Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving someone's car which didn't have any tax or insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

guil wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure number 4 means that no other company is insuring you on the other car, i used the third party extension for years

Yes - they are basically saying that if there is an accident, you can only claim from one insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Vertakill wrote: »
    Quinn Direct's policies have "Open Drive" for people over 18 with a full license.
    I think they're one of the only ones that have this for that age group though.
    mathepac wrote: »
    Not according to their website - http://www.quinn-direct.com/car-insurance/policy-summary.html Based on their linked policy booklet and my experiences with them, this is only available as an option which would be consistent with most other companies.
    My post was in response to corktina's comment about it only being for over 25yo's.
    However, my post explained that Open Drive was available at 18 from Quinn Direct.. and you've linked the Quinn Direct booklet which verifies that it is an option on their policies... so I don't see where I'm wrong?

"Driving Other Cars" is the strict one, where it's nearly always 25+ for all companies.
    Incorrect. Just using Quinn as an example, their site states that this extension "Applies to most policies" and again that would be consistent with most other companies.
    That's nearly, literally exactly what I wrote? I specifically put "where it's nearly always 25+ for all companies".
    I may have worded it a bit poorly but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that I was saying nearly all companies operate the same way.

I'm pretty sure "Driving Other Cars" only covers the driver when the car's owner has an active insurance policy.
    Incorrect. Again using Quinn as an example, their policy booklet specifically states that their "Driving Other Cars" extension only applies if (among other all other conditions) there is no other insurance on the car in question.
    It's all well and good quoting Quinn here and there but Quinn don't exactly operate like every other insurance company.
    That's why I mentioned some of their perks in my first post.

However, you'll find that nearly every other company DOES operate the way I explained.
    Most companies will specify that the 'other car' has an active insurance policy on it in order to deter people abusing this option.

Here's a post about Quinn's strange criteria that 'may' cover you in the event of an accident while driving someone elses car that's not insured. I wouldn't like to test this out though.
    http://www.octane.ie/forum/showpost.php?p=158792&postcount=22
    I'm also pretty certain the only thing that could possibly have covered the OP is "Third Party Extension" which would give him Third Party cover even if the car had no active insurance policy. But it has to have had a valid Tax/NCT cert, which the car didn't.
    I've never heard of this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    You mean, the reason you haven't heard of it is because the Quinn Direct booklet didn't explain it for you? :rolleyes:

Here's a thread about it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64077730

There are some stipulations in place for nearly all policies and each insurance company may differ somewhat (especially QD).

It seems that you may have your wires crossed about terminology and options / extensions.
    No I don't. I merely put forward suggestions of some circumstances where the OP may have been legitimately covered to drive the car in the eyes of the Garda that pulled him over in order to try and understand why the Garda didn't seize the car straight away.

Advertisement