Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Zabul is Romanian territory, they basically run FOB Laghman...
    NTM

I'm sure you meant Romanian AOR. I doubt the allegedly corrupt, allegedly incompetent and allegedly useless Afghan Government would like anyone to think that Zabul wasn't their sovereign territory.

RIP to the fallen (which, for the benefit of other readers, includes several Romanians).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

whydave wrote: »
    Avtomat Kalashnikova!
    ak47_3a.jpg

tokyo marui ak47 ftw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

''now cut the red one !!!''
    1566ebr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Sorry about chat on other thread(kicking self up the ar$e)

Does anyone know who the dude is?

Dave usually tell us who,where and why.

Dogwatch wrote: »
    anyone know who the dude is?

80754562.jpg

sorry no info him this is all I have ''Mexican Marines taking drug cartel members in to custody.''

• Advertisement

whydave wrote: »
    80754562.jpg

sorry no info him this is all I have ''Mexican Marines taking drug cartel members in to custody.''

WHY, Dave:D:D:D :p:p

think they're sayin nice things !:D
    aaq.sized.jpg

Wolfhound is the new 6x6 cargo version of the Mastiff. Both of them can mount either a GPMG, heavy or Grenade machine gun in either a powered turret or a RCWS. The Wolfhound is more of a truck than a squad carrier. The one in the MOD's photo from the testing track was configured more for IED protection than assault. Ridgeback is a 4x4 version.

See http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/fighting-vehicles/13867.aspx for more photos.

Feedback from A'stan is that the Mastiff is a fine vehicle, more comfortable than might be expected and very well protected. It's also a lot easier to get in and out of than the Aussie Bushmaster and not as top-heavy as some of the US vehicles. The only drawback seems to be the sheer size and weight of it.

There's also another version coming, designed for route clearance. C&S magazine have featured them recently. It's kinda hard to remember which of the dog names refers to which vehicle, there's a whole pack* of them coming into service.

* See what I did there...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

think they're sayin nice things !

I'm kindof curious about the earplugs.

When I did the infiltration course, yes, they were firing rounds and setting off explosions, but you didn't really want to be standing up on the course as it was going on, just in case the T&E tipped.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

When I did the infiltration course, yes, they were firing rounds and setting off explosions, but you didn't really want to be standing up on the course as it was going on, just in case the T&E tipped.

NTM

Typical Health and Safety at work

• Advertisement

NTM
    It is to ensure they do not deafen themselves. After all they are constantly barraged by the sound of their own voices at maximum volume.:eek::eek:

Gotta love USMC Drill Sergeants

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Dogwatch wrote: »
    It is to ensure they do not deafen themselves. After all they are constantly barraged by the sound of their own voices at maximum volume.:eek::eek:

Gotta love USMC Drill Sergeants

I prefere the we dont listen to private pile cry like little girls devices

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Gatling wrote: »
    I prefere the we dont listen to private pile cry like little girls devices

Here ya go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Nf1MK7lts&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

I never realised they stacked sh1t that high!

palash02.jpg

TAKE YOU HITS !!!!:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whats the name of the cruiser that boards Autocensored it?:p

Those private security lads look well professional:rolleyes:

USS Gettysburg.

boards.ie didn't censor it, someone else did. That particular autocensor produces some spectacularly idiotic results sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Whats the idea of the RPG? For Special Operations, simular to a FN SCAR-H?

What ever it is, it's butt ugly :(

Couldn't be more different. I wouldn't want to use the "Mk777" for room clearing... One's a carbine, the other's a rocket launcher!

Not sure what to make of it. For starters, I can't for the life of me figure out how you're supposed to use the sight on the top rail. Other pictures of the system also show an M4-style buttstock behind the second handgrip.

They'd have done better spending the money on more M3s.

BTW, "Mk" is usually a US Navy designation, or, in this case, a factory internal designation. I've not seen it type classified by the US Army, though the Mk777 has been around since the beginning of 2009.

NTM

Couldn't be more different. I wouldn't want to use the "Mk777" for room clearing... One's a carbine, the other's a rocket launcher!

Not sure what to make of it. For starters, I can't for the life of me figure out how you're supposed to use the sight on the top rail. Other pictures of the system also show an M4-style buttstock behind the second handgrip.

They'd have done better spending the money on more M3s.

BTW, "Mk" is usually a US Navy designation, or, in this case, a factory internal designation. I've not seen it type classified by the US Army, though the Mk777 has been around since the beginning of 2009.

NTM

Ok i said that a bit badly. What i ment was simular to the SCAR-H using 7.62x39 it uses RPG rockets :)

• Advertisement

The standard issue SCAR-H uses 7.62x51. Sure, it's possible to fit a 7.62x39 conversion to it, but you can do that with a lot of rifles.

colt_ar15_rifle_762_hybridmagazine_rambo.jpg

7.62x39 is quite a popular calibre for AR-15s in the US, it's often large enough for hunting, and the ammo is a lot cheaper than 5.56mm/.223.

NTM

The standard issue SCAR-H uses 7.62x51. Sure, it's possible to fit a 7.62x39 conversion to it, but you can do that with a lot of rifles.

colt_ar15_rifle_762_hybridmagazine_rambo.jpg

7.62x39 is quite a popular calibre for AR-15s in the US, it's often large enough for hunting, and the ammo is a lot cheaper than 5.56mm/.223.

NTM

I thought it used 7.62x39 as standard :o
    Actully i saw a picture on the news the other day of a US soldier, he looked like a marine, using an AKM with a RIS front handguard and side folding stock. He was deffiently not a contracter.
    I suppose he could have picked it up but it didn't look like your typical Iraqi AK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

swiftblade wrote: »
    I thought it used 7.62x39 as standard :o
    Actully i saw a picture on the news the other day of a US soldier, he looked like a marine, using an AKM with a RIS front handguard and side folding stock. He was deffiently not a contracter.
    I suppose he could have picked it up but it didn't look like your typical Iraqi AK.

7.62 x 39 is the russian caliber used in the ak47/akm pattern rifles, the pkm and dragunov use 7.62 x 54r which is also the moisin nagant round afaik

The nato 7.62 is 7.62 x 51

The second number denotes case length (iirc) in mm

According to Soldier Systems, the Mk777 name is taken from the weight of the item, 7.77lbs. It's not an official service designation.

The manufacturer's idea seems to be to offer a well-made RPG launcher that can be confidently used by US forces for training or when working with allies who have a lot of rounds available. I agree with MM though, the EOTech on the demo model can only be for show. It might be possible to mount a sight from the EGLM or something like it on that rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

It would want to be slighty off-set to the side too, otherwise they will have soldiers with funny shaped necks after awhile.

Class !
    2lvz5ae.jpg

Britain is considering selling a fleet of fighter jets it can no longer afford to fly, government minister Peter Luff was quoted as saying on Monday in an interview with the Financial Times. India is the most likely purchaser of the Harrier, according to the newspaper.
    cvxc.jpg

SKYNET ........ Were is John Connor !!!!!!
    220px-John_Connor_T4.JPG

An unmanned vehicle is seen during a demonstration as part of a Homeland Security Conference at Ben Gurion international airport near Tel Aviv November 2, 2010. Israel is considering making the driverless vehicles a part of a new security regimen to be instituted at the airport by 2012.

erwe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

Is that unmanned vehicle armed at all or is it just for recon?

• Advertisement

It's Israeli, what do you think? If it isn't now, it soon will be. The turret from the Merkava is probably too heavy, but I'm sure they'll think of something. They don't do subtlety, bless 'em.

Advertisement