Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Week 2 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

That was one weird week of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Frisbee wrote: »
    Coach in trying to turn a negative into a positive shocker.

Got to take away what ever positives there are rather than sit on negatives. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I was away for the weekend and didn't have much opportunity to get near a computer. Just as well as its this weekend would present the opportunity for me to get banned:D so at least that was one good thing to come out of a miserable weekend.

Its always the same when we meet the Jets, you just can't call that game. Just looking at some stuff written above and the Rex Ryan's comments too.

Thing is the Jets won but the Patriots are the team you would fancy to be competing in the postseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

eagle eye wrote: »
    Thing is the Jets won but the Patriots are the team you would fancy to be competing in the postseason.

I agree for the most part but the Patriots seriously need to fix that secondary. It was dreadful imo. It made Sanchez look like a pro; he was carving us up with ease and moving the ball effectively. Some of that's down to playcalling/Sanchez and some is down to that defense. Butler got tortured a couple of times. Also, why Stephen Gostgowski isn't getting more criticism is beyond me, missing field goals like that when he's normally automatic. Fustrating stuff.

I agree for the most part but the Patriots seriously need to fix that secondary. It was dreadful imo. It made Sanchez look like a pro; he was carving us up with ease and moving the ball effectively. Some of that's down to playcalling/Sanchez and some is down to that defense. Butler got tortured a couple of times. Also, why Stephen Gostgowski isn't getting more criticism is beyond me, missing field goals like that when he's normally automatic. Fustrating stuff.

Well I predicted that the D would not be great for the first half of the season. I think the more games they get the better they will get. They are very young.

• Advertisement

Well I predicted that the D would not be great for the first half of the season. I think the more games they get the better they will get. They are very young.

Yeah they're young and it's a good direction. Trial and error I suppose.

Also, this is pretty cool: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d81ab1a69/One-video-62-touchdowns?module=HP_cp2

All 62 touchdowns of Sunday. So many. Saving the best for last of course. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Honestly I think that's a very shakey thing to say - the Jets have one of the most talented defenses in the league and it's early days but Sanchez looked better than ever this week and once Santonio Homles is back he'll have a talented and exprienced recieving corps to compliment what is looking like a very good tandem at runing back. If by the end of the regular season the Jets' playbook is more in terms of passing formations - and I'm sure that's their ultimate aim - the Jets have every likelyhood of being there or thereabouts in the postseason.

The Patriots, if anything, are an even more unknown quantity outside of the ever-present Brady, Moss and Welker trinity. They have issues at running back, young and inexprienced tight ends as well as what you admit to being a pretty youthful and inexprienced defense. They could turn out to be great, but the Jets are definitely the safer bet at this stage.

I think Rex Ryan's gregarious nature can distract from the fact that the Jets have a good team with real potential and alot of the knee-jerk responses I've seen all over the place about the Jets after week one and even in light of today's episode with Braylon Edwards have been people emotionally wanting the Jets to fail and seizing on anything to try and make it at least appear true.

Syferus wrote: »
    Honestly I think that's a very shakey thing to say - the Jets have one of the most talented defenses in the league and it's early days but Sanchez looked better than ever this week and once Santonio Homles is back he'll have a talented and exprienced recieving corps to compliment what is looking like a very good tandem at runing back. If by the end of the regular season the Jets' playbook is more in terms of passing formations - and I'm sure that's their ultimate aim - the Jets have every likelyhood of being there or thereabouts in the postseason.
    They were playing against a young inexperienced D on Sunday. They looked horrendous against a very good Baltimore D, they won't have much success against a lot of teams this year on offense and I see them losing a lot of games against semi-decent Ds. The Patiots offense was beaten by a great D this past weekend but the strength of the Patriots is their offense which will put up big numbers against most teams.
    The Patriots, if anything, are an even more unknown quantity outside of the ever-present Brady, Moss and Welker trinity. They have issues at running back, young and inexprienced tight ends as well as what you admit to being a pretty youthful and inexprienced defence. They could turn out to be great, but the Jets are defintely the safer bet at this stage.
    The Patriots offense is better than its ever been. They will put up big numbers against most teams. Its all about the D keeping the scores down, as they improve the Patriots will become stronger and stronger. Right now the Patriots have a top offense and a top special teams.
    I think Rex Ryan's gregarious nature can distract from the fact that the Jets have a good team with real potential and alot of the knee-jerk responses I've seen all over the place about the Jets after week one and even in light of today's episode with Braylon Edwards have been people emotionally wanting the Jets to fail and seizing on anything to try and make it at least appear true.
    Tbh, Rex Ryan has a big mouth but I don't actually hate him at all. He is really into what he is doing and while he does say some stupid things I can understand the guy backing his team the way he does. After all that team is full of egos that need regular massaging.
    As soon as they lose a home game that team will fall apart imo and its because of those egos, they will start blaming each other for the loss.

