Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Happened On Headford Road

Options
  • 14-09-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭

Was driving back to work at 2pm today and traffic was mental coming off the bridge, while going around the headford road roundabout I could see lots of blue flashing lights on the road opposite Dunnes Stores, anyone hear of anything happening there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Was driving back to work at 2pm today and traffic was mental coming off the bridge, while going around the headford road roundabout I could see lots of blue flashing lights on the road opposite Dunnes Stores, anyone hear of anything happening there.

Don't know but the cops were closing the road off when I was heading back to work at around 2.10pm...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Don't know what's going on

They let me get home to Dun na coiribe, but I don't know if I can get out again!

Can someone let me know when it's re-opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

From Galway Bay FM Website

PEDESTRIAN HOSPITALISED FOLLOWING VEHICLE COLLISION IN CITY

September 14, 2010 - 3:23pm
    A woman in her forties has been taken to hospital after being struck by a vehicle on the Headford road in the city this afternoon.
    The woman was struck by the vehicle at around quarter to two, near the pedestrian crossing close to Dunnes stores.
    She has been taken to university hospital Galway, but the extent of her injuries is not yet known.
    Gardaí say a section of the Headford road in the city is now closed pending a technical examination of the area.

Please God she will bo ok

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Hope she'll be ok! Poor thing :(

I use that crossing frequently and some drivers seem to not notice it and drive straight through the red light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

The woman was struck by the vehicle at around quarter to two, near the pedestrian crossing close to Dunnes stores.
    I use that crossing frequently and some drivers seem to not notice it and drive straight through the red light.

Some pedestrian's don't realise there is a crossing there either and cross all over the place or just don't bother waiting for the little green man. And heading towards town from Dunnes drivers are always running that red light at the roundabout.

Not as bad as the crossing outside Brown Thomas. Someone will get hit there just for the sake of saving a few seconds and not walking up to the pedestrian crossing outside GBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Not as bad as the crossing outside Brown Thomas. Someone will get hit there just for the sake of saving a few seconds and not walking up to the pedestrian crossing outside GBC.

If more people cross there why not just move the crossing from GBC to outside Brown Thomas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

If more people cross there why not just move the crossing from GBC to outside Brown Thomas?

Probably difficult to have a pedestrian crossing on a 90 degree corner I guess. Who knows how Galway City Council works :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

From Galway Bay FM Website

PEDESTRIAN HOSPITALISED FOLLOWING VEHICLE COLLISION IN CITY

September 14, 2010 - 3:23pm
    A woman in her forties has been taken to hospital after being struck by a vehicle on the Headford road in the city this afternoon.
    She has been taken to university hospital Galway, but the extent of her injuries is not yet known.
    Gardaí say a section of the Headford road in the city is now closed pending a technical examination of the area.

Please God she will bo ok

I don't know if this is the root of the problem but traffic is at a stand still all across the city. I've never seen it even close to this bad. Anyone leaving work soon should consider leaving it awhile and going for a walk or visiting a friend. The map below is actual grid lock I've witnessed bout 20 mins ago. If I was a city engineer I'd be very sorry to the people of galway for letting things get this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

That's some traffic!

Hope the lady will be allright. That area around the Bodkin roundabout is a death trap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

its still closed off, i just walked past it there, traffic is a nightmare at the moment, they should really have this cleared up by now.as for the crossing - there should be a walk bridge over that road, there should be no need to stop traffic every time someone wants to cross the road.it would probably have cost the same to put a bridge over it as it did to put the lights and the adjoining concrete island there in the first place.

i hope some of the fianna fail drinking gang get stuck in the traffic today, so they can see how bad things are outside the pale

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Just spoke to the cops at the scene and they said that the lady would be OK. No word on when it'll re-open as yet. The traffic is absolutely mental. Initially I tried to leave by car about half two or so but got turned around by the cops. The road is only open to local traffic going into and out of Dun na Coiribe.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I wanted to visit kylemore abbey today! :mad::mad:

Why is it taking them so long to reopen the road? I can see the scene from my window and no one is doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Nuns island, dominick street, fr griffin road, St marys road, taylors hill, nile lodge all barely moving. Its like race week.

Surely this cant just be the FF cavalcade and the Headford Road collision?

its mainly the headford road, does anyone know if its open yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

BornToBe? wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the root of the problem but traffic is at a stand still all across the city. I've never seen it even close to this bad. Anyone leaving work soon should consider leaving it awhile and going for a walk or visiting a friend. The map below is actual grid lock I've witnessed bout 20 mins ago. If I was a city engineer I'd be very sorry to the people of galway for letting things get this bad.

Did you run out of red ink cause there was alot more than that effected by the chaos. I was half an hour coming outta college raod and doubt bohermore was much better.

God love the lady involved but such a joke that one accident can cause so much gridlock for so many people. Why does the road need to be closed off for 4 hours ? Is it cause all the shades are too bust up in the Ardilaun ???

Like I said, hope the lady involved will make full recovery but our city is a joke.

The road is currently definitely 100% still closed.
    Police line right across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

its mainly the headford road, does anyone know if its open yet

Cant quite tell, Im up at those estates there, what I can see from traffic seems to veeeery slooooowly moving.

soundbyte wrote: »
    Nuns island, dominick street, fr griffin road, St marys road, taylors hill, nile lodge all barely moving. Its like race week.

Surely this cant just be the FF cavalcade and the Headford Road collision?

I think the headford road collision is the only reason. It's forced traffic to back up over the bridge, down the the monagesha(sp) junction and slowed traffic coming out of town too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

Did you run out of red ink cause there was alot more than that effected by the chaos.

no, I just didn't witness that side of town so I couldn't say what was going on. but I would put money on it that it was a city wide gridlock.

As I said, if I was the city engineer, I'd hand in my resignation and apolgise to the people, and who ever is brave enough to sort out the mess I let happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Babalons

The road is still closed out there. Went for a run earlier and the traffic is nuts! Wouldn't like to be in a car on Quincentennial Bridge, westside..... actually anywhere in the city! Hope that lady is ok.

The road is currently definitely 100% still closed.
    Police line right across it.

im-shocked-thats-28478-1252022694-45.jpg

best wishes to the injured lady

BornToBe? wrote: »
    Did you run out of red ink cause there was alot more than that effected by the chaos.

no, I just didn't witness that side of town so I couldn't say what was going on. but I would put money on it that it was a city wide gridlock.

As I said, if I was the city engineer, I'd hand in my resignation and apolgise to the people, and who ever is brave enough to sort out the mess I let happen.
    It's thirty years of planning, investment, objections etc - it's not just one person's fault.

I'm sure the city engineer has great plans but without the cash...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Seamus quirke, bishop o donnell and all access roads are at a crawl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Got a text there, Oranmore to Spiddal via Moneenageesha and docks took 2 hours 20 mins leaving at 3:30pm and that for a 5pm meeting. Hope they brought a weatherproof tent and can find a dry field out there for the night.

Still closed... Still jammers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Ohmygoodness that bridge on a regular day is just about do-able out of necessity really.
    bridge+crash=absurdity. Seriously like, I so pity any-one having to sit on that bridge today.

~Hope injured party(ies) make full recovery.~

I could be really evil and order a chinese and a pizza delivered here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Out of curiousity what would a taxi with a fare do sitting in this traffic for however many hours compared to the staple 10minute fare ..... :eek::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I could be really evil and order a chinese and a pizza delivered here.

Does anywhere do a free pizza offer if it takes more than 30mins to deliver:p

Advertisement