Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn Third Party Extension (22 y/o, M3)

Options
  • 19-01-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

I was talking to a mate of mine earlier and he's currently looking at 01-02 M3's. He's in his early twenties so naturally I asked how he was going to afford the insurance. He told me that he has the third party extension with Quinn and once the car is NCT'd, taxed and registered in someone else's name he can drive it.

I thought the car had to be insured by someone other than himself and he told me he thought the same but he then contacted Quinn and told him the car didn't have to be insured. He has this in writing, apparently.

Is this true? Can he get an M3, register it in his dads name and then drive it himself provided it's NCT'd and taxed???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It doesn't need to be insured by someone else.

and yes, he can technically drive it but it's insured third party only, under the very basics of the law..if it's stolen or even torched he has ZERO comeback.
    and 123.ie will insure anyone with a full license and a few years no claims on an m3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I'm pretty sure that the third party extension only applies to occasional use. I don't think that it would apply to car that primarily driven by the policy holder.

Would he be insured, yes for the purposes of getting through a garda checkpoint, but making a claim could be ropey.

I'd get professional advice before I tried it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

SV wrote: »
    It doesn't need to be insured by someone else.

and yes, he can technically drive it but it's insured third party only, under the very basics of the law..if it's stolen or even torched he has ZERO comeback.
    and 123.ie will insure anyone with a full license and a few years no claims on an m3.
    He's running the risk of losing €15K if it's stolen, but he's still saving at least €4-5K a year in insurance.

I'm pretty sure that the third party extension only applies to occasional use. I don't think that it would apply to car that primarily driven by the policy holder.

Would he be insured, yes for the purposes of getting through a garda checkpoint, but making a claim could be ropey.

I'd get professional advice before I tried it tbh.
    He's planning on having it as a weekend car because he drives a commercial jeep during the week.

What happens when you go through a garda checkpoint? Would you have an insurance disc?

I would have thought that a lot more people would be taking advantage of this...yes, most would not like to run the risk of basically being uninsured should the car get robbed, but what about the young lads that want to have an M3/Skyline/Evo but can't, mainly because of the high insurance costs? I would think a lot of these would be willing to take the risk if it means they can legally drive their very own high performance car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    What happens when you go through a garda checkpoint? Would you have an insurance disc?
    That's the thing, you would be insured, but the car wouldn't have a disk. If a garda choose to, (s)he could fine you for failure to display.
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I would have thought that a lot more people would be taking advantage of this...yes, most would not like to run the risk of basically being uninsured should the car get robbed, but what about the young lads that want to have an M3/Skyline/Evo
    I dare say that a young lad in an M3/Evo/Skyline is exactly who a garda would choose to fine for failure to display.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Some people just don’t get it. This is fraud. The requirement of this extension is that the person driving the vehicle (as in your friend) doesn't own it. It doesn’t matter whose name is on the registration cert. Ownership in the eyes of the law does not come down to whose name is on the reg cert, it is about legal ownership.

I don’t really have the time at the moment to get into the intricacies of insurance law and all the rest. The basic point is that if the insurer had know the full facts, would they have taken on the risk and if they were to, under what terms would they underwrite it. It is fraud because there is non-disclosure of the material facts as well as misrepresentation.

Basically Quinn will render the contract null and void – It’s as simple as that.....he'll will not be insured!

I do however think its time that Quinn ammended their policies so that people would stop trying to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well techincly you if you drive that car more then for 30 days, then you are fudged... Its a small gap, how they catch such M3 drivers...

thought technicly you could drop in insurance disc from the car you insure inside, and on the checkpoint just tell: " mine car broke down, so i drive this now, heres mine disc, heres mine policy, and here where its written that i can drive ather car thats is not in mine name". I really doubt gard will whant to go with all the hassel...

i would do that to get insured on skyline :rolleyes:. i am allmoust 24 with no accsidents and those scumbags wount give me insurance... thought they can give on 200sx, 740i, c70 t5, accord type-r and list goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

well techincly you if you drive that car more then for 30 days, then you are fudged... Its a small gap, how they catch such M3 drivers....

30 days? What happens then? How could they know how many days you've driven it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Here it is as written on the Quinn Direct Policy book,

"Driving other cars
    If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover
    you, the policyholder, for your liability to other people while
    you are driving any other private motor car which you do
    not own or have not hired or leased, as long as:
    1 the vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to them
    under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
    2 you currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
    3 the use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of
    insurance;
    4 cover is not provided by any other insurance;
    5 you have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
    6 the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition; and
    7 you still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged
    beyond cost-effective repair"

Its a very grey area really and he would have much come back in the event of an accident or if someone is injured.
    Not a good idea really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

22YO + M3 + no insurance disc = hassle at checkpoints. It doesn't really matter about the technicalities, he'll still get hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

thought technicly you could drop in insurance disc from the car you insure inside, and on the checkpoint just tell: " mine car broke down, so i drive this now, heres mine disc, heres mine policy, and here where its written that i can drive ather car thats is not in mine name". I really doubt gard will whant to go with all the hassel....
    Please, please don't anyone do that. It is deemed to be an offence and people have been prosecuted. An insurance disc is specific to one vehicle (other than a trade or open fleet disc)and only proves it has a current policy, not the driver.

Carry your Certificate around with you to prove you have the driving of other cars extension but as someone pointed out earlier, failure to display a disc is an offence and you cannot tax a vehicle without it's own insurance, so there is another offence waiting

Bottom line to everybody, for every new cute solution some bright spark has dreamed up to bypass the insurance system, insurers would have heard it 20 years ago. They will win out in the end. Obviously, if you never get pulled by the Gardai or have an accident you will probably get away with it but is it worth it if you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

The car is only technically insured when OP would be driving it - the moment it is parked it reverts to an uninsured vehicle.

If a Garda or traffic warden noticed it on a public street then it will receive a ticket (to its registered owner) for initially failure to display insurance and ultimately no insurance - sure OPs mate will be happy with that.

Every check point will be a discussion - is it really worth the hassle?

Do you really think with Quinn's reputation for pay out they will not look for the insurance status of the BMW (regardless of their policy terms) and then start to dig into the background of ownership - it would not take a genius to figure out the scam (and I am sure they have seen it before).

I don't know why insurers don't just come into line and demand that for their third party extensions to operate the vehicle must be insured in its own right.

Bottom line if you cannot afford a BMW M3 then don't get one.

Advertisement