Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If... the Unforgiving Minute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

dna_leri wrote: »
    I ran my annual Cross Country race last Sunday. In fact it had been 18 months since my last confession at the altar of pain that is cross country. For my penance I did 8K of ankle deep slogging in the mud and cow sh1te.

The Connacht Senior Cross Country is being run off as a 3 day team event this year with Masters, Novices etc all counting on the team scores. This was the 2nd race and with some of the better guys deferring to DCM, the standard was down from the previous race.

There were some heavy rain showers earlier in the day and with the juvenile events on first the course was always going to be heavy but mercifully the rain stayed off for the senior race. We had 8 laps of approx 1K each to contend. We started on the uphill and I ran wide to get some traction but we were immediately squelching in the muck. Surprisingly the worst bit was at the top of the hill. Then there was a nice but slippery downhill, followed by a half-decent grassy section in the lower field before we neaded back up again.

The first lap was just under 1 km in 3:40, which I thought seemed a reasonable pace at the time, ha. By now the leaders had pulled ahead and I was a few metres behind one of my training partners and another guy from a neighbouring club that I don't like to lose to. I worked to join them and we kind of worked together for the next few laps and slowly eased away from our competitor. I thought we would have dropped him quicker but neither of us seemed to be able to up the pace. In fact my lap times were now well over 4 mins and getting slower. At one point, I was going so wide to avoid the muck that my clubmate thought I was going to miss the turn completely and he pointed me back in the direction of the course - "this way!".

With one lap to go we had 10-15m lead on our rival who had now been joined by another runner. My clubmate said something about trying to make a break up the hill, I told him to push on and I would wait for the downhill. He was not able to up the pace much and I made my move with about 800m to go. I was surprised the legs responded quite well and was able to stretch out to the finish

According to the results I finished 11th overall, 3rd Master and 2nd for the club - hopefully keeping us in contention for the team event.

I had some aches in my hamstrings later that day and general tiredness but a lazy bank holiday Monday had me ready to tackle my first track session of the winter on Tuesday. I debated what kind of session to kick off with before settling on 12x300m with similar time recoveries - 300s are probably my favourite distance for track workouts.

The first 3 reps were all 58.x and without trying too hard I picked it up to 56.x for the next 6. On the 10th one I concentrated on driving down with my leg (into the ground) and the next rep times dropped to 54.x before finishing with a 53.6s. Recoveries averaged 59s. Although I have a long way to go with speed, I was happy with the progression within the session.

I finished with 30 min of circuits on the outdoor gym equipment - 4 sets of dips, overhead press, pull-ups, squats with jogging in between. Not as racked with DOMS as I expected today but maybe they are just very delayed.

I'm still not sure how often I will be updating this log going forward but for now I'll update when I can.

Cross Country. You could not pay me enough to inflict that torture on myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

I ran my annual Cross Country race last Sunday. In fact it had been 18 months since my last confession at the altar of pain that is cross country. For my penance I did 8K of ankle deep slogging in the mud and cow sh1te.

The Connacht Senior Cross Country is being run off as a 3 day team event this year with Masters, Novices etc all counting on the team scores. This was the 2nd race and with some of the better guys deferring to DCM, the standard was down from the previous race.

There were some heavy rain showers earlier in the day and with the juvenile events on first the course was always going to be heavy but mercifully the rain stayed off for the senior race. We had 8 laps of approx 1K each to contend. We started on the uphill and I ran wide to get some traction but we were immediately squelching in the muck. Surprisingly the worst bit was at the top of the hill. Then there was a nice but slippery downhill, followed by a half-decent grassy section in the lower field before we neaded back up again.

The first lap was just under 1 km in 3:40, which I thought seemed a reasonable pace at the time, ha. By now the leaders had pulled ahead and I was a few metres behind one of my training partners and another guy from a neighbouring club that I don't like to lose to. I worked to join them and we kind of worked together for the next few laps and slowly eased away from our competitor. I thought we would have dropped him quicker but neither of us seemed to be able to up the pace. In fact my lap times were now well over 4 mins and getting slower. At one point, I was going so wide to avoid the muck that my clubmate thought I was going to miss the turn completely and he pointed me back in the direction of the course - "this way!".

