Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions to improve Limerick traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Very true, simple and effective. Make Henry Street 2 way again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Trust me, Limerick does not have traffic problems like Galway. I do not miss it one teeny tiny bit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056031682

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Have a bus service from Raheen to Castletroy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Fix the timing of traffic lights all around the city. Most are awful, 15 seconds for one side of the road and 2 minutes for the other. I agree with the idea of a filter up Careys Road, but the only thing about it though is there is a filter like this if you are turning from Shelbourne road left onto the Ennis Rd to head towards town and 9 times out of ten the front car or a few cars are not turning left so hold up any cars behind them that are turning left, which defeats its purpose and can be frustrating for the cars behind. There are a lot of roads that sensors could be installed at lights also. Very annoying sitting at a red light and no traffic coming from any other direction yet they have a green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Jofspring wrote: »
    Fix the timing of traffic lights all around the city. Most are awful, 15 seconds for one side of the road and 2 minutes for the other. I agree with the idea of a filter up Careys Road, but the only thing about it though is there is a filter like this if you are turning from Shelbourne road left onto the Ennis Rd to head towards town and 9 times out of ten the front car or a few cars are not turning left so hold up any cars behind them that are turning left, which defeats its purpose and can be frustrating for the cars behind. There are a lot of roads that sensors could be installed at lights also. Very annoying sitting at a red light and no traffic coming from any other direction yet they have a green.

The Ennis road/Union Cross one has been changed. The two minor roads now have "turns" to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Monorail

/ends thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

a LART would be nice.
    Rumors for years about one going from Patrickswell to the City.
    ~B

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The lights at the junction of Clare Street / Park Road / Pennywell road are a nuisance but I only e-mailed LCC yestrerday about them.

They are going red at Park Road Junction and then a few seconds later red on Clare Street. So, as some cars still pour through from the Clare Street side Pennywell can only filter through 2-3 cars with the rest managing to block the yellow box.

Also,

Punches Cross coming from the Rosbrien Road. I have timed them and they are giving 5 seconds to traffic which is madness.

It should be at least 20 seconds because it you are ever approaching from Prospect Hill then you are doomed because people on the Rosbrien road do not want to let you out knowing they only have a few seconds themselves and its only gotten worse since the rat run is coming through Greenfields now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I remember a couple of years ago when the short-cut through the petrol station at Punches Cross was closed.
    A couple of days later I spotted Rory McDermott (the city council traffic engineer....95% sure that's his name) having a good look at the scene at 8am.
    Haven't seen him near the place since...they mustn't have covered that particular problem in Traffic-Engineering College.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Berty wrote: »
    The lights at the junction of Clare Street / Park Road / Pennywell road are a nuisance but I only e-mailed LCC yestrerday about them.

They are going red at Park Road Junction and then a few seconds later red on Clare Street. So, as some cars still pour through from the Clare Street side Pennywell can only filter through 2-3 cars with the rest managing to block the yellow box.

This really bugs me. It has to be one of the most stupid sequence of traffic lights I have seen. The other way round would work so much better (Red at Clare st/Pennywell 10ish seconds later Red at Park Rd/Dublin Rd). At least you would be able to get out of Pennywell side.

That's if people bother obeying the lights in the first place, every junction I come to lately at least two cars go through the red light.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Take away the newly establish bus lanes, waste of time get rid of the wide footpaths that are of no use...put a sensor at every light junction...therefore they can change quicker and when there needed..This was promised years ago but still hasn't materialized..

Roxboro road is now a disaster, because of the new orbital route, there is nowhere to park or drop-off kids. In the first week of its introduction there was traffic wardens everywhere they are nowhere to be seen now., Hyde road now a disaster because of newly established lights, the residents of Weston were forgotten about as they can no longer get out of there estate from the backlog of traffic here..

Limerick roads are now a joke....you cant go five meters without a newly established set of lights., which of course can all be turned off when their is a munster game going on....then the pedestrians are left fend for themselves.

They should never be turned off unless there is an accident or late at night when there is hardly a need for them at all. This would also drop running costs in my opinion. When people in the city realize all the government want is for people to use the Tunnel to further enhance their coffers.

I say boycott it and it wont be long before they drop the price of it...

Cheaper toll...more users..more users more money to be made so its ridiculous charging the money they do..

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

phill106 wrote: »
    Monorail

/ends thread

Would only work with stops at every house!!!

