it seemed a bit much for a local road race. First over 40, O50 & O60 would be enough.

BTW Can I count this as a 5 miler for the purpose of the "10 round numbers" thread? 8K = 4.97 miles, I'm taking it.

Next up track, about time.

This was a race organised by my club so I felt obliged to race or help out. As my injury was well behind me I decided to give it a go.

Although I had my excuses ready before I started: I had missed over a week due to a calf injury; I had a stressful week at work including a late night on Wednesday and an early start Thursday with less than 5 hours sleep; my stomach was feeling dodgy since Thursday and worsening as Friday went on etc, etc. I was not wearing racing flats as I think they contributed to the recent injury.

My PB for 8K was set at this race 3 years ago. That year the route was slightly different and ended along the prom. This year we would have an extra hill to conquer before a 4-500m finishing stretch.

My target was that 28:25 PB and ideally sub 28 mins - so 3:30 per km was needed.

The km splits tell the story of my race:
    3:23, 3:36, 3:32, 3:45, 3:50, 3:49, 3:43, 3:50
    At half way I was on PB pace but from there onwards I was treading water. I can't remember the last time I blew up like that in a race, maybe never. The funny thing was despite slowing down horribly in the second half, I did not get passed by anyone.

I started fine on a slight downhill. The first 3 sorted themselves out early on and a group formed behind them. I thought of staying with this group but the pace was too fast over the first km so I let them go and waited until they spat someone out the back. That was at the 3rd K. I stayed with him until the turn-around at 4K but he was slowing more than I was so I moved on alone.

The way back was into the wind and I needed company. The guy ahead of me was the O50 I beat in a sprint at the last 10K but he was pulling away and I was on my own. Back in by the prom, there was no shelter and I was struggling. I did not want to look back in case I gave encouragement to the guy behind.

At 6K I asked one of the marshalls "how far back?", meaning how far to the guy behind me "about 9th or 10th" he said, misunderstanding my poorly phrased question. I struggled on. With 1K to go, the slight downhill we started on became a looming uphill. I could hear footsteps behind me now. Near the top we turned left for home, I glanced back, sh1t there were 3 or 4 of them gunning for me, already within striking distance.

I could not risk waiting until they made their move. I hoped the hill had also taken something out of them and I kicked before the brow. I thought I gapped them as the footsteps quietened. Nearing the finish I could see the secs of the clock ticking 13, 14, 15. Better than I expected, a PB was still possible if I could get under 25s. I pushed again before I realised it was 29 mins not 28. The finishing burst was still enough to hold off the catching group led by Conavitzky of this parish.

I crossed the line in 29:27 over a minute slower than I wanted. I was 9th overall and first over 45 but still possibly my worst race ever. A 2-mile cool down and a paddle in the cold atlantic eased the pains a little, though my calf held up well. I was also somewhat redeemed by the age group prize - enough to cover the cost of the entry fee & a new club singlet.

While I appreciate the 5 year age divisions when running masters championships, it seemed a bit much for a local road race. First over 40, O50 & O60 would be enough.

BTW Can I count this as a 5 miler for the purpose of the "10 round numbers" thread? 8K = 4.97 miles, I'm taking it.

Next up track, about time.
    I think you are being very harsh on yourself dna given the injury and lead up. Its a lonely route coming in along that prom when the wind is blowing and you have no company for shelter and to share the work! I know how you
    feel though.

I think you are being very harsh on yourself dna given the injury and lead up. Its a lonely route coming in along that prom when the wind is blowing and you have no company for shelter and to share the work! I know how you
    feel though.

Were you happy with your own come-back race? I did not see you at the turn point - you must have run a good second half, even splits?

• Advertisement

Were you happy with your own come-back race? I did not see you at the turn point - you must have run a good second half, even splits?