With one lap to go we had 10-15m lead on our rival who had now been joined by another runner. My clubmate said something about trying to make a break up the hill, I told him to push on and I would wait for the downhill. He was not able to up the pace much and I made my move with about 800m to go. I was surprised the legs responded quite well and was able to stretch out to the finish

According to the results I finished 11th overall, 3rd Master and 2nd for the club - hopefully keeping us in contention for the team event.

I had some aches in my hamstrings later that day and general tiredness but a lazy bank holiday Monday had me ready to tackle my first track session of the winter on Tuesday. I debated what kind of session to kick off with before settling on 12x300m with similar time recoveries - 300s are probably my favourite distance for track workouts.

The first 3 reps were all 58.x and without trying too hard I picked it up to 56.x for the next 6. On the 10th one I concentrated on driving down with my leg (into the ground) and the next rep times dropped to 54.x before finishing with a 53.6s. Recoveries averaged 59s. Although I have a long way to go with speed, I was happy with the progression within the session.

I finished with 30 min of circuits on the outdoor gym equipment - 4 sets of dips, overhead press, pull-ups, squats with jogging in between. Not as racked with DOMS as I expected today but maybe they are just very delayed.

I'm still not sure how often I will be updating this log going forward but for now I'll update when I can.

I ran it myself also and it was tough alright Dna. First time trying that lark and found it strangely enjoyable in a sadistic kind of way. How would you rate x-country performances -v- running road races. I finished just ahead of you but am well over a minute behind times you have run for 5k and nowhere near times you have run for 10k. I found I could have kept going but not a hope I could have sped up beyond plod pace!
    Will miss the next installment unfortunately. I hear its flatter, faster and drier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

conavitzky wrote: »
    I ran it myself also and it was tough alright Dna. First time trying that lark and found it strangely enjoyable in a sadistic kind of way. How would you rate x-country performances -v- running road races. I finished just ahead of you but am well over a minute behind times you have run for 5k and nowhere near times you have run for 10k. I found I could have kept going but not a hope I could have sped up beyond plod pace!
    Will miss the next installment unfortunately. I hear its flatter, faster and drier!

Not planning on doing the next one either - I'm not convinced its flatter, faster etc - they always say that and it turns out to have a huge hill and a lake to run through.

Looking at the "10 round numbers" thread, I'd say you are closer to my 10K time than you think (36:30 in Grange 2011). Judging by the way you ran Sunday, you will be pushing that territory soon enough.

I think cross-country also suits some people more than others. For me I like to get a bit a bounce back from the ground and there was none of that this week. That's probably why I prefer the track and shorter distances, but the XC is good for building strength anyway.

My second track session of the winter was planned for 6x600m (mile pace) [4 min rec]
    My mile pace should be 1:48 for 600m but I knew that would be a struggle at this time of the season.
    The track was wet, with little wind and I was on my own but with a few groups to dodge around.

Times were:
    1:51, 1:52, 1:51, 1:55, 1:54, 1:53

I was tempted to cut short when the times went up but persevered - this session was more about finishing it than hitting targets. Aerobically I felt fine and did not really need the 4 min recovery but the legs are not ready to rock.

Again this week I did three sets of circuits afterwards. I probably will not do this every week but I had the time and was in the right place as I waited for my son to finish football training. In any case doing circuits after a session keeps with my philosophy of hard-days-hard...

Last Thursday, I did 5 x 1K starting at a leisurely 3:53 and working down to 3:15, off 3 min jog recovery. Had good weights session on Saturday and a hilly long run of 18K on Sunday with a fast finish. More of the same planned this week.

