Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine Marten

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 richiculous

Almost certain I saw my first one there a few hours ago. Are they common around water? It was at a riverbank, and I know they eat plenty of frogs, small birds and rats which there are plenty of where I was...only saw it for a few seconds before it disappeared back into the cover. It was much smaller than I thought they are so I thought maybe it was perhaps a young one? Even though I only saw it for a few seconds, I immediately registered it as a pine marten...had a dark brown bushy tail, black beady eyes and a sort of creamy coloured patch of fur on the front of its neck which I also expected to be much larger. I've never seen a stoat either, am convinced it was a pine marten though, any opinions? I'm delighted anyway, love seeing wildlife I haven't seen before. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Almost certain I saw my first one there a few hours ago. Are they common around water? :)

I beleive they are more common in woodland and scrub habitats, but that is not to saw they won't exploit other areas with abundant food. :)

PS: Another possibiliy is that is might be an escaped ferret - they are around and I personally clocked 2 on the edge of the Curragh a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 35 richiculous

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I beleive they are more common in woodland and scrub habitats, but that is not to saw they won't exploit other areas with abundant food. :)

PS: Another possibiliy is that is might be an escaped ferret - they are around and I personally clocked 2 on the edge of the Curragh a few years back

Hmmm, I did think that they were more common in woodlands alright. It wasn't woods by any means but there were plenty of large trees and hedges around. I really doubt it was a ferret, my friend has 2 ferrets and they are much skinnier in proportion to their length than the pine martens are. I'm not sure what it was, part of me hopes it was a pine marten given their rarity, maybe it was something else like a ferret, I wish I saw it for longer. I go fishing in the same spot very often so maybe I'll get a better look next time. :D I was amazed at how close it was to me, only about 6 feet or so from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Could it have been a mink because it was so close to a river?
    A mink and a pine marten would be of similar size anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

"creamy coloured patch of fur on the front of its neck"
    clinches it as a Pine Marten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

Almost certain I saw my first one there a few hours ago. Are they common around water? It was at a riverbank, and I know they eat plenty of frogs, small birds and rats which there are plenty of where I was...only saw it for a few seconds before it disappeared back into the cover. It was much smaller than I thought they are so I thought maybe it was perhaps a young one? Even though I only saw it for a few seconds, I immediately registered it as a pine marten...had a dark brown bushy tail, black beady eyes and a sort of creamy coloured patch of fur on the front of its neck which I also expected to be much larger. I've never seen a stoat either, am convinced it was a pine marten though, any opinions? I'm delighted anyway, love seeing wildlife I haven't seen before. :)

you will find pine marten using rivers to hunt, seen then near a river flowing through our land and i find there scats ( poo) on stones in the middle of the river.

9ss568.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I live about 10 minutes from the Slieve Blooms and travel the mountain roads quite frequently. There is an abundance of Pine Marten, Stoat, and mink in the area.

I've noticed a sizeable increase in Pine Marten numbers to the extent that i see one at least once a day.
    LostCovey wrote: »
    It is incredible to watch one dragging a rabbit!

Driving about a week ago or so while doing maintenance for a local elderly man on his farm. A rabbit came bolting out of one gate and done a 180 and ran into the gate next to it. I was doing about 10Kph so wondered why it turned so sharly as i was at least 30 mtrs away, but got my answer as i approched the gate and a stoat came running around the gate, turned and followed the rabbit. I stopped to watch.

Its unbelieveable that such a small animal can take a rabbit. Its was at least 3 to 4 times smaller than the rabbit. Anyway, he just kept on chasing the rabbit, never letting off and eventually the rabbit ran out of steam and the stoat took the opportunity. They are fierce little predators. Great to watch though.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Still the holy grail of Irish Mammals. Havn't seen one yet. However yesterday whilst driving the old Dublin rd east from Mountrath about 4km I saw a badly decomposed one on the side of the road. 1km further another. This time in godd condition. I stopped to look. it was too far gone for taxidermy but coat was intact with yellow marking. The funny thing was the terrain. Farmland! Where the second one was there was an old abbey and graveyard. Wouldn't mind betting they're in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Last weekend I saw pine martin droppings full of ivy seeds and stained bright pink. I also saw a dead one in Donegal. There was so much traffic I couldnt stop to pick it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Last weekend I saw pine martin droppings full of ivy seeds and stained bright pink. I also saw a dead one in Donegal. There was so much traffic I couldnt stop to pick it up

They are everywhere in the west - I can't think of a habitat that they are absent from, bar towns......so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Saw my first one yesterday running along the top of a dry stone wall on farmland in county galway. Thought it was a cat at first glance, surprised at the bushy tail. Couldn't believe my dog came back when I called him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Has anyone heard the theory that Pine Marten numbers are increasing in areas with Grey Squirrels? I was told (by some one who might not know what they are talking about!) that Martens are eating the Greys and thriving in areas with large Grey populations. Apparently the Red Squirrel being smaller and more agile isn't as easy for the Martens to catch - it can move out onto thinner branches that won't take the weight of the Marten. Could be another new myth of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

Pine martens came here to north kk about 3 years ago.The grey squirrels disappeared and the reds are back after being absent for 20 years.
    Because martens were never in the area,people dont know what they are and I know of 3 that have been shot in henhouses .One man told me he shot"a big red mink"
    I got a picture of one on the trail cam in my own hen run,he had killed a hen that roosted outside and would not go in the shed.Love seeing them around,fabulous animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Reds tend to feed more in the tree tops, while greys spend more time feeding on the ground making them more vulnerable to the pine marten.

There was research done on this in Scotland and NUIG are currently doing research into it in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 mintoffdom

Saw one in the back garden this morning!

mintoffdom wrote: »
    Saw one in the back garden this morning!

Where u based?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 mintoffdom

Sandyford. Didn't know there were any east of the Shannon, never mind on the edge of the city!

I have seen squirrels (both colours) - foxes and badgers are common. Bats galore; hedgehogs - but never one of these.

Unreal!!!!!!!!!!! Would say Dublin sightings are rare. Common but elusive in wicklow, Kildare, Laoise, offaly. Are you backing on to forestry?. IE three rock,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Had a pine martin on our bird table last night, sat there munching for 15minutes, not a worry about us being just 6ft away but he/she ran like the clappers when the badger turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Saw one near the house last night :) I hadn't seen him for a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

so they have finally arrived in Dublin. thank god. I really want to see one. if anyone hass a regular garden visitor in the Leinster area and wouldnt mind me watching it for a little while. drop me a pm all I require is a cup of tea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

great thread and great pics , love pine martens , anyone got any tips on how i could attract them to my garden ? there are not a big amount of them in donegal to start with ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 michaelmouse

Only ever seen one once, was amazed at how dark/black his coat was. Was running along the road near strawberry beds beside Liffey. Amazing sight. I went mad with excitement in the car.. i was with company who didnt give a rats. I hate that. Bigger than I thought. A weasel/stoat wouldnt have a dark/black coat would it? Dont ruin my moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

If you want to attract them,get some hens.One killed 9 of mine a week ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Marten chocolate brown with creamy yellow splotch on chest.
    Stoat smaller and slender all white from chin thru belly to tail

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

saw this last weekend in Crom estate in County Fermanagh. It had eaten lots of Damsons

Advertisement