I was initially disappointed, but its a 80 second pb from the same race last year and is the equivalent of the 10k in tubber so should be happy given I have only started back at the speedwork last two weeks. But if I look at the race in isolation I probably should have done better. Worked with dk all the way and on the way home we were too much in the comfort zone I thought. Commented to him at 6k is there any point in trying to catch you given your finishing kick! We might have pushed on if it were someone else. I made us about 8 secs slower over the second half.
    I remember finishing last years race with a pb in 30.49 and almost collapsing. I felt fresh crossing the line this year so hopefully the times will drop another bit!
    Mixed feelings overall!

After a mixed couple of weeks following the 8K race, the last week has gone well with 3 sessions and a long run in the past 6 days. My philosophy has always been "hard days hard, easy days easy" but I have softened that recently to get more work done so my long run and the next day are now medium effort days. I am loosely following Steve Magness 800m plan from The Science of Running, coming to the end of the pre-competition phase. Although I am not good at following a plan, so far I like this one.

The last week's sessions went as follows:

Sat 31 - 10 mile long run, easy

Sun 01 - 4x200m at 400m pace.
    Times were 27.2, 28.6, 27.8, 27.2. I eased up a bit too much on the 2nd one, the rest were good. The plan did not specify the recovery time, I took 3.5 to 4 mins.

Tues 03 - 7x400m.
    Plan was first 4 at mile pace, next 2 just faster, then last one at 800m pace. My first set averaged 72.2s, then 69.8s and finishing with 63.9s. The last one was a bit slower than I would like but it's probably an indication of the shape I'm in right now (2:08 for 800m). I mis-read the plan and took only 4 mins instead of 5 between sets but kept to the 60s between reps.

Thur 05 - Steve's plan was: 3x (600(3K),300(1mi),300(800)) w/ 2min rest b/t reps, 4min b/t sets
    The legs were feeling a bit heavy but not bad considering the week. There was a warm breeze at the track but a nice bit of bounce from the tartan.
    For the 3K & mile paces, I struggled not to go too fast averaging 1:51 for 600m & 52.4 for 300m which is 9:15 3K pace and 4:41 mile pace. For the 800m pace, the first 2 were a bit slow until I got it right in the last rep to average 47.2s which is about 2:06 for 800.

Monday and Wednesday were easy recovery runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Some excellent sessions DL, it's coming together nicely. Any race plans?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Some excellent sessions DL, it's coming together nicely. Any race plans?

Struggling to get to races with work and other commitments.
    There is an outside chance of Santry next week.

After a mixed couple of weeks following the 8K race, the last week has gone well with 3 sessions and a long run in the past 6 days. My philosophy has always been "hard days hard, easy days easy" but I have softened that recently to get more work done so my long run and the next day are now medium effort days. I am loosely following Steve Magness 800m plan from The Science of Running, coming to the end of the pre-competition phase. Although I am not good at following a plan, so far I like this one.

The last week's sessions went as follows:

Sat 31 - 10 mile long run, easy

Sun 01 - 4x200m at 400m pace.
    Times were 27.2, 28.6, 27.8, 27.2. I eased up a bit too much on the 2nd one, the rest were good. The plan did not specify the recovery time, I took 3.5 to 4 mins.

Tues 03 - 7x400m.
    Plan was first 4 at mile pace, next 2 just faster, then last one at 800m pace. My first set averaged 72.2s, then 69.8s and finishing with 63.9s. The last one was a bit slower than I would like but it's probably an indication of the shape I'm in right now (2:08 for 800m). I mis-read the plan and took only 4 mins instead of 5 between sets but kept to the 60s between reps.

Thur 05 - Steve's plan was: 3x (600(3K),300(1mi),300(800)) w/ 2min rest b/t reps, 4min b/t sets
    The legs were feeling a bit heavy but not bad considering the week. There was a warm breeze at the track but a nice bit of bounce from the tartan.
    For the 3K & mile paces, I struggled not to go too fast averaging 1:51 for 600m & 52.4 for 300m which is 9:15 3K pace and 4:41 mile pace. For the 800m pace, the first 2 were a bit slow until I got it right in the last rep to average 47.2s which is about 2:06 for 800.