Thursday - 5x1K +6x50m hills

Times were 3:35, 3:28, 3:23, 3:23, 3:26 - more consistent than last week.
    After the 1st, 3rd and 5th reps, I did 2x50m hill sprints in 4 mins including recovery.
    Recovery for 2nd and 4th reps was 3 mins.

Still feeling aerobically strong if not fast.
    Thinking about a 5K at the end of the month to test it out.

• Advertisement

Tuesday's session was supposed to be 5x600m (1500 pace) [5 min rec]
    I got two done before getting kicked off the track to make way for the superstars of the Faroe Islands U19 soccer team to train on the infield. Not sure why they could not train while we ran but maybe it was for our own safety - there were a lot of shots off target! I could have argued but held my counsel and ran on the gravel path outside the fence.

The first one was 1:49, followed by 1:47. After that the distances were approximate so the times did not matter but the effort felt about right - hard. A good warm-up and cool-down brought the session to over 13km.

I also tried out my new Saucony Kinvara 3s this week. I know the 4's are out now but I'm too mean to buy the latest ones so it's discounted 3's for now. From all the reviews I was expecting these to be my new favourite running shoes. They do look very well but not so much of a wow-factor running in them.

I like the shiny outer fabric - should be good for rain. The fit is good - snug around the ankle and plenty of room in the toe-box, maybe too much. I was surprised how firm they felt underfoot - I expected more cushioning. The heel-toe drop is a little less than I am used to so I will break them in gently.

The main complaint I have with them is that they are noisy. I like to run silently (so I can sneak up behind people Ninja like). I think it's a combination of the room in the toe-box making them a bit flappy and the firm lugs on the forefoot hitting the ground that causes the noise. I won't kick them out of bed for that - maybe we will get used to each other over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Here is the link to the Athlone Races on the 18th https://events.athleticsireland.ie/ps/event/listings

Work and life have been pretty busy recently so I have not been updating this log at all.

Training is going ok.
    I'm getting the sessions done, mostly on my own so it's harder to gauge the quality.
    Mileage is about on a par or slightly ahead of last year.
    Probably what has suffered most has been the anciliary stuff - weight and core work.
    I felt I was struggling a bit with the faster stuff so I injected a speed development phase for the last two weeks.

My target race is the National Masters Indoor Championship, which is less than 6 weeks away now.
    I am hoping to do a few races over the coming weeks to test out how I am doing and keep me focused over the Christmas.

First up is the AIT Baseline Indoor Meet on Wednesday which hopefully will do what it says on the tin and provide a early season marker - I'm not expecting much. There are a few odd distance events and I'll give the 600m a go. Assuming I can get my life and work in order, I'll run it and get a PB anyway as I have never raced this distance before.

After that I will do a Goal Mile, on the 27th - hopefully I will have some company and push it out. Weather conditions are traditionally awful for this so again time will not be important. For both of these runs I will "focus on the process rather than the outcome" - bla, bla, bla.

I would like to do a 5K as well. Last year there was a local one the Sunday before Christmas but no word of it this year, maybe early next year.

Work and life have been pretty busy recently so I have not been updating this log at all.

Training is going ok.
    I'm getting the sessions done, mostly on my own so it's harder to gauge the quality.
    Mileage is about on a par or slightly ahead of last year.
    Probably what has suffered most has been the anciliary stuff - weight and core work.
    I felt I was struggling a bit with the faster stuff so I injected a speed development phase for the last two weeks.

My target race is the National Masters Indoor Championship, which is less than 6 weeks away now.
    I am hoping to do a few races over the coming weeks to test out how I am doing and keep me focused over the Christmas.

First up is the AIT Baseline Indoor Meet on Wednesday which hopefully will do what it says on the tin and provide a early season marker - I'm not expecting much. There are a few odd distance events and I'll give the 600m a go. Assuming I can get my life and work in order, I'll run it and get a PB anyway as I have never raced this distance before.

After that I will do a Goal Mile, on the 27th - hopefully I will have some company and push it out. Weather conditions are traditionally awful for this so again time will not be important. For both of these runs I will "focus on the process rather than the outcome" - bla, bla, bla.

