Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions to improve Limerick traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Raiser wrote: »
    4sdugw.jpg

LCC is in an infitinite loop between "can you blame anyone else?", and "You poor bastard!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

phill106 wrote: »
    Muppets joe! Muppets!
    I mailed info and engineer@limerickcity.ie the pics from this morning.

I hope you laminated and posted them so they can sit around licking them all day......
    bobmeaney wrote: »
    Agreed! Off topic I know, but Im giving serious consideration to using the tunnel on a daily basis (I travel from shannon direction as well). Can I ask what tag you are using? Looking at the tolltag.ie lease option and it looks ok.

Conspiracy Theorists take note - Damn you crooked Tunnelling Fcukers!!!

Raiser wrote: »
    I hope you laminated and posted them so they can sit around licking them all day......

Conspiracy Theorists take note - Damn you crooked Tunnelling Fcukers!!!

pffft email is free. Was thanked and it was forward to two named limerickcity email addresses. Bet i hear nothing more!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

pffft email is free. Was thanked and it was forward to two named limerickcity email addresses. Bet i hear nothing more!

Same here. Maybe they're getting their nuts roasted. Doubt it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

I posted a suggestion in the roundabout thread, which i will repeat here.

In the UK they have a very simple and effective method of keeping traffic moving, before the light turns green, they turn on the orange light as a warning to drivers that the light is about to change.

Result: when the red and orange change to green, everyone's ready to go. It means that people are ready to move as soon as the light goes green, so while the lights might only be green for 20-30 seconds a good few cars still get through the lights.

This video, shows what I mean, at 51 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

foinse wrote: »

In the UK they have a very simple and effective method of keeping traffic moving, before the light turns green, they turn on the orange light as a warning to drivers that the light is about to change.

Result: when the red and orange change to green, everyone's ready to go. It means that people are ready to move as soon as the light goes green, so while the lights might only be green for 20-30 seconds a good few cars still get through the lights.

Great idea in most contries but we seem to have a huge amount of people who go through the first few seconds of red lights here.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

foinse wrote: »

I like it, but would it change much? Generally if im first in the queue at a red light, as soon as its green, im gone! I tend to lookout for things like pedestrian lights, watching when they change, or if i can see the lights to my right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

I like it, but would it change much? Generally if im first in the queue at a red light, as soon as its green, im gone! I tend to lookout for things like pedestrian lights, watching when they change, or if i can see the lights to my right.

I would be the same as you, but not everyone would do this. So yes i think that it would make a difference.
    h3000 wrote: »
    Great idea in most contries but we seem to have a huge amount of people who go through the first few seconds of red lights here.

If people were to know that they would be able to get through without problem, then they would be less likely to try to break the red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Have a bus service from Raheen to Castletroy
    As Long they bypass the City, then yes, otherwise it will get caught up with the idiot Limerick City Council insane Traffic Light everywhere and ramdon sequence idea and keep people away from the city and shop elsewhere but here attitude and annoy the hell out of potential customers.

phog wrote: »
    It's not all down to traffic lights and raod layouts, some of the traffic back logs are down to poor driving. Teach everyone to obey the rules of the road, be curteous to other road users. On narrow junctions, let oncoming traffic turn right to allow their traffic continue to flow freely. Stop blocking junctions and roundabouts.
    You living in planet Zog to believe that teaching everybody the rules of the road will improve their driving, they already know them as they pass the driving test,but do not want to follow them because they do not have to do it again. People know how to be courteous, but do not want to be, we are not in happy land like the US. This is Ireland where we screw each other the wrong way for some sick kicks. do not ask me why???:confused:

• Advertisement

LCC is in an infitinite loop between "can you blame anyone else?", and "You poor bastard!"
    No I disagree, LCC DO Blames everybody else for their problems of they own making and will continue to screw you and claim it is your own fault for complaining about a problem and then they say there is "NO PROBLEM" for them, because it is your Problem and it does not concern them. Just listen to the City Councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

limklad wrote: »
    As Long they bypass the City, then yes, otherwise it will get caught up with the idiot Limerick City Council insane Traffic Light everywhere and ramdon sequence idea and keep people away from the city and shop elsewhere but here attitude and annoy the hell out of potential customers.

Yeah that's what I mean. Unfortunately the best we have is a bus from UL to Raheen twice a day that is badly publicised and not reliable.

Yeah that's what I mean. Unfortunately the best we have is a bus from UL to Raheen twice a day that is badly publicised and not reliable.
    All busses in Limerick/Raheen are not reliable at the best of times and even less reliable with bad city Traffic management with complements of LCC.

When I was in Germany, the bus was 27 secs late. The old guy beside me complained to the bus driver about his tardiness. I would be jumping over the moon with happiness if that happen here.
    Here, I gave up waiting for busses to get into town in the evening. I could be waiting for over 40 mins for a bus that meant to be every 20 mins.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1251473934-304.pdf

I would have walk it in 20mins. It is consistently bad with no traffic @8pm to 10pm. :confused: I now end up staying in the local and not bother going into town for a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

hey, at least you have some kind of a service - there is nothing from Caherdavin/Woodview/Ennis Road area to UL at all - oh wait, ya, there's a bus on a SUNDAY.

Traffic was much better today, did i hear they turned off the lights at salesians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

they turned off at about 8.20 - after they had already caused the same chaos as yesterday.

