Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What wrong with the road, resurfacing?

I'm not 100% sure but I'd say its the patch that they repaired a few years back. They did a rubbish job and it was rough and uneven since they re-did it. On the northbound between Mullinavat and Knocktopher, less than half-way I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

road_high wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but I'd say its the patch that they repaired a few years back. They did a rubbish job and it was rough and uneven since they re-did it. On the northbound between Mullinavat and Knocktopher, less than half-way I'd say.

No it is southbound, not northbound. They are working around at the crossing that has seen a few bad accidents since it opened. Very slippery in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭rameire

Major closure of M9 coming soon North Bound between Jn 4 Castledermot and Jn 3 Athy.

Road will be closed for 11 Days

The M9 Northbound between Junction 4 (Castledermot) and Junction 3 (Athy)

From Monday 10 November 2014 at 9.00am to Friday 21 November 2014 at 6.00pm

This closure is necessary to facilitate essential drainage maintenance and repair.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

smaller closures thay may be less problematic

The M9 Northbound and Southbound between Junction 3 (Athy) and Junction 2 (Kilcullen)

From Friday 21 November 2014 at 7.00pm to Sunday 23 November 2014 at 6.00am

And

From Friday 28 November 2014 at 7.00pm to Sunday 30 November 2014 at 6.00am

This closure is necessary to facilitate the installation of Bridge Beams for a new structure across the carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I live in Castledermot.
    This gonna suck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

rameire wrote: »
    Major closure of M9 coming soon North Bound between Jn 4 Castledermot and Jn 3 Athy.

Road will be closed for 11 Days

The M9 Northbound between Junction 4 (Castledermot) and Junction 3 (Athy)

From Monday 10 November 2014 at 9.00am to Friday 21 November 2014 at 6.00pm

This closure is necessary to facilitate essential drainage maintenance and repair.

What's wrong with this road? It is fairly new motorway. Was it badly designed? Damaged? What is the problem with the drainage?

Closing new motorway completely for more than a few hours is not normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Geogregor wrote: »
    What's wrong with this road? It is fairly new motorway. Was it badly designed? Damaged? What is the problem with the drainage?

Closing new motorway completely for more than a few hours is not normal.

Adding in a service station between the junctions of Kilcullen and Athy I believe. As part of it, they are also adding in a flyover which is what this particular closure is for, the installation of support beams for the bridge.

Yawns wrote: »
    Adding in a service station between the junctions of Kilcullen and Athy I believe. As part of it, they are also adding in a flyover which is what this particular closure is for, the installation of support beams for the bridge.

The beams' installation could be done during overnight closures. Anyway, they only shutting it for a weekend for that reason.

My question was more about the drainage repairs. Was it badly designed? Damaged by some freak weather event? What happened?

If I understood correctly they are closing the motorway completely for over a week. That's weird. Couldn't they narrow it to one lane in each direction or install contraflow?

The drainage on the M9 along that section was always a shambles imo. Design was badly done. Way too much surface water on a new motorway whenever it rained. It could certainly have been avoided with a better design. But here we are within a few years, closing a new motorway to repair it already.

The drainage on the M9 along that section was always a shambles imo. Design was badly done. Way too much surface water on a new motorway whenever it rained. It could certainly have been avoided with a better design. But here we are within a few years, closing a new motorway to repair it already.

We had similar situation on the motorway A1 in Poland, right near my home town.
    But they didn't shut it completely to do repairs, they did it one lane at the time and kept road narrower but open.
    They had to change geometry of the road and add more drainage as well.

What is the scope of the repairs on the M9? Will they change geometry of the road or just add more drainage?

• Advertisement

Not sure tbh. It's been down to one lane for a number of weeks now if not longer. I don't have a clue what redesigns they have if any.

the week long closure is the stretch between jn 3 and jn 4.
    the new service build is between jn 2 and jn 3.
    so a different stretch of the M9.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

11 days. That is some closure alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

M1,J3 overbridge was put in with some overnight closures, maybe 3 nights...

Not sure tbh. It's been down to one lane for a number of weeks now if not longer. I don't have a clue what redesigns they have if any.

How long is the problematic stretch?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Geogregor wrote: »
    The beams' installation could be done during overnight closures. Anyway, they only shutting it for a weekend for that reason.

My question was more about the drainage repairs. Was it badly designed? Damaged by some freak weather event? What happened?

If I understood correctly they are closing the motorway completely for over a week. That's weird. Couldn't they narrow it to one lane in each direction or install contraflow?

Contraflow a no go since concrete median barriers went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

I drove from Dublin to M9 Junction 6 yesterday evening. There is plenty of days on the M9 even without the J3 -> J4 closure.

That resurfacing at the start of the M9 in Kildare added an extra 10 mins to the journey. Plenty of rubbernecking where the MSA is being built to.

Any idea when the MSA is due to be completed?

Cheers
    Flop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Who is the operator of the services?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Who is the operator of the services?

Denis O'Brien (Topaz) or Larry Goodman (Applegreen)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Denis O'Brien (Topaz) or Larry Goodman (Applegreen)

What links, if any, does Goodman have to Applegreen?

The entire share capital of the overall company is owned by Bob Etchingham and Joe Barrett as of the last annual return.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The work has begun on the stretch that's closed, saw them dig into the embankment on the way home from Dublin but otherwise little happening.

Resurfacing at the start of the M9 is ongoing but the new surface appears to have had lots of surface water on it, on the closed side, so I assume a bit to go yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

L1011 wrote: »
    What links, if any, does Goodman have to Applegreen?

He supplies them with burgers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ardmacha wrote: »
    He supplies them with burgers.

He also supplies Aldi. Doesn't mean he owns Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Sully wrote: »
    The work has begun on the stretch that's closed, saw them dig into the embankment on the way home from Dublin but otherwise little happening.

Resurfacing at the start of the M9 is ongoing but the new surface appears to have had lots of surface water on it, on the closed side, so I assume a bit to go yet

nra website says work there until 20th December

M9 nb jn 4 to jn 3 has reopened a week early

Thank god. Castledermot was a pain on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

rameire wrote: »
    M9 nb jn 4 to jn 3 has reopened a week early

Yeah saw that, is the work complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭omicron

Roryhy wrote: »
    Yeah saw that, is the work complete?

Didn't realise it was open early til I drove it today, seems to be complete, there were a few cones in the verge at one point but no other signs of ongoing work.

the resurfacing where the work was done just at the 2nd or 3rd bridge north of the exit is very shoddy tbh. it's very wavy, for want of a better way of describing it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Al Capwned wrote: »
    the resurfacing where the work was done just at the 2nd or 3rd bridge north of the exit is very shoddy tbh. it's very wavy, for want of a better way of describing it...
    Yeah. Car kind of wobbled over it. Very uneven patch.

Advertisement