The Jets have a fantastic D as I've said already but you gotta put points on the board and I see them failing to consistently put up big numbers. If you read the very first post in this thread, I predicted a Patriots win last weekend but you really had to after the performances of both sides the week before. What you will notice though is that I pointed out that I wasn't convinced by the Patriots D and in the football betting thread I recommended that people give the game a miss from a betting perspective. I've seen great Patriot teams go to New York and lose, its not a big deal really. Losing at home for either team would be a huge deal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

The Patriots offense is better than its ever been.

Ah now come on. It isn't a patch on '07. It's obviously a very good O, but 3 years ago they'd never have been muted like they were on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Hazys wrote: »
    I think the majority of people in all cases of life would respect a person more for being quietly confident rather than a loud mouth telling anybody who will listen to them how, great they are. For anybody who feels the need to tell you how good they are at something, it reaks of insecurity.

Not to take away from the Jets win, but i dont like how they carry themselves and act, and it sets a bad example. You dont see the Saints (the best team in football at d mo) acting like that, the Saint are a classy organisation, the Jets not so much.
    The Jets do an awful lot of whooping and a hollering and they dont have an awful lot to show for it. The AFC East will be a competitive division this year and New York wont always get its own way. Win something first, back up the words with deeds. Then people might listen.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Ah now come on. It isn't a patch on '07. It's obviously a very good O, but 3 years ago they'd never have been muted like they were on Sunday.

I don't mind saying that we were stopped by a top D last weekend, a championship calibre D actually.
    I think the Patriots have a far better O this year than back then.
    We didn't have a tight end who could block, we now have two of them in Crumpler and Gronk. We didn't have a H-back, we now have Hernandez. These are not just improvements, they are huge improvements.

Fred Taylor is an improvement on everybody we had the in the running game that year. The loss of Faulk now is a problem, we will see how that works out but we only had one option to replace him in 07 and that was Maroney, we now have two options.

As far as receivers are concerned, I think that Tate and Edelman are very special and are way better than Gaffney and Stallworth.

The OL has improved too with Vollmer a huge addition since that time. The loss of Mankins at the minute is a problem but not that big.

davyjose wrote: »

To be fair had Brady actually used the rest of his offense instead of forcing the ball to Moss they wouldn't have been muted. Sunday was a prime example in my eyes of bad decisions and play calling by coach and QB. He should have stuck to spreading the ball about instead of trying to hit Moss in double coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Is Welker still feeling the effects of that injury? it seems he wasnt targeted in the 2nd Half.

Is Welker still feeling the effects of that injury? it seems he wasnt targeted in the 2nd Half.

Nope he is in full health. Bad play calling and decision making by brady really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Ah hold on here now.

Jets fans dont mind being called cocky etc but Revis Christ the Patriots fans here are unreal.The 2nd half on Sunday the Jets without Jenkins,Revis,Pace and at times Mangold destroyed them.Yet i come on here and read that the Patriots are the real team to watch come the postseason.Thats an unreal sense of arrogance.

Fins are 2-0,Jets lost by one point to an excellent Ravens team along with giving up 125yard in penalties and somehow the Pats fans here are saying how great this offence is and how a young defence will get better etc.

At least the Jets are upfront about being arorgant.

Or maybe just like your QB Justin Beiber ye cant see the wood from the trees with all the hair in your eyes.

raven136 wrote: »
    Ah hold on here now.

Jets fans dont mind being called cocky etc but Revis Christ the Patriots fans here are unreal.The 2nd half on Sunday the Jets without Jenkins,Revis,Pace and at times Mangold destroyed them.Yet i come on here and read that the Patriots are the real team to watch come the postseason.Thats an unreal sense of arrogance.