Monday and Wednesday were easy recovery runs.

Good stuff dna! I did a session two weeks ago of 10x400m of 400m jog and just about held 75 secs for them all so cant imagine being able to blast out a 64 on the last rep like you did there! Ye middle distance gurus sicken me with your natural speed! Any tips?? You too pconn.

Good stuff dna! I did a session two weeks ago of 10x400m of 400m jog and just about held 75 secs for them all so cant imagine being able to blast out a 64 on the last rep like you did there! Ye middle distance gurus sicken me with your natural speed! Any tips?? You too pconn.

You would be surprised what you can do if you gave it a go.
    I'd say first work on your form, constantly. I don't think you have much wrong but it's something to be conscious of all the time, when doing your long run as well as your faster reps. Sometimes it needs a coach to point out the things that we need to improve.

If you want to work on your speed (maximal velocity) then this series by Jay Johnson is a good place to start.
    http://www.coachjayjohnson.com/2010/06/speed-development-running-times-part-1/

You would be surprised what you can do if you gave it a go.
    I'd say first work on your form, constantly. I don't think you have much wrong but it's something to be conscious of all the time, when doing your long run as well as your faster reps. Sometimes it needs a coach to point out the things that we need to improve.

If you want to work on your speed (maximal velocity) then this series by Jay Johnson is a good place to start.
    http://www.coachjayjohnson.com/2010/06/speed-development-running-times-part-1/
    The coach has had us working on form drills for the last few weeks. Butt kicks and driving the planting foot below the hip on impact to encourage better mechanics. I have found that they have helped. Must give that link a peek. Thanks

Sat 7 June - Long Run
    10 miles with the crew on a beautiful morning in the woods.

Sun 8 June - Speed
    250, 200, 150, 100 at 400m pace with 5-8 mins rest.
    Actuals were 35.0, 27.8, 19.6, 12.8 with 4-5 mins recovery.
    I know I should not try to beat the plan but sometimes you do because you can.

Mon 9 June - Longer run
    I had an short-notice overseas business trip on Monday, which brought me to Holland (and later Austria and Hungary). The temperature at Amsterdam airport was 29 deg when I arrived and only cooled to 26 by the time I headed out for an easy 10K. I had made a quick check for a suitable route on google maps & mapmyrun and found a cycle path that brought me half around the airport. I planned to come back in to the airport hotel by another entrance. However when I got there, it was restricted access. Now I could go back the 8K I had come or continue on in the hope of finding another way. Of course I had not brought my phone or even money to get a drink or a taxi back, duh. So I made another bad decision and continued on. In the end it turned into a 20K (almost 2 hour) death march before I finally made it back to the hotel.
    I could not get the water in the shower cool enough and a few litres of water were consumed that night. It could have been worse, lesson learnt. I was glad of the day off running on Tuesday, especially in the 40 deg heat of Hungary. It's not exactly the jet-set life.

Wed 11 June - 400m race - 56.68s
    I arrived back in Dublin airport at about 5pm and with the Dublin Graded Meeting on in Santry just down the road, I had to drop in and give it a go. I knew I would not be up for a tough 800m race so I decided to test out my speed in the 400.
    There was only A or B grade - I would have preferred C. Last year I surprised myself with a PB of 55.08 in early July but this week I was hoping for 56.x. Weather conditions were perfect - not a breath of wind and a warm evening.
    Chivito went in the heat before me and I got the same good draw - lane 5. His block settings were identical to what I used previously so no messing about there. I thought I got out well and kept the head down for 30-50m. By then I was ahead of the guy in lane 6. Down the back straight, three guys passed me on the inside and they went on to contest the race in around 52s. I felt I was moving well at that point and around the bend I passed the guy in lane 7. Into the home straight he came back at me, now I was working hard but I suspect my form was all over the place and I could not find another gear. He passed me in the final 20m and ended up 0.2s ahead. My official time was 56.68 which was respectable and "good enough" but I was disappointed to get passed in the home straight where I should be strong.
    However it was still good to get out on the track to race and to meet up with people I have not seen in a while. The only drawback was not getting home until almost midnight.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday were easy days with strides at 5K pace.