I would like to do a 5K as well. Last year there was a local one the Sunday before Christmas but no word of it this year, maybe early next year.
    Dna, I hear their is one on in Donegal Town on Sunday and Santa Run in Sligo on Sunday also at Southern Hotel at 12

Dna, I hear their is one on in Donegal Town on Sunday and Santa Run in Sligo on Sunday also at Southern Hotel at 12

THanks - planning to do the Sligo one, are you?
    Is it me or is it the worst advertised race ever.

• Advertisement

Ran in Athlone Indoor Arena Baseline Event last night.
    Good event, generally well managed, super venue.

There were over 20 entered in the 600m in heats of 4 or 5.
    I think there was an attempt at grading but there were a few obviously out of their grade.
    Only 3 turned up in my heat of the 600m, I came second in about 1:30.
    Waiting for the official results to see if I ducked under.

The winner came in around 1:27 with the 3rd a few secs behind me.
    As we lined up I recognised one Galway guy as about a 4 min 1500m man and expected he would lead out.
    He's probably half my age and the other runner and few years younger again.

From the gun I got out well and was surprised to be in the lead as we broke lanes.
    I went through the first 200m in about 27s, with the other 2 not far behind.
    After about the half way mark the Galway guy eased past me and pushed on as I went through 400m in around 59s.
    I had to work hard over the last lap. I knew 3rd place was not far behind but he never really threatened.
    The clock stopped as the leader went over the line and I counted out the secs in my head 28, 29 - I ducked 30, should be close.

Before the race I was anxious about not being ready for a tough one and had visions of dropping out after 400m but in the end was satisfied with the performance and the "baseline". 600m is a distance I could get used to but I will not get the chance.

Update: Results are out 1:29.82 and he was half my age, that'll do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Solid race man and a great marker to put down mind Dec, bodes well

From hearing the results from a few people looks like like good quality standard there last night.

THanks - planning to do the Sligo one, are you?
    Is it me or is it the worst advertised race ever.

I only heard about it at the club. Think Il give this one a miss. If I do it it will be a last minute decision. The christmas biscuit tins are taking their toll!

Ran a local 5K on Sunday - the 2nd of my 3 planned low-key races over Christmas. I did 17:02 for this last year so the target was sub 17 to see if I was in the same sort of shape.

Just as we lined up for the start a fierce winter shower began. "Lets get going already". The first few hundred meters are downhill. Last year I held back over the first bit and picked people off over the next few and finished strong. This time I decided to go with gravity and start quickly. I marked my position off a few other masters even though there was no age category prizes.

I had a watch and had decided to clock the km splits but not to check it during the race. THe first km was 3:03 ! We then turned over by the quays where the shelter was minimal. I was glad I was wearing gloves but could have done with a hat too as the sleet shower froze my head, arghh.

Second km was 3:28. By now I had caught up with 2 younger lads - one junior who I expected would be furtehr ahead of me and a juvenile who recently medalled at National XC and was doing well. The older guy picked it up when I drew level, the younger guy surged on/off for the rest of the race. Next km was 3:40.

I missed the 4th km marker and as came near the finish I picked it up a little going ahead of the younger runner. The finish was changed from last year and almost caught me by surprise. As I turned into the last stretch, one of the organisers called 16:51. The young lad put in sprint finish and passed me. I could have let him go but it is just not in my nature. I did enough to draw level and we crossed the line at the same time.

I was slow to stop my watch at 17:10 with a 7 min final 2K so probably it was almost exactly the same as last year - good enough especially given the conditions. I was soaked through and felt wretched though I had not fully extended myself. I abandoned plans for a cool down 5K and we went back to a local hotel for some afters. Despite getting into dry clothes and getting 2 cups of tea and food I just could not get warm so I headed home. It took a long shower and 2 bowls of chicken soup before I felt human again.

