Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions to improve Limerick traffic

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Twin-go wrote: »
    At least they could have put warning signs before the ballysimon exit and I could have taken that and been on time:mad::mad:.

They do have warning signs.

Roadworks at Finnegans Roundabout.
    LONG DELAYS EXPECTED

This is just before the ballysimon offramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

had some visitors who saw the signs "roadworks at Finnegans" but didn't know where Finnegans were so they landed smack bang into middle of chaos. Pity signs didn't actually state "exit X " or whatever.

anyway, when this road gets sorted it'll surely ease off more traffic in the city and be even less need for the new lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Traffic coming into limerick from shannon was terrible this morning. Exit 4 on the dual carriageway was backed up for about 500 metres before the turn off!
    I couldnt believe it!
    I understand the tunnel was brought in to stop people having to sit in traffic, but i was not aware at the time the councils were going to implement traffic changes to force traffic jams.
    Luckily i can take the tunnel, but even exiting it was delayed, as traffic was backed up all the way around the roundabout. From the foynes road, down the dock road, and up as far as quinns cross roundabout, all backed up.
    Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

phill106 wrote: »
    Traffic coming into limerick from shannon was terrible this morning. Exit 4 on the dual carriageway was backed up for about 500 metres before the turn off!
    I couldnt believe it!
    I understand the tunnel was brought in to stop people having to sit in traffic, but i was not aware at the time the councils were going to implement traffic changes to force traffic jams.
    Luckily i can take the tunnel, but even exiting it was delayed, as traffic was backed up all the way around the roundabout. From the foynes road, down the dock road, and up as far as quinns cross roundabout, all backed up.
    Crazy!

Exit 4 is around the Radisson? What is the cause of the back-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

shg101 wrote: »

Yes thats the one. Not sure as i now always go the tunnel way, despite thinking i wouldnt :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

shg101 wrote: »

They are putting in another roundabout and are putting down surfacing- as a result the traffic needs to be stopped. Is due to be finished on the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Any good Conspiracy Theorist would blame the City Council for creating the traffic jams by installing 16 sets of traffic lights at stupid and unnecessary locations all over the City in order to force People to use the Tunnel :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Raiser wrote: »
    Any good Conspiracy Theorist would blame the City Council for creating the traffic jams by installing 16 sets of traffic lights at stupid and unnecessary locations all over the City in order to force People to use the Tunnel :eek:
    Wait a minute Raiser, All 16 set of Traffic lights are not install yet. It was confirm in the city council meeting that only 4 are installed. With these 4, it has already making an impact on city traffic, even with the Tunnel/Recession removing most Vehicles from City Streets and roads. Can you imagine what all 16 will do for the city?
    Absolute gridlock & CHAOS, with the city planners contributing to the knock on effect of adding extra heat to Global warming, never mind the extra fuel and C02 and other pollutions been burn due to excessive stop/start motion.

129937.png

You do not need to be a good Conspiracy Theorist is easy to blame the city Council, just a terrible dumb ass one. Just be able to join the dots of evidence and ask one very simple question. Who installed the extra Traffic Lights that was not here before that cause me to delay my journey? I know I did not. Did Anyone else?

Oh also I am a witness and hundreds more at The Tunnel Construction Meeting that said that the City Council would create logjams to convince people to use the tunnel and they would start before the Tunnel open and continue after it will open, to rid themselves of cheap non-paying tolls drivers from using the Dock/Condell road. But instead they forgot about the rest of the population that needed a genuine reason to go into the city without having to get through the city. Hey if they do not want my business then I will stay away, causing traffic chaos is one way to rid people from the city. I am happy to oblige to stay away. I sure Cork/Ennis/Nenagh will want it.

limklad wrote: »
    ...... the City Council would create logjams to convince people to use the tunnel .... to rid themselves of cheap non-paying tolls drivers from using the Dock/Condell road. But instead they forgot about the rest of the population that needed a genuine reason to go into the city without having to get through the city.

they also forgot about the people who need to use the Dock Road for access to businesses and schools. The MD of Direct Route stated in Limerick Leader last week that they were disappointed with traffic through Clonmacken Toll Plaza and thought more people should use it for going to schools. Well I hope they didn't put in that Plaza and all its associated costs on that assumption cos a simple exercise would have shown that there isn't a single school that could make this route a viable option from Caherdavin/Meelick areas except for Crescent Comp. Looks like someone didn't do their homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The MD of Direct Route stated in Limerick Leader last week that they were disappointed with traffic through Clonmacken Toll Plaza and thought more people should use it for going to schools.

Our School isn't located at either end of the Tunnel - But for the sake of their investment and disappointing profits once compared with greedy forecasts I will try and detour through it as often as possible, maybe 3 times a week or so......

- Personally I hope it springs a a leak :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

they also forgot about the people who need to use the Dock Road for access to businesses and schools. The MD of Direct Route stated in Limerick Leader last week that they were disappointed with traffic through Clonmacken Toll Plaza and thought more people should use it for going to schools. Well I hope they didn't put in that Plaza and all its associated costs on that assumption cos a simple exercise would have shown that there isn't a single school that could make this route a viable option from Caherdavin/Meelick areas except for Crescent Comp. Looks like someone didn't do their homework.

Quite a lot of Laurel Hill girls living in Cratloe and ennis road. I know they'd hit dock road traffic from the other direction now, but may make a small improvement.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My sister is in Laurel Hill Coláiste, and the Condell Road used to get her into school (from Caherdavin) in about 12 minutes on an average morning in the past year. It takes at least 25 now. The tunnel would bring her out on the far side of the school, and probably wouldn't save much time at all with doubling back towards the South Circular Road.

theres actually so many kids from Ennis Rd side of town heading to both Laurel Hill schools, Clements, a few to Scoil Carmel, not to mention the kids going to primary school The Model, CIE could easily run a bus along the Condel Rd but guess what they said when I suggested it ...... "sur, no one goes to those schools from that side of town" !!!!!!! It would save me 12 yrs of car pooling if there was a bus. Theres no benefit using the Tunnel cos of congestion coming back in the Dock Road and then trying to cross traffic to head up to SCR.

Advertisement