Sun 15 June - 5K race - 17:05
    This was the 4th year of the Streets of Sligo 5K. I did the first one in 18:02 - a good PB at the time. I missed the last two due to conflicts with the Connacht T&F but I wanted to give it another go this year before I concentrated on the track for the rest of the summer.
    The first km was in 3:19 and I was off the back of the second group which contained the leading woman, a young guy that I had beaten in a 5K earlier in the year, and a O-50 that beat me in the last 8K but I passed in a 10K sprint finish. The 2nd km passed in 3:34 as we headed uphill. The group was now spreading out but I had not closed the gap. The next K was mostly downhill and I hoped I would be able to relax a bit before the final effort but I was still working hard. At the bottom of the hill I caught the young guy and thought about encouraging him to stay with the pace, but no, this was racing. Kms 3 & 4 took 6:54. Coming back by the river I caught up with the other master and took some shelter from the breeze behind him and another runner. With less than 1 km to go I went past them without really raising the pace. The leading woman (a namesake, no relation) and another guy were still in sight. I considered waiting for a sprint finish in the main street but I gained on them in the approach and pushed on. I still sprinted down O'Connell Street as it's not everyday I get that chance. The last km was 3:15 for an official 17:05 - an SB not a PB. I have run under 17 mins in a handful of races now so I was a bit disappointed with the time but I enjoyed this one more than most.

Sat 7 June - Long Run
    10 miles with the crew on a beautiful morning in the woods.

Sun 8 June - Speed
    250, 200, 150, 100 at 400m pace with 5-8 mins rest.
    Actuals were 35.0, 27.8, 19.6, 12.8 with 4-5 mins recovery.
    I know I should not try to beat the plan but sometimes you do because you can.

Mon 9 June - Longer run
    I had an short-notice overseas business trip on Monday, which brought me to Holland (and later Austria and Hungary). The temperature at Amsterdam airport was 29 deg when I arrived and only cooled to 26 by the time I headed out for an easy 10K. I had made a quick check for a suitable route on google maps & mapmyrun and found a cycle path that brought me half around the airport. I planned to come back in to the airport hotel by another entrance. However when I got there, it was restricted access. Now I could go back the 8K I had come or continue on in the hope of finding another way. Of course I had not brought my phone or even money to get a drink or a taxi back, duh. So I made another bad decision and continued on. In the end it turned into a 20K (almost 2 hour) death march before I finally made it back to the hotel.
    I could not get the water in the shower cool enough and a few litres of water were consumed that night. It could have been worse, lesson learnt. I was glad of the day off running on Tuesday, especially in the 40 deg heat of Hungary. It's not exactly the jet-set life.

Wed 11 June - 400m race - 56.68s
    I arrived back in Dublin airport at about 5pm and with the Dublin Graded Meeting on in Santry just down the road, I had to drop in and give it a go. I knew I would not be up for a tough 800m race so I decided to test out my speed in the 400.
    There was only A or B grade - I would have preferred C. Last year I surprised myself with a PB of 55.08 in early July but this week I was hoping for 56.x. Weather conditions were perfect - not a breath of wind and a warm evening.
    Chivito went in the heat before me and I got the same good draw - lane 5. His block settings were identical to what I used previously so no messing about there. I thought I got out well and kept the head down for 30-50m. By then I was ahead of the guy in lane 6. Down the back straight, three guys passed me on the inside and they went on to contest the race in around 52s. I felt I was moving well at that point and around the bend I passed the guy in lane 7. Into the home straight he came back at me, now I was working hard but I suspect my form was all over the place and I could not find another gear. He passed me in the final 20m and ended up 0.2s ahead. My official time was 56.68 which was respectable and "good enough" but I was disappointed to get passed in the home straight where I should be strong.
    However it was still good to get out on the track to race and to meet up with people I have not seen in a while. The only drawback was not getting home until almost midnight.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday were easy days with strides at 5K pace.