Still waiting for the results to be published but it does not matter too much. THe winner was around 15 mins with a few good young lads in tow. I probably finished about 12th and first master but who's counting (just me).

I have a lot of catching up to do here so this will be a long one, or maybe a few long ones.

First why have I not been posting more often?
    Well a combination of reasons, work has been busy, busier than I like.
    Also I have not been getting much out of the log, either in terms of crystallising my own thoughts or interaction. But I know you only get back what you put in.
    I also did not want to give too much away. I picked up during the summer that some of my race competitors drop into this log and that has made me a bit reluctant to post.
    Finally I was not happy about how training had been going and did not want to come on here either BSing that I was doing well or moaning.
    More about this later.

First the race. National Masters O45 800m Indoors in Athlone. I have won indoors and out for the last 2 years so I guess I was favourite. I saw the field in advance so knew what to expect. CM who I have beaten over 800m outdoors the last 2 years was focusing on the 1500, as was the guy who came 2nd to me in Athlone last year. One potential competitor who moved up from V2 was only down for the 400. Were they avoiding me and giving me too much respect? I knew the main competition would be from KC who was 3rd in Tullamore last year, 3s behind me but I think he was just coming back from injury then.

My plan was to sit and kick, trust my speed to take me home as it has done the last 2 years. We started with the O50s and I shared a lane for the first bend with a guy who I am sure posts here ocassionally. It was his first time back on track in 20 years and he graciously let me pick the inside of the lane for the start.

Coming around the first bend 3 of us were more or less level. I slotted in behind the Derry guy with KC behind me. We went through 200m in 32s, I was right up on the shoulder of the leader, holding myself back. I would have liked it to be a bit faster but I did not have the courage to take it on myself. If it had been faster I would have sat back more on the inside and maybe relaxed. As it was I was tipping against the leader, putting him under pressure. At 400m we were 64s, not fast but still working.

Down the back straight KC made a move to the front and I followed him with a neat change of pace, all good. Now I sat in behind him and waited. Last lap, another change of pace down the straight and into the lead. I gapped him, he should have been gone but I did not run the bend agressively. Coming off the bend I held a good position on the edge of lane 1, no room on the inside. Again I did not kick on. By the time he came around the outside, it was too late I could not respond.

2nd in 2:07.98 - over 2s slower than last year and I was the one out-kicked. That's not the way it is supposed to happen. Post-mortem later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Nice report and hard luck. What was the winning time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Hard luck D, you will get it back. Your reasons for not updating your log are the same as mine.

Unlucky Dna. Maybe your successful 2 years has left you a few notches below the drive level you had? Only you can answer that. Would you have dug deeper if it was to be your first success? From my own experiences I am always intrigued as to how frame of mind can dictate performance so much. A split second delay in positive decision making and boom opportunity gone. All your left with is what ifs.

Don't be too hard on yourself. We all know that form comes in cycles. Some seasons for whatever reason you lose the love, it becomes an internal battle to stick to a schedule. You go through the motions. You question why am I actually doing this (these are all things I have experienced myself - maybe not applicable to you?). We put so much pressure on ourselves and sometimes our goals are not achieved.

I have no doubt that everyone at every level of running from people like yourself who competes for national masters titles down to new runners who want to break the hour for 10k puts undue pressure on themselves.

You have had a few very successful years that some people can only dream about. Do you need to step back from it a bit for a while, re-assess, tear up the schedule for a few weeks, put away the watch, stay away from the track and just find the love again? Get your mojo back (if its gone)and attack your goals with renewed vigour.

On the training log thing, I have nothing but the utmost of respect for you and all the people on here who are brave enough to lay themselves bare to the boards running public. It is intriguing to see how people approach training, races and life in so many different ways. I spent all this weekend debating whether I would start a training log. I decided not to because I can let running consume my life totally. I think I get more back from sifting through your thread and several others for inspiration and guidance.

Chin up. Id say its nothing but a minor blip. Use yesterday to drive you on again. There is nothing like having a new target to whet the running appetite!:)

Nice report and hard luck. What was the winning time?

