Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

Can i ask, how do i post a picture that i dont ahve on the internet? Like, one that i have saved in 'my pictures'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Can i ask, how do i post a picture that i dont ahve on the internet? Like, one that i have saved in 'my pictures'?

you'll need to host it somewhere and then link to it

Oh,, okay, thanks ,but how do i do that? Sorry I'm not that great at all this stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Upload the picture to a hosting site like Flickr, Photobucket, or the one I used to use; Imageshack. You then just copy the URL and put it in the IMG brackets [img.]URL HERE[/img.] (Just remember the '.' in the brackets)

Brilliant, I'll try that, thank you :)

• Advertisement

MindPhuck wrote: »
    3-Vietnam-Huey-Choppers.jpg

I have that picture at home. I suspect it's ARVN troops on account that not almost none of them (or any that I can tell) have mitchell leaf helmet covers; which is something that vietnamese troops tended not to have issued to them.
    1266297575277.jpg

and if I'm not mistaken; that photo was taken from atop the US embassy during the final days of the Vietnam war in 1975; Huey's on top of the embassy airlifted people out whilst thet last remaining troops in the embassy used gas masks and tear-gas to hold the upper floors of the embassy when the walls were overrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Those mine sniffing rats are bloody well darn right funky and cool. When I saw the pic I went googling and was fascinated by the concept. (I'm not being funny or sarcastic, I actually do think that is neat)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Lemming wrote: »
    I have that picture at home. I suspect it's ARVN troops on account that not almost none of them (or any that I can tell) have mitchell leaf helmet covers; which is something that vietnamese troops tended not to have issued to them.

and if I'm not mistaken; that photo was taken from atop the US embassy during the final days of the Vietnam war in 1975; Huey's on top of the embassy airlifted people out whilst thet last remaining troops in the embassy used gas masks and tear-gas to hold the upper floors of the embassy when the walls were overrun.

cool!! wasnt clued into the story of the pix, they just look excellent and tell a 1000 stories. thanks for that.

MindPhuck wrote: »
    cool!! wasnt clued into the story of the pix, they just look excellent and tell a 1000 stories. thanks for that.

Being lazy; have a read of the Wiki entry on the events leading up to and including Operation Frequent Wind.

And a couple of the many, many bits of video footage and interviews you can find;

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Two of the worst ergonomically designed tanks ever made... T-54 and T-62. (T-55 is sortof OK)

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Mindphuck are the pics from prague?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Almost certainly. The only other likely possibility would be Budapest, but the T-62 rules that out.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Side mounted Eotech..that's how you do it:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Blay wrote: »
    Side mounted Eotech..that's how you do it:pac:

I knew someone would get there before me.

Why you'd mount a sight like that is beyond me........the mind boggles :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

I knew someone would get there before me.

Why you'd mount a sight like that is beyond me........the mind boggles :eek:

It looks like he has a scope on top so the side mount is for close quarters.

Plus with the slick hair id say he loves his tacticool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Beez wrote: »
    It looks like he has a scope on top so the side mount is for close quarters.

Plus with the slick hair id say he loves his tacticool.
    It does make sense from that perspective. I was just thinking it means the firing position is quite high, and I presume that the eotech is pretty far forward which reduces the field of view when using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Looks like Irish DPM to me !
    5220209964ca46dab65eb.jpg
    Afghanistan, Nov. 26, 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Non, mon ami, je pense qu'il ressemble français.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Wot Ozcam said. Note SMG on deck beside rifle. An MP5 maybe ???

Yes, the grip looks like an MP5, but the mag looks like a G36 one. Hmmm. Anyone ID the rifle? It looks very modern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

G36 with teh noob toob lulz

Ahem sorry, it does appear to be a Heckler & Koch G36 with a AG36 mounted on it.

So it is. The AG36 had me confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

a few pictures about of French forces with g36 line floating around, but defiantly a French unit i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭mafo

The rifle on the picture is the French PGM Ultima Ratio Commando

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Mindphuck are the pics from prague?
    sorry I missed this - the pics are from Moscow as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

covered by warranty !!
    Lit-Up-Humvee.jpg

As Manic Moran would say, not-a-tank. :) But for something that was originally designed for non-combat utility transport, one tough bastard.

Question: what's with all the backpacks? I thought most patrols these days used vehicles as primary transport, and the footsoldiers operate from and around them. There's lots of places, like compounds and narrow streets that the vehicles don't go, but are the grunts carrying overnight stuff? or is it mainly food, water & batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I'd say it'd mostly be food, water and ammo that they'd be carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

OzCam wrote: »
    As Manic Moran would say, not-a-tank. :) But for something that was originally designed for non-combat utility transport, one tough bastard.

Question: what's with all the backpacks? I thought most patrols these days used vehicles as primary transport, and the footsoldiers operate from and around them. There's lots of places, like compounds and narrow streets that the vehicles don't go, but are the grunts carrying overnight stuff? or is it mainly food, water & batteries?

i would imagine vehicles are not always possible depending on terrain and at times it appears safer to operate on foot

at that point infantry will do as infantry have always done and carry the gear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

this probobly isnt the right section but can any body tell me what the current side arm (pistol) is of russia and is it a glock 17 ?? or a contraption of their own :P

Advertisement