Sun 15 June - 5K race - 17:05
    This was the 4th year of the Streets of Sligo 5K. I did the first one in 18:02 - a good PB at the time. I missed the last two due to conflicts with the Connacht T&F but I wanted to give it another go this year before I concentrated on the track for the rest of the summer.
    The first km was in 3:19 and I was off the back of the second group which contained the leading woman, a young guy that I had beaten in a 5K earlier in the year, and a O-50 that beat me in the last 8K but I passed in a 10K sprint finish. The 2nd km passed in 3:34 as we headed uphill. The group was now spreading out but I had not closed the gap. The next K was mostly downhill and I hoped I would be able to relax a bit before the final effort but I was still working hard. At the bottom of the hill I caught the young guy and thought about encouraging him to stay with the pace, but no, this was racing. Kms 3 & 4 took 6:54. Coming back by the river I caught up with the other master and took some shelter from the breeze behind him and another runner. With less than 1 km to go I went past them without really raising the pace. The leading woman (a namesake, no relation) and another guy were still in sight. I considered waiting for a sprint finish in the main street but I gained on them in the approach and pushed on. I still sprinted down O'Connell Street as it's not everyday I get that chance. The last km was 3:15 for an official 17:05 - an SB not a PB. I have run under 17 mins in a handful of races now so I was a bit disappointed with the time but I enjoyed this one more than most.

Good stuff. Must be happier than ya were after the 8k!

Good stuff. Must be happier than ya were after the 8k!

Yep, enjoyed it a lot more. Always better to finish strong.
    Are you saving yourself for a 10K ?

• Advertisement

Yep, enjoyed it a lot more. Always better to finish strong.
    Are you saving yourself for a 10K ?
    Doing an 8k next weekend in cliffoney and did not fancy racing three weekends in a row with my dodgy achilles tendons. Watched it instead and then wished I was running it!

I started the week with a Sports Massage, which is a new addition to my routine. My calves needed the most attention but he also found a tight spot in my right hamstring, which his elbow sorted out. I was still feeling sore on Wednesday.

I was glad my Tuesday workout was light following the plan of 9x150m at mile pace. I did them on grass so distances were somewhat approximate. Times were in the range 25-27s with walk recoveries of about 50s

Plan for Thursday was 4x (200, 100m jog, 100m) w/ 4 min rest; 200's at 800 pace, 100m kick in.
    The first set was on grass as the track was occupied so the times were a bit slower there.
    On the track I hit 30s for the 200s and 14s for the final 100.
    I also did some good drills and a few plyos, finishing with hurdle mobility work which gave me a pain in the butt for a few days.

Long run Saturday was a very easy 10 miles. When I am doing base building, any bit of speed work is enjoyable but when I am doing mostly faster stuff, I enjoy the longer slower stuff.

Plan for Sunday was 3x4x200 w/ 75sec rest and 4 min rest, 800m pace.
    I have done 3x3x200m a few times but never 3 sets of 4 reps.
    Best for 3x3 was average 31.0 off 60-90s just before running my PB early last year.
    Today I did the first set in 30.9 off 75s in flats.
    The 2nd set in 31.0 with 75s in XC spikes and finished with av 30.8 off 90s in racing flats.
    I felt I needed the extra few secs recovery for the 3rd set to maintain the pace.
    Happy with this session (overall pace 2:03.7), done solo in sunshine and a slight headwind.

I spent Tuesday to Thursday of last week in Netherlands, so while I got a run every day, there was an absence of quality sessions. A couple of the runs were in the morning along the beach and the boardwalk in Scheveningen followed by strides .