Winner was 0.2s ahead so less than a meter.
    100% the difference was not driving into the bend and kicking hard off it. I took the lead with 100m to go, remember it's a 200m track so there was no excuse for not winning. And it's always Ok to ask. ;-)

@conavitzky you are spot on with your analysis. More on this later. I'm learning from the master of suspense. !

This photo was taken by Lindie Naughton on the 3rd lap. That's KC on the outside just taking the lead for the first time and me on the inside.

p80562075-3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I only seen the last 40m of your race. Was talking to others after my disaster. You looked relax coming off the last bend and KC came off the bend more aggressively. I think he went for the finish line just before you.

Will you race again this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Great report. Honest and good analysis of the race. I know you're disappointed but the margin was tiny. A bit more aggression and you'd have done it. That's the thing with the '8', there's no room for error, especially in the closing stages. The next time you're doing a hard session you'll remember the race. Also, it's good that the acceleration is still there - a sweet tool. Well done.

Straight after my race on Saturday, I put on my hat and gloves and went for a long cool down. I just headed out the road and turned around after 20 mins. Normally I would not be fit to walk to the car after a race so the fact that I could run for 40 mins told its own story. I had not really emptied the tank during the race. However the 40 min run gave me good time to think. I know I should not over-analyse one race but it is probably an appropriate time anyway.

The question in my head was did I lose because I had not done the work or because I was not mentally up for it. The answer of course is a combination of the two.

I could make excuses like I had a bug 10 days ago and in fact it has come back with a vengence today but I felt fine during the race. I could also say it's just because I am older and I have reached my peak after 7 years back running but I don't actually believe that.

On the physical preparation, on the whole it was very similar to last year when I ran 2:05 from the front and and a few weeks later 2:02 in a paced race. However last year I was focused on that 2:05 target and was prepared to do what was needed to get it, including leading the field from gun to tape. I did benefit from having a training partner in late 2012, although he was aiming for sub 10 3K, we did similar VO2 workouts and pushed each other along. He has already been in touch to make plans to join up for a few sessions in the coming weeks.

THere were probably a few other things which I did do differently, I did less ancilliary work and I also did a few weeks speed development in December. I had also done a similar speed development phase in May/June and while it was great for boosting my speed to run a 55s 400m, it did not help my 800m race preparation and probably brings me to a peak too early. I should have known better than to repeat that this time around. I should trust in the strength work, while keeping in touch with speed but not sacrificing one for the other.

A key reason for this is my relatively low base. I can count on one hand the number of weeks >50 miles in the last year. For someone trying to to run low (or sub) 2 mins that's just not enough. If the base is low there are only so many times you can go to the well without draining it dry. I have looked at a few training schedules of athletes running low 2 mins for 800m - the closest comparison is up-and-coming female 800m runners (like Laura Muir who ran 2.00 indoors this weekend) and I am nowhere near the volume of training they put in. In fact I take some solace in the fact that I have done as well as I have off this mileage.

On the mental preparation, a lot of stuff was fine. Some stuff could be better like more sleep (mostly in my control), less stress (mostly outside my control). I also did not pay enough attention to the minor details. As an example I decided to have beetroot juice for the first time on the day of the race. I like fresh beetroots but the juice tasted like muck. It did not affect my race but I should have known better than to try something new on race day.

But the big mental difference to last year was that I did not have a clear target. I did not say it to everyone but 2:05.0 was ingrained in my head last year. My only plan coming into this year was to win the indoor race but that also depends on other people - who turns up and what shape they are in. I needed to have an internal goal and it should have been sub 2 min for 800m. Although that's a big target, it's only just over 2% improvement - like going from a 3:03 marathon to a 2:59. It only becomes a barrier if you create it that way. On my post-race run I was reminded of a quote from Mo Greene - if you want to be number 1, train like you are number 2 - I did not do that.

I know I have over-analysed one race but its a timely reminder if I want to push on.

