Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

So to be clear, someone decided to resurface the road from the start of the M9 to the first bridge (Kilcullen exit) the same time they are closing a lane for an extraordianry distance to build two petrol stations either side and then close another section completely.

It must be a nightmare to drive that stretch in the morning now.

Have they come close to finishing the resurfacing at least or will we need to suffer that through Christmas along with driving 1 lane to look at an empty building site for 4-5 miles?

Will they give back the lane at some point during the contrsturction of the service stations considering or will they need more space to park the vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭rameire

The lanes were opened on Friday till sunday, and closed again today, they are repainting the lines so they should probably be open fully tomorrow.
    also its only one service station we are getting between jn 2 and 3, its on the northbound side, hence the new bridge.

also the other section was only closed for 1 week instead of 2.

as for been a nightmare, I drive it in the morning northbound and its no problem.

the problem I have is the quality of the new surface, its just shiite.
    its bumpy, I dont see why they resurfaced, its as bad as the old surface they replaced.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

I will be driving on that stretch of the m9 later in the week. I will report back

Cheers
    Flop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Long term would it not actually be better to do the lot at one go? It reduces the overall time of lane closures on the motorway and is one section is down to 1 lane then there probably is negligible difference in reducing to one lane in an adjacent section
    So to be clear, someone decided to resurface the road from the start of the M9 to the first bridge (Kilcullen exit) the same time they are closing a lane for an extraordianry distance to build two petrol stations either side and then close another section completely.

It must be a nightmare to drive that stretch in the morning now.

Have they come close to finishing the resurfacing at least or will we need to suffer that through Christmas along with driving 1 lane to look at an empty building site for 4-5 miles?

Will they give back the lane at some point during the contrsturction of the service stations considering or will they need more space to park the vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

nordydan wrote: »
    Long term would it not actually be better to do the lot at one go? It reduces the overall time of lane closures on the motorway and is one section is down to 1 lane then there probably is negligible difference in reducing to one lane in an adjacent section

contraflow wouldn't work on that section of the m9 (or any other section give the concrete barriers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

if im not mistaken there are sections of the central barrier that are removable. Large steel sections I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

rameire wrote: »
    the problem I have is the quality of the new surface, its just shiite.
    its bumpy, I dont see why they resurfaced, its as bad as the old surface they replaced.

I thought it was just me who noticed this. I couldn't believe how bumpy it was the first time I went down it! It did need to be resurfaced though as the surface had been breaking up in a few spots over the last year or so particularly under the bridges for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

The weather was dry on the way up this week so I could not tell if that drainage work from J4 -> J3 was successful or not.

As for the re-surfacing southbound from J1->J2, it's a bit shoddy to say the least. It almost feels like a temporary surface. The road was still down to one lane on Thursday as they cut back trees.

A special shout out to the Newlands X flyover. Took 1hr 50mins to get to West Dublin from Dungarvan. Back in 2005 it used to take 4 hrs :-(

Flop

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bizguy

I thought it was just me who noticed this. I couldn't believe how bumpy it was the first time I went down it!

Could the contractor be forced to redo it or are we stuck with it...like the 500 meter back-of-a-shovel section between Kilkenny and Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

bizguy wrote: »
    Could the contractor be forced to redo it or are we stuck with it...like the 500 meter back-of-a-shovel section between Kilkenny and Waterford?

Is this the price we pay for not having a toll on the M9?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

hi5 wrote: »
    Is this the price we pay for not having a toll on the M9?

No. AFAIK shadow tolling exists so contractor doesn't lose out. Although recent issues on M18 in Clare would make you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Any of the new patches on m8 are poor too.

Passed the new Bridge and service area in the last hour,
    looks like they are setting the area up for some small diversions.
    looks like they will be working on the bridge,
    thus cars going northbound and southbound will be diverted up and over the new slip roads.

the following is what is on Kildare Co Co
    The M9 Northbound and Southbound between Junction 3 (Athy) and Junction 2 (Kilcullen) from Thursday, 18 December 2014 at 8.00pm to Friday, 19 December 2014 at 6.00am

This closure is necessary to facilitate the ongoing construction of a new bridge structure across the carriageway.

Maybe they are changing their plan.
    or maybe it is nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This seems to have dragged on for an eternity. All they were doing is a flyover and slip roads. Remember being stuck here going to the All Ireland way back in early september. About time it was finished and back to normal as it's very disruptive to traffic flows.

To be fair, notice was given that the restrictions would be in place till around now iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I drive this road a lot to Kildare. Something I notice is the lack of county border signs, Carlow have one southbound and Kildare have one northbound.
    Kilkenny had one southbound but don't see it anymore?

Can someone shed light on this?

STIG83 wrote: »
    I drive this road a lot to Kildare. Something I notice is the lack of county border signs, Carlow have one southbound and Kildare have one northbound.
    Kilkenny had one southbound but don't see it anymore?

Can someone shed light on this?

Anyone?

Are the lane restrictions south of Kilcullen going to remain for much longer? Overbridge appears to be up now after all this time, i thought it was just going to be Sept-Dec last, clearly not the case.

road_high wrote: »
    Are the lane restrictions south of Kilcullen going to remain for much longer? Overbridge appears to be up now after all this time, i thought it was just going to be Sept-Dec last, clearly not the case.

Has the building of the service area even begun? Haven't driven it in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

STIG83 wrote: »
    Has the building of the service area even begun? Haven't driven it in a couple of weeks.

I don't think so, bar earth works and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

road_high wrote: »
    I don't think so, bar earth works and the like.

No building work done yet just on/off roads and bridge and site clearance. Hopefully building work will fly up when they start. Decision due on station at psulstown on the 2nd of Feb hopefully it'll get go ahead too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Just wondering. I posted in another thread and the topic of the end of the M9 came up. I thought that the way it ends and the integration of the M9, N24 and M25 is beyond awful.

However I read that this is not the full plan and that one the N24 is upgraded it will look quite different. Anyone have any maps or an explanation of how it will look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just wondering. I posted in another thread and the topic of the end of the M9 came up. I thought that the way it ends and the integration of the M9, N24 and M25 is beyond awful.

However I read that this is not the full plan and that one the N24 is upgraded it will look quite different. Anyone have any maps or an explanation of how it will look.

That would be the Mooncoin Bypass section of the N24. As far as I can tell, that got suspended when everything started to go bang on the financial front.

I can't remember whether I read it somewhere or I'm just guessing, but I think the plan was for a fourth exit off the Quarry Roundabout. This is where the M9 and N24 now meet, and it would probably slot into the space between those two roads, i.e. to the north of the current N24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

where you going from/to?

M7 and M9.

Come off at Carlow South, head through Ballon and Bunclody.

The lane restrictions at Kilcullen will barely slow you down for 3 or 4 minutes.... Be grand.

it takes a minute to get through the roadworks for the new services.
    the roadworks for the resurfacing and the tree cutting are gones ages now.

• Advertisement

Advertisement