On Sunday I ran my first 800m of the season at the Galway County Championships. I have ran this meet for the last few years and always enjoyed it. Weather is usually good with decent competition and on Sunday again the conditions were perfect. I entered for the senior 800m expecting to get better competition at that level [masters was won in 2:18]. In the warm-up, my legs felt a bit weak but that may just have been nerves. There were 8 of us in the starting line up and I drew lane 3. Inside me was a guy I knew could run 2 mins and an O35 masters outside me, also around that level. I got out well and broke after the first bend in 3rd place, with the two that I expected in front. Another young lad cut in down the straight.
    I think I was in 5th at the bell as we all strung out in a line. I did not get a 400m split time. Coming off the 3rd bend a guest runner from Crusaders tried to come past - another masters runner I think. His sharp elbows bumped me several times but I held the inside line and it was not until the straight that he got ahead. Around the last bend, the Crusaders guy closed in on 4th place as the leading three pulled away but I was still on his tail.
    I accelerated wide off the bend and for a while there were three of us in a row down the home straight. It was a case of who would slow the least. The younger guy started to go backwards, I tried to hold my form and not tie up. I sensed the Crusaders guy come back at me but I was pulling ahead. At the line I ducked and took 4th place.
    If my legs felt weak before the race, they turned to jelly afterwards. I had considered doing the 200m later but I could barely jog a cool down so I pulled out knowing I had given everything in the 8.
    Although there was electronic timing, I did not get the times straight away but from the effort I felt I had run around 2:05. Official results gave me 2:04.72 with 5th place 0.12s behind and the first three in 2:00.xx. That was my 2nd fastest 800m ever, only my indoor PB is better, so a good season opener and I hope more to follow.

My legs felt heavy for a few days after the 800m but by Wednesday I felt up to a local 1 mile road race with a difference. The difference was a hill. The Maniac Mile is uphill with a prize fund of 1 million euro for anyone who broke 4 mins - I might have a chance downhill! According to Mapmyrun the height gain is about 90m, mostly over the first km. The race has been run a few times in the past but this was the first year in a while. I turned up expecting to compete for the masters prize. I was shocked to find only 5 people entered. I know many runners don't like hills and most prefer longer races, and it was raining, but 5! The organisers offered a refund to anyone who wanted it, I felt sorry for them - there were as many officials as competitors. They had done all the usual promotional stuff through local clubs, Fbook, Tweeter, etc. The race went ahead and one guy who I knew enjoyed mountain climbing led us out. I stayed with him for the first hill and then I pulled away. My effort level was about 5K and I hit the approximate half way in 3:03, then finishing in 6:15 with 2nd place about 20s back. After everyone finished, we jogged back down bemoaning the rest of the running community. If I was on my own I might have gone back up for a tougher training effect but I left it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done on the first race. A superb time. That second race sounds like great fun. Would love to give it a pop. Shame a decent crowd didn't turn up. I guess that'll be the end of the race now.

That second race sounds like great fun. Would love to give it a pop. Shame a decent crowd didn't turn up. I guess that'll be the end of the race now.

The uphill mile reminded me of a section of the Curlew Warriors race a few years ago, when you powered off up the hill, 3 years ago, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Nice time to open the season!

What's the plan race-wise between now and the Masters? Are you just doing the 8 in Tullamore?

Sacksian wrote: »
    Nice time to open the season!

What's the plan race-wise between now and the Masters? Are you just doing the 8 in Tullamore?

I have 3 opportunities next week to race, I hope to get one of them.
    After that races are scarce, one possibility the following week.
    So once again, I will probably under-raced going to Tullamore.
    In the Masters I would like to do the 4 and the 8 but that's a stretch.
    Competition will be tough anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

I wonder if they'd actually be able to afford to give somebody 1 million euro if the broke 4 mins :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Excellent 800m DL!

• Advertisement

pa4 wrote: »
    I wonder if they'd actually be able to afford to give somebody 1 million euro if the broke 4 mins :pac:

Definitely not, they are one of the smallest clubs in the country.
    Would have been fun if someone like Paul Robinson turned up and gave it a go though. Apparently when it was run in the past (over 15 years ago) nobody beat 5 mins so they thought they were pretty safe. Given the crowd that turned up they certainly were.

Advertisement