Fins are 2-0,Jets lost by one point to an excellent Ravens team along with giving up 125yard in penalties and somehow the Pats fans here are saying how great this offence is and how a young defence will get better etc.

Or maybe just like your QB Justin Beiber ye cant see the wood from the trees with all the hair in your eyes.

That's right tar us all with the same brush. Sweeping generalisations will get you far. Only one Pats fan mentioned the bit in bold and italics

No he's fine. He's had a good load of receptions and three touchdowns (up on four from last year!); he's in good health it seems. Just dreadful play on offense didn't give him any action in 2nd half.

Ah hold on here now.

If us Patriots fans are "unreal on here", you're not exactly setting the shining example of a Jets fan on "here" imo.

That's right tar us all with the same brush. Sweeping generalisations will get you far. Only one Pats fan mentioned the bit in bold and italics

C'mon its the internet,isnt that what sweeping generalisations were made for:D

In fairness i shouldnt have said ye were all arrogant,ye just all hate the Jets

C'mon its the internet,isnt that what sweeping generalisations were made for:D

In fairness i shouldnt have said ye were all arrogant,ye just all hate the Jets

Hate is such a strong word ;)

• Advertisement

"Extreme dislike" may be more suiting. ;)

I think it's just Rex Ryan that I don't really like. As do many, many others I'll take it!

I think it's just Rex Ryan that I don't really like. As do many, many others I'll take it!

As a Pats fan I can't stand the Jets. But one thing I don't do when I judge a game or performance is base it off any bias opinion.

TBH id hate Rex Ryan if he wasnt the Jets coach as i would hate a lot of the yappers on the Jets if they played for anyone else.
    They are a real marmite team.

I agree. Nothing infuriates me more than a fan who's unwilling to point out their team's mistakes. Case in point: see some of the Premier League's fans. Not just that sport, happens everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I agree. Nothing infuriates me more than a fan who's unwilling to point out their team's mistakes. Case in point: see some of the Premier League's fans. Not just that sport, happens everywhere.

Spot on. You have to take your wins and losses and learn from both.

Wouldnt mind PL fans in Ireland. They know nothing and are a national embarassment.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Spot on. You have to take your wins and losses and learn from both.

Wouldnt mind PL fans in Ireland. They know nothing and are a national embarassment.
    We don't care, this is an American football thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ah hold on here now.

What did you expect? These same Pat's have spend the off-season and this whole week telling everyone how the Jets are actually an average team Sanchez is a poor QB so they need massive theirs egos a bit after the hammering they took when the Jets beat them.

What did you expect? These same Pat's have spend the off-season and this whole week telling everyone how the Jets are actually an average team Sanchez is a poor QB so they need massive theirs egos a bit after the hammering they took when the Jets beat them.

WTF are you talking about. To be honest with you chucky your constant hate for Pats fans is getting pathetic at this point. Every chance you get you make snide remarks on how we are all band wagon and try knock our opinions and to be honest you are the worst for taring us all with the same brush.

I stand by my conviction on Sanchez and the Jets Offense to be honest with you one game isn't going to change my opinion. I also stand by the fact they are overrated and this season will either prove me wrong or prove me right. Marathon and not a sprint and all of that

Lastly About all of us Pats fans on here bar maybe 1 or 2 have said their Defense is strong and said that was one of our worries. As for our egos :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

The last 5-10posts are part of the reason I hate Jets-Patriots matches. Number 1 is I don't like either team so I never know who to shout for, but the other thing is the absolute amount of SH!T talked about both teams. Little logic ever emerges from these games. Also it wasn't exactly the greatest game in the world.

Its the 2nd game of the season, every team still has a chance of winning the superbowl, if this was the week 13game or something then it would be worth reading into, but both these teams will look different come week 13 and one of them will not make the playoff's!

• Advertisement

The last 5-10posts are part of the reason I hate Jets-Patriots matches. Number 1 is I don't like either team so I never know who to shout for, but the other thing is the absolute amount of SH!T talked about both teams. Little logic ever emerges from these games. Also it wasn't exactly the greatest game in the world.

Its the 2nd game of the season, every team still has a chance of winning the superbowl, if this was the week 13game or something then it would be worth reading into, but both these teams will look different come week 13 and one of them will not make the playoff's!

Christ above it's only a discussion. We've been without football for months I think we're entitled to go over games however way we like!

Advertisement