So action plan:
    Increase mileage.
    Drop speed development until just before racing.
    Take up that offer from my training partner to do at least some workouts together.
    Pay attention to the small stuff.
    Set a target and commit to it - actually this is the first task, the rest will follow.
    Short term, I'll can my indoor season and focus on the longer term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I think your post mortem is pretty bang on the money. With regards the ancillary work I know myself how vital a role this can play in keeping in touch with speed especially when running higher mileage and I think that is why it worked for you so well last year.

Also I think your focus on an internal goal is an important one to. Setting out to win is all well and good but you need to be able to have the confidence say "right X is here but I know I am in 2 min shape so I know I will have him" the external without an internal factor leaves too much room for doubt etc to creep in.

Best of luck pushing on from this, any race we learn something from is a good race IMO and something that will stand to you

Business trips are not usually a subject for the rave thread but this one almost makes it as I made the best of a short notice trip to Munich.

Instead of getting up at silly o'clock to get the early morning flight on Thursday, I went the night before which gave plenty of time for a morning run before my meetings. Did 4x10 min threshold off 2 min around a 2km gravel path loop next to the airport that I found on a previous trip. Strangest sight was one of the locals taking his German Shepherd / Husky for a walk on the same path. Dog out in front, him following in the Mercedes like a husky pulling a sledge.

Since I was not rushing for the late flight home that evening, I even managed a recovery run after work - there's a first for everything. First double day in a while - 30 mins very easy, some of it on the grass verge. I felt entitled to a bottle of the local Erdinger Weiss-beer after that.

Next morning I followed a new car-free route just after dawn for about 10K at a nice easy pace for 50 mins. Close to the airport I ran towards a herd of deer. They were as surprised as I was and took off just as I approached. For a fleeting moment I was paleo-man on a persistence hunt as I separated one from the herd. It did not last long as he headed into the long grass.

Mileage is building up nicely as I head towards a record week which included a track session on Tuesday as well as the threshold run on Thursday. Track session featured some 5K, mile and 800m pace work. Must not get carried away though.

I also bought the Kindle PC version of "Science of Running" by Steve Magness and read some of it during the trip. So far so good. The science bit will need a few reads until it all sinks in but it is still relatively accessible. It could do with few more diagrams and some rigorous proof-reading but it's heading towards running book of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

What are you training for at the minute? Is your focus now on the outdoor season?

pconn062 wrote: »
    What are you training for at the minute? Is your focus now on the outdoor season?

I'll do a few 5ks in coming weeks maybe an 8k or 10k and then make plans for the summer.

I ran a local 5K yesterday. I was not expecting a PB on hilly course but a competitive race would do me good. After a fine morning the rain started just before the race.

Three lads went off quickly from the start. I debated whether to go with them. One is a sub 16:20, another has finished one place ahead of me in at least 3 other 5K races. The 3rd younger guy I thought was more of a track junkie like myself.

They hit the first K in 3:10 and I was 7s back. After that I let them go but hoped the 3rd guy would not stick the pace and I could catch him later. My 2nd km was 3:42 and the group was 15-20s ahead. Just then the 3rd placer looked back and I knew I had a chance.

By now the hills were rolling and picked it up bit halving the gap over the next lap in 3:38 and caught up with him before the 4K mark. The next 500m were up a cork-screw hill. I tested him a little midway up, he responded. Before the top, I made a decisive move. With 400 to go, I kicked again to be sure and finished strongly in 3rd place.

The last 2 kms were average 3:29 but my overall time was a disappointing 17:37 but it felt like 17 mins. The winner was about 17 mins, also well down on his best so maybe blame the course. Despite the time I enjoyed the racing and it gives me a marker of where I am in this phase.

Good run yesterday dna. You looked fairly comfortable hitting the finish line.

• Advertisement

Good run yesterday dna. You looked fairly comfortable hitting the finish line.

Cheers, why were you watching instead of running, not injured I hope?

Advertisement