Would only work with stops at every house!!!

ah sure every third house would do. I'd walk 2 houses away to get a monorail!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's not all down to traffic lights and raod layouts, some of the traffic back logs are down to poor driving. Teach everyone to obey the rules of the road, be curteous to other road users. On narrow junctions, let oncoming traffic turn right to allow their traffic continue to flow freely. Stop blocking junctions and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Limericks traffic is fine.
    A controversial view. But true. If you think there is any problem with Limerick's traffic, you have never been out of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

This thread, however, is a thread to "improve" Limerick traffic.

We do have it easier than other cities, however, there is still much more for improvement.

cars laser aligned to the road, and connected to a mainframe server to reduce any chance of accidents, or drivers messing up traffic flow.

but seriously;

Put a floodlight on either side of the pedestrian crossing on clare street outside the Art College so you can actually see at night if there is anyone there, its lethal at the moment!!

make pedestrian crossing lights only flash when people are standing there?
    Not limerick specific though, but something i think could work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

phill106 wrote: »
    make pedestrian crossing lights only flash when people are standing there?

Why? Nobody is obeying them anyway... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I just read in the Limerick Leader that the City is getting rid of the roundabout at the shannon Bridge/Dock Road to add a troublesome Traffic lights. At Thread started here about it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056032734

Personally I got fed up with city traffic.

All I can say is it the city method of choking the business out of the city along with the country highest Rates. The city traffic planners will win the prize for the best Traffic management in the country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

zuroph wrote: »
    Put a floodlight on either side of the pedestrian crossing on clare street outside the Art College so you can actually see at night if there is anyone there, its lethal at the moment!!

+1

There have ben several people killed there over the years!

They were talking about the pedestrian crossing there a few weeks ago in the Limerick post, solution to it...add another one further up the road at where pennywell road meets clare street...

two lightbulbs would solve it.

I totally agree with you Zuroph that lights would solve the problem at this particular crossing but tell the idiots we have running the city...

Their solution to everything is add another set of lights here and there causing non stop problems...

In the last 3days they have switched off the traffic lights at the junction of Careys road and Hyde road, result no traffic jams...and not 1 accident..

I beleive they have done this on purpose as they know there would be huge backlogs of traffic here as a result of their silly policys.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

I know this would never happen but anyways...

remove half off the traffic lights outside the city centre over the munster match on the other night they were all off and every bit of traffic seemed to be moving a really good pace.

Sensors def needed at lights juntion at union cross i be at it 6 o clock in the morning going to work and have to wait for about 3 or 4 mins for lights to change and no othertraffic at either sides :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭yammagamma

traffic lights during big matches in city. turning traffic lights flashing red and amber is as far as i can tell against road traffic law.and god help some1 if they drive through the flashing red and kill some1. only place in road traffic law where there is meant to be flashing red is a automatic level crossing and you must stop and not drive through a flashing red.. the flashing red and amber lights crept in from cork where they used to do this about a year before they started it here..it is against road traffic law to drive through a flashing red light.. it used to be a question often in a driving test where do you see a flashing red light...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

zuroph wrote: »
    Limericks traffic is fine.
    A controversial view. But true. If you think there is any problem with Limerick's traffic, you have never been out of the city.

I have driven in cities in the US (Boston, San Francisco, Sunnyvale, San Jose etc etc), Europe (Brussels, Paris, Barcelona) and Asia (Taipei, Hong Kong IIRC). Limerick traffic is NOT a disaster, but not fine IMO.

This evening for example is took me an extra 25 mins to go from Raheen to Corbally because the morons in the Corporation have installed traffic lights just off the Shannon bridge that backed traffic on the Dock all the way out to Raheen, and I'm sure in the city as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

shg101 wrote: »
    I have driven in cities in the US (Boston, San Francisco, Sunnyvale, San Jose etc etc), Europe (Brussels, Paris, Barcelona) and Asia (Taipei, Hong Kong IIRC). Limerick traffic is NOT a disaster, but not fine IMO.

This evening for example is took me an extra 25 mins to go from Raheen to Corbally because the morons in the Corporation have installed traffic lights just off the Shannon bridge that backed traffic on the Dock all the way out to Raheen, and I'm sure in the city as well.

Why would the outbound lane on the Condell road be closed? You can't turn right from the T junction so there's no need to stop traffic.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Why would the outbound lane on the Condell road be closed? You can't turn right from the T junction so there's no need to stop traffic.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Are they allowing right turns now maybe from the side road?

Anyway, what I have seen happen is that cars wanting to turn right after the bridge (up by Seletians) are backing up and blocking the crossing over the bridge so even if the outbound lane was never closed the road still gets blocked.

Advertisement