To answer the original question "Suggestions to improve Limerick Traffic" .................. turn off the blasted lights and leave them off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Hadn't expected this thread to become a Salesians traffic light thread but that seems to be a serious bone of contention with people at the moment.
    Was driving out the Condell road last night heading to Tesco. Normally 5 mins. quick checkout and 5 mins. back into town.
    Stopped at lights for no reason as traffic coming from salesians was turning into town. Lights were green on way back into town which led me to increase speed fearing they would turn red.

On improving traffic generally I reckon if the lights on Henry street were synchronised then a person driving at a safe speed should come to green lights all the way down the street.

they turned off at about 8.20 - after they had already caused the same chaos as yesterday.

To answer the original question "Suggestions to improve Limerick Traffic" .................. turn off the blasted lights and leave them off :D

I feel so bad for them - Its a complete and utter tragedy that the 3 minutes thought put into this by the intellectual Giants of Limerick City Council has been a wasted, futile, embarrassing, ridiculous, expensive, unnecessary waste of time, money and effort.

Oh well.

- Nothing new then.

Presumably they will 'fix' this problem of their own design and implementation in the same time frame as the unbelievably sequenced set of lights by the Horse and Hound Pub

- The only traffic Lights on the Planet that seemingly never turn green.

How could they not know these things so many months later?

Do these People even drive around their own City?

- Or are they just too embarrassed to return to the scenes of their crimes against Motorists :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Unless they can swallow their pride those lights will remain there forever. They will not be removed because somebody will have to admit they were wrong and cost the council a hell of a lot of money.

Leave them and and lets forget this ever happened.

Berty wrote: »
    Unless they can swallow their pride those lights will remain there forever. They will not be removed because somebody will have to admit they were wrong and cost the council a hell of a lot of money.

Leave them and and lets forget this ever happened.

Yep - They would def. do this if they thought they'd get away with it.

However its approx 4km of a gridlocked tailback from these lights to the Tunnel link at the end of the Dock Road.

Not to mention all the other brand new traffic chaos on every other route filtering into this travesty.

- Its going to be damn hard to sweep all those enraged, 30 minutes late for work, Michael-Douglas-in-Falling-Down Drivers under the Carpet.

• Advertisement

In fairness though, I wonder what traffic is like in the mornings around Lower Shelbourne road because Im sure the lights are benefiting those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

maybe they were told by the nra to put the lights there?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Berty wrote: »
    In fairness though, I wonder what traffic is like in the mornings around Lower Shelbourne road because Im sure the lights are benefiting those people.

Not really. The lights go green every 3 minutes, a lot of cars were getting out in that time without the lights.

Anyway, after the disaster that was Monday evening and Tuesday morning, things seemed a lot better yesterday and today (5:45PM Tuesday, 6:15PM today) even though the lights were on.

It looks like you can no longer turn right from Salesians and the outbound lane is green all/most of the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Anybody get stuck on the N7 east bound to Finnigans roundabout last night?

Holy **** it was bad.

I had a astro game in Castletroy collage at 7pm so left Shannon at 6.15pm decided to use tunnel to be there in plenty of time. Normally takes about 25min to half an hour. But not last night. Passed the Ballysimon exit and as I rounded the slight bend, two lanes completly at a stand still. I was stuck and all I could do was crawl along no exits between Ballysimon and Finnigans. Took me nearly an hour to get from just past the Ballysimon exit to Castletroy College and missed 30 minutes of game time:mad:

At least they could have put warning signs before the ballysimon exit and I could have taken that and been on time:mad::mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Word I heard is that it they are preparing the Finnigans to Birdhill section of the M7 for opening next week.

It was madness on the M7/N24 Tipperary Road intersection yesterday at around 5:00pm too due to the roadworks on the N24. Traffic turning right from the slip road out the N24 could not move as the traffic was backed up the whole ways back into town due to the road works. Crazy having the N24 down to one lane at peak rush hour. Ended up turning left and heading past Morrisons Pub and out through Ballyneety to get home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bazz26 wrote: »
    Word I heard is that it they are preparing the Finnigans to Birdhill section of the M7 for opening next week.

Its opening Tuesday. Apparently Noel Dempsey is getting his picture taken and then its opens at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Salesian traffic lights again. Coming frm town waiting at lights to turn towards salesians. Traffic backed up at least 100 feet along bridge. Lights went green but only about 15 cars could go through lights at a time. When I got through the lights myself I could see why. The new 'Lollipop' guy stops traffic everytime a kid or two arrive to cross the road. The previous lollipop lady would wait until there were a small group before stopping traffic.
    I'm all for prioritising pedestrians but stopping traffic every minute is causing traffic to back up to the lights.

At least the section from the NEWPORT Interchange(Not Finnegans) will be open tomorrow so that will ease congestion on the Dublin road side of things.

Traffic heading out the Dublin road will be much quieter because they were yielding to the persistent traffic from the right which will now, mostly, head over the interchange instead.

Salesian traffic lights again. Coming frm town waiting at lights to turn towards salesians. Traffic backed up at least 100 feet along bridge. Lights went green but only about 15 cars could go through lights at a time. When I got through the lights myself I could see why. The new 'Lollipop' guy stops traffic everytime a kid or two arrive to cross the road. The previous lollipop lady would wait until there were a small group before stopping traffic.
    I'm all for prioritising pedestrians but stopping traffic every minute is causing traffic to back up to the lights.

Surely with new traffic lights, lollypop person should be gotten rid of? Or just go along with the lights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

Surely with new traffic lights, lollypop person should be gotten rid of? Or just go along with the lights?
    The lollipop person is usually up the road from the lights so that kids can cross, Lwr Shelbourne Rd.

There is a lollipop person at teh lights at Hassetts X lights as well.

Advertisement